Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McCoy isn't worth anything in the draft save for a late round pick. 30 yo RBs on a big contract aren't worth squat to other NFL teams.

AFA Incognito is concerned, why do people take it personally when their favorite team has a player retire? They don't owe the fans their bodies on the field of play.  Dude's played 10+ NFL seasons and people make it sound like he still owes the fans and team something.

See how Wood retired. See how RI retired. Note the difference in fans reactions. Heck Wood just got a big signing bonus and walked away from the game, fans still supported the player. 

Just now, IgotBILLStopay said:

oh man reading this thread makes me sick. how callous are we as a group? the guy had  bad news from the doctor about his kidneys and liver which caused him to rethink playing. he did give his all on the field. pray he stays healthy. 

The news on his health was bad but 1.25 million more bucks would have cured it? Yikes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Right?

A 35-year old guard retiring or leaving the team shouldn't change your position on what you do in the draft. Odds are you were going to be looking for his replacement in the draft anyways.

Because the plan was presumably moving up to take Rosen. 

Tell me, wise one, exactly how you were planning on protecting him with Bodine, Groy, Ducasse and Mills on the offensive line? Especially if moving up entailed trading away #12, 22 and probably at least one if not two 2nds? I'm presuming that starting offensive lineman are falling from the sky in your draft projections and you'll fill up with 3rd round picks. 

It almost certainly changes what you are doing. A Pro Bowl guard, and really the heart and soul of what remains of your offensive line, just retired two weeks ahead of the draft. And you think it doesn't change what you'd do in the draft? 

??? That's freaking amazing. 

Is this actually confirmed, or is this all part of some master smokescreen strategy?

If it's true that Richie is in bad shape I truly feel for the guy, but it just sounds like he's screwing around with everyone. Doesn't seem like a very professional way to end your career.

5 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

maybe..maybe not...he could have played this season and Bills then could look for his replacement with the huge cap space theyll have next off-season plus the 2019 draft...now they have figure out what to do this year...

Do they have to figure out the guard position this year? They can still trade up for a QB and get a guard next year or retool the OL in FA next off season. They don't have to play the rookie QB this year.

There are also still FA guards out there.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t forget he took a pay cut a few weeks ago that he wasn’t happy about. I’m sure that played a role.

I'm sure the pay cut was a significant factor. The business is very cold-blooded. Sentiment is not part of the equation. I believe that although his play declined a little it was still at a high level. And although the Bills luckily made the playoffs this is still a rebuilding team. I'm sure RI didn't find that an appealing situation to be in,  especially on a reduced salary. 

It will be interesting to see if this is the end of the story for him. It might not? 

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Losing a guard doesn't change our draft plans.  The Bills apparently were ready to move on from Richie if he didn't take the pay cut.

oh yes it does-- We will still get a QB but we are not moving up. No experience on that O line will get someone we mortgage our future on killed,.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Because the plan was presumably moving up to take Rosen. 

Tell me, wise one, exactly how you were planning on protecting him with Bodine, Groy, Ducasse and Mills on the offensive line? Especially if moving up entailed trading away #12, 22 and probably at least one if not two 2nds? I'm presuming that starting offensive lineman are falling from the sky in your draft projections and you'll fill up with 3rd round picks. 

It almost certainly changes what you are doing. A Pro Bowl guard, and really the heart and soul of what remains of your offensive line, just retired two weeks ahead of the draft. And you think it doesn't change what you'd do in the draft? 

??? That's freaking amazing. 

Take the Bills front 7 on D and take their 5 starting olinemen, does any other team have weaker lines than the Bills do right now?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm sure the pay cut was a significant factor. The business is very cold-blooded. Sentiment is not part of the equation. I believe that although his play declined a little it was still at a high level. And although the Bills luckily made the playoffs this is still a rebuilding team. I'm sure RI didn't find that an appealing situation to be in,  especially on a reduced salary. 

It will be interesting to see if this is the end of the story for him. It might not? 

It may not be. He fired his agent after the pay cut. It sounds like some hard feelings. I suppose it could change but who knows. 

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And a couple days ago he was on about "can't wait to get back to football" etc.

Likeban hour ago was “good morning football”

who knows... if he got bad news from the doc he may have gone off the deep end. And he has history of being off the deep end. 

Odd story all around. Hopefully all is ok with him.