Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep this.  My friend's daughter was D1 volleyball at Miami of OH.  Came in intending to major in engineering.  Had to get the dean of students and NCAA involved her jr year when the coach scheduled extra weightlifting practice (not team drills, just picking it up and putting it down) off-season that conflicted with a required engineering prerequisite, and wouldn't allow her to make it up at another time.  She won her point and graduated summa cum laude but now turn that to a big revenue-generating sport like football or men's bball.

One of my teammates had to quit ball because of his Architecture major.  They are required to put a certain amount of hours each week in the lab or they can't pass.  He couldn't do both.

I had to take a bunch of worthless classes just to remain eligible my senior year.  I was an Education major and I couldn't do student teaching because that's 7:00-3:00 M-F.  I couldn't miss more than 3 days in my internship or I would fail.  This is why it took me 5 years to graduate.

My practice schedule was 1:00-5:00 M-F.  I had to take all my classes before practice or take classes at 6:00 pm.  Weight training was at 7:00 pm so if I had an evening class, I had to make up weight training another time.  Really sucked I never really got to sleep in while in college during the school year....every day my first class was 7:30 am just because of practice.  During the season, I missed at least 2-3 classes a week.  

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen contends that college football and academics don't mix. Well, ten of thousands of football players before him have played football and earned degrees, many in very demanding majors. Is it easy? Obviously not. Is mixing college football and academics more difficult in the last 3 years since Rosen has been at UCLA? I hardly think so.

I guess you're going to disagree with Ramsay and Rolle too.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/7/9/5885433/ncaa-trial-student-athletes-education

Ramsay: "There exists a culture that demonizes anything that doesn't directly help the program." (Like internships). Wow.

Rolle says many teammates struggled academically. They “go through this academic machinery…left torn, worn, no idea of their purpose.”

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's fine.

I'm not anti-Alabama.  I know and have acknowledged that it's a good academic school.  It's obviously an elite athletic school.

IMO, Sky Diver is just going way overboard and very sensitive if UA is not being talked about as super fantastic happy hour.

Does Alabama have lower admission standards than UCLA? Obviously. 25th to 75th percentile is 23 - 32 for Alabama and 27 - 33 for UCLA. The two schools serve a different demographic. I don't have any idea what the numbers are for football players, do you? It's well documented that UCLA has lower standards for athletes vs non-athletes. Anyway, at the end of the day, it matters more about where you end up than where you start.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen contends that college football and academics don't mix. Well, ten of thousands of football players before him have played football and earned degrees, many in very demanding majors. Is it easy? Obviously not. Is mixing college football and academics more difficult in the last 3 years since Rosen has been at UCLA? I hardly think so.

Rosen said that playing major-program college football and attending college are both full time jobs:

"Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements," Rosen said. "OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.  Rosen also said that "human beings don't belong in school with our schedules."

"No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school," Rosen adds."It's not that some players shouldn't be in school; it's just that universities should help them more—instead of just finding ways to keep them eligible."

Which of those specific statements do you disagree with?  Tens of thousands of people do work two full time jobs.  The fact that they do so, and survive, or the fact that some students play D1 sports and thrive academically, doesn't contradict what Rosen actually said about

1) how difficult it is

2) that some players are in college because it's their path to the NFL, not because they want to pursue college or are equipped academically to succeed in college

3) that universities focus on keeping student athletes eligible, not on helping them academically

That's the sad thing here, Sky Diver - you're so frothy over any aspersion on Alabama that it seems to have robbed you of your ability to actually read and comprehend

1) what Rosen actually said

2) why the points you keep bringing up about Alabama actually don't contradict it or really address it at all

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Does Alabama have lower admission standards than UCLA? Obviously. 25th to 75th percentile is 23 - 32 for Alabama and 27 - 33 for UCLA. The two schools serve a different demographic. I don't have any idea what the numbers are for football players, do you? It's well documented that UCLA has lower standards for athletes vs non-athletes. Anyway, at the end of the day, it matters more about where you end up more than where you start.

To think that any SEC school outside of Vandy doesn't lower their standards to get players in is extremely naive.  

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rosen said that playing major-program college football and attending college are both full time jobs:

"Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL. There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements," Rosen said. "OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.  Rosen also said that "human beings don't belong in school with our schedules."

"No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school," Rosen adds."It's not that some players shouldn't be in school; it's just that universities should help them more—instead of just finding ways to keep them eligible."

Which of those specific statements do you disagree with?  Tens of thousands of people do work two full time jobs.  The fact that they do so, and survive, or the fact that some students play D1 sports and thrive academically, doesn't contradict what Rosen actually said about

1) how difficult it is

2) that some players are in college because it's their path to the NFL, not because they want to pursue college or are equipped academically to succeed in college

3) that universities focus on keeping student athletes eligible, not on helping them academically

That's the sad thing here, Sky Diver - you're so frothy over any aspersion on Alabama that it seems to have robbed you of your ability to actually read and comprehend

1) what Rosen actually said

2) why the points you keep bringing up about Alabama actually don't contradict it or really address it at all

by.gif

Did you need Rosen to tell you that playing football and getting a degree is difficult?

Rosen demeaned Alabama (and Clemson as well as players who earned degrees that he doesn't think are worthy) and I have simply pointed out the facts about the academics at Alabama. That he went there with his comments says a lot about his personality and why there are so many questions about him.

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Did you need Rosen to tell you that playing football and getting a degree is difficult?

Rosen demeaned Alabama (and Clemson as well as degrees that he doesn't think are worthy) and I have simply pointed out the facts about the academics at Alabama. The fact that he went there says a lot about his personality and why there are so many questions about him.

well

Time to grow up Sky.  You shouldn't get that uptight because someone said something mean about your favorite school.

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen demeaned Alabama (and Clemson as well as players who earned degrees that he doesn't think are worthy) and I have simply pointed out the facts about the academics at Alabama. That he went there with his comments says a lot about his personality and why there are so many questions about him.

And there we have your motivation in a nutshell.  Rosen demeaned Alabama in your eyes by suggesting their football players don't have the good SAT scores (a contention that posting the overall SAT scores of a 38 thousand enrollment school does nothing to address) and that universities in general, including Alabama, care more about player eligibility than player education.  And you are full-off-salt thereby, and can't lose any opportunity to hash it up.

But I believe in you, Sky Diver.  I think you can get over it.  I really do.  You can do it, Big Guy!

35 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I think you're making a basic error here. Rosen wasn't really demeaning either Alabama or Clemson. He picked them out because for two year running they have been the most elite programs in the country, and teams that are loaded with five-star recruits. At this point in time, they get way better talent than any school not named USC. That's the point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Academics are probably a lot less challenging now than they used to be.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/43767/

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think you're making a basic error here. Rosen wasn't really demeaning either Alabama or Clemson. He picked them out because for two year running they have been the most elite programs in the country, and teams that are loaded with five-star recruits. At this point in time, they get way better talent than any school not named USC. That's the point. 

Stanford has an elite football program and it's academic standards are a lot higher than UCLA.

UCLA is just a crappy football team that got worse on Rosen's watch.

Rosen is a whiner who can't take any personal responsibility for his team's poor performance and his academic failings.

Edited by Sky Diver

11 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Academics are probably a lot less challenging now than they used to be.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/43767/

Stanford has an elite football program and it's academic standards are a lot higher than UCLA.

UCLA is just a crappy football team that got worse on Rosen's watch.

Rosen is a whiner who can't take any personal responsibility for his team's poor performance and his academic failings.

I honestly don't know what your point is. What does Stanford have to do with this *at all*? Are you also aware that UCLA's defense was among the worst in the country (117th out of 130 schools) and that Rosen played only half a season the year before?

Argue better.

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I honestly don't know what your point is. What does Stanford have to do with this *at all*? Are you also aware that UCLA's defense was among the worst in the country (117th out of 130 schools) and that Rosen played only half a season the year before?

Argue better.

I thought my argument was obvious. Rosen was implying that there is a correlation between admission standards and the quality of a football team. I used Stanford as an example of a school that has much higher academic standards than UCLA and has a much better football team.

UCLA's record pre-Rosen was 10 - 3. During Rosen's tenure UCLA was 8 - 5, 4 - 8 and 6 - 7. He didn't lift the team; the team became worse.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I thought my argument was obvious. Rosen was implying that there is a correlation between admission standards and the quality of a football team. I used Stanford as an example of a school that has much higher academic standards than UCLA and has a much better football team.

UCLA's record pre-Rosen was 10 - 3. During Rosen's tenure UCLA was 8 - 5, 4 - 8 and 6 - 7. He didn't lift the team; the team became worse.

You are misquoting him. He is clearly referring to SAT admission standards for the athletes, not the general student population. I am also very confident that he knows that UCLA has quite low SAT standards for its football players too. He named Alabama because they are flat-out the best program in the country. Like UCLA, most (not all) of the guys they recruit are basically knuckle draggers. The same goes for other elite public universities like Michigan and (infamously) UNC. 

As for Stanford v. UCLA, Stanford's admissions standards are higher, but it is a fact that UCLA is the second-most difficult public university to get into (based on acceptance rates) in the country after Berkeley. Comparing public and private universities is an apples-and-oranges exercise in any case; they serve different functions.  As an institution overall, UCLA is pretty much always ranked in the top 15 universities globally. Stanford is higher, but it's not as if there's a huge gap. As for comparing their football teams over the long haul, UCLA's record is infinitely better than Stanford's. Stanford has, however, been a lot better in the last decade or so. UCLA had a lot of bad coaches of late despite constantly bringing in talent.

Finally, football is a team game. UCLA's defense this year was historically awful. Jalen Hurts, who sucks, had a very good won-loss record if you believe in that sort of thing. I don't.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You are misquoting him. He is clearly referring to SAT admission standards for the athletes, not the general student population. I am also very confident that he knows that UCLA has quite low SAT standards for its football players too. He named Alabama because they are flat-out the best program in the country. Like UCLA, most (not all) of the guys they recruit are basically knuckle draggers. The same goes for other elite public universities like Michigan. 

As for Stanford v. UCLA, Stanford's admissions standards are higher, but it is a fact that UCLA is the second-most difficult public university to get into (based on acceptance rates) in the country after Berkeley. Comparing public and private universities is an apples-and-oranges exercise in any case; they serve different functions.  As an institution overall, UCLA is pretty much always ranked in the top 15 universities globally. Stanford is higher, but it's not as if there's a huge gap. 

I've tried explaining this over and over and over again but he doesn't want to hear it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You are misquoting him. He is clearly referring to SAT admission standards for the athletes, not the general student population. I am also very confident that he knows that UCLA has quite low SAT standards for its football players too. He named Alabama because they are flat-out the best program in the country. Like UCLA, most (not all) of the guys they recruit are basically knuckle draggers. The same goes for other elite public universities like Michigan and (infamously) UNC. 

As for Stanford v. UCLA, Stanford's admissions standards are higher, but it is a fact that UCLA is the second-most difficult public university to get into (based on acceptance rates) in the country after Berkeley. Comparing public and private universities is an apples-and-oranges exercise in any case; they serve different functions.  As an institution overall, UCLA is pretty much always ranked in the top 15 universities globally. Stanford is higher, but it's not as if there's a huge gap. As for comparing their football teams over the long haul, UCLA's record is infinitely better than Stanford's. Stanford has, however, been a lot better in the last decade or so. UCLA had a lot of bad coaches of late despite constantly bringing in talent.

Finally, football is a team game. UCLA's defense this year was historically awful. Jalen Hurts, who sucks, had a very good won-loss record if you believe in that sort of thing. I don't.

We don't know what the admission standards are at UCLA, Alabama and Clemson for football players, and neither does Rosen, which makes this comment stupid. We do know that UCLA has lower admission standards for athletes.

"OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have."

Stanford does not relax it's academic standards for athletes, so if Rosen is right, they should have a really bad football team, and obviously they don't.

Rosen is a mixed up kid and if he couldn't throw a ball, no one would care what his opinion was on anything of substance.

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

We don't know what the admission standards are at UCLA, Alabama and Clemson for football players, and neither does Rosen, which makes this comment stupid. We do know that UCLA has lower admission standards for athletes.

Stanford does not relax it's academic standards for athletes, so if Rosen is right, they should have a really bad football team, and obviously they don't.

Rosen is a mixed up kid and if he couldn't throw a ball, no one would care what his opinion was on anything of substance.

So AL.com is stupid because they said we should be thanking Rosen for his comments?

8 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Stanford absolutely relaxes its academic standards for athletes (I speak with authority on this because I know someone who was recruited there). So does Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, and ND. I can't believe you said that!

And we do know the admission standards for football players at UCLA, Alabama, and Clemson: in a word, low.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Stanford absolutely relaxes its academic standards for athletes (I speak with authority on this because I know someone who was recruited there). I can't believe you said that!

But this is not actually true. Although we do not have comprehensive statistics comparing athletic admits to regular admits, some data does exist. Looking at a group of 10 elite colleges and using SAT scores (on the 1600 point scale) as a proxy for academic ability, Princeton researchers found that being a recruited athlete gave an admissions boost equivalent to scoring 200 points higher on the SAT. We can also look at high school scouting reports for football players. Looking at the Stanfordrecruitment class of 2009 (this year was quite typical in terms of test scores), the median football player who reported scores got an 1800 out of 2400 on the SAT and 26 on the ACT. Based on university statistics, this puts the football median comfortably in the bottom quartile and likely somewhere in the bottom 10 percent in terms of test scores. Stanford football players are quite smart, but the data suggests they place near the bottom of Stanford’s admits.

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2015/02/22/the-price-of-athletics-at-stanford/

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Don't worry, in a decade or so your inferior team just might come within 30 points of the National Champion University of Alabama Crimson Tide. Try not to let the jealousy and hate build until then; it's like poison, ya know?

Saban is and it isn't close.

Quiter

and there is a college forum for the Saban sluts to worship him

This is not an attack on athletes, nor is it a suggestion that all athletes are underqualified. In fact, my inspiration for this op-ed came from an article by John Urschel, who, aside from being an offensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens, is also a published mathematician. Urschel suggests that football players, including those at Stanford, are letting their sport take precedence over their education.

Urschel’s argument is one part of my broader concern. At Stanford, there is a serious tradeoff between athletics and academics: a tradeoff that is under-recognized and goes largely undiscussed. Athletics is not mentioned as part of Stanford’s purpose in the Founding Grant, nor in the mission statements of any of the seven schools. Yet we are making substantial sacrifices for athletics, in terms of financial resources and spots in each entering class. I believe the fundamental question is how much we, as a university, value athletics for its own sake. If our actions are out of line with our values, then we need to change.

It’s time for us to consider whether Stanford’s policies of heavy investment in athletic programs and recruitment are really in line with the university’s mission. Regardless of what we decide to do, we as a university should have a frank discussion about how much we are willing to sacrifice academics for athletic success.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So AL.com is stupid because they said we should be thanking Rosen for his comments?

Okay, so let's all give Rosen a round of applause for saying that it's is difficult to manage college football and academics.

I didn't see that he offered any insightful solutions or provide any alternatives to the status quo, did you? I might actually find that interesting.

The only we know is that he is bolting from college without earning a degree. 

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Okay, so let's all give Rosen a round of applause for saying that it's is difficult to manage college football and academics.

I didn't see that he offered any insightful solutions or provide any alternative to the status quo, did you?

The only we know is that he is bolting from college without earning a degree. 

Man when you don't like a question, you get extremely dramatic.....or you ignore it.

Now you're criticizing him for not having a degree after 3 years?  Geezus dude.  What's to stop him from completing his degree after he's drafted like several other players have?

There's what...a half dozen players leaving Alabama early without a degree?  They're bolting college without a degree too.  

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And there we have your motivation in a nutshell.  Rosen demeaned Alabama in your eyes by suggesting their football players don't have the good SAT scores (a contention that posting the overall SAT scores of a 38 thousand enrollment school does nothing to address) and that universities in general, including Alabama, care more about player eligibility than player education.  And you are full-off-salt thereby, and can't lose any opportunity to hash it up.

But I believe in you, Sky Diver.  I think you can get over it.  I really do.  You can do it, Big Guy!

"Universities in general, including Alabama, care more about player eligibility than player education."

Bold statement with no proof. Alabama graduated about 84% of it's football players.

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Most football players are "knuckle draggers"? Wow! Alabama graduates about 84% of it's football players. 100% earned their degrees over 7 years. Some graduate in less than 4 years and some graduate with their Master's degrees.

Can you make a list for me of the knuckle draggers on the Alabama roster?

http://www.rolltide.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Edited by Sky Diver

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

"Universities in general, including Alabama, care more about player eligibility than player education."

Bold statement with no proof. Alabama graduated about 84% of it's football players.

How am I misquoting Rosen? Here's what he said:

"Look, football and school don't go together," Rosen explained. "They just don't. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they're here because this is the path to the NFL. There's no other way. Then there's the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers."

Most football players are "knuckle draggers"? Wow, what a moronic statement. Alabama graduates about 84% of it's football players. 100% earned their degrees over 7 years. Some graduate in less than 4 years and some graduate with their Master's degrees.

Man, you are very, very naive about what it takes for a player at a big time D1 school to get a “degree”. Piece of advice: check out their majors, look into the special tutor systems at these places, and read up on UNC, a better school than Alabama. The guys who don’t get their degrees are generally the really good ones who can enter the draft after their junior year. These schools make it about as easy as possible for people at 6th grade reading levels to graduate with ease. Without getting into detail, I have spent the last three decades of my life at major university institutions. I know what I’m talking about.

The Alabama “scholar athlete” is the wrong hill to die on. Accept big time D1 football for what it is: a thoroughly corrupt institution that  makes a ton of money for the big schools and which has absolutely nothing to do with academics. I wouldn’t fault anyone for enjoying a system that I think shouldn’t exist in its current form — it is highly entertaining, after all — but I do ask that people at least see it for what it truly is.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Diver—we get it man, you love the program and back it to the hilt. Now please, let this thread die. (Or at least change the title to something more appropriate.)

I get it. Rosen's comments are stupid and indefensible. I don't blame you for giving up.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Interesting. So you are an expert on Alabama because????

Where is your list of  "knuckle draggers" on the Alabama roster? I'm curious to see it.

35 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I think Dave McBride largely summarized Rosen's point: Most college football players are knuckle draggers, and it's even worse if they attend Alabama or Clemson.

Let's say "most' is greater than 50%. So who are they on Alabama's roster? I'd like to the see list.

At least you waited 25 minutes before repeating yourself.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Please stop this, Diver.  We both know that overall graduation rates with degrees in stuff like "general studies" do not reflect the quality of the education athletes are receiving.

This is what Alabama told a CNN article on the subject, which is a nice way of saying "we don't know if there's a problem or how big it is because we don't look"

Alabama says it does not keep records, or track in any way, entrance exam scores or results of reading evaluations for athletes. The university also says it does not have a process for "special admits." There is one reading specialist on staff who works with athletes.

Someone else posted an article link about the topic of player eligibility vs player education in general, and there have been several personal experience accounts too.

I get it, you're a 'bama boy.  Roll Tide.  But repetitively countering points that people make with stats and general 'bama facts that really don't bear on them simply makes you look foolishly partisan. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please stop this, Diver.  We both know that overall graduation rates with degrees in stuff like "general studies" do not reflect the quality of the education athletes are receiving.

This is what Alabama told a CNN article on the subject, which is a nice way of saying "we don't know if there's a problem or how big it is because we don't look"

Alabama says it does not keep records, or track in any way, entrance exam scores or results of reading evaluations for athletes. The university also says it does not have a process for "special admits." There is one reading specialist on staff who works with athletes.

Someone else posted an article link about the topic of player eligibility vs player education in general, and there have been several personal experience accounts too.

I get it, you're a 'bama boy.  Roll Tide.  But repetitively countering points that people make with stats and general 'bama facts that really don't bear on them simply makes you look foolishly partisan. 

Did you like when he sent the Alabama roster link and asked us who is a "knuckle dragger"?.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

At least you waited 25 minutes before repeating yourself.

I'll patiently wait for the list of knuckle draggers in the Alabama football rooster. Since it is most of them, it should be easy to compile.

36 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I'll patiently wait for the list of knuckle draggers in the Alabama football rooster. Since it is most of them, it should be easy to compile.

Only if you can let us know which specific players from UCLA got in because they lowered their admission standards.

http://uclabruins.com/roster.aspx?roster=184&path=football