Beane not indicating Josh Allen will definitely redshirt

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The entire book on Allen was that he will need 1-2 years to develop before he’s ready to play. That’s why it’s interesting they apparently believe that’s fluid. 

Cordy was a guard too. 

for all we know that book was again written by a gm hoping he’d slide out of the top 3. The draft tends to see people repeating each other so much you think everyone agrees. If crafty you can spin a weakness into a quote that becomes the entire story. 

We are about to learn a whole lot more about what our gm and coach thought of him.

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Rodgers was behind a hall of fame qb 

young was the 80s and started a bunch of games before landing behind a hall of famer

if McCarron plays very very well it may prove me wrong. Part of my assertion is that we don’t have another reliable 16 game starter on the roster. 

I agree that McCarron has to play well and he may and I believe he and DaBoll will work well together. as far as reliable 16 game starter behind him? well, he would be taking his lumps earlier then expected but he was drafted with the future in mind so I would hope that allen would be up to the challenge? have to find out sooner or later, maybe sooner, may be later?

draft is behind us now. they have their players and more (udfa) coming in. it's going to be, I want to say, a real exciting camp/preseason and I'm anticipating some good to come out of it in the end. McD has a competitor motor that rubs off on his players, regardless of where they're drafted or brought in from. I feel they'll be competitive and I may be in the minority saying so and but I'm looking forward to this season for sure.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem I see with this plan is I'm not sure, in McCarron, that we have a capable starter for 1, let alone 2, seasons.

So I have concern that, despite what Beane says, they WILL rush Allen

I said this yesterday.  AJ and Nate do not instill any confidence.  I don't see Allen having a difficult time beating either of them out.  If we are .500 or below after 8 weeks I can see the Allen era beginning, if not before that.

46 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Well yeah, you aren’t going to sit Allen if he’s the best QB at camp. 

Just because he’s the best QB at the camp doesn’t mean he’s ready , considering the competition 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Gotta say, I'm not encouraged with a project QB starting behind this current o-line.  

Valid. The good news is, he's used to a crappy o-line, and can move well for a big guy. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

19 minutes ago, QCity said:

Did you expect the GM to immediately announce that his 1st round pick was benched for the 1st season?

My point was that the other 2 teams did that.

i didn’t expect that unless they drafted Allen, who is the least “ready” of the top QBs according to everything I’ve seen 

Edited by YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think there's a pretty decent chance that Chris Simms had it right: Come training camp, Bills players and coaches and fans are going to see Josh Allen thrown 10 passes, and then see McCarron and Peterman throw 10 passes, and realize how superior Allen's arm strength and physical talent. Now, obviously there is more to playing QB in the NFL than having a big arm and physical talent, but it won't exactly be shocking if Josh Allen so significantly out-throws the other two guys that he winds up winning the job.

Remember, too: As much as everyone says Allen is a project, the system he played in at Wyoming was closer to NFL offense than any of the other top prospects from this year. 48% of snaps from under center, advanced route concepts, RPOs, you name it. The same system that Wentz ran in college. Oh, and he has that 37 Wonderlic score. People shouldn't be that shocked if he wins the job. If not by week 1, then certainly by week 6 or 7.

well now....by this narrative Mr Allen would be brought in by game 6-7....which infers to me failure of likely AJ McCarron/Nathan Peterman...whomever is starter, so Josh Allen somehow is offered the starting job......wouldn't it matter WHY the other QBs failed and would they be throwing him to the wolves...I doubt highly Mr Allen will be a starter in 2018  I don't care how many losses the other 2 rack up tbh... if the line doesn't hold up do not I repeat DO NOT put him in there to be killed...just sayin.....2019 will be the optimal year in my opinion. .... 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Nope. Pretty sure in 2012 Seattle expected Matt Flynn to be their starter around this time of year

I just don’t get their plan. Mccarron is a backup and they drafted a project. Maybe they wanted Bradford and just couldn’t get it done. Just don’t see any team saying “yeah we are open to this piece of clay starting now” 

personally I believe in throwing the rookie in the 1st year, in general . But going by what everyone has said regarding Allen and his learning curve, that seems unwise with him. Rosen and mayfield were the only two considered ready to play. I was never really against Allen as a player, I was always against his fit in Buffalo due what we have or don’t have in place. They don’t seem set up for him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

how long did rogers sit (not comparing players, just bench time) or steve young. those two just off the top of my head but I'm sure a rookie QB in the past has had time with the clipboard before taking the reins.

however, if allen is the best through camp/preseason, he starts.

These two examples do not strengthen your argument.  Rodgers sat while Favre was one of the elite QB's in the league and Steve Young sat for 4 years behind some guy named Joe Montana.

The Browns and Jets also have QB's on their rosters that have started a bunch of games in the league while the Bills have McCarron who has only thrown 133 regular season passes in his career.  I would think that the Bills hope McCarron can start the season as their #1 but are hoping even more that Allen is ready to take over sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just don’t get their plan. Mccarron is a backup and they drafted a project. Maybe they wanted Bradford and just couldn’t get it done. Just don’t see any team saying “yeah we are open to this piece of clay starting now” 

personally I believe in throwing the rookie in the 1st year, in general ... just going by what everyone has said regarding Allen and his learning curve. Rosen and mayfield were the only two considered ready to play. I was never really against Allen as a player, I was always against his fit in Buffalo due what we have or don’t have in place. They don’t seem set up for him.

I just don't think he's a piece of clay. I think he's a smart QB who has some experience under center, reading alignments, and adjusting protections at the line. He had some footwork issues that he has been working with Jordan Palmer to fix for months and he comes across as very aware of those issues. My impression is that the best thing he can get at this point is more experience - Carson Wentz style. He comes across as a guy who learns best from doing, so if he's even close to AJ in terms of reading & adjusting I'm playing him. He's not a converted TE who's learning how to play QB, he's a QB who needs more experience.

And yeah, I know that flies in the face of everything people said previously. That's just my impression of the kid after researching more, watching film again, listening to him talk and field questions, and talking to him briefly.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow... I think Allen might actually be the favorite to win the starting job week 1. Dude's got the football acumen... it all seems to be a question of how much he's cleaned up his mechanics.

Evidently, reports are he's already massively cleaned all that up. I am just highly highly highly skeptical something like accuracy could be fixed as quickly as he and Palmer are claiming, but we'll see. They say it was a small fix in the lower half of the body that made a huge difference in terms of consistency with accuracy.

Man, if Allen plays right away and plays well, Jordan Palmer is going to have a busy and lucrative career working as a guru for a position he could never play himself. Impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I just don't think he's a piece of clay. I think he's a smart QB who has some experience under center, reading alignments, and adjusting protections at the line. He had some footwork issues that he has been working with Jordan Palmer to fix for months and he comes across as very aware of those issues. My impression is that the best thing he can get at this point is more experience - Carson Wentz style. He comes across as a guy who learns best from doing, so if he's even close to AJ in terms of reading & adjusting I'm playing him. He's not a converted TE who's learning how to play QB, he's a QB who needs more experience.

And yeah, I know that flies in the face of everything people said previously. That's just my impression of the kid after researching more, watching film again, listening to him talk and field questions, and talking to him briefly.

I hope you are right, Hokie. And I hope Wyatt Teller is blocking for him for many years! 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I hope you are right, Hokie. And I hope Wyatt Teller is blocking for him for many years! 

I hope so too, but I also won't be disappointed if he sits for a bit. Just offering a different take than I've seen presented by most.

I think someone made my koolaid with everclear, btw.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I hope so too, but I also won't be disappointed if he sits for a bit. Just offering a different take than I've seen presented by most.

I think someone made my koolaid with everclear, btw.

That’s called “Hairy Buffalo” where I went to school

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, No Cease Fires said:

Does anyone actually believe that Allen WON'T beat out AJ in camp? Unless they make a concerted effort to sit him out, the job is Josh's to lose. 

I am not so sure...AJ has been on the bench for the last five years being part of NFL games...He has enough game-day experience to understand how to play in the NFL.  I am sure he will get the nod over Allen unless Allen is lights out in TC or AJ is really so bad.

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, No Cease Fires said:

On the one hand, I hope this happens, and Allen gets much needed development time. On the other, I hope Allen blows everyone away and wins the job outright. I hope we don't get a case of both struggling and AJ gets the job by default. 

Agree, it's ideal for him to sit for a bit, but I think we are all hoping for him to pull a Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz. Blow up training camp and proves he belongs on the field from day 1