Beane & McDermott #1?

Take a look at our D - people are rightfully excited.  Potentially top 10.  Look at the way it was put together last year and before free agency this year (Vontae was pre-free agency cut from Colts).

Tre White, Milano, Poyer, Hyde, Vontae Davis.  That is well over 40% of our defense and it cost us almost nothing.  What did it cost?  A trade-down first, a compensatory fifth (from not signing Gillislee) and three modest free agent salaries.  For 5/11ths of a D that has us jacked.  That is amazing work in my view.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MarlinTheMagician said:

Take a look at our D - people are rightfully excited.  Potentially top 10.  Look at the way it was put together last year and before free agency this year (Vontae was pre-free agency cut from Colts).

Tre White, Milano, Poyer, Hyde, Vontae Davis.  That is well over 40% of our defense and it cost us almost nothing.  What did it cost?  A trade-down first, a compensatory fifth (from not signing Gillislee) and three modest free agent salaries.  For 5/11ths of a D that has us jacked.  That is amazing work in my view.  

No sense in getting giddy for what they have put togther on paper.  Let the on field results dictate how well they have done. 

37 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

no disrespect, but it sounds like you've been waterboarding the kool-aid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No sense in getting giddy for what they have put togther on paper.  Let the on field results dictate how well they have done. 

Not giddy at all.  The only one of that list that has not played for us is Vontae.  The results on the field are in for last year's performances by Milano, Tre White, Poyer and Hyde, and they were damn good.

Just now, Dirtbag said:

no disrespect, but it sounds like you've been waterboarding the kool-aid.

I am - what did Rex say?  Fully pregnant. :rolleyes:

I think Sean McDermott is an excellent football coach. Thought it when he was DC in Carolina and thought it when we hired him, he was "my guy" last hiring season and I was delighted he got the job. 

I am still to be convinced on Brandon Beane. That isn't a criticism. He has just completed his first draft as a GM and none of the players he selected have take to the field yet so I think it is impossible to be convinced until those players have the chance to show up on Sundays. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Sean McDermott is an excellent football coach. Thought it when he was DC in Carolina and thought it when we hired him, he was "my guy" last hiring season and I was delighted he got the job. 

I am still to be convinced on Brandon Beane. That isn't a criticism. He has just completed his first draft as a GM and none of the players he selected have take to the field yet so I think it is impossible to be convinced until those players have the chance to show up on Sundays. 

Very fair.  Jury is really out on both a bit, but the early returns are excellent.  McDermott is the key I think - give me an intense, hard-working and principled coach all day long.  I think Bean will support his vision and help its expression.  And that is why I think they may be a top duo in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

yes it's early but we have plenty of cause for rational optimism. Rex Ryan was right. We really were playoff bound. Just not with him. 

Breaking the drought and getting a franchise QB are no small matters.

I really believe McDermott has instilled a winning culture. It really feels different this time. I no longer harbour superstitious fears of losing in the waning moments of a game just because we are the Bills. This team has learned how to win psychologically.

What's more is that it feels like we are following a master plan and that our ownership, management and coaches are working in unified purpose. In my 14 years as a season ticket holder I've never felt as good about the team as I do now. I think the combination of Beane and McDermott could make this a golden era in Bills football.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

yes it's early but we have plenty of cause for rational optimism. Rex Ryan was right. We really were playoff bound. Just not with him. 

Breaking the drought and getting a franchise QB are no small matters.

I really believe McDermott has instilled a winning culture. It really feels different this time. I no longer harbour superstitious fears of losing in the waning moments of a game just because we are the Bills. This team has learned how to win psychologically.

What's more is that it feels like we are following a master plan and that our ownership, management and coaches are working in unified purpose. In my 14 years as a season ticket holder I've never felt as good about the team as I do now. I think the combination of Beane and McDermott could make this a golden era in Bills football.

I think this is very well said, and exactly how I feel.

11 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Not giddy at all.  The only one of that list that has not played for us is Vontae.  The results on the field are in for last year's performances by Milano, Tre White, Poyer and Hyde, and they were damn good.

I am - what did Rex say?  Fully pregnant. :rolleyes:

They were good on the back end, but this is a brand new year. The front seven left a lot to be desired.  They look a lot better on paper as I said earlier, but we'll see. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They were good on the back end, but this is a brand new year. The front seven left a lot to be desired.  They look a lot better on paper as I said earlier, but we'll see. 

a perspective not lost on most of Us.
 But i don't mind a half shot of koolaid this time of year. Post Draft should leave a good feeling. it does for me this year

• Like (+1) 3

I think that they’ve done a nice job (specifically McDermott). His team played above their talent and won enough games to get to the playoffs despite a fairly significant point differential. That tells me that they capitalized on opportunities to win games. It was the “anti-Rex.” 

I like the job that Beane has done this offseason. He had 2 goals, to reset the cap and find a franchise QB. He got the cap done and took a talented passer. Beane’s career depends on Allen.

Lastly, we still should be cautious on Beane. Everyone loves the GM doing the teardown. People liked Tim Murray at the time!! The easiest job in sports is starting over. You have a clean slate. Sam Hinkie reshaped the 76ers while Tim Murray butchered the Sabres. Time will tell if it works or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

a perspective not lost on most of Us.
 But i don't mind a half shot of koolaid this time of year. Post Draft should leave a good feeling. it does for me this year

I'm looking forward to seeing how good the D can be.  The offense is a huge question mark at QB, WR, and OL. 

16 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

There will come a day when fans will want them fired. If that happens again, I am done

The franchise hasn't a clue

Some of the idiots here already want that.  They still miss the glory years of Tyrod, Sammy and Dareus.

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he understands the Xs and Os of defensive football well.

He made too many in-game tactical mistakes last year to be considered an excellent overall football coach, however.

He needs to improve his game management a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Of course it is a new year and things can always go wrong.  Last year, could only do so much when we had so many salary problems.  So they fixed the back end last year, addressed the front 7 this year (while continuing to take care of the back-end by signing Davis rather than overpaying for EJ Fragile Gaines.  I probably would have signed Gaines and it would have been a mistake.  That's another reason why Beane and McDermott are so great.  didn't get over-excited about last year's back-end and throw unwarranted money at Gaines.   Vontae   Davis a much better value.)  

The point is - there appears to be a plan that could work.  Don't sleep on Hughes this year.  With Murphy on the other side I think he could really have a fine year.  He was all we had for pass rush.  

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Of course it is a new year and things can always go wrong.  Last year, could only do so much when we had so many salary problems.  So they fixed the back end last year, addressed the front 7 this year (while continuing to take care of the back-end by signing Davis rather than overpaying for EJ Fragile Gaines.  I probably would have signed Gaines and it would have been a mistake.  That's another reason why Beane and McDermott are so great.  didn't get over-excited about last year's back-end and throw unwarranted money at Gaines.   Vontae   Davis a much better value.)  

The point is - there appears to be a plan that could work.  Don't sleep on Hughes this year.  With Murphy on the other side I think he could really have a fine year.  He was all we had for pass rush.  

They should be much better at stopping the run on early downs and hopefully they can apply pressure to make the secondary even better. 

• Like (+1) 1