We should have kept Taylor... (TSW Mock draft related...)

hahahaha, guys! thanks for your reactions, in reality if you are following the TSW Mock draft thread, it was just a way (Thanks Virgil! it worked...) to summon  @MJ A Bobby (Lions fake owner) to show up and make his pick, right ahead of me. Someone also suggested, for that purpose, me starting a thread re: ¨I think that trading up to get a QB, is a bad idea...¨ and so....have fun!!

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'll give props to OP for at least getting "should have" correct in the title.

Ha! I was going to say the best thing about this thread is the title wasn’t “We should OF kept Tyrod”. It just feels like a post that would include that lazy oops. I’ll just look past the stray period.....and the assumption that we will just take Jackson, like it’s a foregone conclusion. What are the odds we even draft at 12?   

• Like (+1) 2

Why?  18 million savings + the FIRST pick in the 3rd round for a mediocre QB vs 5 million salary for a similarly mediocre QB seems like a no brainer to do what the Bills did ade him

Edited by aceman_16
Speeeling
  • Like (+1) 4

Tyrod is a decent QB at best, and I think we've seen his best. Getting a third round pick for him was highway robbery - almost on par with getting Shady for Kiko and getting Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard.

TT is a quarterback for a team that needs consistancy more then quality.  Buffallo used to be such a team, but outgrew him, Cleveland is such a team, making the trade good for both teams.  By the time the Browns outgrow him, their rookie should be ready to take over.  And you can't overlook the draft pick and cap relief we got in the trade as well.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We should have Kept, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manual, Cardale Jones, Jeff Tuel and even Matt Cassel.

All of them are making the Bills look bad....:rolleyes:

...bet the farm...ALL will be Canton bound some day....I think it is a province in China........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Tyrod is a decent QB at best, and I think we've seen his best. Getting a third round pick for him was highway robbery - almost on par with getting Shady for Kiko and getting Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard.

Not just a 3rd. The first pick of the 3rd. That's something.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If that's really true, then this team is really in trouble.  There was an article just the other days showing that in drafts with over 5 QB's taken in first round, 33% turned out to be franchise QB's, 38% were busts or close to it.  so if you only have a 1 in 3 shot at finding the right guy, to be fired over making the wrong choice is crazy.  

I truly believe TP doesn't like constant change, so the front office will stick around as long as he sees overall improvement in the roster.  If every position on the team is improved except stil ldon't have the QB right, will be given more chances to figure it out.

I think his job depends on it too.

If he trades up and the guy doesn't pan out, I think many (including myself) would be more forgiving than if he sat on his hands, did nothing (or took a flyer later in a QB) and the QBs he didn't trade up for wound up being really good.

That's what ultimately killed Whaley.

Not going for broke on a QB.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think his job depends on it too.

If he trades up and the guy doesn't pan out, I think many (including myself) would be more forgiving than if he sat on his hands, did nothing (or took a flyer later in a QB) and the QBs he didn't trade up for wound up being really good.

That's what ultimately killed Whaley.

Not going for broke on a QB.

Who should Whaley have traded up for?  remember also hindsight is 20/20.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Who should Whaley have traded up for?  remember also hindsight is 20/20.

I think he could have matched or beaten the offer for Goff that STL proposed, although it was quite a bit.

Passed on Carr also.

There weren't a lot of good QBs when he was drafting, so you're right on that.

Must have just been all his other bad decisions lol

23 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why keep Tyrod? 

I agree with the FO and Coaching Staff to try and do better.

The Bills have tried to take their own or other teams backups and make them starters for 10 of the past 11 years. 

The answer to this question is you keep a player if he delivers the goods and you have no replacement that is better.

Preferably, your team actually is in a position to generally approach player decisions not from the standpoint of why should we keep a player, but instead WHICH of the many options for players do we choose to invest in!

As far as TT, to me it all starts with the FACT he PROVED himself capable of being THE QB to end the 17 year playoff drought!

Even better from the perspective of judging him as a QB, he QB'ed the team despite the somewhat bizarre lack of faith McD showed in him (yes it  was reasonable to doubt that a non-pocket passer could lead the team to an SB berth, the football stupid judgment the Bills braintrust made was that an NFL  concensus 5th round drafted rookie QB could lead the team to an SB- this would simply be unprecedented  (even Tom Brady, arguably the best QB ever needed to sit for a year and by his own testimony needed tons of help from seasoned vets before he was ready to lead his team as QB, McD made what looks like a real football stupid judgment that somehow this NFL consensus 5th round rookie talent was going to achieve a level of performance exceeding things even Tom Brady did).

TT on the other hand pretty clearly seems to have limitations in his ability to be the dropback passer needed to be capable of even getting a berth into the SB (much less win it).  However, a team not only needs to walk before they run and quite frankly after 17 years of missing the playoffs, the Bills needed to simply crawl before we walked.

Is TT capable of being the QB we need to go deep in the playoffs?  Almost certainly not! 

However, the immediate mission last year was "merely" to break the 17 year playoff drought.  As George Bush would say, Mission Accomplished with TT playing a prominent role.

In fact, the Bills could not have accomplished making the playoffs without him (if you disagree then understand you are advocating that Nate Peterman could have led us to the playoffs if only McD had stuck with him and started him instead off TT after Nate's 5 INT game.

This reality being acknowledged (which some alleged Bills fans for some reason refuse to do}, the question after profusely thanking TT for his 2017 -play is to ask the question whether he is the QB capable of leading us in our next mission (go deep in the 2018 playoffs).

The answer is probably not.

However, this leads directly to the question of what's the alternative and how much will it cost?

Time will tell if qb play goes down with AJM or a Rookie......

For now I agree with the decision.....the simple fact of the matter is TT had reached his ceiling.....there is a lot of argueing on what that ceiling actually was and people cry all day about passing yards

I dont care about passing yards at all....I care about scoring points and limiting turnovers.....he was not so great at the first with his arm and excellent with the other....but we need both

We have a vet on the roster........just get the QB you believe in and lets move on.....good luck to TT in Cleveland

• Like (+1) 1

• BuffaLoko changed the title to We should have kept Taylor... (TSW Mock draft related...)
On 4/7/2018 at 9:19 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I'll give props to OP for at least getting "should have" correct in the title.

Thanks for your props Doctor,  maybe because English is my second language I take it a little bit  more seriously than  Average Joe!;)

On 4/7/2018 at 6:37 AM, Mountain Man said:

The Jackson / Tyrod comparison is one of the laziest in the draft. If you actually watch Lamar you realise they arent similar at all. Jackson is an aggressive player wheras Tyrod is one of the most conservative ever. Tyrod only ever throws to wide open receivers whereas Jackson actual understand how to throw receivers open

True.  Jackson’s issues occur when he moves and his mechanics and accuracy go to hell, but they’re pretty damn good - among the best in the class - when he doesn’t.  The big projection is teaching him to maintain what he can otherwise do when he moves. That certainly seems possible.  He’s intriguing.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:59 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why keep Tyrod? 

I agree with the FO and Coaching Staff to try and do better.

The Bills have tried to take their own or other teams backups and make them starters for 10 of the past 11 years. 

Please, see the purpose of my original post in earlier messages,  now... in the other hand it seems that I summoned way more people than MAJ Bobby!

On 4/6/2018 at 8:07 PM, billspro said:

The Bills are not taking Jackson. If you watch the tape he has some development to even become as good of a passer as Tyrod. The Bills want to be able to throw the ball all over the field, they are not going to pick a QB that has a very high percentage of sailed passes over WRs heads. I will be shocked if Jackson goes before the mid 20's.

If you want real evidence:

1) The Bills were not at Jacksons pro day

2) Jackson has not been on a predraft visit

It was widely reported that all 32 teams were at Jackson’s pro day.  Not saying we will take Lamar or not, but they stated during his live pro day that it was confirmed all 32 teams were there.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It was widely reported that all 32 teams were at Jackson’s pro day.  Not saying we will take Lamar or not, but they stated during his live pro day that it was confirmed all 32 teams were there.

Not according to Astro's post. They definitely didn't have a visit with him before the pro day like they did with Rosen and Mayfield. 

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Not according to Astro's post. They definitely didn't have a visit with him before the pro day like they did with Rosen and Mayfield. 

They sent someone to the U of L pro day but didn’t do a private workout or meeting with Lamar. 

6 hours ago, KingRex said:

The answer to this question is you keep a player if he delivers the goods and you have no replacement that is better.

Preferably, your team actually is in a position to generally approach player decisions not from the standpoint of why should we keep a player, but instead WHICH of the many options for players do we choose to invest in!

As far as TT, to me it all starts with the FACT he PROVED himself capable of being THE QB to end the 17 year playoff drought!

Even better from the perspective of judging him as a QB, he QB'ed the team despite the somewhat bizarre lack of faith McD showed in him (yes it  was reasonable to doubt that a non-pocket passer could lead the team to an SB berth, the football stupid judgment the Bills braintrust made was that an NFL  concensus 5th round drafted rookie QB could lead the team to an SB- this would simply be unprecedented  (even Tom Brady, arguably the best QB ever needed to sit for a year and by his own testimony needed tons of help from seasoned vets before he was ready to lead his team as QB, McD made what looks like a real football stupid judgment that somehow this NFL consensus 5th round rookie talent was going to achieve a level of performance exceeding things even Tom Brady did).

TT on the other hand pretty clearly seems to have limitations in his ability to be the dropback passer needed to be capable of even getting a berth into the SB (much less win it).  However, a team not only needs to walk before they run and quite frankly after 17 years of missing the playoffs, the Bills needed to simply crawl before we walked.

Is TT capable of being the QB we need to go deep in the playoffs?  Almost certainly not! 

However, the immediate mission last year was "merely" to break the 17 year playoff drought.  As George Bush would say, Mission Accomplished with TT playing a prominent role.

In fact, the Bills could not have accomplished making the playoffs without him (if you disagree then understand you are advocating that Nate Peterman could have led us to the playoffs if only McD had stuck with him and started him instead off TT after Nate's 5 INT game.

This reality being acknowledged (which some alleged Bills fans for some reason refuse to do}, the question after profusely thanking TT for his 2017 -play is to ask the question whether he is the QB capable of leading us in our next mission (go deep in the 2018 playoffs).

The answer is probably not.

However, this leads directly to the question of what's the alternative and how much will it cost?

The decision on Tyrod was made a long time ago: he isn’t good enough to win a Super Bowl. 

Doesnt matter if he is better than AJ McCarro. (I don’t even consider what Peterman is because he sucks). 

This Staff, and I think they’re correct, has decided to break away from Year 4 of Tyrod Taylor and set out to find our own Franchise QB. I don’t always agree with the Bills FO, that’s for sure, but come on people, the Band Aid has to get ripped off at some point. You can’t keep taking Trent, Ryan, Kyle, Tyrod and going year after year hoping for the Rudy story. 

I appreciate Tyrod’s efforts, he was a true professional. But he’s not good enough to halt your plans, put your coaching position on the line and build around. 

Jauron got fired trying to build around Trent, Chan got fired sticking with Fitzpatrick, Marrone wanted Orton back, and Rex/Whaley couldn’t do better than EJ/Tyrod. 

Its time. 

• Like (+1) 1