Rate our 1st round...

The argument can be made Buffalo got the #1 Qb and #1 Lb  A++.  Reguardless of your personal opionions they both are genetic freaks and both have played football for only a handfull of years.  If someone told me Buffalo would get Allen and Edmunds I would say you are drunk.

Solid B for me

Edmunds was a home run and a guy that they had no business getting. He should have been gone. They made a good aggressive move and snapped up a stud.

Allen wasn’t my guy. It would be at an A or A+ with Rosen. Allen is a high ceiling low floor guy.  I thought that the Bills did well with the compensation (which allowed them to steal Edmunds). If (big if) Allen pans out this draft is an A++++++. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

17 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I'd give it an A-.  We got our QB and a stud LB who was way underdrafted (most mocks had him top 10).  Only issue i have is we gave up too much to get Allen.  Both of 2nd round picks to move up 5 spots to 7 is a lot IMO.

It should have cost us 22 and if it had there goes getting Edmunds. Then you can 2nd rate linebackers in the second round. I could have done without Allen, OK with McCarron and would have been happy with Lauletta or Rudolph. 60% of Bills fans wanted Buffalo to move up, the only choice was 7th and that was the cost. I would have taken Edmunds at 12 and 22 would have took Rudolph. Kept all our picks!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

A for Allen

A+ for Edmunds

That is my assessment based on the potential I see. While Allen wasn't my first choice either, I am not unhappy - and, IMHO, he still was a legitimate first round talent in this draft class.

First off, no spoilers but I have never seen anything like Infinity War.:w00t:

Catching up with the draft now on DVR, I’m disappointed that Rosen wasn’t picked, but I really don’t care what he does in Arizona. Welcome JAllen!  Edmunds, wow! No LVE, love it!

Edited by Rico
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Really won't know until December.  It's really funny to see all the wailing and crying in here tonight from TSW "experts."  It's all a crapshoot (draft picks) anyways. Going back in draft history, How many first round picks (for all teams) have turned out to be Duds?  The answer is many.

Really we won't know for about 3 years if we are being honest.

I deeply hate the Allen pick, but hey, I've been wrong before. I dunno though. I feel like he's another Jake Locker. I heard a lot of the same arguments about Locker back then that I heard about Allen this year. I didn't buy it with Locker either. But again, hopefully I'm wrong. 

I'm fairly excited about Edmunds. Only reservation I have is that maybe we'd have been better off staying at 2 and taking Evans (or maybe Van Der Esch, if Dallas takes Edmunds), and still having #65. Especially since we could've traded #65 for Martavis Bryant. Not too worried about it though - Edmunds looks like a potential stud. And I have a lot more confidence in our coaching staff's ability to scout and develop a MLB than a QB, so I'll totally give them the benefit of the doubt on this front. 

F+

I tried to brace myself for the Bills picking Allen over Rosen but it still stung.  What's worse is that Beane thought Allen was at least  3 day 2 picks better than Rosen, which is the minimum of what Beane must have been offering when they started trying to trade up to pick 4 or 5.  This has me questioning Beane as a GM if he's willing to spend that much draft capital just to not run the risk of winding up with Rosen over Allen.  

We also ended up drafting the player that virtually everyone had mocked to the Bills.  The player we have been hearing rumors about for weeks being the Bills trade up target at 5, 6, or 7.  The fact that this is EXACTLY what happened has me wondering how/why the front office made their plans so public.  They seem worse at keeping things private and in-house than Rex/Whaley. The way the draft fell, if everyone didn't know how badly the Bills wanted Allen he likely would have dropped right to the Bills at 12.  Allen at 12 would still have not been my first choice, but it would have been better than Allen at 7. 

AND we overpaid on the trade up by a Mile.  It cost us 2 2nds to move up from 12 to 7, but only cost the Cardinals a 3rd and a 5th to move up from 15 to 10 for Rosen. 

AND we have a project QB again.  So if Allen's size doesn't suddenly make him accurate or able to read defenses at the next level and he becomes the next Bills QB to bust, we will likely miss on additional franchise QBs in 2019 and 2020 while we are waiting to see what we have in Allen.  

It's nice that we came away from the 1st round with a LB addressing a position of need (hence the + in F+), but the fact that we traded the pick we got for TT to move up and get a LB at 16 when he or someone similarly talented were probably going to be there at 22 makes that less exciting too.  Beane first seems too willing to give away top tier established talent for draft picks, and then is too willing to give away those draft picks away on draft day.  (The same way he's willing to get rid of players like Glenn/Watkins/Dareus for cap reasons but then is ok paying above market prices for players like Star & Chris Ivory.)  Trading up for a LB (a position that is arguably the easiest position to find in Free Agency, where we just let the leading tackler in the NFL go to a division rival on a 1 yr $4mil contract) makes me think Beane isn't any better than Whaley at valuing/assembling a roster.

I thought Beane was going to be the anti-Whaley.  (I was unsure of his ability to evaluate talent but was expecting him to be excellent at valuing/assembling a roster)  At the moment it looks like Beane is just as bad as Whaley at assembling a roster, only without Whaley's eye for evaluating talent.  

We blew up this roster in exchange for this draft (the picks used to draft Allen alone cost us Sammy Watkins (a #1 WR), Cordy Glenn (a franchise LT), an additional 2nd and the possibility to draft Watson/Mahomes last year. )  And all we got for our 5 picks in the top 65 was Josh Allen and a linebacker. 

In two years, on paper we've gone from a playoff caliber roster to a roster that on paper looks like one of the worst few teams in the NFL.  I have no faith in our new QB (though will wait with the rest of you for the next few years hoping I'm wrong) and I have no faith in our new GM.  This was by far my least favorite Bills draft ever in my 25 years following this team.  (A distinction previously held by the draft in 2004, which is the only other draft I can ever remember being upset when it was over)

Edited by Adam727
  • Like (+1) 1

We got a shoe store!  B

We had Rosen or Allen and given Rosen's injury history against Allen's upside it's a tough call.  Only time will tell.  Maybe we could have just sat at 12 and gotten one of them, but I think they would have both been gone by then so the move was necessary.

Edited by Murdox