Summer Concert Roll Call

billsfanmiami(oh)

if you are going to one of the TX shows, most of them are not unknown artists, or country....head and the heart are a great singer songwriter group, edie brickell....still have a major crush on her, even if she does beat paul simon on a regular basis, Ryan Bingham is awesome and Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real are really hot...oh and he's Willie's kid.....too bad you aren't getting Van Morrison, he's on the Philly bill.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Fiance just bought be tickets for the Outlaw Music Festival tour. Willie Nelson headliner. Sturgil Simpson. (Look him up, sounds like he came right out of the 70s.) And a bunch of other unknown country artists. Looked up the lineup. I thought good country was dead. It isn't. It's just not on the radio anywhere.

19 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Did he play mostly solo stuff, or Aerosmith?

90% Aerosmith, with a few excellent covers (Whole Lotta Love, Piece of My Heart, Come Together) and two songs from his latest album, which were much better live than on the recording.   

Going in, I was worried about the set list being "country-fied" but it was a straight-up rock show... 

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

90% Aerosmith, with a few excellent covers (Whole Lotta Love, Piece of My Heart, Come Together) and two songs from his latest album, which were much better live than on the recording.   

Going in, I was worried about the set list being "country-fied" but it was a straight-up rock show... 

So is he done with Aerosmith then? I've read rumors that he was gonna tour with the remaining members of LZ a few years ago, but I guess it never came to fruition. 

5 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

So is he done with Aerosmith then? I've read rumors that he was gonna tour with the remaining members of LZ a few years ago, but I guess it never came to fruition. 

I believe Aerosmith's going out again this fall, but mostly outside the U.S.   They played the New Orleans Jazz Festival in April, so they're still keeping active...

A buddy called me with an extra ticket to Sheryl Crow at the Botanical Gardens at Piedmont Park, Atlanta last week. Not exactly my thing, but I was shocked at how much fun I had. Great venue, good music, selling wine by the bottle, and I didn’t get arrested when I accidentally wandered into the unmarked but restricted area where the band busses were located waiting to head out. When they threatened arrest, I said “well, maybe somebody should have stopped me then! I may be a bit drunk, but I’ll be sober in the morning. Will you and your people be competent tomorrow? Or more of the same?”  Or...something like that. Good times. I’m usually much more gentle, but she was not a nice person. 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

A buddy called me with an extra ticket to Sheryl Crow at the Botanical Gardens at Piedmont Park, Atlanta last week. Not exactly my thing, but I was shocked at how much fun I had. Great venue, good music, selling wine by the bottle, and I didn’t get arrested when I accidentally wandered into the unmarked but restricted area where the band busses were located waiting to head out. When they threatened arrest, I said “well, maybe somebody should have stopped me then! I may be a bit drunk, but I’ll be sober in the morning. Will you and your people be competent tomorrow? Or more of the same?”  Or...something like that. Good times. I’m usually much more gentle, but she was not a nice person. 

I've hung out by the bus plenty of times and got autographs. Chuck Berry, REO Speedwagon Creedence Clearwater Revisited (original bass player and drummer. More than a tribute band, less than the real thing) and George Thorogood. As long as the saw the record and sharpie in my hand, they didn't have a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I looked up user reviews of Willie Nelson on Ticketmaster to see what people think of how he sounds in his old age. One user wrote "It seemed like Willie was high on pot the whole time. 2 stars." Honestly, if he doesn't seem high when I go see him on Sunday, I'll probably ask for a refund.

I thought you meant "Nelson"

was hoping you meant Willie....

Thursday I'll be making the 2 hour trip to Buffalo Canalside for Umphrey's McGee and Big Something.  If you love guitar work you should be there as well.  It's only $5!  Beth Hart will be playing in July and she is an amazing female blues singer.  

Any of you Buffalonians have any advice about parking/what to expect/ etc?  It says it goes from 5 to 10 but what time do the bands usually go on?

11 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Also just found out Chubby Checker is doing a free concert on the 3rd. Didn't even know he was alive, let alone still performing. Willie on Sunday, and Chubby Checker on Tuesday. Two living legends of their respective genre.

he is all over the place for shows and appearances

in 2000 i was in Little Rock and saw that The Killer was in town for 2 shows that week, I regret not going to see him.

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

he is all over the place for shows and appearances

in 2000 i was in Little Rock and saw that The Killer was in town for 2 shows that week, I regret not going to see him.

I skipped a Jerry Lee show and stil regret it. Saw Chuck Berry a few years back. Got his autograph. He wasn't what he used to be, but he was 83 years old, and a living legend, so I'm glad I went. 

Chubby lives very close to me in Paoli, I've seen him taking his garbage out...nearly ran off the road trying to call my Mom to let her know I just saw him :D

54 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Also just found out Chubby Checker is doing a free concert on the 3rd. Didn't even know he was alive, let alone still performing. Willie on Sunday, and Chubby Checker on Tuesday. Two living legends of their respective genre.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Going to see Kenny Wayne Shepard and Beth Hart in July.

Fab 4 (Beatles tribute) in August.

Also Slayer/Anthrax/Lamb of God in August.

They put on a fun show. Nothing computerized. Nothing but four guys, granted with two synths when they get into the later stuff, for obvious reasons. One of the best tribute bands I've ever seen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.