Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

46 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Haley in the 1st half of the episode had me thinking "Man, he's a no nonsense guy."  By the end though, including that segment about the name Carl (What, is he 12?), I decided he's just an a$$&@!

During the whole CARL rant I kept waiting for someone to jump in "TODD?  TODD? Who names a kid TODD?!?!?"  

How is Todd any better than Carl?

53 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont have HBO so I had to rely on the very brief you tube they did of the Corey Colemen trade

Are coaches really screaming at him as to why he isnt catching a ball when a defender had ahold of his jersey the WHOLE fricken play?   Did that really happen?  How about screaming at your db that he is gonna get a flag on that play.

And no....those passes were NOT hitting him in the chest.

I have no idea how Colemen is gonna work out....but these cleveland coaches look like absolute idiots.   Colemen isnt some 6' plus 200 pound plus wideout that is gonna out muscule defensive backs that are riding his jersey through the whole route.....he is a burner who gets behind a defense and either catches the ball (or doesnt) or draws a PI call from crap like that.

It almost seemed like it was edited to where the pass the showed before Haley’s rant didn’t hit him in the chest (wasn’t close) but then his rant must have been from another pass and they spliced it in? Otherwise it made no sense. 

16 minutes ago, stevewin said:

During the whole CARL rant I kept waiting for someone to jump in "TODD?  TODD? Who names a kid TODD?!?!?"  

How is Todd any better than Carl?

giphy.gif

Hues literally taking crucial , basic coaching strategy from Tyrod Taylor..  

Not that Tyrods opinion doesn't hold weight, it does , but the strategy in question was simply showing film of what he's trying to verbally communicate! 

That sounds like a wise , yet very obvious teaching method , Hue doesn't have a Clue. Lame Duck Coach.

Why he's there now though ?

Because he'll be the sacrificial lamb of a 4-6 win season. Leaving a young  team to Haley/Williams who both are sharks and smelled Hues blood in the water .. And if they have a CPL good drafts, will be a contender.

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Is there a seat hotter than Hue Jackson’s? Seems pretty inevitable that he’s getting fired after this season so Dorsey can get his own guy.

Absolutely .

Dorsey is in cahoots with one or both of Haley/Williams. 

Hues the fall guy

39 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Is there a seat hotter than Hue Jackson’s? Seems pretty inevitable that he’s getting fired after this season so Dorsey can get his own guy.

My top contender for 1st firing is Dirk Koetter in Tampa, especially with the Winston suspension.  I don't think Jackson will be fired until after the season because hiring either of his 2 coordinators as interim HC would cause a full scale locker room revolt & Gregg would need a bodyguard if he was chosen .  

My top candiates after Koetter & Jackson, who is being exposed on Hard Knocks as proving the Raiders smart for dumping him when at the time it appeared too soon, are:

Adam Gase-he needs a winning season to make it to 2019

Todd Bowles-too many gameday mistakes will not be forgiven.  I think the Jets will be looking for a QB whisperer to develop Darnold long term.

Jay Gruden-how many mediocre seasons can this guy survive?  

My final hot seat guy is someone nobody has on their list yet-Matt Patricia.  The reason I included him is that after he was hired, it was revealed that he was accused of a sexual assault years ago.  Now he was never charged & has claimed innocence, but if Detroit fails to make the playoffs again they may use it as an excuse to make him a one & done HC.  

16 hours ago, sodbuster said:

Yeah, I'd want to get away from Todd Haley, too. Everything I've seen about that guy makes me cringe. 

He's the offensive equivalent of Gregg-o.   

How in the hell did one NFL franchse get two asshats like that coordinating both sides of the ball?....

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont have HBO so I had to rely on the very brief you tube they did of the Corey Colemen trade

Are coaches really screaming at him as to why he isnt catching a ball when a defender had ahold of his jersey the WHOLE fricken play?   Did that really happen?  How about screaming at your db that he is gonna get a flag on that play.

And no....those passes were NOT hitting him in the chest.

I have no idea how Colemen is gonna work out....but these cleveland coaches look like absolute idiots.   Colemen isnt some 6' plus 200 pound plus wideout that is gonna out muscule defensive backs that are riding his jersey through the whole route.....he is a burner who gets behind a defense and either catches the ball (or doesnt) or draws a PI call from crap like that.

Yeah, that happened and I said the same thing myself. It was like they were yelling at him just to yell. Especially when shortly after that they show David Njoku dropping even more passes than Coleman and he never once got chewed out nearly as bad. Half the time the coaches didn’t even say anything to him. But Hue did make him do “30 catches from the jugs machine” after practice... poor guy. lol 

And not even tough catches. They stood him like 10ft in front of the machine, facing it head on. Didn’t even have him practice catches form different angles or distances. Just the most generic 30 easy catches possible, while the coaches just sat and watched. No coaching. Just watched. lol 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It almost seemed like it was edited to where the pass the showed before Haley’s rant didn’t hit him in the chest (wasn’t close) but then his rant must have been from another pass and they spliced it in? Otherwise it made no sense. 

I am pretty sure they were yelling at him about that specific pass because Coleman even made a comment to Haley afterwards that “no it didn’t (hit him in the chest)” and Haley said something along the lines of how he’s not going to give Coleman the benifit of the doubt. 

I kind of got the impression that the coaches had their mind made up on Coleman already and there wasn’t much he could do to change it. We only got to see such a small portion of what happened though, so maybe I’m off base. 

Finally just saw episode 2.

Cleveland's problems start with ownership.  The entire top of that organization are bad hires, and that's on ownership.

Aging Jim Brown looks like a bald Frederick Douglass.

Antonio Callaway is one of these NFL players who is just dumber than dirt.  He probably hasn't screwed up for the last time, and you can't blame Jackson for that.  Dude's a brainless drone incapable of learning.

If John Dorsey is awake, he's chewing gum.

Tyrod's professionalism, intelligence, and work ethic all stand out like a shining light in a dark sky on that team!  

It's a mess and will remain that way until this entire regime is gone.

It reminds me of much of what we have seen at OBD over the years.  Thankfully, not so much now though.

• Like (+1) 1

After episode two, my takeaways:

-- Greggo is still a douchenozzle.  "If it's free, it's me."

-- Callaway is dumber than a box of rocks.

-- Dorsey's NFL player personnel man is either completely incompetent or remarkably camera shy.

-- Dorsey is unimpressive.

-- I like Mayfield; he may succeed despite that organization.

-- I hope Cajuste makes the team; good dude and story.

-- Todd Haley is just biding time until he gets a shot at a bigger job.

-- Hue already looks like a dead man walking.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Hues literally taking crucial , basic coaching strategy from Tyrod Taylor..  

Not that Tyrods opinion doesn't hold weight, it does , but the strategy in question was simply showing film of what he's trying to verbally communicate! 

That sounds like a wise , yet very obvious teaching method , Hue doesn't have a Clue. Lame Duck Coach.

Why he's there now though ?

Because he'll be the sacrificial lamb of a 4-6 win season. Leaving a young  team to Haley/Williams who both are sharks and smelled Hues blood in the water .. And if they have a CPL good drafts, will be a contender.

If Haley or Williams think they are going to slide into the Head Coaching position after another failed Hue Jackson season, they're as dumb as dirt. Teams that are trying to move on from a losing culture don't generally give promotions to key members of that culture.

Edited by Rocky Landing

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

If Haley or Williams think they are going to slide into the Head Coaching position after another failed Hue Jackson season, they're as dumb as dirt. Teams that are trying to move on from a losing culture don't generally give promotions to key members of that culture.

Thats not really accurate though...if its an in season firing, its always within the organization and if they show well they can have the interim tag removed and be named HC moving forward the next season.  Its happened several times before.  Plus, if say the Browns offense is going well but they are losing because of the D, that certainly bodes well for Haley doing his job well and certainly would be a candidate to replace Hue.  

Ultimately, I think all 3 are bad HC's anyway, but I can see why Haley and Gregg might be licking their chops there.  

Going back to Hue, man I really feel for this guy having to lose his brother and mom recently and he seems to genuinely care deeply about players and just be a great guy overall.  But, that being said, I am grossly underwhelmed with him as a HC between his record and also seeing behind the scenes.  We only see what the editors put out, but I think its a NIGHT and DAY difference than what we saw with say McD who just continues to impress.  

And its a NIGHT and DAY difference than some other good HC's I have seen on previous seasons of both Hard Knocks and All or Nothing.  Sadly the only one it closely reminds me of is Rex when he was on there or Joe Philbin...and I dont mean that in a good way.  

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats not really accurate though...if its an in season firing, its always within the organization and if they show well they can have the interim tag removed and be named HC moving forward the next season.  Its happened several times before.  Plus, if say the Browns offense is going well but they are losing because of the D, that certainly bodes well for Haley doing his job well and certainly would be a candidate to replace Hue.  

Ultimately, I think all 3 are bad HC's anyway, but I can see why Haley and Gregg might be licking their chops there.  

Going back to Hue, man I really feel for this guy having to lose his brother and mom recently and he seems to genuinely care deeply about players and just be a great guy overall.  But, that being said, I am grossly underwhelmed with him as a HC between his record and also seeing behind the scenes.  We only see what the editors put out, but I think its a NIGHT and DAY difference than what we saw with say McD who just continues to impress.  

And its a NIGHT and DAY difference than some other good HC's I have seen on previous seasons of both Hard Knocks and All or Nothing.  Sadly the only one it closely reminds me of is Rex when he was on there or Joe Philbin...and I dont mean that in a good way.  

I concur on Jackson. From this documentary he looks exactly as you describe: a decent guy who very much lacks the temperament to be an effective leader of men. 

Being NFL sanctioned I doubt they'd do an outright hit job on a HC so I have to guess they're being pretty fair to the subjects...very unflattering for Hue at present.