Beane & McDermott #1?

14 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  (...)

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

They have done some good things, and some head scratching things.  They overachieved with last year's roster, but they also created last year's roster: they deliberately depleted it of talent in some ways in favor of draft picks and cap space in 2019 and forward.

It remains to be seen whether the players they acquired with those draft picks will prove out, and how they will utilize the cap space they cleared.

I want to see that, and how the Bills perform this year, before I rank them as "good" let alone "awesome".

There have been GM/coach pairs who turned a team around faster.  They may have had more talent to work with, so I don't count that against McD and Beane.

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

We have plenty to be encouraged about. I think they are copying Carolina, which is not a bad thing.

This will be Dan Morgans first job in this capacity, so it's impossible to say right now if he helps or not, but I trust Beane to hire quality people. I'm expecting a lot from this staff, I think they are on the right track, but plenty of work ahead. It should be a fun season.

Amen. The beginning has been mostly positive, but, much to be done/proven.

12 hours ago, White Linen said:

They've built a decent team while simultaneously getting rid of non hard working players and giving the future an opportunity.   They secured next years draft picks and the most underrated part is they've done all of this while creating a massive amount of money to spend next year.   We're not a complete team but they've put themselves in a position in every aspect of FO management to do so.  

So refreshing after Whaley disaster years.

• Like (+1) 2

My biggest concern about McDermott is whether or not he will be able to surround Allen with the pieces, coaching specifically, to succeed. Cam Newton was able to grow and succeed under a defensive minded coaching staff. Hopefully McDermott will be able to do the same for Allen.  But if I had my choice i would prefer to go the Pederson, McVay, Reid route with head coach and young QB.

As for next seasons success, I think we all need to be prepared for growing pains as a strong possibility. For that reason I am very glad Beane held steadfast not giving up the 2019 1st rounder. Come next draft if we are picking in the top 10 we will remember that decision as a wise one.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Dirtbag said:

no disrespect, but it sounds like you've been waterboarding the kool-aid.

Compared to the negative posts that appear on this board, why is it "waterboarding the kool - aid? I guess we don't want optimism either?

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

If they go 3-13 would they still be the best. Afterall they have a plan finally and it takes time to rebuild.   Man what a devoted fanbase 

I can live with it; why is it so hard to understand that the Buffalo Bills were an organizational failure that need to be completely rebuilt?

17 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did we win the offseason again?

Any year I survive the predraft rumor and hype talk, I consider it an offseason win for me personally. So, in a way.

20 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

It is a little early in their tenure to anoint them among the best, but it is very exciting to see a Bills HC/GM combo designed and built to work in harmony.

How could you do business any other way? Well... the Bills have tried it the other way for the previous 20 years or so.

I love McDermott and Beane as the guys running the Bills. God bless them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, vorpma said:

Compared to the negative posts that appear on this board, why is it "waterboarding the kool - aid? I guess we don't want optimism either?

I can live with it; why is it so hard to understand that the Buffalo Bills were an organizational failure that need to be completely rebuilt?

Rebuilding is loser talk.  Losing teams keep rebuilding. Winning teams keep winning. We were a playoff team last year no matter how you twist it.  So rebuild is just a weird term to use.  Be smart as a GM and you never have to rebuild. Rosters turn around for every team. No more excuses.  

4 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Crazy as it is last years Bills team was one of the worst Bills teams over the drought. 

Not at all. We had a weak offense statistically. Otherwise we were an average team. Was the secondary horrible?  Shady is a great back. Solid oline.  WR was weak.  What past years were better?  I keep reading how watkins was the best decoy ever. 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Rebuilding is loser talk.  Losing teams keep rebuilding. Winning teams keep winning. We were a playoff team last year no matter how you twist it.  So rebuild is just a weird term to use.  Be smart as a GM and you never have to rebuild. Rosters turn around for every team. No more excuses.  

Not at all. We had a weak offense statistically. Otherwise we were an average team. Was the secondary horrible?  Shady is a great back. Solid oline.  WR was weak.  What past years were better?  I keep reading how watkins was the best decoy ever. 

Not arguing anything; but rebuilding has to happen and the Bills were losers from 2001 until 2017!

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

From an analytical standpoint it's one of the worst Bills teams during the last 20 years. I guess I can't say drought anymore. 

It's funny how that works. We've had better teams many times but missed the playoffs. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  Our guys are.  And I don't think they are just copying Carolina - they were buddies there, but not in charge.  I think they look at Carolina and say "here are all the things Carolina did well, how can we do it better."

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

Right on brother !!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, vorpma said:

Right on my man!  BBFS makes people say "wait and see" - but it is clear they know what they are doing.  Yes, it is clear even if they go 3-13.  Stuff happens.    But it probably won't.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

My biggest concern about McDermott is whether or not he will be able to surround Allen with the pieces, coaching specifically, to succeed. Cam Newton was able to grow and succeed under a defensive minded coaching staff. Hopefully McDermott will be able to do the same for Allen.  But if I had my choice i would prefer to go the Pederson, McVay, Reid route with head coach and young QB.

As for next seasons success, I think we all need to be prepared for growing pains as a strong possibility. For that reason I am very glad Beane held steadfast not giving up the 2019 1st rounder. Come next draft if we are picking in the top 10 we will remember that decision as a wise one.

how can we not be better on offense and how can we not be better on defense? we are gonna have a lot of exciting sundays and a huge home game edge for the 2nd half of the season. playoffs are without a doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/6/2018 at 8:06 AM, VADC Bills said:

Great to see the drought end. I give McDermott much credit but I am still reluctant to give Beane any credit on this one. I think if McDermott was our coach during the Rex years the drought would have ended earlier. If Rex was coaching last years team the drought would still be on. Now we will see what Beane brings to the table. A mixed review so far in my book. The Dareus deal was bad. He foolishly give away picks in this years draft. With that being said Allen, Edmunds and Phillips are reasons to be excited and there is always a surprise that surfaces late in the draft or as a UFA. McCarron taking 1st string reps maybe a surprise as well. I'm optimistic but the jury is still on Beane in my book. 

Fair enough to not yet judge Beane but on the performance of his first draft...even though you have aleady come to a judgement that he did "foolish" things...which we will have to wait and see.  Sean has enough confidence in Beane's abilities; so he will get a pass for now until the results show up and that is tied with how McDermott plans to bring Allen along.

8 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

how can we not be better on offense and how can we not be better on defense? we are gonna have a lot of exciting sundays and a huge home game edge for the 2nd half of the season. playoffs are without a doubt.

Being  "good on offense" is  to be compared with the  teams that are super on offense like a Green Bay,  New Orleans, Atlanta, New England and Pittsburgh.  WE definitely are not anywhere close to that level on offense, especially over the last 17 years.  

We have been good on defense, especially recently in the Schwartz years..but we did not have the continuity and we have fallen apart due to drafting for the scheme rather than finding the best players...and we are undoing that again and again in a cycle...Hopefully this is the final cycle before we can confidently says that we will be a 4-3 hybrid team for the next 10 years!!!!

13 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Even if we improve our statistical ranking there is a good chance we don't match our 9-7 record and wild card birth. Improving our offensive ranking from terrible to bad and our defensive ranking from bad to average is not typically the recipe for a winning season. It could happen but we would need to find the lucky horseshoe again that we had last season.