Hawaiian Eruption Imminent?

Foxx

Hawaii has had over 600 earthquakes in the last 4 days. they are afraid that a volcanic eruption is imminent. Kilauea may erupt.

anyone here in close proximity? stay safe all.

Edited by Foxx

It's been flowing off and on for the last few years. The last major rift nearly took out the town of Pahoa but since then the majority of the eruptions have been confined to the crater area, specifically Halemaumau...if you want to live in lower Puna you just kind of have to deal with the possibility of a flow taking out your house. 

There won't be a Mt. St. Helens-type deal as our volcanoes are all shields as opposed to stratovolcanoes that erupt violently. The danger is mostly confined to which way the lava decides to flow.

• Like (+1) 1

That's been bubbling and erupting since the late 80's.  My wife & I were there 90 or 91.  Drove down a very long switch back road, from Volcano Park to the Pacific, only to find out that we couldn't get close enough to see the actual lava flow.  We could see the steam, where the lava was entering the ocean, but that's all.  A waste of time and expensive gas.

Kilauea's always erupting.  

It's the most active volcano on the planet, with the possible exception of Mt. Etna (I'm honestly not sure which is more active).  "Erupting" is just it's natural, constant state, like General Franco being dead, or Tom Brady cheating.

• Haha (+1) 3

Reminds me of the George Carlin bit on the environment.

He said something like "People build their homes on the edge of an active volcano, and then wonder why lava is flowing through the living room."

:lol:

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

That's been bubbling and erupting since the late 80's.  My wife & I were there 90 or 91.  Drove down a very long switch back road, from Volcano Park to the Pacific, only to find out that we couldn't get close enough to see the actual lava flow.  We could see the steam, where the lava was entering the ocean, but that's all.  A waste of time and expensive gas.

My ex and I did the helicopter tour in ‘94.  Very cool, right on top of the crater, flow, where the road ended in 10’ of hardened lava, etc.

p.s.  I’m a little disappointed GBID hasn’t posted a pic of a Hawaiian girl erupting out of her bikini top.

My geology teacher said the composition of Hawaii's volcanoes mean they can't do more than ooze magma to the surface...

...of course, this was the same guy who said Global Warming would render the Southwest uninhabitable by 2015.

Edited by unbillievable

11 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

My geology teacher said the composition of Hawaii's volcanoes mean they can't do more than ooze magma to the surface...

...of course, this was the same guy who said Global Warming would render the Southwest uninhabitable by 2015.

Well, he was right about one of those things. Hawaiian islands are shield volcanoes. The explosive ones are the composite volcanoes.

Now we know that climate change is actually a good thing for the Southwest, except for the erosion it will cause. Just don't build your house on the side of a hill...

Hawaii’s Kilauea erupts. Evacuations underway as lava threatens communities.

Been to Hawaii a number of times...can't help but think this would be cool to see in person.  Hope everyone in the lava path gets out and stays safe.

Think homeowners insurance in Hawaii covers lava damage?

23 minutes ago, eball said:

Been to Hawaii a number of times...can't help but think this would be cool to see in person.  Hope everyone in the lava path gets out and stays safe.

It would be majorly idiotic to buy a house there and not have it covered, but I wonder how expensive that coverage is...

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

They can also jet it too the surface, and if it's hot enough it can "ooze" really, really fast.

1 hour ago, eball said:

They have Hawai'i mapped out into risk zones.  Unsurprisingly, the people affected by this are in the top two risk tiers.  It's completely irresponsible to even allow home construction in those areas an for a long time you couldn't get certain loans in zones 1 and 2.  But in our infinite wisdom we rescinded that rule and more homes have been built in the highest risk lava areas.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/mf/1992/2193/mf2193.pdf

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's been flowing off and on for the last few years. The last major rift nearly took out the town of Pahoa but since then the majority of the eruptions have been confined to the crater area, specifically Halemaumau...if you want to live in lower Puna you just kind of have to deal with the possibility of a flow taking out your house. 

There won't be a Mt. St. Helens-type deal as our volcanoes are all shields as opposed to stratovolcanoes that erupt violently. The danger is mostly confined to which way the lava decides to flow.

Thank you for your update.

Keep us posted.

My best wishes to all there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

They have Hawai'i mapped out into risk zones.  Unsurprisingly, the people affected by this are in the top two risk tiers.  It's completely irresponsible to even allow home construction in those areas an for a long time you couldn't get certain loans in zones 1 and 2.  But in our infinite wisdom we rescinded that rule and more homes have been built in the highest risk lava areas.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/mf/1992/2193/mf2193.pdf

Land is cheap out there. And since pretty much the whole island isn’t technically dormant...meh, I don’t think it’s any less responsible than living along the San Andreas faultline.

10 hours ago, Foxx said:

my favorite Hawaiian

Thanks for that.

Like that version more than others, except Judy Garlands of course, never knew who sung it. For some odd reason, if I had to guess, I'd of guessed it was Don Ho.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Not really ooze:

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

They can also jet it too the surface, and if it's hot enough it can "ooze" really, really fast.

No one ever listens to me.  You'd think that after the "microwaving soup" thread years back, people would.  But they don't.

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No one ever listens to me.  You'd think that after the "microwaving soup" thread years back, people would.  But they don't.

wha?

Still trying to get over 'too the surface'...

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

this is where one of my peeps lives, it is Leilani Avenue in a small subdivison in Puna.

"C'mon, guys, you can stop telling me to be careful already."  As a chunk of lava audibly lands on his roof.  :lol:

What kind of structure could hold lava back? Not hold it back, but divert it where you want.

Would it be an earthen stucture, just to divert it somewhere else.

How about a big reservoir of water.

It's fluid and kinda slow... Gotta be something that could redirect.  Again, earthen structures set up to channel it elsewhere? Topographical control factors?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What kind of structure could hold lava back? Not hold it back, but divert it where you want.

Would it be an earthen stucture, just to divert it somewhere else.

How about a big reservoir of water.

It's fluid and kinda slow... Gotta be something that could redirect.  Again, earthen structures set up to channel it elsewhere? Topographical control factors?

It's been done - Iceland and Sicily.  Generally, it only buys you time until the particular eruption stops.  

In Iceland, they hit the flow with about a billion gallons of seawater over half a year.  Sicily...berms and trenches to redirect the flow, plus concrete blocks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/5/2018 at 7:03 PM, Foxx said:

this is where one of my peeps lives, it is Leilani Avenue in a small subdivison in Puna.

Not sure I'd be able to speak in that situation.  So primal.

Maybe shield volcanoes aren't so nice after all.  Quite insidious and sneaky... What a way to go, death clouds and flying projectiles.  I would rather just have it blow and be done with it (like St.Helens).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-kilaeua-volcano-explosive-eruptions-ballistic-rocks-ashfall-lava-usgs-warning-today-2018-05-09/

https://mobile.twitter.com/USGSVolcanoes/status/994282094904856576/photo/1

Dcxlgv0X0AIFEhq.jpeg

• 1 month later...