Irresponsible to trade away so many picks?

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

No sense risking it. In 15 years if Allen turns out to be big ben and has a hall of fame career, are you actually going to care that the Bills traded 2 second round picks to get him?

No absolutely not.

I guess I'm just not very happy that we traded up TWICE in round 1.

If we stayed at 22 at least we would've had pick number 65 tonight also. 

Edited by Klaista2k

This is a pretty poor take. Regardless of the fact that I disagree with Allen as the choice the team needed a QB badly and Beane is 1000% right when he said as a GM your responsibility is trying to find a long term guy. He did that and created the capital throughout the season to move up to do so. Guess what if Allen works out the holes at WR and OL really won't matter funny how that happens when you have a QB. They moved up and then got a starting LB which was the second biggest need the team has. They still have a 3rd, 4th, two 5ths, 6th, and a 7th which is plenty to work with. They didn't touch their 2019 draft picks so they have a full draft there also.

There is a saying quality of quantity. Sure the Bills could've kept their picks and possibly lucked into a starting LB or OL. Instead they moved for a guy they wanted who is universally acclaimed to be a starting LB out of college. Yes perhaps the LB from Iowa works out but if they like a guy I'd rather they go for it (including Allen) then settle like we have with JP, McCargo, etc...

If the draft falls something like this are you really that mad because they didn't add one extra OL or DL:

1. Allen

1. Edmunds

3. WR

4. OL

5. OL

5. DL

6. CB

7. BPA

The Bills still are one heavy with draft picks at this point from the normal 8. Truthfully you seem to making a mound out of a mole hill.

• Like (+1) 1

Isnt it always thh case that "if he is a stud no one will care". That is part of the issue, the draft is a gamble, meaning the more chances you have the more likely one will hit. Both guys the Bills took could be considered riskier picks. A QB with lots of upside but lots of questions. A LB that is not even 20 years old. 

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

So Cardinals did prefer Allen over Rosen as well?

It was reported that was their target more then Rosen. If you read a lot of mocks from reputable people they had Zona ahead of us for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

We have a ton of holes on this team and were going into Day 2 with only 1 late pick? 

It's really mind boggling. I think it would've made much more sense to trade DOWN at 22 and pick up more draft picks.

Does this regime even now what the hell they're doing? 

OK I will play

We are damn lucky we didnt give away 3 first round picks (and perhaps more) for our franchise QB it is only Beane being smart (and some luck that teams would not trade with us) that prevented that.....we actually came out AHEAD on giving up draft capital that allowed the Edmunds pick and we STILL have our 2019 first rounder

If anything Beane did well here

23 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

We have a ton of holes on this team and were going into Day 2 with only 1 late pick? 

It's really mind boggling. I think it would've made much more sense to trade DOWN at 22 and pick up more draft picks.

Holes, holes, holes...  20 years of this flawed thinking is enough.  We quite possibly just filled the most gaping damn hole we've had on this team since Kelly retired!  Let it go, sit back and enjoy the ride!  If we suck this year, it just means we'll have good draft position next year in a draft with no real QB prospects and we'll have more money than god to use in the free agency to plug the "holes".  

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We still have 6 more picks

Yeah those two in the 5th, and 6th and 7th rounders should really solidify this team.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Here's hoping you come back around :D

Hope so too. Last night was the most disappointed I've been in a draft since I've followed the team in 1963. And I have seen many disappointing Bills' drafts.

Also, forget about those antiquated trade charts that Jimmy Johnson popularized. The Jets set the price by giving up THREE 2nd rounders (which were/will be HIGH 2nd rounders, assuming the Jets are the Jets in 2018) to move up 3 spots (from 6 to 3). There was competition from Arizona and other teams for the Bucs' #7 pick, so paying the price of TWO mid-to-late 2nd rounders seems reasonable.

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Yeah those two in the 5th, and 6th and 7th rounders should really solidify this team.

Hope so too. Last night was the most disappointed I've been in a draft since I've followed the team in 1963. And I have seen many disappointing Bills' drafts.

Been following them closely since 1968 myself. He wasn't my first choice either; however, I clearly am not as disappointed as you. I was texting with my son during the pick and we were both leaning toward Rosen. We both had the same reaction: A little disappointment and then the feeling we may be better off in the long run. I do think he is a legitimate top 10 talent and I am hoping that comes through in his game. We can only wait and see.

I know it isn't much; however, go watch the third quarter of the Senior Bowl - it made me feel a little better and somewhat hopeful.

Hang in there, brother.

41 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Awwww did someone poo poo on your Friday draft plans?  

As I have stated many times, never trade up, trade down if possible, draft BPA with close grades going to positions of need.  In hindsight - I would of stayed at 21 and  22 and drafted Edmunds and Lamar

53, 56, 63 I would add from Fred warner, Josey, or Jerome Baker.  From Anthony Miller, Dante Pettis, Chard.  And I would draft lineman here out with exception of Hercules Mata afa.  I would strongly consider nick Chubb or Ronald jones too.  We could have traded down and add more draft capital  It’s good to have options.  Now ours are limited.  Let’s hope josh is the real deal.  And if our D can generate pressure, we might have a great defense.  

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

OK I will play

We are damn lucky we didnt give away 3 first round picks (and perhaps more) for our franchise QB it is only Beane being smart (and some luck that teams would not trade with us) that prevented that.....we actually came out AHEAD on giving up draft capital that allowed the Edmunds pick and we STILL have our 2019 first rounder

If anything Beane did well here

If we gave away 3 first we would have looked really foolish. Bc we could have done that does not mean it looks better we only gave away two seconds. Point is we possibly could have gave away nothing. Or a 3rd and 5th like AZ did. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Been following them closely since 1968 myself. He wasn't my first choice either; however, I clearly am not as disappointed as you. I was texting with my son during the pick and we were both leaning toward Rosen. We both had the same reaction: A little disappointment and then the feeling we may be better off in the long run. I do think he is a legitimate top 10 talent and I am hoping that comes through in his game. We can only wait and see.

I know it isn't much; however, go watch the third quarter of the Senior Bowl - it made me feel a little better and somewhat hopeful.

Hang in there, brother.

It will pass. i hope the kid is good and I can eat crow - with relish if so. I watched a few of his games, and it just wasn't pretty. Great scrambler but shaky on any exotic defensive looks. After EJ, Losman and Rob Johnson, I'm tired of strong armed, high ceiling projects. I just wanted a QB who can make read a defense, climb the pocket and make the throws, accurately.  I just don't see this kid doing that. Is what it is. I really am disappointed today. 

45 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

So its great when they build up the capital by getting picks but when they actually go to use that excess capital for what they got it for, they dont know what they are doing?

Hoe does this even make sense in your mind? Id love to know...honestly no I wouldnt...it would hurt my brain to try and dumb myself down to that level...

Welcome to RBM - stands for Roster Building Mediocrity.  This is the new game show for teams who pass on generational talent or potential franchise QBs to keep second-round picks that yield players who more often than not end up on someone else's roster in 3 or 4 years or out of the NFL.  

Last night was a unique situation.  Two talents who the brain trust obviously coveted fell.  McDermott said it--this team needs difference makers--you a pay a price to get them but they are worth it.   The day Tremaine Edmunds steps on the field MLB, the QB of the D, goes from a below average starter who couldn't cover a fullback in the flat nor fight through a block to a guy that disposes of blocks, covers RBs and smashes TE's at the line.    The day Josh Allen steps on the field he can make throws that very few if any QBs in the league can make.  They are both raw as **** but we haven't seen talent like this since #12, #78, #97 retired....