RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

He did have over 20 drops on the season.

Add 11 completions , 1 over every game for drops and his % rises to 60%

Add 15 over 11 games or 1.3 completions per game to compensate for drops and his completion % rises to a respectable 61.8%

his team dropped more than that too

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

and go watch the videos with Rich Eisen and Trent Dilfer-- thats all I need to see to at least give this guy a chance.  wooohooo  3 potential starters... gotta love it

I'm glad you're excited, and I certainly will give the kid a chance. I'll support all these guys until they give me a reason not to. 

But if Allen pans out and becomes a franchise QB, he will be the first QB in all modern NFL History to do so after a college career such as his. And the odds of the Bills patiently developing a guy as raw and unproven as him, coupled with being able to be the first team successful in turning a guy like that into gold seem worse than winning the Powerball.

Not once do I remember a QB being drafted whose hype was all around arm strength, hand size, height, weight, athleticism, etc. and not around on-field play, accuracy, decision making, ability to read a defense, wins against good competition, stats, football IQ, etc. turning out well. The "project" QB without a single veteran QB on the roster to learn from and sit behind also doesn't bode well.

Edited by BigDingus

12 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I mean Allen alone shows they screwed up royally, but letting go of two 2nd round picks to get him? Wow....I'm still in shock.

Just read what Rodger Sherman said about the selection. That's pretty much exactly how I feel - https://goo.gl/YMBvx4

"I would consider any team that used a first-round pick on Josh Allen to be the biggest loser of the first round. No good NFL quarterback has ever had statistics as bad as Allen's college stats; his best-case statistical comparables include Brian Griese and Josh McCown.

There are just so many videos of him missing easy passes so badly. Sure, his arm is strong enough that teams should value his potential, but "extremely strong quarterback who may never learn how to throw to receivers" seems to me like a Day 3 pick, not a first-rounder. I remain baffled that he was treated like a top prospect throughout the entire draft process.

But the Bills didn't just draft Allen. They traded up to get him, giving up two second-round picks to move up five spots. That's a massive overpay on any draft value chart. And then the Bills also traded a third-rounder to the Ravens to move up from the 22nd pick to the 16th to select Tremaine Edmunds.

Trading up is the move of a team in win-now mode. The Bills did so--but they selected a quarterback whose supporters even consider him a project. That doesn't jibe. I'm so happy that the Bills got to the playoffs last year, and so confused about their future."

Read that as well and felt the same way...I really wanted Mayfield but when it was down to Rosen or Allen I prayed they didnt waste everything for Allen but **** happens just hope he is worth it because I honestly think it was a huge mistake

N 100% correct we passed on projects last year to gain draft capital then pissed it all away to draft a historically untrainable prospect n i hate that so many fans are just happy we drafted a QB so high when they dont understand the actual skills or stats this kid has coming iuy of college just because some scouts love him and mike mayock wants to have his children doesn't mean he is good...the only thing i believe that sets Allen apart from previous prospects with such bad stats is that he hasnt played football his whole life he only started playing i believe his senior or junior year of high school so all we can do is hope but how far has that got us in the past?

He wasn't even 1st team or 2nd team All-Mountain West Conference player.... yet he's suddenly going to kick it up to the next level against MUCH more difficult competition? He was 0-3 against Power 5 conference teams, and threw for 1 TD and 8 INT's against them. 

Even against non-Power 5 teams, and the benefit of colleges picking and choosing their opponents (usually lining up some Division 2 schools and easy wins to pad their record), Allen was not impressive ON THE FIELD where it actually mattered.

In college, QB's can have outrageous stats if they're even half way decent, chunking the ball downfield left & right. Allen somehow managed to have worse numbers than Tyrod Taylor in College in the Mountain West, averaging 164 yards a game last year, with only 3 total games of throwing for more than 1 TD (he threw for 2, 3 and 4 once each). He had just as many games throwing for 0 TD's.

And what other QB has ever had a 56% average completion rating (along with all the other poor stats) in college and managed to somehow get it up to the 62%+ needed in the NFL to actually be respectable? No matter what can be said about him, the Bills gambled and took the absolute riskiest "top" QB in the entire draft, and they don't have history behind them to believe they'll turn him into a franchise guy.

**Edit** And the excuse "well maybe the talent around him wasn't good enough!" because that doesn't work either. The opponents he played for the large majority of his games had the same level talent to work with. Plenty of QB's from smaller schools, even those in Power 5 Conferences that don't put much into football, have come out of college having fantastic on-field play to backup their "potential." 

Edited by BigDingus

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

He wasn't even 1st team or 2nd team All-Mountain West Conference player.... yet he's suddenly going to kick it up to the next level against MUCH more difficult competition? He was 0-3 against Power 5 conference teams, and threw for 1 TD and 8 INT's against them. 

Even against non-Power 5 teams, and the benefit of colleges picking and choosing their opponents (usually lining up some Division 2 schools and easy wins to pad their record), Allen was not impressive ON THE FIELD where it actually mattered.

In college, QB's can have outrageous stats if they're even half way decent, chunking the ball downfield left & right. Allen somehow managed to have worse numbers than Tyrod Taylor in College in the Mountain West, averaging 164 yards a game last year, with only 3 total games of throwing for more than 1 TD (he threw for 2, 3 and 4 once each). He had just as many games throwing for 0 TD's.

And what other QB has ever had a 56% average completion rating (along with all the other poor stats) in college and managed to somehow get it up to the 62%+ needed in the NFL to actually be respectable? No matter what can be said about him, the Bills gambled and took the absolute riskiest "top" QB in the entire draft, and they don't have history behind them to believe they'll turn him into a franchise guy.

Lol i know he was an honorable mention ??? and just became a top 10 pick

This is funny as most Bills fans wanted this FO to trade the farm for Josh Rosen at the #2 pick. That was two #1s, two #2s, two #3s AND probably next years first round pick. So Beane told them to shove it.

The Bills somehow managed to get their franchise QB of the future and a stud at ILBer in the first round and some fans are bleating like stuck baby sheep.  Two blue-chip players and fans are crying. 

Instead, they should be crapping glitter and cheering what this FO has done so far. 

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

This is funny as most Bills fans wanted this FO to trade the farm for Josh Rosen at the #2 pick. That was two #1s, two #2s, two #3s AND probably next years first round pick. So Beane told them to shove it.

The Bills somehow managed to get their franchise QB of the future and a stud at ILBer in the first round and some fans are bleating like stuck baby sheep.  Two blue-chip players and fans are crying. 

Instead, they should be crapping glitter and cheering what this FO has done so far. 

I didn't want them to trade anything and they didn't have to and still could have got Rosen or Allen at 12 

3 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

We gave away an opportunity to build a deep solid roster and to give away so much for a QB who I believe was the 7th or 8th rated QB in this draft was a huge mistake. The trade up for Edmunds would have been a great move if we didnt already give away both 2nds for Allen. I would have preferred us to stay put and still would have probably been able to get Allen but I'd rather have had Rosen. Hands down the best passer in this draft. But i would have wanted us to use all the picks to build a savage squad and gave away the farm next year for a QB and gave mccarron a chance to prove himself n just to build a team that was a QB away from greatness. I hope Allen develops into a Super Bowl QB but if he doesnt this draft will go down as a huge franchise failure and will set us back for years compared to what we could have done with the arsenal of picks we had

Clown post Bro.

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

And the Bills had a deal set up with the Broncos to go up to 5 so who knows what that would have costed...almost every scout is saying Josh Allen will need to sit atleast 2 years before he can start do you think a top ten pick is worth a 2 year wait n worth giving up 2 2nd round picks when we couldhave just drafted Watson last year n not even got all this draft capital to waste to begin with and had a proven player 

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I didn't want them to trade anything and they didn't have to and still could have got Rosen or Allen at 12 

People like you keep saying this without a inkling whether it is true or not

A lot of us were Rosen guys.....but you have to give credit to a front office that goes and aggressively gets THEIR guy without hamstringing themselves

So far they are up to 3 very possible starters

1 minute ago, Rebel101 said:

And the Bills had a deal set up with the Broncos to go up to 5 so who knows what that would have costed...almost every scout is saying Josh Allen will need to sit atleast 2 years before he can start do you think a top ten pick is worth a 2 year wait n worth giving up 2 2nd round picks when we couldhave just drafted Watson last year n not even got all this draft capital to waste to begin with and had a proven player 

We arent looking for a proven player....we are looking for a franchise player....and sometimes those guys need time

So tell me why it was a great pick at 7 for Josh Allen...give me 1 stat 1 piece of info that shows me he is worth it

Stat....because everyone considered him a top 10 pick

Info...because Beane also thought so

And that is all that matters

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

you dont know that....cardinals showed after we picked allen they had to move up..also baltimore moved back in to get lamar maybe they would have wanted rosen or allen as well.  If we sit at 12...then maybe we get leap frogged by both and miami still sitting at 11, they could have taken rosen if cards moved up and took allen and we just sat there.  So beane said there was 1 QB they liked and it was him.  In stead of every bill fan complaining we never get a QB lets enjoy the fact the bills made a move to get a QB let it play out for 2-3 years then you can come back and say told you so.  Until then shut the hell up to all the nay sayers.  1st 3 rounds we have 3 picks.  Allen, Edmunds, Phillips.  Any other draft thats pretty solid.  

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

People like you keep saying this without a inkling whether it is true or not

A lot of us were Rosen guys.....but you have to give credit to a front office that goes and aggressively gets THEIR guy without hamstringing themselves

So far they are up to 3 very possible starters

I love the other 2 picks but i dont give it to the front office Rosen got taken at 10 and the dolphins werent taken a QB so either Rosen or Allen would have been at 12 so no i didnt give it to anyone who doesnt play it as smart as they could n i love McDermott as a coach but this was a sloppy handle of picks

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We arent looking for a proven player....we are looking for a franchise player....and sometimes those guys need time

Stat....because everyone considered him a top 10 pick

Info...because Beane also thought so

And that is all that matters

Hahaha once upon a time everyone thought the world was flat...you are a someone who is easily manipulated and believes everything you are told you arent worth my time....

3 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I love the other 2 picks but i dont give it to the front office Rosen got taken at 10 and the dolphins werent taken a QB so either Rosen or Allen would have been at 12 so no i didnt give it to anyone who doesnt play it as smart as they could n i love McDermott as a coach but this was a sloppy handle of picks

Unreal

As if you were actually in other teams NFL war rooms

Ill trust Beane whos ass is on the line with the pick

by the way you have been paroting the same line since your OP post so nobody is gonna change your mind......think what you want.

Edited by John from Riverside

29 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

**Edit** And the excuse "well maybe the talent around him wasn't good enough!" because that doesn't work either. The opponents he played for the large majority of his games had the same level talent to work with. Plenty of QB's from smaller schools, even those in Power 5 Conferences that don't put much into football, have come out of college having fantastic on-field play to backup their "potential." 

Wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre

3 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

you dont know that....cardinals showed after we picked allen they had to move up..also baltimore moved back in to get lamar maybe they would have wanted rosen or allen as well.  If we sit at 12...then maybe we get leap frogged by both and miami still sitting at 11, they could have taken rosen if cards moved up and took allen and we just sat there.  So beane said there was 1 QB they liked and it was him.  In stead of every bill fan complaining we never get a QB lets enjoy the fact the bills made a move to get a QB let it play out for 2-3 years then you can come back and say told you so.  Until then shut the hell up to all the nay sayers.  1st 3 rounds we have 3 picks.  Allen, Edmunds, Phillips.  Any other draft thats pretty solid.  

So if the cardinals wanted someone so bad and they moved up to lets say 8 or 9 and grabbed allen or rosen then we couldn't move up and grab the next guy? I hope he works out n i hope i am wrong but it could have been played smarter n if you dont like my opinion its my thread dumb ass so why dont you put something in your mouth and stay quiet

3 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

It's a clown post cause until he plays we won't know.

Right so hit me in 3 years after i impregnate your girl and make you take care of the baby n we can bond about how josh allen sucks

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

What is wrong about that?

Just now, Rebel101 said:

I realize you are a newcomer to this board. So, I'll take it easy and explain the best I can.

The Bills were probably working the phones hard in an attempt to trade to up after Darnold went #3 to the Jets. From what I see no team wanted to trade with them except Tampa and the Bills needed to trade away two second round picks in order to make that deal. This tells me that they were probably fighting with other teams to grab that #7 spot. who knows how many?

Then when the Cardinals traded up for Josh Rosen they didn't need to expend much so this tells me no other teams were even interested in trading up for Rosen at that point. Miami was probably hoping he might drop to them at the 11 spot. But they didn't feel that strongly about it or they would have attempted to move up too.

Josh Rosen dropped quite a bit due to his injury concerns and he went to a team that also signed another injury prone QB in Sam Bradford. Speaking of Bradford, 9 years in the NFL and made over 110 million dollars. out of 144 games the guy has only played in 80 and his record is 35-45-1.

Rosen is very similar to Bradford in that he is a very slick QB when healthy and Sams problem is he can't stay healthy. 

Bottom line is that neither of those two QB's would have been there at the #12 spot and Buffalo would have a handful of air. Instead, they have two blue-chip players that they needed!! 

5 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

So if the cardinals wanted someone so bad and they moved up to lets say 8 or 9 and grabbed allen or rosen then we couldn't move up and grab the next guy? I hope he works out n i hope i am wrong but it could have been played smarter n if you dont like my opinion its my thread dumb ass so why dont you put something in your mouth and stay quiet

Right so hit me in 3 years after i impregnate your girl and make you take care of the baby n we can bond about how josh allen sucks

What is wrong about that?

take-it-easy-champ-why-dont-you-sit-this-next-one-out-stop-talking-for-a-while.jpg.f52acb2a5dbf18fe426011c716d2cd4d.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Almost every scout, really? Stop making stuff up! Show me a link that states that anyone, anywhere stated it will take two years of development for Allen.

I also think its probably the smartest thing this team can do is to sit their future franchise QB for a year to build a solid offensive line for him. 

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I realize you are a newcomer to this board. So, I'll take it easy and explain the best I can.

The Bills were probably working the phones hard in an attempt to trade to up after Darnold went #3 to the Jets. From what I see no team wanted to trade with them except Tampa and the Bills needed to trade away two second round picks in order to make that deal. This tells me that they were probably fighting with other teams to grab that #7 spot. who knows how many?

Then when the Cardinals traded up for Josh Rosen they didn't need to expend much so this tells me no other teams were even interested in trading up for Rosen at that point. Miami was probably hoping he might drop to them at the 11 spot. But they didn't feel that strongly about it or they would have attempted to move up too.

Josh Rosen dropped quite a bit due to his injury concerns and he went to a team that also signed another injury prone QB in Sam Bradford. Speaking of Bradford, 9 years in the NFL and made over 110 million dollars. out of 144 games the guy has only played in 80 and his record is 35-45-1.

Rosen is very similar to Bradford in that he is a very slick QB when healthy and Sams problem is he can't stay healthy. 

Bottom line is that neither of those two QB's would have been there at the #12 spot and Buffalo would have a handful of air. Instead, they have two blue-chip players that they needed!! 

Understand 100% but why not sit and wait for the Cardinals to trade up and spend it all because we have more value so the cardinals arent going to want to spend what it takes to move that high n the dolphins werent taken a QB tanehill can produce with a team around him thatlocker room has been a mess their coach loves tannehill he isnt going anywhere this year if anything and the cards moved to 7 or 8 we could have savedsome value if they didnt move until 10 id havr taken the chance at 12

Understand 100% but why not sit and wait for the Cardinals to trade up and spend it all because we have more value so the cardinals arent going to want to spend what it takes to move that high n the dolphins werent taken a QB tanehill can produce with a team around him thatlocker room has been a mess their coach loves tannehill he isnt going anywhere this year if anything and the cards moved to 7 or 8 we could have savedsome value if they didnt move until 10 id havr taken the chance at 12

God you are so missing the point

Yes we MIGHT have been able to play the waiting game with Rosen (I seriously doubt it but like You I also was not in the war room)

but

THEY DID NOT WANT HIM

Josh Allen was their guy...they didnt want to wait to see who was left over...they wanted Josh Allen.  Right or wrong that was their guy.

4 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Jeez, slow down. take a breath and think of what you are saying before typing.

Obviously, Buffalo wanted Josh Allen all along and worked the phones hard to get him. If you listened to their PC on the draft they stated Allen is a perfect fit in Buffalo as the guy is a big, strong player from Wyoming who has played in the wind, snow, and cold. 

It was in Rotoworld news that the Miami Dolphins had told Tannehill that if they drafted a QB in the first round this year he would still be the starter. So if either Allen or Rosen were there at the 10 spot Miami would have drafted one of them. 

Edited by Nihilarian

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Welcome to the board!

So are you guys both Wyoming fans following Josh here, or what?

1955 is hard to beat!! :mellow: I’m definitely not in the same genre as @The Virginian. He remembers the good ol’ days when Wyoming was in contention for national championships. 

But I’m also an alumni of UW and a die-hard Pokes fan. Really loved Eddie when he played in Wyoming and Josh is also one of my personal favorites. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Almost every scout, really? Stop making stuff up! Show me a link that states that anyone, anywhere stated it will take two years of development for Allen.

I also think its probably the smartest thing this team can do is to sit their future franchise QB for a year to build a solid offensive line for him. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.diehards.com/national/film-room-josh-allen-good-bad-ugly-mysterious-nfl-draft-prospect/amp

1 hour ago, The Virginian said:

Yes, a couple members of PokeNation.  I can't speak for Laradise, but I'm a UW alumnus and was raised in Wyoming.  I live in Virginia now, but I've been all in for the Cowboys since a young kid.  I went to my first Wyoming home game in 1955 at 18 months old.

2 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

1955 is hard to beat!! :mellow: I’m definitely not in the same genre as @The Virginian. He remembers the good ol’ days when Wyoming was in contention for national championships. 

But I’m also an alumni of UW and a die-hard Pokes fan. Really loved Eddie when he played in Wyoming and Josh is also one of my personal favorites. 

Right on. Well, I hope you are both here for many years, cheering on the successful career of our new QB! :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

woulda coulda shoulda...easy to say that now but i guess your 9-5 job makes you the GM of the year.  Yes it sounds all good in theory and that prolly would have been ideal situation sit and wait and let allen or rosen fall but why take that risk and then you have the chance to miss out on your QB when u do that...ala big ben..we didnt move up to get him and he went few picks before us.  If we sat pat and 4 qbs gone before we pick at 12...bills mafia would have strung beane up and then you would have been the one why didnt we give up our 2 seconds to move up.  So just be happy for the bills for once instead of always playing armchair GM

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

God you are so missing the point

Yes we MIGHT have been able to play the waiting game with Rosen (I seriously doubt it but like You I also was not in the war room)

but

THEY DID NOT WANT HIM

Josh Allen was their guy...they didnt want to wait to see who was left over...they wanted Josh Allen.  Right or wrong that was their guy.

I understand that but it is still my opinion to say they should have waited n that he wasnt worth it i know i wasnt there i know thats who they wanted n in my opinion it was a mistake i dont think you are getting it i never said they would ever do that we are just men talking n thats my opinion yours is they did what they had to do and you understand mine is i dont like it...do you get it?

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Jeez, slow down. take a breath and think of what you are saying before typing.

Obviously, Buffalo wanted Josh Allen all along and worked the phones hard to get him. If you listened to their PC on the draft they stated Allen is a perfect fit in Buffalo as the guy is a big, strong player from Wyoming who has played in the wind, snow, and cold. 

It was in Rotoworld news that the Miami Dolphins had told Tannehill that if they drafted a QB in the first round this year he would still be the starter. So if either Allen or Rosen were there at the 10 spot Miami would have drafted one of them. 

I do understand that they wanted Allen in my opinion which is what a post is i thought until you came along and told me.i wasnt allowed to have one was that it was a mistake and i think we could have used our picks more wisely 

1 minute ago, bkep32 said:

didnt aaron rodgers sit for you 2 years. he was 1st round qb,

Yes he was and he did go look at Aaron Rodgers college stats and his scouting report and then compare them to Allen's and come back n we will talk 

5 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I do understand that they wanted Allen in my opinion which is what a post is i thought until you came along and told me.i wasnt allowed to have one was that it was a mistake and i think we could have used our picks more wisely 

Are you drunk or stoned? Return when you sober up and can structure a sentence so others can understand it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

woulda coulda shoulda...easy to say that now but i guess your 9-5 job makes you the GM of the year.  Yes it sounds all good in theory and that prolly would have been ideal situation sit and wait and let allen or rosen fall but why take that risk and then you have the chance to miss out on your QB when u do that...ala big ben..we didnt move up to get him and he went few picks before us.  If we sat pat and 4 qbs gone before we pick at 12...bills mafia would have strung beane up and then you would have been the one why didnt we give up our 2 seconds to move up.  So just be happy for the bills for once instead of always playing armchair GM

Not at all they did what they thought was best i believe it was a mistake which im allowed to think and i would have been happy if we came out the first round without a project QB and all our picks other people would have been furious but we've been here before when the fan base wanteda QB so bad a we got JP Losman and EJ manuel so to give it all up for Josh Allen the biggest boom or bust of this draft isn't something i felt comfortable with