Beane & McDermott #1?

4 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Of course it is a new year and things can always go wrong.  Last year, could only do so much when we had so many salary problems.  So they fixed the back end last year, addressed the front 7 this year (while continuing to take care of the back-end by signing Davis rather than overpaying for EJ Fragile Gaines.  I probably would have signed Gaines and it would have been a mistake.  That's another reason why Beane and McDermott are so great.  didn't get over-excited about last year's back-end and throw unwarranted money at Gaines.   Vontae   Davis a much better value.)  

The point is - there appears to be a plan that could work.  Don't sleep on Hughes this year.  With Murphy on the other side I think he could really have a fine year.  He was all we had for pass rush.  

Gaines signed a 1 year $4M deal. Preston Brown did the same.That feels to me like it would have been money well spent. For $8M you’d have really made your roster a lot deeper. Again, not trashing, just saying it is to be determined. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that they’ve done a nice job (specifically McDermott). His team played above their talent and won enough games to get to the playoffs despite a fairly significant point differential. That tells me that they capitalized on opportunities to win games. It was the “anti-Rex.” 

I like the job that Beane has done this offseason. He had 2 goals, to reset the cap and find a franchise QB. He got the cap done and took a talented passer. Beane’s career depends on Allen.

Lastly, we still should be cautious on Beane. Everyone loves the GM doing the teardown. People liked Tim Murray at the time!! The easiest job in sports is starting over. You have a clean slate. Sam Hinkie reshaped the 76ers while Tim Murray butchered the Sabres. Time will tell if it works or not. 

Very fair point - but i don't think it is Beane alone here.  I think we rise or fall with McDermott.  Seems McDermott sets the vision for the building, Beane prices and orders the materials. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Gaines signed a 1 year $4M deal. Preston Brown did the same.That feels to me like it would have been money well spent. For $8M you’d have really made your roster a lot deeper. Again, not trashing, just saying it is to be determined. 

Loved Preston, but he does not fit the scheme.  Gaines would have been a mistake, IMHO.  There is a reason he got $4m - he wanted much more.  Plus Tre knew early he was out (if you remember their Twitter posts), so I don't think he wanted to be in Buffalo.  Good move on Gaines in my view.  Vontae is a beast if he can regain form - dude was All-Pro, not just Pro Bowl (and I don't see why he can't).  

7 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Very fair point - but i don't think it is Beane alone here.  I think we rise or fall with McDermott.  Seems McDermott sets the vision for the building, Beane prices and orders the materials. 

I don’t know we saw quite a different drafting philosophy this year IMO. It may be a small sample size but it looks different than last year. Last year you had really, really experienced “safe” (at least at the time) players drafted like Tre White and Zay Jones. They had extensive resumes This year feels like they went with all of the upside. Edmunds and Allen have massive ceilings but are not without risk. This to me is the Beane effect. He’s naturally more aggressive than McDermott. I’m not saying that one is right and one is wrong. It is just a different approach.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know we saw quite a different drafting philosophy this year IMO. It may be a small sample size but it looks different than last year. Last year you had really, really experienced “safe” (at least at the time) players drafted like Tre White and Zay Jones. They had extensive resumes This year feels like they went with all of the upside. Edmunds and Allen have massive ceilings but are not without risk. This to me is the Beane effect. He’s naturally more aggressive than McDermott. I’m not saying that one is right and one is wrong. It is just a different approach.

Kirby - like your posts, but I disagree on this one.  I think they are very similar in a different way.  Tre White, Zay (pre hotel incident), Dawkins, and Milano were all seen as hard-working character guys.  You have the same this year - Allen, Edmunds, Harry, and Johnson all from the same mold.  Team, character, work ethic.  That is the McDermott type, as that is what he is himself.

Hold Russ Brandon up next to Beane/McDermott.  Can you believe Russ Brandon was GM!  Think about that.  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think Sean McDermott is an excellent football coach. Thought it when he was DC in Carolina and thought it when we hired him, he was "my guy" last hiring season and I was delighted he got the job. 

I am still to be convinced on Brandon Beane. That isn't a criticism. He has just completed his first draft as a GM and none of the players he selected have take to the field yet so I think it is impossible to be convinced until those players have the chance to show up on Sundays. 

McDermott was "my guy" too. He was #1 on my wishlist (out of the people the Bills interviewed, anyway)

I have been intrigued by him since his rise in Philly when he took over for Jim Johnson, and became a fan at the end of 2012, and 2013 cemented it, after seeing what he did with that Carolina defense who im not sure how many expected to be as good as they ended up being. 

I was thrilled when I seen his name on the Bills interview list. I wanted the Bills to interview him the year they hired Rex. So I was pretty happy when we finally hired him. 

I was unsure of Beane, as I kind of felt like he was handed the job on McDermott's asking. But the front office and scouting staff he put together starting winning me over pretty quick...

I have been mostly impressed with him so far. I like the very calculated and thorough approach he takes to everything. I also like how aggressive he's been in remaking the roster and making trades, and especially how he went after the QB he wanted.

I probably like most that you can actually see a coherent plan in place. They don't just randomly bring in players. You can see how each guy they bring in fits their criteria/vision. 

He's a great public speaker too. He helps inspire confidence in him when I hear him talk. That's obviously not all that important in the grand scheme of things but it's sure a nice change after our few previous GMs... lol. 

Overall im pretty damn happy with this new regime so far. It's nice to see a Bills regime that seems so well respected in NFL circles. They're slowly turning the Bills back into a respectable organization instead of the butt of so many jokes. 

In one year the McBeanes took a team with the longest drought in major sports, dumped a boatload of the so-called stars, upended a loser culture, straightened out the salary cap situation, and methodically, systematically positioned themselves to draft a franchise-type QB.

Oh, I almost forgot.  They ended the drought.

A+.

• Like (+1) 2

A little over the top with personnel changes but really just standard stuff and by no means an indicator of future success.    

List of coaches who made the playoffs in year one and then flamed out over next few years is long.

McD might not even be the best active guy with "Bills HC" on their resume.........Marrone and Lynn have pretty stocked rosters.

Hopefully it works out but if not then hopefully "some" things they accomplish are enduring and are continued by the next regime so we don't have so much change and can transition quickly into a roster the new guys like.

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

McDermott was "my guy" too. He was #1 on my wishlist (out of the people the Bills interviewed, anyway)

I have been intrigued by him since his rise in Philly when he took over for Jim Johnson, and became a fan at the end of 2012, and 2013 cemented it, after seeing what he did with that Carolina defense who im not sure how many expected to be as good as they ended up being. 

I was thrilled when I seen his name on the Bills interview list. I wanted the Bills to interview him the year they hired Rex. So I was pretty happy when we finally hired him. 

I was unsure of Beane, as I kind of felt like he was handed the job on McDermott's asking. But the front office and scouting staff he put together starting winning me over pretty quick...

I have been mostly impressed with him so far. I like the very calculated and thorough approach he takes to everything. I also like how aggressive he's been in remaking the roster and making trades, and especially how he went after the QB he wanted.

I probably like most that you can actually see a coherent plan in place. They don't just randomly bring in players. You can see how each guy they bring in fits their criteria/vision. 

He's a great public speaker too. He helps inspire confidence in him when I hear him talk. That's obviously not all that important in the grand scheme of things but it's sure a nice change after our few previous GMs... lol. 

Overall im pretty damn happy with this new regime so far. It's nice to see a Bills regime that seems so well respected in NFL circles. They're slowly turning the Bills back into a respectable organization instead of the butt of so many jokes. 

Great post.  I completely agree on liking "especially how he went after the QB he wanted."  McDermott did the same moving up for Dawkins and Zay.  And McDermott/Beane did it this year not only with Allen, but also with Edmunds.  They are decisive.  They know who they like.  They have a plan.  Could not be more impressed!

• Like (+1) 1

They've built a decent team while simultaneously getting rid of non hard working players and giving the future an opportunity.   They secured next years draft picks and the most underrated part is they've done all of this while creating a massive amount of money to spend next year.   We're not a complete team but they've put themselves in a position in every aspect of FO management to do so.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

(yeah, I am trolling a little here)  ....the set up for the 2017 Draft meant that the coach and GM weren't working together.  Plenty of speculation about it all...maybe so, and maybe not...but it might have prevented the Bills from taking Watson or Mahomes....wich led of course to Allen this year.  ....and we simply can not say yet if this was a disaster or not...but we can certainly point to this as a point in time when the coach and outgoing GM were not likely on the same page.

I was a huge Watson fan, but he was not an option. You can't draft a QB without a GM in place. Unless they wanted to keep Whaley longterm they had to wait until this year to draft a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blue on Blue said:

In one year the McBeanes took a team with the longest drought in major sports, dumped a boatload of the so-called stars, upended a loser culture, straightened out the salary cap situation, and methodically, systematically positioned themselves to draft a franchise-type QB.

Oh, I almost forgot.  They ended the drought.

A+.

Great to see the drought end. I give McDermott much credit but I am still reluctant to give Beane any credit on this one. I think if McDermott was our coach during the Rex years the drought would have ended earlier. If Rex was coaching last years team the drought would still be on. Now we will see what Beane brings to the table. A mixed review so far in my book. The Dareus deal was bad. He foolishly give away picks in this years draft. With that being said Allen, Edmunds and Phillips are reasons to be excited and there is always a surprise that surfaces late in the draft or as a UFA. McCarron taking 1st string reps maybe a surprise as well. I'm optimistic but the jury is still on Beane in my book. 

3 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  Our guys are.  And I don't think they are just copying Carolina - they were buddies there, but not in charge.  I think they look at Carolina and say "here are all the things Carolina did well, how can we do it better."

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

We have plenty to be encouraged about. I think they are copying Carolina, which is not a bad thing.

This will be Dan Morgans first job in this capacity, so it's impossible to say right now if he helps or not, but I trust Beane to hire quality people. I'm expecting a lot from this staff, I think they are on the right track, but plenty of work ahead. It should be a fun season.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The thing is, they did.  They won a wild-card spot in year 1.  When they had absolutely nothing.  Almost an unbelievable achievement in my view.  The cynics on this board thought it was a tank, 100%.  The somewhat less cynical called it a modified tank.  You can call it luck, you can trivialize the achievement any way you want, but they won the death of the drought when numerous coaches and GMs had failed to do so for 17 years.  They also totally made over the roster and got us out of salary cap hell without even one year of unwatchable football.  i would not trade them for any pair in the league.  Pass the Kool-Aid please.

And yet people think we are tanking again. McD doesn't tank y'all. Made the playoffs with the cards he was dealt. Straight competitor

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think we did.  Vontae Davis, Star, Horrible Harry, McCarron, Allen, Edmunds, even pieces like Kerley.  Sarcasm is fine, but in my view we did win the offseason.  But unlike that idiot Ryan you will never here these men say it.  So I will say it for them.  But Beane and McDermott never take a bow, they just say "we have a lot we need to do to get better still."  One of the reasons I love them.  So yeah, we won the offseason - just not "again."

So coach speak gets u feeling all warm and cozy.  Lol

11 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I have been so impressed by Beane and McDermott.  What McDermott got out of the roster last year.  Beane's gumption to try to go get a QB and many other things.  Plus, one of the best things is they seem totally in-sync.  It seems when GM and coach are not on the same page it is a formula for disaster even if, independently, the coach and the GM might not be on the same page.  Our guys are.  And I don't think they are just copying Carolina - they were buddies there, but not in charge.  I think they look at Carolina and say "here are all the things Carolina did well, how can we do it better."

I think they may be the best Coach/GM pairing in the league.  And even if not the best now, perhaps the best YOUNG coach/GM combo - a band that could play together a long time.  Adding people like Dan Morgan only helps (quality people giving us a real football infrastructure).

Be interested in the board's thoughts.  How do they rank overall as a pair?  How about among young GM/Coach teams?  I think these guys are awesome, full disclosure.

I would say they are showing a ton of promise and we are heading in the right direction. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Sean McDermott is an excellent football coach. Thought it when he was DC in Carolina and thought it when we hired him, he was "my guy" last hiring season and I was delighted he got the job. 

I am still to be convinced on Brandon Beane. That isn't a criticism. He has just completed his first draft as a GM and none of the players he selected have take to the field yet so I think it is impossible to be convinced until those players have the chance to show up on Sundays. 

This. Add in some of the (I believe) questionable roster moves he made last season, and there are reasons to question his judgment. Judging him really does depend heavily on whether the Allen choice works out. 

40 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

This. Add in some of the (I believe) questionable roster moves he made last season, and there are reasons to question his judgment. Judging him really does depend heavily on whether the Allen choice works out. 

I disagree.  Allen is almost a free spin of the wheel.  We got the pick from KC for taking Tre White - no loss vs. Mahomes there.  We moved up for Cordy, who we did not want.  And one of the two seconds was for Sammy, who we did not want.  He did what he had to do to take a shot at a franchise guy with almost zero loss of draft capital.  Masterful.  So I do not think Beane's career is dependent on Allen.  Even taking a shot at our franchise QB, we had 7 other picks this year (including a #1), and all our picks next year.  If Allen is terrible they can do it again.  But I bet he is awesome.