The most important question we should have regarding Josh Allen?

PIZ

He has the height needed to excel.  The size to take a hit.

He has the hand size required.

He has the arm.  Strongest arm ever in the draft?

Scored a 37 on the Wonderlic.

He doesn't have "slow eyes".

Country boy with faith.

The only thing draft gurus question is his accuracy.

My question isn't just accuracy.  My questions.... is he he making the right decision?  Is he throwing to the right receiver?  If he is making the right decision, but not making an accurate pass, that can be corrected through practice, footwork, and proper mechanics.  That is where Brett Favre was coming out of college, and I can live with that decision to take him.

If he not making the right decision and also not accurate, then he's Tyrod Taylor and I want nothing to do with him.  I have had enough with the Offensive Coordinator call the right play, and see a guy streaking down the sideline uncovered, only to have the QB dump it off.

If this is overkill, I will delete of mods can move this to another Josh Allen thread, but the decision making aspect hasn't really been touched on.

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

At this point, the only question we should ask is, “why are we still rehashing topics over and over”

Just trying to make sense of why the draft guys see him as a top 5 pick and why they are all pegging him to Buffalo.  They must be seeing something we are not.  It's not just the big arm.  

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Just trying to make sense of why the draft guys see him as a top 5 pick and why they are all pegging him to Buffalo.  They must be seeing something we are not.  It's not just the big arm.  

I always wonder if the “draft guys” really rate guys that high or if it is because they hear that a team that picks high really likes him and might take him.

5 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I disagree. It’s entirely the big arm, the improved record year one to year two. We’ve seen this before. This time of year there is always a case of “high floor Russian roulette” that I’m hoping the bills choose not to play.

Just now, jr1 said:

Yep.  I get that, but has Dan orlovsky met with Josh Allen, talked to his coaches, given him a private workout, scouted his games, interviewed him, talked to his opponents, etc. or just watched tape?

I just don't get why you see this kind of stuff from Orlovsky, Allbright, etc. and the opposite from Jeremiah, Mayock, Casserly, etc.

The mental aspect of the game is where his detractors argue he struggles.

That is the most important part of a QB's game these days, and why I am not an Allen fan.

You don't really need perfect size, huge hands, and a rifle to be highly effective in today's NFL.

You need to be able to read a defense, understand football tactics, and know where the ball should go.

You then need to be able to get it there accurately, but most throws are fairly short these days.  

Pick apart the D, hit the open man for a 7 yard gain.  If you can do that all day long, you'll move the ball and score a ton.

Ask Tom Brady!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

The mental aspect of the game is where his detractors argue he struggles.

That is the most important part of a QB's game these days, and why I am not an Allen fan.

You don't really need perfect size, huge hands, and a rifle to be highly effective in today's NFL.

You need to be able to read a defense, understand football tactics, and know where the ball should go.

You then need to be able to get it there accurately, but most throws are fairly short these days.  

Pick apart the D, hit the open man for a 7 yard gain.  If you can do that all day long, you'll move the ball and score a ton.

Ask Tom Brady!

This is what I'm looking for.  Is there an NFL guy saying this?  A link?  I can't find anything definitive on the mental part of his game.  It is faulty, then yes, stay away.

14 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Thanks, Dan. I'll do the opposite of whatever you think.

That thread is a bunch of people ripping on Dan, then Dan getting butthurt and responding with "you didn't play in the NFL like I did, bro"

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, co_springs_billsfan said:

Too funny! I'm an accountant, that doesn't give me the right to say 2+2=5.

I'm not an accountant though, so if you tell me 2+2=5, according to Dan orlovsky, I'm not allowed to dispute you, since math isn't my job.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PIZ said:

This is what I'm looking for.  Is there an NFL guy saying this?  A link?  I can't find anything definitive on the mental part of his game.  It is faulty, then yes, stay away.

There are all-22 film reviews out there from the likes of Matt Waldman and Cover1 that discuss his descision making. 

The most important question needed to be asked about him is, can he translate the lyrics of international superhit and one of Earth's greatest musical compositions of all time, the classic song, "Despacito?"

If not, I don't want him anywhere near the Bills. I don't care if he can throw a 900 yard pass and hit a Target (yes, the store), if he don't know those words, he no play foosball in Billstown. 

I am not an Allen fan, but I can’t see why he can’t be as good as Cam Newton.  If you build a good OL to give him time, I think his completion % will be >60% and he will have several big plays down field with a decent receiving corp.

i sort of think Newton is a good comp for Allen.  Both have excellent arm strength, neither are anticipatory throwers, both have great size, both are running threats (Newton advantage).

Anyone see it similarly?

One thing to remember is that you can excell in college just based on talent alone. When you get to the NFL where you are facing the "best players" the game changes and you cannot succeed based on your natural talent alone. Which of these guys want to devote the next decade or more getting to the film room early and learning the mental part of the game? Are some of these guys gonna be "partiers" or will they eat, drink and live football? 

Edited by DefenseWins

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Last week, Schopp & Bulldog had yet another "draft expert" on and he went through all the QBs.

His take on Allen was that he is too easily and consistently confused, can't make reads at the line of scrimmage, stares down #1 receiver, has trouble looking around to find an open target, etc. etc.

All the usual stuff that makes a QB bad at the NFL level.  

For me, the job is mostly (like 80%) things not involving physical athleticism.  Of course, when the time comes, you have to be able to throw the football and with fairly good accuracy.

1 minute ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I think there's gonna be 2 or 3 teams doing this.  Hopefully the Bills are not one of them.

1 minute ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I think there's gonna be 2 or 3 teams doing this.  Hopefully the Bills are not one of them.

many hits and misses this year...it will be fun for years to come!!!

go bills!!!

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

Yep.  I get that, but has Dan orlovsky met with Josh Allen, talked to his coaches, given him a private workout, scouted his games, interviewed him, talked to his opponents, etc. or just watched tape?

I just don't get why you see this kind of stuff from Orlovsky, Allbright, etc. and the opposite from Jeremiah, Mayock, Casserly, etc.

To your point though have Mayock and others done any of those things?  They are all just spitballing right?  The draft tape I watched was like 1 incredible throw with 2 ir 3 routine throw misses. The other advanced metrics have seemed to agree. He’s a hard pass for me.