Beane not indicating Josh Allen will definitely redshirt

6 hours ago, Carter said:

Typical Bills. Trot him out there when he’s not ready and break him for the remainder of his career...

Stop living in the past.

New Regime. If he is best on the field he should start. If not he should sit.

what is so hard about this concept?

8 hours ago, Carter said:

Typical Bills. Trot him out there when he’s not ready and break him for the remainder of his career...

If Allen plays well enough to beat out two other QB's for the job that means he's ready enough.  He'll take his lumps as a young player, but McD has said from the start he is all about competition at every position; why should Allen be the exception?   

It's almost as if people don't believe what McD and Beane say when they say it.  Allen is the "type" of QB Beane described last year when asked what a franchise QB is to him.

Edited by purple haze

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When he is the best player, he'll play. It's highly unlikely that's week 1.

Not all that unlikely.  He might not technically be the best QB by week 1, but he might be the most impactful QB; meaning those crazy three or four video game throws he can make, that McCarron and Peterman cannot make, might be worth putting him on the field for; even if he throws an interception or two.

8 hours ago, No Cease Fires said:

Does anyone actually believe that Allen WON'T beat out AJ in camp? Unless they make a concerted effort to sit him out, the job is Josh's to lose. 

I don't think he will. I think Allen is already playing catch-up and he has a lot to work on.

I bet it ends up similar to KC and Mahomes last year where we only see Allen in 1 or 2 games.

We'll see though.

Edited by MJS

8 hours ago, Carter said:

What past QB do you feel was "ruined" in this way?

EJ Manuel (Sucked)

Trent Edwards? (Sucked)

JP Lossman? (Sucked)

Todd Collins? (Sucked)

Where is this QB that was destined for stardom, that the Bills somehow mismanaged?

All those guys were flawed, and they lived up to their scouting reports. 

EJM was considered a reach by virtually anyone who analyzes the draft. The whole world asked "why did the BIlls draft this guy so high?"

Trent Edwards was a 3rd round guy, who happened to have Bill Walsh praise him. Turned out he played like a 3rd rounder.

JP was the consolation prize that fell to the Bills because they got !@#$ed by the Steelers.

Todd Collins was just a guy.

I think they just never had much to work with.

Now they do.

Edited by OJABBA

This is pretty much what I believed they would do, which is to have an open competition between the three QB's.  Despite what everyone thinks, I think it's going to be a pretty close between them all.  I wouldn't be surprised if Allen won the competition.  I do believe he has been working on his mechanics and I also believe that there will be a noticeable difference in his mechanics from the time he was in Wyoming and by the time preseason begins.    I also believe he is a very smart dude and will learn the playbook in short order.  I also believe that the coaches will be enamored with some of the things that he can do better than the other two QB's.    With that said, I still give the slight edge to McCarron.  

The most ideal situation to bring in Allen, from his perspective,  would be after a period of games where the starter is looking lack luster.  That way he's coming in as the panacea.  A little less pressure.

If I had to put odds on who will start the season:

50% McCarron

40% Allen

10% Peterman

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

This is pretty much what I believed they would do, which is to have an open competition between the three QB's.  Despite what everyone thinks, I think it's going to be a pretty close between them all.  I wouldn't be surprised if Allen won the competition.  I do believe he has been working on his mechanics and I also believe that there will be a noticeable difference in his mechanics from the time he was in Wyoming and by the time preseason begins.    I also believe he is a very smart dude and will learn the playbook in short order.  I also believe that the coaches will be enamored with some of the things that he can do better than the other two QB's.    With that said, I still give the slight edge to McCarron.  

The most ideal situation to bring in Allen, from his perspective,  would be after a period of games where the starter is looking lack luster.  That way he's coming in as the panacea.  A little less pressure.

If I had to put odds on who will start the season:

50% McCarron

40% Allen

10% Peterman

Reasonable.

I think Peterman gets waaaay too much love on this board. He's just a guy.

Edited by OJABBA

As I said I the “Please God Red Shirt Allen” thread it makes little to no sense to automatically red shirt Allen. Let him go through preseason and then make that decision. If he’s the best QB on the roster, then he deserves and should play.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

18 hours ago, OJABBA said:

I think a lot depends on how McCarron plays.

You don’t think Peterman the great will challenge for starter position like a number of guys led by SaviorPeterman said?

18 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

how long did rogers sit (not comparing players, just bench time) or steve young. those two just off the top of my head but I'm sure a rookie QB in the past has had time with the clipboard before taking the reins.

however, if allen is the best through camp/preseason, he starts.

Rodgers sat behind a HOF player.  There wasn’t much developing being done.  Same with Young .  He was actually the starter on a horrible Tampa Bay before being rescued by the Niners ?

Edited by prissythecat

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wow... I think Allen might actually be the favorite to win the starting job week 1. Dude's got the football acumen... it all seems to be a question of how much he's cleaned up his mechanics.

Evidently, reports are he's already massively cleaned all that up. I am just highly highly highly skeptical something like accuracy could be fixed as quickly as he and Palmer are claiming, but we'll see. They say it was a small fix in the lower half of the body that made a huge difference in terms of consistency with accuracy.

Man, if Allen plays right away and plays well, Jordan Palmer is going to have a busy and lucrative career working as a guru for a position he could never play himself. Impressive.

After watching basicly all his games he has about 2 bad throws a game.  Imo that can be cleaned up.  He played in a very conservative system in terms of number of passes a game.  In comparison to Wentz in the same system in 15 less career games Allen threw for 49 less yards and 1 less td.  With superior talent around him in 2016, meaning 4 guys were in NFL training camps, he put up much better numbers and a better passer rating than Rosen.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

So when you said if he’s the best player he will play you actually meant when it’s best for him to play he will. 

It has to be ideal on all sides. His skills have to be at peak and his team has to be performing. Why do you want to recreate his senior year in Wyoming, unless you are rooting for him to fail?

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unlike the other two most QB needy teams, Browns and Jets, the Bills did not announce a plan for their highly drafted rookie Qb to sit the first year.

Unlike the other two most QB needy teams, Browns and Jets, the Bills did not announce a plan for their highly drafted rookie Qb to sit the first year.

Unless he is really bad in camp i would start him and find out what you have earily,  you can usually tell if the guy has it or not.  Baltimore started Joe Flacco in his first season and just focused on running the ball.  No sense wasting years,  get him in there and let him learn. It is not like he is playing behind experienced starting NFL QB

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It has to be ideal on all sides. His skills have to be at peak and his team has to be performing. Why do you want to recreate his senior year in Wyoming, unless you are rooting for him to fail?

If you wait for both sides to be ideal then you will be waiting for a long time. Experience can have a positive effect on development.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

If you wait for both sides to be ideal then you will be waiting for a long time. Experience can have a positive effect on development.

Not perfect, just with a chance for success. It sounds to me like some fans want him to play immediately no matter what. I'm not as impatient. I've seen what throwing guys out there gets you. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

If he’s the best QB on the roster, then he deserves and should play.

I don't necessarily agree with that. If his footwork is still inconsistent it makes no sense to throw him into a real NFL game. That will just ingrain his bad muscle memory. He must be brought along slowly. Our offense is probably going to suck this year no matter who the QB is. He needs to improve his mechanical issues before he should see the field IMO. Even if in every other way he's the best QB in training camp.

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think it's just staying true to "The Process".  Every position on this team needs to be open to competition and may the best man win.  QB should be no different.  Having said that, I hope AJ wins the competition and Allen has some time to sit and develop before he starts.  I wouldn't mind if he sits the entire season...

Agreed. That's the best thing for Allen, and if they don't rush him in there, then that's probably because AJ is at least serviceable.