Another school shooting - Texas

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

While the NHLPA makes sure the players are rightly compensated through the CBA that includes a pension plan.

MODS!!! I don't come to this board to discuss HOCKEY!! Take you hockey talk north of the border, you damn freaks! <_<

Just now, LABillzFan said:

MODS!!! I don't come to this board to discuss HOCKEY!! Take you hockey talk north of the border, you damn freaks! <_<

Sorta reminds me of that old joke I went to the fights the other night and a hockey game broke out.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

If dogs could do that (I don't know) that is a great idea !

They can, easily, and the deterrent factor would be incalculable.

I've proposed this idea to my local legislators, having watched the efficacy of dogs in the drug interdiction realm coming through customs for years.

Makes so much sense, but I can't bang the drum any louder.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

They can, easily, and the deterrent factor would be incalculable.

I've proposed this idea to my local legislators, having watched the efficacy of dogs in the drug interdiction realm coming through customs for years.

Makes so much sense, but I can't bang the drum any louder.

Are you talking actual weapons like a pistol or rifle in addition to explosives? If so, it's a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Are you talking actual weapons like a pistol or rifle in addition to explosives? If so, it's a no brainer.

I'm talking about a dog's ability to sniff out explosives.

Bullets are explosives, and can be detected.

Dogs can do this.

I have been suggesting this for a couple years, having watched dogs used by customs/immigration for years.

Such an obvious deterrent, and not expensive at all.

A dog greets the kids as they enter, and is used for anyone allowed in after the normal start of the day.

What is wrong with this idea?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Dogs can do this.

I have been suggesting this for a couple years, having watched dogs used by customs/immigration for years.

A dog greets the kids as they enter, and is used for anyone allowed in after the normal start of the day.

Dogs are aggressive and kill black people.  Duh.

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Dogs can do this.

It's a great idea. I was just questioning a dog's ability to sniff out explosives inside a casing. My experience with this is zilch so I'll believe what you say and become a supporter of the idea.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

It's a great idea. I was just questioning a dog's ability to sniff out explosives inside a casing. My experience with this is zilch so I'll believe what you say and become a supporter of the idea.

Dogs can be trained to smell bullets.

Dogs at doors deter high school punks.

Dogs are a lot cheaper than officers.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

I don't think I am, and I am tired of reading these casualty stories. 

10 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Dogs can do this.

Bullets aren't explosive.  You probably mean "ammunition," but ammunition isn't "explosive," either.  It contains propellant...which is not quite the same thing as containing explosives.  

Which is not to say you're wrong - my understanding of bomb-sniffing dogs is that they're detecting nitrate-based compounds given off, and the vast majority of both explosives and propellants are nitrate-based.  But you're drastically oversimplifying things.

My neighbor trains dogs for the FBI.  I'll ask him the next time I see him.

21 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Dogs can be trained to smell bullets.

Dogs at doors deter high school punks.

Dogs are a lot cheaper than officers.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

I don't think I am, and I am tired of reading these casualty stories. 

Of course, a high school punk can just shoot the dog.  And dogs are not cheaper than officers - trained dogs are expensive as hell, and dogs work as part of a dog-handler team, and handlers need to be trained and are more expensive than officers alone.  

A bomb-sniffing dog represents at least a two-year investment in training the dog, where at least one of those years is spent training with a dedicated handler.  Not cheap, nor does availability scale with demand.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

While the NHLPA makes sure the players are rightly compensated through the CBA that includes a pension plan.

Most of the top tier pro sports businesses have to deal with player unions. I'm all for it because it creates some balance in an unbalanced relationship. In the big money sports world owners/management and players/workers negotiate to get a reasonably fair deal done for all the parties. The football union is probably the weakest of the sports unions with  basketball being the strongest of the unions. 

7 hours ago, sherpa said:

Dogs trained to sniff out weapons at the door.

Not nearly as expensive as other alternatives, and very effective.

Not that hard to assign a dog or two per school and take care of it.

It wouldn't work. Students coming in large groups and moving quickly in a short period of time would make it impossible for dogs to do their job. The dogs with their handlers usually work one on one with the person who would be examined. And it also must be factored in that those dogs have to constantly be tested in a training setting to make sure that their smell is both reinforced and still working.

In addition, even if the dogs were donated (not always the case), the training with the handler is very long and comprehensive. Not all dogs that go through the training make it. In general, it would be a very expensive proposition for a school system to handle the costs associated with this endeavor. 

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

Dogs can do this.

So these dogs will just show up for work every day? No handlers? Sounds very expensive and I can’t imagine that there are enough dogs/handlers trained to handle the need.  

I am continuously amazed at the lack of effort expended to try to come to grips with these tragedies, and these latest responses are evidence of that.

You don't need "dozens of german shepherds." You need a couple of trained dogs and a method of having students enter one door.

Have any of you ever traveled internationally?

In many customs/immigration halls, at the bottom of an escalator, moving walkway, or other funneling process, trained dogs are positioned. 

Usually they are drug trained, but I've talked to their handlers many times, and there are other possibilities.

It isn't nearly as expensive as other options, but evidently we would prefer put up with these mass shootings rather than come up with a solution.

I proposed a similar thing regarding aircraft bombings. the explosives used in those instances are, largely, odorless.

We add a noxious and easily noticeable smell to natural gas so if a leak exists it is easily detected, yet we don't require explosive manufacturers to add a similar component to explosives. 

I proposed that to my Congressman and both senators, and each staff responded that it seemed like a no-brainer proposal.

I'm told gun ammunition is detectable, but why not make it more easily detectable by adding a similar component to make its smell more noticeable?

What possible objection would the gun lobby have?

Nothing is free, but I doubt there would be any serious  taxpayer objection, and if there was, I'd I'd be the first to donate to a dog training fund to enable our schools to have access to such a deterrent.   

Alternatively, we can do noting, and continue to mourn these events a few times per year, with no sign of letting up, while our extremely expensive "resource officers" who are clearly not a deterrent, do their thing after bullets are fired and lives lost.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ALF said:

Reading the front page of the BN ,  Lockport schools will be installing facial recognition and tracking software.  I don't know how this expensive camera system would detect a problem early. 

But, but, but they're doing something!

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

Nothing is free, but I doubt there would be any serious  taxpayer objection, and if there was, I'd I'd be the first to donate to a dog training fund to enable our schools to have access to such a deterrent.   

Alternatively, we can do noting, and continue to mourn these events a few times per year, with no sign of letting up, while our extremely expensive "resource officers" who are clearly not a deterrent, do their thing after bullets are fired and lives lost.

I think this makes for a great solution. Airports have been doing a great job getting dogs involved to expedite movement of lines to the extent that it even eliminates the whole "remove your shoes and belt" deterrent.

One of the problems, however, is a large number of the people in charge of making rules -- local, state, federal -- are more interested in their own agenda than one that brings common sense safety efforts to the schools. This is a gun issue to them, not a person issue.

Perhaps the way to get these politicians on board is to compromise with something they have no problem with: Members of the Black Panthers holding clubs outside the school and threatening the kids.

3 hours ago, B-Man said:
Texas school shooter killed girl who turned down his advances and embarrassed him in class, her mother says
Los Angeles Times, by MOLLY HENNESSY-FISKE*

Original Article

But, but........................"Iron Cross"?

All Hail the Narrative.

Sounds like catharsis for that kid.

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Sounds like catharsis for that kid.

that wasn't the wisest way to deal with this

not that we could be accused of judging

Just now, row_33 said:

that wasn't the wisest way to deal with this

not that we could be accused of judging

When they article states the kid is yelling "Woo Hoo!" as he guns people down, yeah I think it's safe to say he had some cooped up anger.

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

When they article states the kid is yelling "Woo Hoo!" as he guns people down, yeah I think it's safe to say he had some cooped up anger.

no cold showers in that part of the world?

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

It's texas. Pretty much third world.

:P

and houston is one of the fattest cities in the world, too.  i have to wonder if this kid simply moved to a more tolerant new england state or a more physically fit california town maybe he would not have had to deal with such fascism and hatred.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The problem is GUNS you twats.

Well, he also had bombs/explosive devices and reportedly a knife.  So, I guess the problem is guns, knives, and bombs.  Are there any other problems that may have led to such a tragic event that you can think of???

1 hour ago, phypon said:

Well, he also had bombs/explosive devices and reportedly a knife.  So, I guess the problem is guns, knives, and bombs.  Are there any other problems that may have led to such a tragic event that you can think of???

Clearly if he didn't have access to transportation, he wouldn't have been able to take his guns, knives, bombs to the school. In fact, if there were no public schools, there would have been no students to kill.

I blame public education. BAN EDUCATION!

• Like (+1) 1