Beane & McDermott Address the Buffalo Media after Round 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Kinda funny to think they needed to pass on Watson last year so they could get ammo to trade up for Josh Allen. I guess it's just a different level beyond my comprehension.

They think they’re smarter than everyone else.

The results suggest otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Kinda funny to think they needed to pass on Watson last year so they could get ammo to trade up for Josh Allen. I guess it's just a different level beyond my comprehension.

Right now, it's honestly nauseating 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Disinterested Observer said:

The first round is not even over yet and the sky is already falling. The negativity is overwhelming.

Just on this board

42 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

You're not seeing the parallels - they got rid of their decent, but not long-term starting QB (Fitz/Taylor) and then felt desperate to get their unproven, project QB.  In both instances the decision could have been more measured and prudent without overreaching or giving up a lot of draft capital on a QB that is far from a sure thing, and has one of the biggest red flags that QBs can have - accuracy issues (both EJ and Allen were rated very low in that respect). 

If you want to argue about differences, you could make the case that Manuel had already hit his ceiling in college - he was who he was by the time his senior year came around.  Allen seems to have a little more room to grow playing with more talent around him (but maybe not in front of him - the OL isn't looking too good right now).  I hope that I am humbled and wrong - I want the guy to succeed now that he is a Bill, but I'm pretty confident that the Bills didn't get the best QB available to them in the past two drafts and that is how you've got to assess this draft - they moved back last year and gave up opportunities to move up this year - will Allen be better than Watson, Mahomes, Rosen and Jackson - that should be how this should be judged.

i'm just really happy the Browns spurned the Bills for the 4th pick. The price must have been insane and it was definitely the same player. I would have had to go to the hospital.

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

I just wish they weren't so tone deaf.

Bills fans don't want to hear "he has a big arm! He's athletic! Snow and rain!".

We want to hear that the front office believes he can be the best quarterback in the league. That he can lead the team to championships. 

I really hope someone in the media is a little tough on them at some point in the near future, and asks them something like "other than being a nice kid from a farm and having a big arm, what do you actually see in him that makes you think he'll be successful?". But, ya know...journalism is horrific these days, so I won't hold my breath.

The Eagles used the exact same descriptions for Wentz:  great size, athletic, big arm. 

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen is the classic old school pick based on physical traits and potential.  These football idiots just can't help themselves when they run into a guy this tall, big, strong, and with such a strong arm.  

A more intelligent statistical analysis would steer you clear of Allen.

I agree with your comments on the weather/cold and how irrelevant all that is.

The NFL is like 30 years behind the curve on....everything.

Worked just fine for the idiots in Philly last yr. 

Edited by bobobonators

4 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

The Eagles used the exact same descriptions for Wentz:  great size, athletic, big arm. 

Just stop it.  Wentz lit up his conference in college and that translated for him in the league.  Allen has lit up NOTHING.  NOTHING.  He struggled against guys that are going to be doing what you and I are doing, namely, watching football from the couch.  That's why people are so concerned with the pick.

• Like (+1) 3

For those of you who believe that Beane primarily chose Allen because he is used to playing in the snow and bad weather, you are a bunch of idiots.  They aren't going to put this much thought process because he has experience and the tools to play in this sort of weather.  They chose him because they thought he was the best QB overall that was available for them.  They clearly had Allen as either their #2 or #3 guy, they targeted him.  They chose him above Rosen.    Whether he turns out to be better or not is a whole another question but the fact is they thought he was the best guy for them.   The weather is just a bunch of histrionics you little turds are using to justify your anger.  

2 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Anyone got the odds on that one?  I'm going with break - all in.  Actually I'd even say it will be this draft in general, because this was the restock the cupboard draft after jettisoning lots of pretty talented players.  Sure you needed to get a QB, but giving away even more assets to move up again?  Come on man.  That's blowing your load before you even get started.

Ok. Ive heard enough of your whining. Explain how we would stocked the cupboard if we took Rosen at the same spot ? They had Edmunds high on their board and went and got him before someone else did. You don't know Jack or shyt about how Allen will do yet or Rosen for that matter. Your opinion and your entitled to it but listen to yourself.

50 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how fans and media know that accuracy is something that can never improve (therefore a qb who had poor accuracy in college will never succeed in the NFL) yet Allen was still considered In the top tier of the draft this year and at times discussed as the #1 overall pick by the professional front office personal of real NFL teams...

Cool point, you're totally the first one to say this.

9 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Just stop it.  Wentz lit up his conference in college and that translated for him in the league.  Allen has lit up NOTHING.  NOTHING.  He struggled against guys that are going to be doing what you and I are doing, namely, watching football from the couch.  That's why people are so concerned with the pick.

College:

Allen 5066yds 44td 21int

Wentz  5115yds 45td 14int

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

For those of you who believe that Beane primarily chose Allen because he is used to playing in the snow and bad weather, you are a bunch of idiots.  They aren't going to put this much thought process because he has experience and the tools to play in this sort of weather.  They chose him because they thought he was the best QB overall that was available for them.  They clearly had Allen as either their #2 or #3 guy, they targeted him.  They chose him above Rosen.    Whether he turns out to be better or not is a whole another question but the fact is they thought he was the best guy for them.   The weather is just a bunch of histrionics you little turds are using to justify your anger.  

I think the "why" is the important part here. There are a lot of guys with huge arms pulling the night shift. What else can he do at an elite level?

25 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Wentz also completed 64.1% of his passes and had a 45-14 TD-INT ratio at North Dakota State, so....not exactly apples to apples!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Wentz also completed 64.1% of his passes and had a 45-14 TD-INT ratio at North Dakota State, so....not exactly apples to apples!

College:

Allen 5066yds 44td 21int

Wentz was also in school four years at ND State. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Disinterested Observer said:

The first round is not even over yet and the sky is already falling. The negativity is overwhelming.

Everyone I've heard (on TV and the radio) has praised what the Bills have done w/ these two picks. Buffalo fans...just need to be miserable for some reason. I don't get it. We got a QB, not the QB some people wanted...but a QB. There were four highly rated QB's, so odds of 75% being unhappy w/ the pick. 

People are now complaining about the lack of picks? People were demanding the Bills move up in the draft to get a QB. We did and what do you think happened? We lost picks. Duh! Could we have waited at 12 for Allen, possibly. Edmunds wouldn't have been at 22 though. He was projected to be a Top 10 pick by many. I'll stick w/ the Bills assessments. I'll stick w/ the experts reviews. I'll ignore the miserable individuals who it pains to crack a smile and be happy. We have a QB, let's attempt to support him. I'm all in! 

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

College:

Allen 5066yds 44td 21int

Wentz was also in school four years at ND State. 

That's a plus to wentz, not Allen.

1 minute ago, 707BillsFan said:

We have a QB, let's attempt to support him. I'm all in! 

And his name is AJ McCarron. Using your brain doesn't hurt as much as you might think.

Just now, bobobonators said:

College:

Allen 5066yds 44td 21int

College Wentz = Championships and WON games; never mind his last season he only played 7 games.

College Allen = No championships; struggled against Secondaries in his conference with no NFL talent, but it's his WR's fault.  Plus low completion percentage.

you can post all the numbers you want. I've watched the tape.  Timing and anticipation is not there with him.  With Wentz it was.  I'm not going to even get into all of this. It's been discussed repeatedly.  Allen is not the prospect that Wentz was and the comparisons really need to stop.   Now that we are stuck with Allen I'll hope for the best, but I do not feel good about selecting him at all.

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

College Wentz = Championships and WON games; never mind his last season he only played 7 games.

College Allen = No championships; struggled against Secondaries in his conference with no NFL talent, but it's his WR's fault.  Plus low completion percentage.

you can post all the numbers you want. I've watched the tape.  Timing and anticipation is not there with him.  With Wentz it was.  I'm not going to even get into all of this. It's been discussed repeatedly.  Allen is not the prospect that Wentz was and the comparisons really need to stop.   Now that we are stuck with Allen I'll hope for the best, but I do not feel good about selecting him at all.

Thats fine. But comparisons of Rosen to Aaron Rodgers are kosher. 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

And where else? When else?

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how fans and media know that accuracy is something that can never improve (therefore a qb who had poor accuracy in college will never succeed in the NFL) yet Allen was still considered In the top tier of the draft this year and at times discussed as the #1 overall pick by the professional front office personal of real NFL teams...

What evidence do you have to suggest it IS possible? History is against you. Even the greats like Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and Brady had career accuracy numbers within a couple points of their college careers. I really don't think you appreciate how bad 56% really is.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Brett Favre 52%

Wtf is the difference in 5% completion rate that doesn't take into account things like dropped passes???

I mean seriously 5% difference between Rosen and Allen at the collegiate level and it doesn't even account for all reasons (that is to say the 5% difference could be caused by lots of factors).

I'm not worried about a 5% completion differential nor do I think college stats translate into the NFL or every RGIII of the world would be a superstar and they are not.

Edited by BillsFan692

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Thats fine. But comparisons of Rosen to Aaron Rodgers are kosher. 

Rosen:  

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career UCLA         712 1170 60.9 9340 8.0 8.0 59 26 140.1
*2015 UCLA Pac-12 FR QB 13 292 487 60.0 3669 7.5 7.5 23 11 134.3
2016 UCLA Pac-12 SO QB 6 137 231 59.3 1915 8.3 8.2 10 5 138.9
*2017 UCLA Pac-12 JR QB 11 283 452 62.6 3756 8.3 8.5 26 10 147.0

Rogers:

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career California         424 665 63.8 5469 8.2 8.6 43 13 150.3
*2003 California Pac-10 SO QB 13 215 349 61.6 2903 8.3 8.8 19 5 146.6
*2004 California Pac-10 JR QB 12 209 316 66.1 2566 8.1 8.5 24 8 154.3

People are so upset about the Josh Allen pick like they know with certainty that he will fail, as if they have a time machine and have already seen his entire career play out.  This board is bordering on hysterics.

Kurt Warner didn’t even get drafted and he’s in the Hall.  Ryan Leaf #2 overall and was an epic fail.  Tom Brady, sixth rounder, GOAT.  Sam Bradford, #1 pick, highest paid player in NFL history, no rings, and at the end of the day a professional journeyman QB.

But we're all supposed to believe that Allen is going to fail and there is no doubt about it.  The pick is a disaster. He has no chance to be successful. Zero. Fit Josh Rosen for his gold jacket right now. Josh Allen will be selling life insurance in Tonawanda in five years.

I’d appreciate if one of you people here who can see the future so clearly on this NFL fan message board would send me a private message, I’ve got some money to invest and I want to retire early.

Of course, it makes you wonder why they even come to this message board or bothered watching the draft.  With their Nostrodamus like abilities they already knew we were going to pick Josh Allen tonight....

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Yeezus said:

we just traded away a "really good athlete" 

to draft a less accurate "really good athlete" 

Beane is the most overrated GM in Bills history. dude traded so much top young talent and we end up picking a racist hillbilly 

But he's white...

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Lmao. Reading all these negative posts. Are all of you on medication? How is it possible to be this negative? Geeze fellas. 

hahahahaha for real man

17 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

People are so upset about the Josh Allen pick like they know with certainty that he will fail, as if they have a time machine and have already seen his entire career play out.  This board is bordering on hysterics.

Kurt Warner didn’t even get drafted and he’s in the Hall.  Ryan Leaf #2 overall and was an epic fail.  Tom Brady, sixth rounder, GOAT.  Sam Bradford, #1 pick, highest paid player in NFL history, no rings, and at the end of the day a professional journeyman QB.

But we're all supposed to believe that Allen is going to fail and there is no doubt about it.  The pick is a disaster. He has no chance to be successful. Zero. Fit Josh Rosen for his golden jacket right now. Josh Allen will be selling life insurance in Tonawanda in five years.

I’d appreciate if one of you people here who can see the future so clearly on this NFL fan message board would send me a private message, I’ve got some money to invest and I want to retire early.

Of course, it makes you wonder why they even come to this message board or bothered watching the draft.  With their Nostrodamus like abilities they already knew we were going to pick Josh Allen tonight....

hahaha, I really enjoyed this post, nice work.

14 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But we're all supposed to believe that Allen is going to fail and there is no doubt about it.  The pick is a disaster. He has no chance to be successful. Zero. Fit Josh Rosen for his golden jacket right now. Josh Allen will be selling life insurance in Tonawanda in five years.

And IMO, you're speaking in just as big absolutes as the folks who don't like the pick.   

No one knows with certainty.   But probabilities and history show that players who have desireable traits, experience and abilities when they are picked--and don't have to be "fixed" or re-molded into something new--have had more success than those, such as Allen, who are just a big piece of clay.   

The NFL junk heap is littered with guy's who have potential.   Very few coaching staffs have the ability/time to overcome player limitations, no matter how great of "teachers" they think they are...

22 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But we're all supposed to believe that Allen is going to fail and there is no doubt about it.  The pick is a disaster. He has no chance to be successful. Zero. Fit Josh Rosen for his gold jacket right now. Josh Allen will be selling life insurance in Tonawanda in five years.

These types of posts are the most unnecessary and useless of all posts on messages anywhere. You're telling us to wait and see, it could be better than it appears on it's face. Enlightening.

Sure it could be, but it probably won't. I'm not interested in waiting 3 years to talk about whether or not this was a bad move. If it turns out to be a great pick 5 years from now, that's irrelevant. It was a bad move TODAY. They shouldn't be given a pass if they get lucky and the kid doesn't suck. He sucked in college, badly. history suggests he'll suck in the pros. The Bills had countless chances over the last 2 drafts to grab far more accomplished prospects, and instead they sell the farm for a kid from a farm, that still belongs on a farm. Allen at 12 would have been bad enough, Allen + two high second round picks is inexcusable.

It was true in 2008 and a decade later it's still true: http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3350135

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And IMO, you're speaking in just as big absolutes as the folks who don't like the pick.   

No one knows with certainty.   But probabilities and history show that players who have desireable traits, experience and abilities when they are picked--and don't have to be "fixed" or re-molded into something new--have had more success than those, such as Allen, who are just a big piece of clay.   

The NFL junk heap is littered with guy's who have potential.   Very few coaching staffs have the ability/time to overcome player limitations, no matter how great of "teachers" they think they are...

I don't pretend to know if Allen will be successful or not.  I wasn't an Allen guy before the draft.  In some previous posts I stated that I don't follow college football closely enough or have the knowledge base to have an informed opinion on who the best QB prospect in this draft is.  I said I would put my trust in McBeane, root for who ever they ended up drafting, and hope for the best.

I have no idea if Allen will be a great QB for us or not.  What I am absolutely certain of is that no one here knows that he won't be either.  That's my point...

Thanks for your civil reply, I know my point of view on this subject is not the prevailing one.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

4 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Anyone got the odds on that one?  I'm going with break - all in.  Actually I'd even say it will be this draft in general, because this was the restock the cupboard draft after jettisoning lots of pretty talented players.  Sure you needed to get a QB, but giving away even more assets to move up again?  Come on man.  That's blowing your load before you even get started.

It is the giving up assets for a “maybe” prospect in Allen, that is the issue. If Allen fails the entire

fan base, and league will say “I told

you so” And we will have dipleated the roster to do so. 

Allen has to turn out and show tons of promise in the next 3 years or the McBeane are toast. We cleared our entire scouting staff, LT, CB1, and gave away our DT1. This QB needed to hit. 

Most of us thought 5 years because of the playoffs. They get 2, MAYBE 3 more with this pick. They’d have been better off grabbing Rosen, him having a Bradford like career, retiring, and we move

on. Allen HAS TO HIT

2 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

Not to mention regularly missing really easy throws that you can't miss at the NFL level, or being totally confused by simplistic defensive schemes employed by less than NFL caliber players.

12 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't pretend to know if Allen will be successful or not.  I wasn't an Allen guy before the draft.  In some previous posts I stated that I don't follow college football closely enough or have the knowledge base to have an informed opinion on who the best QB prospect in this draft is.  I said would put my trust in McBeane, root for who ever they ended up drafting, and hope for the best.

I will do likewise.   

But I also like to do my own due dilligence and spent the past month watching as much video of these prospects as I could.    Now, that's like saying I know physics like the late- Stephen Hawking because I read one of his books.   But 50-years of watching and going to NFL games does give you some idea of what to look for--and I frankly don't see  enough intangibles here (reading defenses, awareness of pre snap coverages, looking off safties, not staring down receivers, throwing guys open) to feel Allen's the guy.

Beane and Company do.    So into the breach I'll follow.   But I'll be looking over my shoulder a lot for the  accident waiting to happen...

Edited by Lurker

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

These types of posts are the most unnecessary and useless of all posts on messages anywhere. You're telling us to wait and see, it could be better than it appears on it's face. Enlightening.

Sure it could be, but it probably won't. I'm not interested in waiting 3 years to talk about whether or not this was a bad move. If it turns out to be a great pick 5 years from now, that's irrelevant. It was a bad move TODAY. They shouldn't be given a pass if they get lucky and the kid doesn't suck. He sucked in college, badly. history suggests he'll suck in the pros. The Bills had countless chances over the last 2 drafts to grab far more accomplished prospects, and instead they sell the farm for a kid from a farm, that still belongs on a farm. Allen at 12 would have been bad enough, Allen + two high second round picks is inexcusable.

It was true in 2008 and a decade later it's still true: http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3350135

I apologize if you find my post "useless" and "unnecessary".  I admit, I did express a crazy opinion that maybe we should wait until Allen actually takes an NFL snap before we decide if he is a bust or not.  I realize that I may not be as skilled at QB evaluation as other anonymous posters on a message board.

I should have just sided with the majority here who have already declared him a bust.  No doubt about it.  It's a certainty.  No chance for success.  Wasted pick.  Case closed.  No dissent will be tolerated without labeling it as "useless" and "unnecessary". You might have noticed I never predicted Allen will be great or even good in my post.  Just that I think those declaring him a bust might be a tad premature in their judgement.

If you feel like you don't need to wait a year or two to see if an NFL draft pick is a bust or not, I would respectfully suggest, sir, that your posts are more "useless" and "unnecessary" than mine.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They obviously found a flux capacitor and went into the future.  Lucky guys. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

If it turns out to be a great pick 5 years from now, that's irrelevant.

That is what you just wrote.  Do you not understand what the draft is all about?

I would have liked Rosen more, but that kind of critique is just silly.