Another school shooting - Texas

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

Write to your senators and tell them "this is not good enough". 

Kids getting killed at school. Ugh. I hate this story. 

What do I write them is not good enough?  He was already break the law, several laws...

Look, take a deep breath.  Make a hashtag.   It'll be ok.

13 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

What do I write them is not good enough?  He was already break the law, several laws...

Look, take a deep breath.  Make a hashtag.   It'll be ok.

Here are a few ideas. 

School security & layout, mental health resources, enforcement of existing legislation and access to firearms. 

I am sure that there are opportunities for improvement in each of these areas.

"Take a deep breath, It'll be OK" is a really lazy response. Remember when a bunch of kiddos got mowed down 3 months ago? We need to do something, and there many avenues to do so beyond a !@#$ing hashtag. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Here's a few ideas. 

School security & layout, mental health resources, enforcement of existing legislation and access to firearms. 

I am sure that there are opportunities for improvement in each of these areas.

"Take a deep breath, It'll be OK" is a really lazy response. Remember when a bunch of kiddos got mowed down 3 months ago? We need to do something, and there many avenues to do so beyond a !@#$ing hashtag. 

I am 100% all for that but there is way too much distraction going on for anyone to grow a pair of balls and do anything about what's going on because it's too god damn easy to be a victim and the payoff is too good damn high.

Great post 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I love Anthony Jeselnik's joke about this.  It was basically people going on social media to say "Hey, don't forget about me" during this tragic event.  Thoughts and prayers!

Absolutely right on.

My other favorite take on this subject is “well there’s no easy answer, so let’s do nothing”. 

17 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

please share the bigger news then kids killing kids in this country. 

Without full political injection:

The report being released by the IG.

So many families started off as a perfectly normal day, then they got their worlds rocked forever. As one friend who lost a child said to us, life is forever divided into “before” and “after”. Hug your loved ones!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's why I failed math my freshman year in college because I lived by that philosophy.  I also stopped showing up.

Ha. Same, except it was statistics class. 

Prof day one: “This is not a math class”.

Prof, also day one: “Here’s a bunch of math”.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Without full political injection:

The report being released by the IG.

if you're referring to the recent release on the clinton emails.

politicians/political corruption or anything political is not as big of news to me then reading pretty much on a daily basis of kids killing kids, not even close. something NEEDS to be done and obviously the low life politicians are doing NOTHING!!

now, that may not be what you were referring to but it was just a wild guess.

as far as I'm concerned all politicians, past and present can fall in to a black hole of damnation.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

politicians/political corruption or anything political is not as big of news to me then reading pretty much on a daily basis of kids killing kids, not even close. something NEEDS to be done and obviously the low life politicians are doing NOTHING!!

as far as I'm concerned all politicians, past and present can fall in to a black hole of damnation.

Doing something for the sole purpose of saying you did something is not the answer.

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

If you're relying on politicians to fix anything you're going to be waiting for a long time. It needs to start at home. There needs to be structure and accountability from day one. Kids need to be taught to respect themselves and one another. Look up to good role models not some ****head Kardasian who has 50 million instagram followers for no good reason except for being famous.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Doing something for the sole purpose of saying you did something is not the answer.

who said they did anything. it's pretty !@#$ing obvious nothing is being done. I agree though, my sole voice of reason will not be enough and frankly, it's going to get a hell of a lot worse because like you say, saying something, MEANS NOTHING!!

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

who said they did anything. it's pretty !@#$ing obvious nothing is being done. I agree though, my sole voice of reason will not be enough and frankly, it's going to get a hell of a lot worse because like you say, saying something, MEANS NOTHING!!

Nobody.  

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If you're relying on politicians to fix anything you're going to be waiting for a long time. It needs to start at home. There needs to be structure and accountability from day one. Kids need to be taught to respect themselves and one another. Look up to good role models not some ****head Kardasian who has 50 million instagram followers for no good reason except for being famous.

NO I am not. read clearly what I said about politicians. I agree with you where it starts but you're dealing with a society that doesn't seem to rely on good parenting anymore. just hand them a game pad or a smart phone and send them on their way.

society is rapidly falling in to the black hole of damnation and it doesn't look like it will be stopped.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Nobody.  

exactly.

43 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

It's political corruption that allows a lot of this, but well done you.  Particpation of opinion is always valuable

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have a 3 year old right now and when he becomes a teen, I won't want to think about a situation like this but I'm also not going to be able to block it out completely.

Maybe you and your wife should consider sending him to a private,Catholic school when the time comes.

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Maybe you and your wife should consider sending him to a private,Catholic school when the time comes.

Both my wife and I want him to go public.  I went public, she went private....she wishes she went public but her parents put her in private.

Has a private school has this happen (mass shooting) or is it all public?  

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Both my wife and I want him to go public.  I went public, she went private....she wishes she went public but her parents put her in private.

Has a private school has this happen (mass shooting) or is it all public?  

All public. And private schools don't allow students to wear trench coats . P.S.- I love the uniform/dress code policies that the private institutions enforce. No baggy pants with a upper part of a ass crack and boxers showing,no pajamas either.

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

All public. And private schools don't allow students to wear trench coats . P.S.- I love the uniform/dress code policies that the private institutions enforce. No baggy pants with a upper part of a ass crack and boxers showing,no pajamas either.

The public school I went to had an old school Principal who just passed 2 weeks ago.  Thousands of students went to his funeral an/or viewing.

We weren't allowed to wear shorts because girls were breaking the rules of how short they could be.

We weren't allowed to wear our shirts untucked.  He hated the look of untucked shirt, baggy pants.  

We weren't allowed to wear windbreaker pants because girls started wearing white tight ones where you could basically see everything.

27 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Many public schools are going to strict dress codes, so much so that they can only buy from certain sources.  It's abhorrent, actually.

But public schools are getting uniforms quickly. Indoctrination is so simple when kids are young and it's so easy to have a school system line their pockets with some graft when they get to approve the source and material you're allowed to wear.  School systems are becoming prison systems.

I just was reading an article and something struck me as really disturbing. The article says "The bloodshed 30 miles south of houston is the worst mass shooting in America since February....."

WTF is going on inside of these kids heads?

46 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Literally one day after the Florida shooting, one of my son’s favorite teachers saw a kid on a public Florida middle school campus with his hoodie pulled over his head. This was against school policy and the teacher had the shooting fresh in his mind. He went over to the kid and told him to pull it off his head and identify himself. The kid wouldn’t obey and tried to get away. The teacher grabbed him in a bear hug and pinned him up against a locker. That teacher is on administrative leave and facing assault charges. I wish I was kidding.

I know this guy. He was one of my son’s best teachers and the basketball coach.  He’s a very good man and he was trying to protect the other kids nearby, at his own risk. What happens if this unidentified kid, who is clearly breaking policy and disobeying, pulls out a weapon and starts shooting? I’m furious about this!  

Edited by Augie

Adolescent mental illness will make the opioid epidemic look small and manageable in the coming years.  

It's that strengthening F5 hurricane off shore, aided by the denial or ignorance of parents that refuse to take action despite all the lights blinking on the board.  "It can't be our Timmy" they always say or "it's so exhausting, we just can't deal with it anymore", they say.  

All the school shooters (and even mail bombers) going back to Harris and Klebold were telegraphing significant mental illness and forthcoming violence.  The common denominator is a set of weak parents that did absolutely nothing to prevent it.    

We had a recent case here locally in Bucks County where a kid shot and killed four other kids, burnt and buried them all in one afternoon.  His record of mental illness and run-ins with law enforcement was lengthy yet mom and dad let him have access to firearms and turned a blind eye to his mental health.  

Edited by dpberr

14 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I just was reading an article and something struck me as really disturbing. The article says "The bloodshed 30 miles south of houston is the worst mass shooting in America since February....."

WTF is going on inside of these kids heads?

Nothing is going on.

And the headlines are just cute jibberish to work up the masses in to an epidemic.

America is actually safer than it has been in a very, very long time.

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Adolescent mental illness will make the opioid epidemic look small and manageable in the coming years.  

It's that strengthening F5 hurricane off shore, aided by the denial or ignorance of parents that refuse to take action despite all the lights blinking on the board.  "It can't be our Timmy" they always say or "it's so exhausting, we just can't deal with it anymore", they say.  

All the school shooters (and even mail bombers) going back to Harris and Klebold were telegraphing significant mental illness and forthcoming violence.  The common denominator is a set of weak parents that did absolutely nothing to prevent it.    

We had a recent case here locally in Bucks County where a kid shot and killed four other kids, burnt and buried them all in one afternoon.  His record of mental illness and run-ins with law enforcement was lengthy yet mom and dad let him have access to firearms and turned a blind eye to his mental health.  

Come on... Kids just need a release.  A hobby.  Idle hands is the Devil's work.

Maybe Ted Nugent will take them out hunting or the gun range.  Great way to keep busy.  What can possibly go wrong.

Just now, Boyst62 said:

Nothing is going on.

And the headlines are just cute jibberish to work up the masses in to an epidemic.

America is actually safer than it has been in a very, very long time.

Exactly.  Nothing to see here.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Literally one day after the Florida shooting, one of my son’s favorite teachers saw a kid on a public Florida middle school campus with his hoodie pulled over his head. This was against school policy and the teacher had the shooting fresh in his mind. He went over to the kid and told him to pull it off his head and identify himself. The kid wouldn’t obey and tried to get away. The teacher grabbed him in a bear hug and pinned him up against a locker. That teacher is on administrative leave and facing assault charges. I wish I was kidding.

I know this guy. He was one of my son’s best teachers and the basketball coach.  He’s a very good man and he was trying to protect the other kids nearby, at his own risk. What happens if this unidentified kid, who is clearly breaking policy and disobeying, pulls out a weapon and starts shooting? I’m furious about this!  

This is part of the problem. when the kids were required to wear clear backpacks at Parkland after the shooting they were all up in arms about how their privacy is being violated but you simply can't have it both ways

29 minutes ago, dpberr said:

My wife saw her “genetic nutritionist” (whatever that is, but she’s helped my wife immensely!) last night and came home with some interesting thoughts. It started with the question of why autism rates are climbing so rapidly. The nutritionalist feels all the processed food, sodas, diet soda, fast food and all they other crap we eat, going back to the child’s time in the womb, plays a significant role. (I know, what do you expect a nutritionist to say?) Autism, ADHD and other  mental health issues just seem to get worse before our eyes. I don’t know the answer, but it’s something we really need to be putting more emphasis on. 

As for parents, I’ll agree that there are some terrible parents out there. I also know that when your child has mental health issues, even if you get the best of care, there is often little that can be done that is very effective. It’s not turning a blind eye, it’s ripping your hair out! It’s incredibly frustrating! I know this first hand and from watching friends and family around us. NOW, if you let them near guns, you are just an idiot! 

Edited by Augie

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Come on... Kids just need a release.  A hobby.  Idle hands is the Devil's work.

Maybe Ted Nugent will take them out hunting or the gun range.  Great way to keep busy.  What can possibly go wrong.

Exactly.  Nothing to see here.

Exactly. Nothing to see here.  We are living in a safe world, safer than ever.  **** happens, it sucks, get over it.

• Like (+1) 1