The Bills don't need a WR.

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

It is my contention that Rod Streater, who was lighting it up in camp last year before getting hurt, is a very viable option for the #2 role. He runs a 4.37 and put up almost a thousand yards in Oakland a few years ago. He's a hard-working guy and doesn't have any noticeable weaknesses. I look for him to cement the role in camp.

Benjamin
Streater
Kerley
Z. Jones
Holmes
Clay

This puts Z. Jones as your #4; pressure off and he could come into his own. Kerley is your starter in the slot. Holmes offers size in the red zone and Clay is an option to stretch the field.

Keep dreaming,  worst WR group in the NFL

best thing to hear the rest of the offseason would be Zay is looking like a different player , he is catching everything.  

I think during free agency the receiver  market got over priced quickly and this is not a great receiver draft.  they are going to have to mix and match all season . At the end of the day a healthy Benjamin is huge, Zay or kerley in the slot and they need to get lucking and find another outside guy with long speed.   

6 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

It's amazing that people are actually agreeing with the OP.  As  the roster stands now, the Bills WR receiving corp is easily bottom 5 in the league.   

Need at least 1 speed guy who can catch.    It would be nice to have a little talent to at least give McCarron a fighting chance to prove himself as a starting QB. 

We need more wideouts, but they may not get here this year and that is okay.  It is tough to even evaluate what we have.  I really liked TT, but my man could just not get the ball out.  I think Clay is very underrated.  First, dude is a warrior - blocks like a beast and plays even though his knees are falling off.  Second, and more relevant to the OP, can't say how many times I saw him running open on a intermediate seam route with serious RAC potential and - Tyrod runs.  Same with Shady.  He proved in Philly he can take it to the house on a wheel  route but TT could not lay it on him down the field.  AJ and Allen can make those throws.  So I was more saying - we are not devoid of weapons.  Add to Shady and Clay that Benjamin is good and Zay may be (and that Reilly might be good too), and we could have an okay aerial attack while we work to get our Julio Jones or AJ Green true #1.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Well this is just all type of wrong. The Bill's absolutely need WRs.

I assume you were not responding to my post above yours as the first line says "we need more wideouts" -- 

Having said that, one other thing:  Makes no sense restocking the wideouts before we can stop the run.  We got absolutely punked on the ground by Saints/Chargers.  If you can't stop the run you don't get the ball back to use the wideouts.  We have taken care of that.  I think it is ridiculous to assume Beane and McDermott do not understand exactly what they need and want at wideout.  They will fix it.  Trust the Process!

10 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Keep dreaming,  worst WR group in the NFL

It is possible that our WR's will improve just by (hopefully) having a QB that can actually throw the ball.

But yes, we need to add some speed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Rod Streater as #2 WR?  That is reassuring

I know what you're saying but man the guy really stood out from everyone else last year in camp.    At least for the practices i saw.  Too bad he got injured.

He's got perfect size (6'3) and he will go over the middle.   Has over a hundred catches and 10 TD's, it's not like he doesn't know how to play.

I agree with the OP here, I think a rookie will have a tough time cracking the top 4.   Possibly a pure speed guy as a role player.  Otherwise get me a steal at RT or a swing guard.

Nobody is going to be afraid to face those WR's except for maybe Benjamin and his size and large catch radius.

Can the Bills make it work with those guys? Absolutely. If we don't upgrade anymore I think we'll be ok for a year, and I expect Beane will bring in guys to compete for roles throughout the season.

But ultimately we need to get better at the position. It is not a position of strength.

I looked last night for WR's that fit the Beane/McDermott profile we are starting to see.

I couldn't help but stop at Justin Watson.  Big, athletic with a high work ethic.

Maybe in the 5th?

Overview
Big, productive receiver with good football character who has upped his draft slotting with a eye-opening pro day. Watson dominated cornerbacks in the Ivy League, but may not have the suddenness to get off press or the acceleration to uncover against tight man coverage. His size and ball skills are intriguing, but he'll need to prove this his athletic testing can carry-over onto the field. He's a likely day three selection whose size, speed and explosion numbers could give him a bigger push than expected.
Strengths
  • Very good NFL size with muscular, well-proportioned frame
  • Outstanding football character with first-in, last-out mentality
  • Posted three years of heavy production and scored at least one touchdown in each game this year
  • Sinks hips into breaks for sudden stops
  • Ball skills are solid
  • Ball tracking comes easily
  • Finds it early and can bring it in over his shoulder
  • Quick to snatch and tuck
  • Makes late contortions to the ball to bring it in
  • Consistent to secure throws both high and low
  • Has awareness to drop feet near sideline
  • Ran a 4.4 forty and posted a 40" vertical leap to wow teams at his pro day
Weaknesses
  • Despite monster testing numbers, doesn't move with desired suddenness
  • Level of competition at cornerback didn't offer challenging looks
  • Needs stronger upfield push into his routes
  • Has to prove he won't get glued to press off release
  • Needs to prove he can run more of the route tree
  • Room for improvement in setting up route breaks
  • Doesn't run with much elusiveness after the catch

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It is possible that our WR's will improve just by (hopefully) having a QB that can actually throw the ball.

But yes, we need to add some speed.

Like Sammy Watkins....wait he had better numbers with Tyrod. That doesnt fit the storyline. Tyrod is so awful, he cannot even throw the ball like a high school QB. ur WR's would all be HOFers if they only had a mediocre high school QB. 

55 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Current realities are that teams have been loading up on multiple, quality WRs.  One example is the Falcons selecting Ridley in Round 1 even though they already had Jones and Sanu.  I hope Jones can develop this year, but if not, we likely will have the worst overall group of WRs in the NFL.

Yeah the Bills really don't value the WR position.

They may address it today but to get this far into the offseason in 2018 with just one proven quality NFL WR on their roster.........that's truly inexplicable.

I think Benjamin is the most underrated player on our entire team. He is a legit #1 WR. He is better then Sammy IMO. The issue with him last year was the QB. Not saying that is much better this year, but AJ will give him chances. You can see when Nate got in last year, he looked for KB on almost every play. Obviously it didn’t work out for him but in the colts game, considering the circumstances...Peterman played well. It’s sad that a rookie QB knew to throw it to our best guy and a 6 year vet “pro bowler” couldnt figure that out. We are better at WR then people think but we need Zay Jones to be the guy he was supposed to be. I like Kurley. I like Holmes. I’d like to see a speed guy added to the mix but if we don’t, we don’t. If Zay Jones ends up playing well, we will be more then fine at WR.

Kaelin Clay must have something we have not seen yet.  Not saying he is any part of he answer, really have no idea.  But I do find it interesting that, being familiar with him, Bean and McDermott trade for him.  Then injuries force them to expose him and Carolina grabs him right back.  Then we swipe him back.  Either we and Panthers are Robert Woods crazy or kid has something.  Poster above makes an interesting point about Dupree too.  I agree with MJS - we can limp by for a year.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I looked last night for WR's that fit the Beane/McDermott profile we are starting to see.

I couldn't help but stop at Justin Watson.  Big, athletic with a high work ethic.

Maybe in the 5th?

Overview
Big, productive receiver with good football character who has upped his draft slotting with a eye-opening pro day. Watson dominated cornerbacks in the Ivy League, but may not have the suddenness to get off press or the acceleration to uncover against tight man coverage. His size and ball skills are intriguing, but he'll need to prove this his athletic testing can carry-over onto the field. He's a likely day three selection whose size, speed and explosion numbers could give him a bigger push than expected.
Strengths
  • Very good NFL size with muscular, well-proportioned frame
  • Outstanding football character with first-in, last-out mentality
  • Posted three years of heavy production and scored at least one touchdown in each game this year
  • Sinks hips into breaks for sudden stops
  • Ball skills are solid
  • Ball tracking comes easily
  • Finds it early and can bring it in over his shoulder
  • Quick to snatch and tuck
  • Makes late contortions to the ball to bring it in
  • Consistent to secure throws both high and low
  • Has awareness to drop feet near sideline
  • Ran a 4.4 forty and posted a 40" vertical leap to wow teams at his pro day
Weaknesses
  • Despite monster testing numbers, doesn't move with desired suddenness
  • Level of competition at cornerback didn't offer challenging looks
  • Needs stronger upfield push into his routes
  • Has to prove he won't get glued to press off release
  • Needs to prove he can run more of the route tree
  • Room for improvement in setting up route breaks
  • Doesn't run with much elusiveness after the catch

Interesting, thanks for posting.  Check out Valdes-Scantling, who I mentioned in another post.  High character guy and off the chart measurables.  

Panthers on the clock!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, The Bills Blog said:

It is my contention that Rod Streater, who was lighting it up in camp last year before getting hurt, is a very viable option for the #2 role. He runs a 4.37 and put up almost a thousand yards in Oakland a few years ago. He's a hard-working guy and doesn't have any noticeable weaknesses. I look for him to cement the role in camp.

Benjamin
Streater
Kerley
Z. Jones
Holmes
Clay

This puts Z. Jones as your #4; pressure off and he could come into his own. Kerley is your starter in the slot. Holmes offers size in the red zone and Clay is an option to stretch the field.

Sooooo.... your relying on Ron Streater?? 

News flash: if you have Kerley, Holmes & Streater in your starting line up.. I think your WR group is down right awful 

Edited by Scorp83

what they need they won't find until next year. However the group as a whole is not horrible. Benjamin is legit and they have enough candidates that something will work out at the slot position, and even if somebody doesn't step up Kerley is useful in the slot.  They don't have a big time outside burner and they may not have one this year.