RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

Guys, please don't compare this year QB pick to EJ as that poor guy never stood a chance to develop in Buffalo.

Morrone was a sublime idiot as a first-time head coach in not hiring a veteran QB coach and the team went into that season with not only not having a QB coach they also had no veteran QB on the roster with three rookie QBs. On top of that, the team's offensive coordinator (Nathanial Hackett) had never been an NFL OC previously and his extent of NFL offenses was he was a quality control guy for a bit.

Think about that for a minute. Exactly how was a rookie QB supposed to develop into an NFL starting QB with absolutely nobody to teach him. That was beyond ridiculously moronic.  EJ stated he learned far more about being an NFL QB from watching Kyle Orton prepare for games. Orton was there in EJ's second year in Buffalo. That statement speaks volumes about the lack of teaching the team did with him.

Marrone wanted an already NFL knowledgable QB and clearly wanted no part in developing EJ in any way, shape or form. 

Not to mention that the offensive line was a complete mess! Yes, they had Glenn and Woods but the rest were bums in Doug Legursky, Urbik, and Pears. In EJ's second year, Pears was moved to RG and Henderson RT

I hope to god that Beane and McD do things very differently with their rookie QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Yeah, and Rosen had to do an interview tour specifically to dispel "questions about his character", so his big mouth has already been a problem. 

It's all in my imagination, though.

I don't really care if you want to crusade against Allen. We shall see, huh?

So still conjecture and no proof. Got it. 

And allen has had to answer questions proving he isnt a racist homophobe. Wow (AND NO I DONT CARE ABOUT HIS TWEETs)

but he is the Bills QB. So gets 20-26 starts to prove what i think about him wrong

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Josh Allen is an amazing talent.  We are more than lucky to have him.  Off the chart physical skills, smart, hard worker, great teammate, unlimited ceiling.  We are very lucky to get him at 7.  

His talents just don't match the things that generally translate successfully in the NFL. 

15 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Drafting Allen is the easier part.  Surrounding this guy with proper coaching and an offensive team suitable for winning is the hard part.  Beane has a lot of work to do.  We've got the rest of this draft, next years draft and significant cap next year to accomplish it.  Good decisions from here are just as important as drafting the QB.  

Amen, brother!

and if they screw that part up in surrounding the kid with the proper talent they wasted the player and the pick. 

What is sticking to me in my head is something a HoF QB named Troy Aikman said tonight..  You cant teach accuracy. 

IDK what to say.. Do I disagree? nope..

does that mean he doesn't get with the speed of NFL and throws INT's all game long? nope..

Does this mean he could come out and be just fine? Yep.

The pick scares me. But for now.. I trust the process

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So still conjecture and no proof. Got it. 

And allen has had to answer questions proving he isnt a racist homophobe. Wow (AND NO I DONT CARE ABOUT HIS TWEETs)

but he is the Bills QB. So gets 20-26 starts to prove what i think about him wrong

I'm pretty confident he will prove too be a pain in the ass to the Cardinals and the league.

Carry on, MajDche. See you later in the season!

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His talents just don't match the things that generally translate successfully in the NFL. 

Such as???? Statement as such means zero without any specifics.

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

What is sticking to me in my head is something a HoF QB named Troy Aikman said tonight..  You cant teach accuracy. 

does that mean he doesn't get with the speed of NFL and throws INT's all game long? nope..

Generally you cannot. However with Allen talking about his accuracy falls off when his base is messed up (that can be taught). If it is truly a base problem that getting fixed will improve accuracy. 

Now that he has said he did self scouting and calls out his base i will have to go to the games i watched and see how is base it when he is off tgt. Maybe that will make me feel a bit better about the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can't express how happy I am Josh Allen is our guy, I kept it hidden because I knew it was a potential shitstorm to not gush over Rosen like 99% of fans here seemed to think. 

His arm is !@#$ing awesome, he is going to win a lot of people over from that alone. It wouldn't surprise me if Beane released those tweets to intentionally drop Allen down to us. Fans are going to go nuts when they him play, once again I question how much fans have actually seen of Allen, I am so !@#$ing excited.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I can't express how happy I am Josh Allen is our guy, I kept it hidden because I knew it was a potential shitstorm to not gush over Rosen like 99% of fans here seemed to think. 

His arm is !@#$ing awesome, he is going to win a lot of people over from that alone. It wouldn't surprise me if Beane released those tweets to intentionally drop Allen down to us. Fans are going to go nuts when they him play, once again I question how much fans have actually seen of Allen, I am so !@#$ing excited.

Could give two craps about his arm if it isnt close to a WR tgt because he has horrible accuracy

10 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Granted, it's all conjecture. A guy on WGR just said Josh Allen's ceiling is a more athletic Joe Flacco and if he hits that we should all he happy.

My Lord. I hope that isn't what the FO saw in him. I need better than that.

I'm so tired of ceilings and floors....this rhetoric is so stupid and cliche....nobody can predict anything!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I did some research on the accuracy issue with Allen and it was mostly because he wasn't setting his feet properly. He knows his footwork was a mess last season and he has been diligently working on that since the end of college. He has improved since then and it showed in the senior bowl, the combine and at his pro day. 

Another thing Bills fans need to understand is he only played TWO seasons at Wyoming so there is room/time for him to further develop his accuracy. I think what Aikman was referring to is players like Kyle Boller who never really improved that much in the NFL.

There is also a huge difference between Boller and Allen. Boller played four years at Cal and his Comp percentage was 38.6, second year, 46.7, third-year 49.3 and his senior year 53.4. Allen was only a two year player at Wyoming and his first year his completion percentage was 56.0 and his senior year was 56.3 which really isn't that far from 60%,

Anyway, there were real reasons as to why his Comp % didn't go up and one is that every football player at Wyoming that touched the ball in 2016 besides Allen was gone for the 2017 season. So, the kid was forced to deal with a team filled with noobs, on the O line, the receiver corps and they did drop a lot of balls. Not to mention they were all learning how to run routes. So, when he wasn't running for his life he was making plays with his arm. 

Another thing is that Josh Allen played in a pro-style offense that wasn't QB friendly as he was throwing deep outs vs the screens and short passes that Rosen and Mayfield threw to make their stats look so much better.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

Wanted Rosen, but what's done is done

Allen wears my favorite number and has as much upside as any QB in this draft.  IF these coaches are as good as they think they are, the Bills are in excellent shape.

Kudos Chicken Boo.  Mature and intelligent take.  I wanted Allen, but I would have had the same reaction as you - Rosen has upside too and I would have been 100% in.  Our guy is Allen so now we need to close ranks and quit the whining and carping.  Kid is a worker and competitor - let's see what he does.  Love that AJ is here to mentor him.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Granted, it's all conjecture. A guy on WGR just said Josh Allen's ceiling is a more athletic Joe Flacco and if he hits that we should all he happy.

My Lord. I hope that isn't what the FO saw in him. I need better than that.

Whoa a guy on WGR said that?  Well s**t, that changes everything!

Edited by metzelaars_lives