Beane not indicating Josh Allen will definitely redshirt

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

Yeah I truly believe that the Bills brass counted on that and one of the reasons why they did NOT want to offer next year's 1st round pick.

I agree. Are we seeing the process unfold? 

Get your QB. Let him be forged in the fire. Build the Defense, and stock the offense next year in the draft, not to mention the cap space available. Seems legit

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unlike the other two most QB needy teams, Browns and Jets, the Bills did not announce a plan for their highly drafted rookie Qb to sit the first year.

I think the key word there is "somehow." Beane thinks it's unlikely.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I was hoping the team would be realistic about what is going on these next 1-2 seasons.

Are you implying that 18 AND 19 are writeoffs waiting til 20 to even begin to see if the qb can even play? 

What nfl have you been watching?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, No Cease Fires said:

Does anyone actually believe that Allen WON'T beat out AJ in camp? Unless they make a concerted effort to sit him out, the job is Josh's to lose. 

I see it flipped 100% the other way.

AJ is going to turn a lot of peoples heads this year.

When they drafted Allen, I felt like it would be a huge upset if he ended up starting. Not because AJ is great, but just because he’s considered very raw. That’s also why I was so convinced they wouldn’t pick him. Obviously if he wins the job, he’s the best option. I just figured they would pop the cork on him in 2019 regardless.

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I see it flipped 100% the other way.

AJ is going to turn a lot of peoples heads this year.

On the one hand, I hope this happens, and Allen gets much needed development time. On the other, I hope Allen blows everyone away and wins the job outright. I hope we don't get a case of both struggling and AJ gets the job by default. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Are you implying that 18 AND 19 are writeoffs waiting til 20 to even begin to see if the qb can even play? 

What nfl have you been watching?

how long did rogers sit (not comparing players, just bench time) or steve young. those two just off the top of my head but I'm sure a rookie QB in the past has had time with the clipboard before taking the reins.

however, if allen is the best through camp/preseason, he starts.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

When they drafted Allen, I felt like it would be a huge upset if he ended up starting. Not because AJ is great, but just because he’s considered very raw. That’s also why I was so convinced they wouldn’t pick him. Obviously if he wins the job, he’s the best option. I just figured they would pop the cork on him in 2019 regardless.

Genuinely not sure the answer but how many top 10 QBs have red shirted the last decade?

its got to be a tiny percentage and several were more potential than polish 

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, No Cease Fires said:

On the one hand, I hope this happens, and Allen gets much needed development time. On the other, I hope Allen blows everyone away and wins the job outright. I hope we don't get a case of both struggling and AJ gets the job by default. 

I'm with that as well. I just hope if Allen is going to start over AJ it will be due to play on the field and not were he was picked.

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

how long did rogers sit (not comparing players, just bench time) or steve young. those two just off the top of my head but I'm sure a rookie QB in the past has had time with the clipboard before taking the reins.

however, if allen is the best through camp/preseason, he starts.

Rodgers was behind a hall of fame qb 

young was the 80s and started a bunch of games before landing behind a hall of famer

if McCarron plays very very well it may prove me wrong. Part of my assertion is that we don’t have another reliable 16 game starter on the roster. 

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

Are any of them fast enough to red shift?  ;-)

Love that auto correct!

• Like (+1) 1

I think there's a pretty decent chance that Chris Simms had it right: Come training camp, Bills players and coaches and fans are going to see Josh Allen thrown 10 passes, and then see McCarron and Peterman throw 10 passes, and realize how superior Allen's arm strength and physical talent. Now, obviously there is more to playing QB in the NFL than having a big arm and physical talent, but it won't exactly be shocking if Josh Allen so significantly out-throws the other two guys that he winds up winning the job.

Remember, too: As much as everyone says Allen is a project, the system he played in at Wyoming was closer to NFL offense than any of the other top prospects from this year. 48% of snaps from under center, advanced route concepts, RPOs, you name it. The same system that Wentz ran in college. Oh, and he has that 37 Wonderlic score. People shouldn't be that shocked if he wins the job. If not by week 1, then certainly by week 6 or 7.

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jets previously announced Josh McCown will start in 2018 and Browns have declared Tyrod the starter on multiple occasions.

that could change if mayfield shines in camp,  you know he's motivated enough. if he does sit, just another example of a rook not ready to take the reins and can allow the starter to mentor to them for a season.

I'm for open competition, not just handing the job over.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The entire book on Allen was that he will need 1-2 years to develop before he’s ready to play. That’s why it’s interesting they apparently believe that’s fluid. 

You realize that “book” doesn’t exist right?  Let me know when someone truly can see the future.  No one knows whether he will be ready or not, they are guessing.  Russel Wilson wasn’t supposed to play and was the third QB on the roster behind 2 guys battling to start.  And he beat them both out, one of which they just snagged from GB to be their starter.  

So for anyone to decide today about September is not only comical, but pointless.  They are not going to start him if he isn’t ready, but they are also not going to decide in April before he’s even gotten a playbook if he is ready for September.  

Odds are, AJ likely starts week 1 given he’s got NFL seasoning and has shown potential.  But they are also not gonna rule out Allen might beat him out and flat out win the job in April.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Both of them have better, more experienced veterans than us, so it makes sense.

Additionally, simply saying it today means very very little. 

Would you be shocked if they changed minds?