Beane & McDermott #1?

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  Our guys are.  And I don't think they are just copying Carolina - they were buddies there, but not in charge.  I think they look at Carolina and say "here are all the things Carolina did well, how can we do it better."

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  Our guys are.  And I don't think they are just copying Carolina - they were buddies there, but not in charge.  I think they look at Carolina and say "here are all the things Carolina did well, how can we do it better."

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

(yeah, I am trolling a little here)  ....the set up for the 2017 Draft meant that the coach and GM weren't working together.  Plenty of speculation about it all...maybe so, and maybe not...but it might have prevented the Bills from taking Watson or Mahomes....wich led of course to Allen this year.  ....and we simply can not say yet if this was a disaster or not...but we can certainly point to this as a point in time when the coach and outgoing GM were not likely on the same page.

5 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Let’s let them win something first before anointing them kings

The thing is, they did.  They won a wild-card spot in year 1.  When they had absolutely nothing.  Almost an unbelievable achievement in my view.  The cynics on this board thought it was a tank, 100%.  The somewhat less cynical called it a modified tank.  You can call it luck, you can trivialize the achievement any way you want, but they won the death of the drought when numerous coaches and GMs had failed to do so for 17 years.  They also totally made over the roster and got us out of salary cap hell without even one year of unwatchable football.  i would not trade them for any pair in the league.  Pass the Kool-Aid please.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

well the first season was a surprise ! and that was with Whaley/ McD scouting.

This years draft feels focused and smart. Is that proof ? No of course not.

But the trend is looking good ! I remains cautiously optimistic :D

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did we win the offseason again?

I think we did.  Vontae Davis, Star, Horrible Harry, McCarron, Allen, Edmunds, even pieces like Kerley.  Sarcasm is fine, but in my view we did win the offseason.  But unlike that idiot Ryan you will never here these men say it.  So I will say it for them.  But Beane and McDermott never take a bow, they just say "we have a lot we need to do to get better still."  One of the reasons I love them.  So yeah, we won the offseason - just not "again."

• Like (+1) 3

Right now what we can say is they share a vision and are working hard to make it reality. They seem to work well together. They have brought in a bunch of needed talent and exiled those that weren’t buying in or performing. 

They now need to coach up what they have and get a little luck on the injury front. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

(yeah, I am trolling a little here)  ....the set up for the 2017 Draft meant that the coach and GM weren't working together.  Plenty of speculation about it all...maybe so, and maybe not...but it might have prevented the Bills from taking Watson or Mahomes....wich led of course to Allen this year.  ....and we simply can not say yet if this was a disaster or not...but we can certainly point to this as a point in time when the coach and outgoing GM were not likely on the same page.

whaleys scouting

McD is a defense guy and was very likely waiting for Beane to get settled before laying down the stack on the poker table for future franchise QB

Edited by 3rdand12

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

whaleys scouting

McD is a defense guy and likely waiting for Beane to get settled before laying down the stack on the poker table for future franchise QB

I absolutlely understand...and if I was McD, I'd probably have done the same thing...don't let the guy on the way out, lock me into a QB I haven't seen or evaluated and have that determine my fate....I'm not saying it was the wrong move by McD, but pointing out that these circumstances may come back and bite the Bills.

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

whaleys scouting

McD is a defense guy and likely waiting for Beane to get settled before laying down the stack on the poker table for future franchise QB

I don't believe Whaley had much to do with last year's draft other than to pass Bills' scouting evaluations across the table to McDermott.  Who then called Bean and said "here is what we think of this guy Brandon, what do you think?"  It was a great draft I think, but I don't believe Whaley deserves one ounce of credit. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think we did.  Vontae Davis, Star, Horrible Harry, McCarron, Allen, Edmunds, even pieces like Kerley.  Sarcasm is fine, but in my view we did win the offseason.  But unlike that idiot Ryan you will never here these men say it.  So I will say it for them.  But Beane and McDermott never take a bow, they just say "we have a lot we need to do to get better still."  One of the reasons I love them.  So yeah, we won the offseason - just not "again."

They have a lot more work to do especially on offense.  As I've been saying all offseason, rebuilding the team into a perennial playoff contender is more than a 2018 endeavor. 

Looking at the last 2 drafts ( I know Beane wasn’t here last year), they definitely have a type- lunch pail, team first, humble, don’t rock the boat, religious...

Not saying that any of these are bad qualities for a team sport.., but I also think a little bit of diversity wouldn’t go astray either...

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

They have a lot more work to do especially on offense.  As I've been saying all offseason, rebuilding the team into a perennial playoff contender is more than a 2018 endeavor. 

Couldn't agree more.  And I am sure Beane and McDermott would agree too. But that is what is so great, there is a clear plan.  We had a crap roster with lots of bloated salaries and egos.  I have every confidence offense will get done.  One of the things that makes me confident is Dabol.  I thought Dennison was horrible - unimaginative, poor timing for exotic play calls, and on an on.  Bills saw the same thing and BOOM - Dennison is gone.  

But I would like to pose my original question again (which was derailed with "let them win first"):

1. Is there any duo in the NFL at coach/GM you would rather have?

2. If so, is there any young duo you would rather have (recognizing it is hard to argue with the success of legend/fossil like Belichek); 

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Did we win the offseason again?

At least it’s not a Rex-style win....with words. They have taken actions, and I like most of them. NOW, we need to see it pan out, but that won’t happen overnight, if at all. Having said that, it’s the most optimistic I’ve been in quite a while. 

• Like (+1) 2

I always wondered if Whaley and Donahoe were still on Pittsburgh's payroll too. Thats where they both came from, just to keep our franchise down..........because that's how the down fall started after we dominated the AFC for so long in the 90's....