AJ McCarron's Arm Strength

My mental image of McCarron is one of a well-coached, dedicated all around athlete who achieves very well if he's in the right college environment.   The right environment is where there's good talent on the team and good coaching, where the QB is expected to execute the plays but not be a playmaker.  Frankly, that's what I think Dalton looks like.   

In that sense, he's good for McDermott, for whom ideal player is one who does his job as well as he can every play.  I think Dalton will be solid starter for the Bills, until Allen takes over.   When will Allen take over?   When he can execute the offense nearly as well as McCarron can.   Why will he take over?   Because the quality of his arm and his physical talents generally will allow Allen to be a playmaker as well as a field general.    So when Allen's field generalship approaches McCarron's, in 2018 or 2019, Allen's athletic superiority will be enough to get him on the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Okay... it's still not a 62

Allen is off the charts. I never heard anyone question EJ’s atm strength, so it’s odd that it has come up with McCarron.

If can get some protection, I think he will be fine until Allen is ready to play.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Here are QB ball velocity numbers from 2008 - 2017.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2017/03/16/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

EJ Manual, who was generally recognized as having a big arm, threw 54 mph at the combine. AJ McCarron threw 53 mph.

Arm strength is not as issue for AJ.

AJ is below the mythical 55 threshold.  But I get what you're saying.  He's not noodle armed.  

Considering where we've been, I'm generally happy with the Bills QB situation.  

We've got AJ who by all accounts is hard worker, fierce competitor and good leader.  While he might not have the best arm out there, he can be a good caretaker and mentor to Allen.

Allen is a guy with some good character traits and tremendous upside.  

Who knows how it will all work out but Beane's done good work in his first year to put us in a situation that provides some hope and a reasonable chance of success.   

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen is off the charts. I never heard anyone question EJ’s atm strength, so it’s odd that it has come up with McCarron.

If can get some protection, I think he will be fine until Allen is ready to play.

And Peterman threw 53.

Are we questioning his arm strength?

I see a tight race between AJ and Nate, honestly.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

And Peterman threw 53.

According to the link that the O.P. posted, Peterman threw 49.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

And Peterman threw 53.

1 minute ago, Luxy312 said:

According to the link that the O.P. posted, Peterman threw 49.

Regardless of the actual number rewatch the pick at the end of the Jacksonville playoff game and ask yourself if you don’t have concerns about his arm strength. 

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

My mental image of McCarron is one of a well-coached, dedicated all around athlete who achieves very well if he's in the right college environment.   The right environment is where there's good talent on the team and good coaching, where the QB is expected to execute the plays but not be a playmaker.  Frankly, that's what I think Dalton looks like.   

In that sense, he's good for McDermott, for whom ideal player is one who does his job as well as he can every play.  I think Dalton will be solid starter for the Bills, until Allen takes over.   When will Allen take over?   When he can execute the offense nearly as well as McCarron can.   Why will he take over?   Because the quality of his arm and his physical talents generally will allow Allen to be a playmaker as well as a field general.    So when Allen's field generalship approaches McCarron's, in 2018 or 2019, Allen's athletic superiority will be enough to get him on the field.  

When did we make that trade?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, transient said:

Regardless of the actual number rewatch the pick at the end of the Jacksonville playoff game and ask yourself if you don’t have concerns about his arm strength. 

I'm not saying I don't have concerns about Peterman at all.  I had concerns about Peterman's arm strength when they drafted him.  One of the single biggest knocks on him in scouting reports was his ability to really throw the football when he needed to.  From their respective college game tape, I would still take McCarron over Peterman.  He just looks better.

6 minutes ago, transient said:

Yeah. We should definitely question it. Just like we should question AJ's. Neither are very good.

Well I've heard around that we got AJ for peanuts. So if he's not a fit it wasn't a costly experiment. I'm a little skeptical about how it will turn out although I do believe he earns the starting job. I'm in wait and see mode but kinda expecting the horse will trip out of the starting gate. 

23 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

His hands are to small and his feet to big

Ì don't know much about dancin', that's why I got this song
One of my legs is shorter than the other and both my feet's too long
'Course now right along with 'em, I got no natural rhythm
But I go dancin' every night, hopin' one day I might get it right

• Like (+1) 1