Would you use Shady as trade bait?

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

He’s not asking if they’d do it. He’s asking if they’d take it if you say yes or no. If you’d say no you’re nuts. 

I love the shade man as much as the next guy but c’mon. 

Yes I would. A 30 year old Shady with that contract would be gone. No brainer.

What exactly could we get for an aging RB when this draft is deep with guys that can pound the rock?

As the great Lombardi once said.....pound the piss outta the RB’s and then put them out to pasture when they got nothing left (I’m paraphrasing here)

47 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We'd get a 5th or 6th round pick for him.  What do you propose we do with that?

Theres cap space too...

I would’ve considered it more strongly in March and if there was a round 3-ish attached. Sign a decent vet and add a day two rookie with the pick/savings. It’d be a matter of win now with shady or take a little risk for gaining better long term building prospects and a more focused running approach. I like shady but I also like the models we saw in Minnesota (depth kept them solid despite injury) and nola (healthy and consistently strong).

15-20 touches a week and shady is your guy but if you need 30 carries or see a rolled ankle and those backfields are better. 

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Very. They wouldn't want that contract. 

essentially 2 years 12m with little risk. It’s not terrible for a new team.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Theres cap space too...

I would’ve considered it more strongly in March and if there was a round 3-ish attached. Sign a decent vet and add a day two rookie with the pick/savings. It’d be a matter of win now with shady or take a little risk for gaining better long term building prospects and a more focused running approach. I like shady but I also like the models we saw in Minnesota (depth kept them solid despite injury) and nola (healthy and consistently strong).

15-20 touches a week and shady is your guy but if you need 30 carries or see a rolled ankle and those backfields are better. 

essentially 2 years 12m with little risk. It’s not terrible for a new team.

Same answer.  Draft a young Barkley instead. 

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Same answer.  Draft a young Barkley instead. 

Not trying to change your mind, but for discussion sake...

at that point 2 years of shady with no guarantees vs 4 years of Barkley fully guaranteed with both at the same pay rate.... the pick gets you a little longevity

but with a pass rusher or corner or... it saves you $10m a year in cap space that can be spent on addition 

barkley looks like a great player but the structure of pay slotting vs positional pay rates for vets makes running back a really limited value that early.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

at that point 2 years of shady with no guarantees vs 4 years of Barkley fully guaranteed with both at the same pay rate.... the pick gets you a little longevity

but with a pass rusher or corner or... it saves you $10ma year in cap space that can be spent on addition 

As I stated in previous comment, Barkley will get more than $7 mil per year average if picked #2 overall

If it helped us land our franchise QB and/or add another key component to either side of the ball then yes. Age is a huge factor if you found the right price and the right trade partner then I'm all for it, I would hate to see him go but if the team got better in the long run then yes. I trust Beane to make the right decisions. 

Just now, MJS said:

McCoy is best used as a RB and nothing else.

Not like 30 year old running backs (with big cap hits) have a lot of trade value, you know.

The cap hits if traded are essentially 6 flat with no guarantees. A little above average starter money with far below average commitment. The pick is the biggest issue honestly. 

1 hour ago, bills in oregon said:

I would strongly consider it. he turns 30 this year and what do you hope to achieve with him on the roster? I really like him but I think we could use him to get more picks. this RB class is also deep. 

we have plenty of picks and you don't win by getting rid of your best player

2 hours ago, bills in oregon said:

I would strongly consider it. he turns 30 this year and what do you hope to achieve with him on the roster? I really like him but I think we could use him to get more picks. this RB class is also deep. 

Emphatically no.  We have too few offensive weapons as it is.

And at the age of 30, we'd never good value for him in a trade.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

but with a pass rusher or corner or... it saves you $10m a year in cap space that can be spent on addition 

barkley looks like a great player but the structure of pay slotting vs positional pay rates for vets makes running back a really limited value that early.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't make any serious considerations for something beyond the realm of any possibility.  If you're into that, be my guest.