Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

18 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So... now we finally get to the real reason for the thread... Wow that is amazing. I hope we draft the kid even more. You're sensitive over the school you went to? Get over it... Who cares... People who go to a lot of these schools are like !@#$ing loons who join cults. I'm not just singling you out, trust me, I know people who are just as absurd and crazy who went to PSU, MSU, ND, and LSU. 

It's a really annoying trait to have though to be honest. 

What was his point exactly? That UCLA has a crappy team because of its high academic standards?

Stanford has much higher academic standards than UCLA and it has a much better football team.

And again, what did Alabama and two players from Clemson had to do with anything? 

It seems he couldn’t accept the fact that he played for a bad team and that he couldn’t hack the academics, so he lashed out.

Edited by Sky Diver

I would love to have Rosen in my class. And on my team. Some think he's snarky and I get that. But the kid is sharp, and not afraid to ask questions. This kid can throw down on Brady and Kraft in a presser, and follow up by backing it up on the field. He will drive the patriots fans crazy.

Edited by MURPHD6

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Why would you think engineering at Alabama is easy, lol.

Why do you have such a high opinion of UCLA? They had one of the worst records of lowering the bar for athletes. Maybe they have cleaned up their act.

http://dailybruin.com/2009/01/06/emucla-should-not-lower-admission-standards-athlet/

I don’t think Rosen had a point nor did he have a clue about what he was taking about. That’s the problem. But he’s perceived by some as a genius.

Do you agree with AL.com when they said we should be thanking Rosen?

What was his point exactly? That UCLA has a crappy team because of its high academic standards?

Stanford has much higher academic standards than UCLA and it has a much better football team.

And again, what did Alabama and two players from Clemson had to do with anything? 

It seems he couldn’t accept the fact that he played for a bad team and that he couldn’t hack the academics, so he lashed out.

Man, you are taking this way too personally.... You need to get over it. If he went at the U and Clemson would you care at all? What's this about Stanford? Did he say anything negative about them? Like I said, these quotes have nothing to do with how he can perform at the NFL level.... You're bringing up old Rosen and Saban quotes and they have nothing to do with anything. Also, as you said, greatest college coach ever, he was a disaster in the NFL and so bad that he will never test those waters again. Don't care about his opinion on a 1st round talent QB. He's produced, and coached exactly none of those to this point. Maybe Tua can change that

Again, I'm not really paying attention to this because this is a Bills board, and I generally agree with his comments. I'm not treating him as a genius, however, guys who get D1 scholarships at power conferences for the most part think they have a chance at going pro and treat the sport more as a career rather than whatever they claim to study. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

11 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

132 - 20 record at Alabama with 5 national championships. I think he's just a little more credible than Rosen.

I'm curious as to why you feel his winning record and national Championships make him more credible.  Rosen is not claiming Alabama doesn't win.

I know 'Bama is a fine school - neighbor's son going there for math.  But what majors do the football players pursue?  For the football players who don't go to the NFL, what is their employment rate or acceptance at grad and professional school?  Those would be the appropriate refutations needed.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm curious as to why you feel his winning record and national Championships make him more credible.  Rosen is not claiming Alabama doesn't win.

I know 'Bama is a fine school - neighbor's son going there for math.  But what majors do the football players pursue?  For the football players who don't go to the NFL, what is their employment rate or acceptance at grad and professional school?  Those would be the appropriate refutations needed.

Actually, most of what you said has nothing to do with anything as far as the Bills are concerned. Don't give him reason to continue on this meaningless tirade.

He wants to talk Alabama, go to an Alabama board. Rosen's comments have nothing to do with how he projects as a pro. It's a pointless discussion, and he isn't bringing it up because he doesn't believe in Rosen. He's bringing it up because he was offended. 

I love these people who never played a sport in college, yet let their institution be defined by their sports. It's a joke. Sky Diver is just that, without a parachute. 

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Eh... Those quotes you are getting Rosen on are from before the 2017 season... That was a let down and saw the coach fired. It was when they were optimistic, but whatever, I'm not expecting much from you.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Let’s be honest...

Playing football while getting your degree is tough. 

Playing football while getting your degree AND chasing poon and partying every weekend is much more difficult....

Edited by Bakin
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Let’s be honest...

Playing football while getting your degree is tough. 

Playing football while getting your degree AND chasing poon and partying every weekend is much more difficult....

Jonny football made it look easy

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Actually, most of what you said has nothing to do with anything as far as the Bills are concerned. Don't give him reason to continue on this meaningless tirade.

He wants to talk Alabama, go to an Alabama board. Rosen's comments have nothing to do with how he projects as a pro. It's a pointless discussion, and he isn't bringing it up because he doesn't believe in Rosen. He's bringing it up because he was offended. 

I love these people who never played a sport in college, yet let their institution be defined by their sports. It's a joke. Sky Diver is just that, without a parachute. 

Eh... Those quotes you are getting Rosen on are from before the 2017 season... That was a let down and saw the coach fired. It was when they were optimistic, but whatever, I'm not expecting much from you.

From 10 - 3 before Rosen, UCLA went to 8 - 5, 4 - 8, and 6 - 7 with Rosen.

In the meantime, McCarron won back to back national championships at Alabama.

Winner vs Cry Baby, Whining Loser.

8 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Jonny football made it look easy

Didn’t know Johnny Football got his degree

I’m still waiting to have it explained why Rosen’s point is contradicted by either team’s W-L record.  His implication is that ‘Bama does well because it loosens academic standards for football players and creates programs to keep them eligible.  

You could counter that by showing that ‘Bama football players major in the same subjects/take the same classes and have the same GPA distribution as the rest of the student body

But crowing about ‘Bama wins could in fact, just reinforce Rosen’s points

You aren’t seeming to make a lot of sense, though I am on neuro precautions at the moment so I’m open to having an explanation of why really, you do

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m still waiting to have it explained why Rosen’s point is contradicted by either team’s W-L record.  His implication is that ‘Bama does well because it loosens academic standards for football players and creates programs to keep them eligible.  

You could counter that by showing that ‘Bama football players major in the same subjects/take the same classes and have the same GPA distribution as the rest of the student body

You aren’t seeming to make a lot of sense, though I am on neuro precautions at the moment so I’m open to having an explanation of why really, you do

From a disinterested party, wait. Not to say that your guys debate isn't interesting, it actually is. Usually these things turn into one person stating facts and the other falls back on calling names.

Anyway I should have said neutral party. From a neutral party consider the possibility, as I do, that Rosen was making a wise crack.

He very easily could have made his point, and made it better, by speaking in a general way about schools fitting a certain profile. But he  didn't he said Alabama, and I think for a reason.

And Hapless now is your chance to go around with a Bills helmet on for a few days if you want. You have a good excuse! :) 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's not making any sense.  He's essentially putting his fingers in his ears and screaming blah blah blah if anything is stated negatively about Alabama academics.

Then his counter arguments have nothing to do with the topic. 

9 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

From a disinterested party, wait. Not to say that your guys debate isn't interesting, it actually is. Usually these things turn into one person stating facts and the other falls back on calling names.

Anyway I should have said neutral party. From a neutral party consider the possibility, as I do, that Rosen was making a wise crack.

He very easily could have made his point, and made it better, by speaking in a general way about schools fitting a certain profile. But he  didn't he said Alabama, and I think for a reason.

And Hapless now is your chance to go around with a Bills helmet on for a few days if you want. You have a good excuse! :) 

He also demeaned two Clemson players who earned their degrees early.

First, Rosen claimed that “football and school don’t go together,” and if an athlete tries his hardest to earn a good education, he’s taking time away from football. Hayes then asked how Watson and his roommate, Artavis Scott, were able to graduate in three years at Clemson.

Here is Rosen’s response and the follow-up question and answer:

Rosen: I’m not knocking what those guys accomplished. They should be applauded for that. But certain schools are easier than others.

B/R: It can’t be that simple.

Rosen: If I wanted to graduate in three years, I’d just get a sociology degree. I want to get my MBA. I want to create my own business. When I’m finished with football, I want a seamless transition to life and work and what I’ve dreamed about doing all my life. I want to own the world. Every young person should be able to have that dream and the ability to access it. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

While Rosen did commend the Clemson players for their accomplishments, his comment can be taken as a backhanded compliment. The Clemson players had every right to choose an “easier” field if it interested them. Watson and Scott both graduated with communications degrees.

https://www.diehards.com/clemson/ucla-qb-josh-rosen-hands-deshaun-watson

By the way, Rosen is leaving UCLA without a degree and Clemson, like Alabama, is a fine university,

Edited by Sky Diver

13 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Having a 75th percentile ACT of 32 puts Alabama among the public Ivy’s.

The 25th percentile of 23 is largely demographic driven.

Combining all of your threads....none of them disputes what Rosen is saying nor do any of them lead us to conclude Saban is right.

Saban's players, like many NCAA football players anywhere in Div1, aren't in the vast majority, obtaining majors in difficult majors either because they aren't very bright or because of the reasons Rosen stated.

This isn't even controversial.  Saban comes off as a moron in this debate. 

Agree with Saban.. granted Rosen said this last year.  I worked fulltime while in college, volunteered and had internships my junior and senior years.  Was it tough yeh, not much of a social life., was it worth the sacrifice... yup...  ps that was over 30 years ago...  dont know Rosen but strikes me of Mellianial whining.

Edited by North Buffalo

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Combining all of your threads....none of them disputes what Rosen is saying nor do any of them lead us to conclude Saban is right.

Saban's players, like many NCAA football players anywhere in Div1, aren't in the vast majority, obtaining majors in difficult majors either because they aren't very bright or because of the reasons Rosen stated.

This isn't even controversial.  Saban comes off as a moron in this debate. 

What's funny is that the same site that the OP used also said we should thank Rosen for his comments.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/instead_of_hating_josh_rosen_f.html

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Agree with Saban.. granted Rosen said this last year.  I worked fulltime while in college, volunteered and had internships my junior and senior years.  Was it tough yeh, not much of a social life., was it worth the sacrifice... yup...  ps that was over 30 years ago...  dont know Rosen but strikes me of Mellianial whining.

What was your major?  I ask because I was a college athlete and there was a lot of programs that I couldn't get into because of the demands of my schedule.

I ended up with an Education degree that I had to put off for a year because of baseball (this is why I graduated in 5 years instead of 4).  I could not complete my internship/student teaching if I continued to play.  The rules were I couldn't miss more than 3 days in the classroom.  Well in the spring when the season is going on, I'm missing a lot of school.  Practice in the offseason was 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm every Monday thru Friday.  Student teaching is 7:00 am - 3:00 pm...Monday thru Friday.  I had a teammate that was an Architecture Major.  He had to quit ball because he could not do both with the hours in the lab that are required for his major.  

If I was a business, sociology, communications major etc......I wouldn't have had a problem doing both.

I had to wait until I was done with ball and then finish my degree.  In my last year in college while playing ball, I took a bunch of easy classes just to be eligible over the 12 hour limit to play.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What's funny is that the same site that the OP used also said we should thank Rosen for his comments.

OOPS!

Yeah, I'm assuming that the OP is an alum of Alabama (otherwise it's all very creepy).  If his point is that Alabama has a lot of smart kids studying there...well, every college does.  But comparing it to the Ivy League in any way is nuts.

I guarantee, if you went to Bama, once you go North of DC, any employer is going to check if they can see your toes through your shoes and count your teeth before they interview you.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's difficult to go to college and play competitive sports. What a revelation! I guess that unique insight makes Rosen a genius in the eyes of some.

Not sure what Alabama, or the two players at Clemson who graduated in 3 years had to do with this.

I guess Rosen thinks he's special because he attends UCLA and he is working on a degree in economic (which he will leave UCLA without finishing as far as I know).

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I guess Rosen thinks he's special because he attends UCLA and he is working on a degree in economic (which he will leave UCLA without finishing as far as I know).

I guess your degree wasn't in English.  

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It's difficult to go to college and play competitive sports. What a revelation! I guess that unique insight makes Rosen a genius in the eyes of some.

Not sure what Alabama, or the two players at Clemson who graduated in 3 years had to do with this.

It astonishes me how you keep missing the point of this.  I mean it's been going on for pages now.  It has to be trolling at this point....it has to be right?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Demanding degrees and Ivy League schools aren’t for everyone.

Rosen doesn’t go to an Ivy League school and he isn’t in a particularly difficult major.

I think he’s a guy who’s led a sheltered existence and has no clue what he is talking about.

Economics isn't a difficult major? What planet are you from? 

This crusade of yours is so tired. I know your kid went to Alabama, and great. But this is a dumb argument. UCLA is by essentially *every* measure (eg, multiple global ranking systems of universities) a top 15 university in the WORLD, and *as a university*  is ranked higer than a number of ivies. For multiple years running it has received the most applications of any university in the US despite not actually being a monster-size university like ohio state et al. Alabama, which is a perfectly fine school, isn't in the same universe, partly because it's a deep south state with a long history of underfunding public education at the k-12 level (recently ranked 50th out of 51 in math scores --http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/alabamas_schools_ranked_8th_wo.html ). That's ok and more importantly it has no bearing on how any individual will do in life. Lots of smart people graduate from Alabama. In other words, give it a rest.

Also, I can pretty much guarantee you that no one wants to hear how an MA in business (FAR easier than econ) and sports management from Kent State in 1975 somehow makes him a good scholar. He is a great football coach who is especially good at recruiting great athletes, most of whom don't giving a flying f**k about school (with a couple of exceptions). Every player the Bills have drafted recently from Alabama has been a moron, and just look at Reuben Foster. As for Clemson, Sammy Watkins and CJ spiller are all I have to say. Neither appears to be above a fourth grade reading level. I'm not saying UCLA is much better,  by the way. But the thing you need to realize ist that just about all of them are bad.  Big time college football is about as corrup an institution as there can be. If it disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't shed one tear.

Btw, the last Bills coach with an MA was Rex Ryan, who has an MA  from Eastern Kentucky (an analog of sorts to Kent State) in phys ed. He is not smart. It means nothing.

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

UCLA acceptance rate is 18%.

Alabama is 54%.

So more than half of the students who apply at Alabama get in.

It’s much harder to get into UCLA.

More than half of Alabama's admissions are from out of state. Bama does not have high standards when it comes to admissions.

https://www.thoughtco.com/university-alabama-gpa-sat-act-data-786689

Saban, of course, will defend academics in order to maintain that college and football should go hand in hand. Dude's making over $11 mil per year. He has to protect what's funding his nest egg.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It astonishes me how you keep missing the point of this.  I mean it's been going on for pages now.  It has to be trolling at this point....it has to be right?

Going to college and playing sports is difficult.

is there some nugget of genius from Rosen that I missed?

22 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We need an Alabama sub-forum just for the OP so he can continuously extol the virtues of all things Crimson Tide.

We have it....it's called the college football forum.   

I wonder how many reporters Nick Saban had sticking mics and cameras in his face, misrepresenting every word coming out of his mouth and endlessly speculating on his future to a national audience during his junior year.  

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Going to college and playing sports is difficult.

is there some nugget of genius from Rosen that I missed?

Yes I know because I did it.  

Yes you have missed repeatedly.  I'll ask again, do you agree with AL.com that we should be thanking Rosen.  You obviously like that site.....

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Tebow was like 35-6, won two titles, and a Heisman.

I think Andrew luck was basically the same record as luck.

Are they the same QB?

You're a complete moron.

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes I know because I did it.  

Yes you have missed repeatedly.  I'll ask again, do you agree with AL.com that we should be thanking Rosen.  You obviously like that site.....

Oh, I forget the difficult major part. Is that what you are talking about?

If not, please enlighten me on what I have repeatedly missed.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's what's crazy to me.  For a school that consistently ( I think 7 years in a row recently) wins in recruiting, they can ever get a top QB.  LSU is the same way.

Have you seen Tua play?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

That's what's crazy to me.  For a school that consistently ( I think 7 years in a row recently) wins in recruiting, they can ever get a top QB.  LSU is the same way.

LSU - yes. It’s a joke, those poor 5 Star WRs running around wide open. OSU also. It’s because they recruit to scheme specific offense. OSU evolving a bit now in the type of QB they are recruiting  ... will see in a year or two if anything changes on that front when it comes to NFL prospects at that position. 

• Haha (+1) 1