AJ McCarron's Arm Strength

1 hour ago, Luxy312 said:

While it's not a cannon, it's certainly not inadequate.  Still crazy though that Allen's was 62 and set the all time record since the metric started being measured.

Its barely adequate and certainly compares poorly with guys like Goff (58), Wentz (57), Cousins (59) and Foles (57). I'm not sure velocity means much other than the ability to make some very difficult throws. I know I would prefer "strong" over "adequate" any day. On the other hand, I am sure that McCarron's game isn't built on shooting lasers through the eye of a needle 40 yards downfield and hopefully, his many other talents will more than make up for arm strength that is a bit on the average side.

I can't wait for the "I don't get all the hype on Allen- they said the same things about EJ Manuel" crowd to realize how utterly absurd they sound once people see him throw footballs up close in training camp.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Its barely adequate and certainly compares poorly with guys like Goff (58), Wentz (57), Cousins (59) and Foles (57). I'm not sure velocity means much other than the ability to make some very difficult throws. I know I would prefer "strong" over "adequate" any day. On the other hand, I am sure that McCarron's game isn't built on shooting lasers through the eye of a needle 40 yards downfield and hopefully, his many other talents will more than make up for arm strength that is a bit on the average side.

Why don't you just go ahead and list some of the other starters in the NFL while you're at it?  Trubisky (51), Watson (45), Prescott (54).  It's a nice cherry pick, but I would bet you that there isn't a single Bills fan that wouldn't take the latter of those two.  Trubisky is a TBD.

53 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen is off the charts. I never heard anyone question EJ’s atm strength, so it’s odd that it has come up with McCarron.

If can get some protection, I think he will be fine until Allen is ready to play.

EJ's atm strength is among the best in history. 8 different bankcards used simultaneously to withdraw the maximum daily limit is off the charts atm strength. 

• Haha (+1) 1

You guys are crazy. I saw Allen at an amusement park at one of those speed throwing games. He needed to throw at least 45 to win a big prize, but he couldn't get the ball over 40. Strange thing cause, he threw the last of 3 backwards over his shoulder off 1 knee and still hit 40. :lol:

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen is off the charts. I never heard anyone question EJ’s atm strength, so it’s odd that it has come up with McCarron.

If can get some protection, I think he will be fine until Allen is ready to play.

I recall fans questioning EJ's arm strength after watching him play for the Bills -- as in, "I thought this guy was supposed to have a strong arm?"

Looking at college tape, AJ is a very steady and calm QB who has enough arm strength in the NFL to be a good starting game manager. Surround him with a good team and he can take you to the playoffs. Makes great intermediate throws in tight spots, can move around the pocket, and is pretty decisive. His ceiling is higher than Andy Dalton in my opinion. Does not use his feet as much though.

Peterman is undersized and jittery. Does not have good arm strength but his release is very fast and he has great zip and accuracy on his balls. I see what McDermott sees in him, but I don't believe he can be a good starter in this league. I think his ceiling is smart and surprisingly good backup QB. He will be a backup on this team as long as McDermott is here. Can surprise you with some 300 yard games. 

AJ is going to win the job this offseason. Would be very surprised if he doesn't. Should get us anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 depending on how everyone else plays. Next year we can start talking about AJ vs. Allen. Allen's ceiling is top 3-5 superstar QB, in case anybody was wondering. Allen can probably start this year, but AJ is too steady a QB in general to take that risk. No need to rush things. 

Edited by musichunch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, musichunch said:

Looking at college tape, AJ is a very steady and calm QB who has enough arm strength in the NFL to be a good starting game manager. Surround him with a good team and he can take you to the playoffs. Makes great intermediate throws in tight spots, can move around the pocket, and is pretty decisive. His ceiling is higher than Andy Dalton in my opinion. Does not use his feet as much though.

Peterman is undersized and jittery. Does not have good arm strength but his release is very fast and he has great zip and accuracy on his balls. I see what McDermott sees in him, but I don't believe he can be a good starter in this league. I think his ceiling is smart and surprisingly good backup QB. He will be a backup on this team as long as McDermott is here. Can surprise you with some 300 yard games. 

AJ is going to win the job this offseason. Would be very surprised if he doesn't. Should get us anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 depending on how everyone else plays. Next year we can start talking about AJ vs. Allen. Allen's ceiling is top 3-5 superstar QB, in case anybody was wondering. Allen can probably start this year, but AJ is too steady a QB in general to take that risk. No need to rush things. 

Excellent analysis.

50 minutes ago, eball said:

I recall fans questioning EJ's arm strength after watching him play for the Bills -- as in, "I thought this guy was supposed to have a strong arm?"

I don't even remember anyone saying he had a great arm. I just remember the hands. Hands. Hands. EJ had huge hands.

Sport Science did a piece on EJ, and it was about floating the ball. They never even brought up arm strength.

49 minutes ago, musichunch said:

If your analysis is true and accurate I think everybody on this board would be stoked

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I always believed that arm strength and velocity are a bit different... 

EJ has good arm strength but as others have said his velocity in game always looked a little down because he threw with trajectory 

McCarron was zipping balls at the combine so his velocity #s are good but his pure arm strength isn’t at EJs level... same with Peterman, decent velocity #s but his arm strength leaves some to be desired 

1 hour ago, Wily Dog said:

Peterman worked in the offseason to strengthen his arm and so the velocity of his throws has increased.

I wonder how much you can improve "arm strength."   

What we call "arm strength" in a QB has to do with the distance he can throw the ball and how much velocity he can put on it.  Mechanics factor into this.  So does fast twitch muscles and explosiveness.  

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Ì don't know much about dancin', that's why I got this song
One of my legs is shorter than the other and both my feet's too long
'Course now right along with 'em, I got no natural rhythm
But I go dancin' every night, hopin' one day I might get it right

You are either referring to a "Dancin' Fool" or somebody is Moving to Montana?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BBills88 said:

He measured better than Tyrod Taylor & DeShaun Watson:o

Weird because Tyrod never had any issue firing the ball long. Can not remember one throw that was short.

Just using the eye test I would say Tyrod had/has one of the strongest arms in NFL. 

Edited by cba fan

24 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

You are either referring to a "Dancin' Fool" or somebody is Moving to Montana?

Well We ain't no dental floss tycoon