Baker Mayfield Spider Chart...does it mean anything? Is he the #1 QB?

So the following "spider charts" were shown in the BN article: See it: Why PFF is so low on popular Bills mock draft QB Josh Allen. The data is fro PFF. Do you think these charts are reflective of NFL success? I wish we had charts for QBs from previous draft classes as a method of comparison....Opinions on this?

Article link: http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/12/why-pff-low-popular-bills-mock-draft-target-josh-allen-mayfield-rosen-darnold-jackson-rudolph-pro-football-focus-quarterback/

Mayfield-Baker-Spider-750x508.png

Allen-Josh-Spider-750x508.png

Darnold-Sam-Spider-750x508.png

Rosen-Josh-Spider-750x508.png

Rudolph-Mason-Spider-750x508.png

Jackson-Lamar-Spider-750x508.png

Edited by umang_a_desai
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd like to see Mayfield's passing chart just to see how many of his completions were "gimmies" as in easy throws like bubble screens, dump-offs, short in-breaking routes, etc. It'd also be nice to see charts for the other guys as well to see which parts of the field they excel at throwing to. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I'd like to see Mayfield's passing chart just to see how many of his completions were "gimmies" as in easy throws like bubble screens, dump-offs, short in-breaking routes, etc. It'd also be nice to see charts for the other guys as well to see which parts of the field they excel at throwing to. 

This article by Bill Barnwell from earlier in the week at least answers your question as it affects these QB's 2017 season:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23039883/history-tells-us-nfl-terrible-evaluating-quarterbacks-means-2018-draft-prospects

completion_percentage_thrown_distance_in_air.png

completion_percentage_by_zone.png

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Draft Mayfield and get me a #6 jersey :thumbsup:

Truth is, Rosen is the #1, Baker #2, Darnold #3. If we land either, I'd be a happy man. That said, I can't help but think Beane just got his first lesson in reality. We may not get any of them. Hope I'm wrong

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Devilmann said:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/09/baker-mayfield-oklahoma-flag-ohio-state-win

How epic would it be to see him do that with a Bills flag on that stupid patriot logo. If it was up to me he’s my pick!! Balls out competitor with a chip on his shoulder. 

Kraft would suspend him for the season. 

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Truth is, Rosen is the #1, Baker #2, Darnold #3. If we land either, I'd be a happy man. That said, I can't help but think Beane just got his first lesson in reality. We may not get any of them. Hope I'm wrong

Opinion. 

4 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

This article by Bill Barnwell from earlier in the week at least answers your question as it affects these QB's 2017 season:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23039883/history-tells-us-nfl-terrible-evaluating-quarterbacks-means-2018-draft-prospects

Those are interesting #'s. 

I wonder how much of an affect on overall completion % those lower numbers of short throws have on Allen and Jackson. Also, is that lower # of short throws indicative of the fact that those two ran more pro-style offenses? 

Edited by whatdrought

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Opinion. 

Those are interesting #'s. 

I wonder how much of an affect on overall completion % those lower numbers of short throws have on Allen and Jackson. Also, is that lower # of short throws indicative of the fact that those two ran more pro-style offenses? 

Well, yes its my opinion

58 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Well, yes its my opinion

I share it with you LOL.  My order is the same.  Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold.  After that, I am not taking a QB before I take Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward, Trumaine Edmonds, Will Hernandez, Darius Guice.

16 hours ago, section122 said:

I tried so hard not to get invested in these guys but I have a serious man crush on Mayfield.

You watch them beat a few cupcakes and win some hyped rivalry games on Saturday’s, I know the feeling.

but as a big ten fan I mistrust great QB performances sustaining in the NFL...

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

I share it with you LOL.  My order is the same.  Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold.  After that, I am not taking a QB before I take Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward, Trumaine Edmonds, Will Hernandez, Darius Guice.

This is spot on IMO as well. IF we miss out on QB, we just go BPA. Plenty of top talent to get cute with our picks

18 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

completion_percentage_thrown_distance_in_air.png

completion_percentage_by_zone.png

So Rosen dinks and dunks a bit

Mason Rudolph

Rudolph held a private workout with the Patriots earlier this offseason, so there's clearly some interest on the team's front. Rudolph is looked as a more of a prototypical Patriots selection as he has good size and an accurate arm. At Oklahoma State, Rudolph increased his completion percentage four straight years finishing his senior season connecting on 65 percent of his passes. In 2017, he threw for 4,904 yards and 37 touchdowns to just nine interceptions. He's also displayed some solid mobility rushing for 10 touchdowns in 2017. 

While those numbers are strong, Rudolph is still raw and a few years behind a quarterback like Brady could do him a world of good rather than jumping in and playing immediately. 

When asked at the NFL Combine, Rudolph was pretty open to working behind Brady saying it'd be "pretty darn cool" to craft his game under the five time Super Bowl champ. 

Rudolph's stock has arguably seen the most positive movement leading up to the draft. While he was once though to be had with one of New England's two second round picks, they may need to use No. 23 or No. 31 to bring the OSU quarterback to Foxboro. 

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Rundown-of-potential-QB-prospects-the-Patriots-could-draft-117173554

His spider chart looks pretty good as well. I wonder if we could get him at 22 or maybe with a slight trade down from #12.   #12 to #15= 150 points or #24 in the 3rd round...... #12-> #18= 350 points or #23 in the 2nd round.