Irresponsible to trade away so many picks?

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Isnt it always thh case that "if he is a stud no one will care". That is part of the issue, the draft is a gamble, meaning the more chances you have the more likely one will hit. Both guys the Bills took could be considered riskier picks. A QB with lots of upside but lots of questions. A LB that is not even 20 years old. 

Allen is risky.  LB who is 6-5  250 # with track speed.  That's not like a normal 19yo

To some extent I can see the OP's point.  I like what BB did with the picks.  Yet you feel a bit of Tim Murray who blew off a lot of draft capital.  Of course TM ended with nothing other than Eichal and out of a job

Edited by MarkyMannn

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Trading up and grabbing Edmunds like they did was the smartest move of the night. I expected him to go at the latest to the Dolphins. We now have a starting MLB who is as athletically gifted as they come, a hell of a player on the field, and he's only going to get better because he is only 19 years old at the moment. This guy could be the QB of the defense for the next decade and then some. 

I've been wondering a lot about that. He doesn't look like a classic MLB.  Is the middle his true position?

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

No. We ALL knew we would have to give up picks to get our franchise QB. Luckily it did not take as much as we first thought it would. Well worth what we gave up in my opinion.

I agree completely.  Just two nights ago people were SURE that the Bills need to trade both FIRST round picks for a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Good God.

.......sad isn't it?...weren't there about 34,783 threads about surrendering multiple picks (some well thought out proposals like both 1sts in 2018 and 2019 1st) to move UP to 2nd?.....and now after they trade picks, they don't know what the hell they're doing?...wow.......

56 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

By the time the second round is done we’ll have two draft picks....just like most teams. Except both ours came in Round One.  What’s wrong with that?

Essentially we traded a chance at Watson/Mahomes last year, +1st rd pick,  +2nd rd pick, Cordy Glenn, Sammy Watkins, and Tyrod Taylor for Josh Allen and Edmunds.   That looks like we just made the team worse as opposed to better.  But if Beane is right and Allen becomes a franchise QB that is much better than Watson/Mahomes/Rosen then it won't matter how many players & picks we got rid of to draft him.  If he's only slightly better than Watson/Mahomes/Rosen then clearly we gave up too much.  And if he's worse.. then Beane will be some other team's problem in 2 years.  

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I've been wondering a lot about that. He doesn't look like a classic MLB.  Is the middle his true position?

He is versatile enough to play anywhere in the LB unit, but he was drafted to start @ MLB for us. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Let's be real Allen probably would've been there at 12. (especially after the tweets as no team wants to deal with that).

We will never know the truth but there is speculation the Bucs had at least one other offer for #7.

The Jets gave up 3 earlier 2nd rnd picks to go 3 spots from 6 to 3

Going from 12-7 only cost 2  late 2nds for the Bills.

5 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

Essentially we traded a chance at Watson/Mahomes last year, +1st rd pick,  +2nd rd pick, Cordy Glenn, Sammy Watkins, and Tyrod Taylor for Josh Allen and Edmunds.   That looks like we just made the team worse as opposed to better.  But if Beane is right and Allen becomes a franchise QB that is much better than Watson/Mahomes/Rosen then it won't matter how many players & picks we got rid of to draft him.  If he's only slightly better than Watson/Mahomes/Rosen then clearly we gave up too much.  And if he's worse.. then Beane will be some other team's problem in 2 years.  

But if Allen is the Franchise QB and Edmunds the QB of the defense for the next decade then Beane will look like a savior. 

How often do 2nd round picks succeed hit or miss? 50% maybe? So let's say half our 2nd round picks succeeded, so that leaves you with one hit and a chance you lose that player to free agency in 4 years. If we strike gold with Josh Allen, he will be here for 15 years, same can't be said for the WR, OL, DL or LB we would have taken in RD2.

For Edmunds we gave up #65 to move up for a top 10 talent. How often do 3rd round picks materialize?

At the end of the day we got two difference makers at our two biggest weaknesses and we still have a 3rd, 4th and two 5ths to add more talent, we are actually sitting pretty right now.

41 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think its more accurate to say that they swung for a potential franchise QB

Which is all you can ask for...you cant get them in free agency......they cost a ton....this was a strong QB draft

Josh Allen's contract is going to be 4 years for 21 million.

Ryan Tannehill's Cap Hit is 26.6 next year.

FWIW.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Josh Allen's contract is going to be 4 years for 21 million.

Ryan Tannehill's Cap Hit is 26.6 next year.

FWIW.

Arent the 1st round picks 5 years?

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

He is versatile enough to play anywhere in the LB unit, but he was drafted to start @ MLB for us. :thumbsup:

He is a damn freak

He is a cover LB but weighs 250 pounds.....McD found his Carolina style LB that he needed for this D.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

No absolutely not.

I guess I'm just not very happy that we traded up TWICE in round 1.

If we stayed at 22 at least we would've had pick number 65 tonight also. 

I dont understand how you are thinking. You would rather not have a top LB so you can have another pick in the 3rd round? How does that make any sense?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Arent the 1st round picks 5 years?

He is a damn freak

He is a cover LB but weighs 250 pounds.....McD found his Carolina style LB that he needed for this D.

4 year contract with a 5th year team option.

There are seven rounds and the Bills have 8 picks: 1 in the top ten of the first; 1 super-early 2nd rounder (so early it's in the mid first round!); 1 in the third, 1 in the fourth, 2 in the fifth, 1 in the sixth, and 1 in the seventh.

They have a full complement of picks and then some. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

doesn't matter

we will most likely be picking top 5 next year, maybe top 3. We have the worst oline in the league, the defense still has many holes and imo overachieved last year, they will struggle

McCoy is getting old, we have no WR's and QB situation is a question mark. We are going to get good picks next season plus have one of the most cap room in the league 

Edited by Yeezus

so my thought was at first.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it not both seconds,, Then we got Edmunds and I was like well.. we have rest of FA left and lots of room next year to get more from FA.. I am ok with it.. get your DT or G in third and we will work it out

trusting the process no matter how scary it is lol

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

We have a ton of holes on this team and were going into Day 2 with only 1 late pick? 

It's really mind boggling. I think it would've made much more sense to trade DOWN at 22 and pick up more draft picks.

Does this regime even now what the hell they're doing? 

it's okay. you have become hypnotized by all the 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 seasons of mediocrity. expect more.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Cardinals tried to trade to 7 for him but couldn’t match our offer.

when one team is willing to give away a 25% premium to par value, it's best to walk away and not get into a contest with an idiot; winner's curse and all.

three picks later the Cardinals paid par value. And arguably got away with the better, certainly, the more NFL ready QB.