Saban's response to Rosen's comments regarding the demands of college football

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'll ask again...do you agree with Al.com that we should be thanking Rosen?

He is taking the "saban strategy" of ignoring things you don't want to deal with, like how saban ignores recruiting good QBs.

21 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Oh, I forget the difficult major part. Is that what you are talking about?

If not, please enlighten me on what I have repeatedly missed.

Have you seen Tua play?

You mean all 77 career attempts in 8 games played?

All time great, obviously.

Also, serious question:

Isyour Alabama butt plug "home" or "away" colors??

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

LSU - yes. It’s a joke, those poor 5 Star WRs running around wide open. OSU also. It’s because they recruit to scheme specific offense. OSU evolving a bit now in the type of QB they are recruiting  ... will see in a year or two if anything changes on that front when it comes to NFL prospects at that position. 

It has to be better than Michigan's recruitment strategy for QB's who can't pass.

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

It has to be better than Michigan's recruitment strategy for QB's who can't pass.

They recruit ok but don’t develop them .. keep sticking transfers back there (who transferred for a reason, they weren’t good enough to play) instead of playing their recruits. OSU can recruit and develop but it’s a tough sell to the NFL when a QB is known more for his rushing than his passing. That seems to be changing with their new OCs and most of the QBs they have brought in over the last few years (Martell excluded) ...and Urban admitting to change needed to his scheme, but the proof lies ahead. And i don’t entirely trust him in that respect. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 4/3/2018 at 12:07 PM, Mr. WEO said:

This is rich:  college coach commenting on talk of mixing football with difficult academic majors when this same coach pumps his players through a football program where his players "major" in Business, Exercise and Sport Science, Communications Studies and Criminal Justice.

Also, in response to Rosen's comments, this is coming  from a coach that hasn't produced a viable NFL QB starter--they just ain't smart enough to play.

On 4/3/2018 at 12:15 PM, Mango said:

Unsure what goes on in Exercise Science at Bama. But it is actually an incredibly difficult field, following a similar track to pre-med/bio and requires gross anatomy.  Might want to remove that one.

Yeah I read that and had to double take.  Exercise Science is extremely difficult and anyone that can play any D1 sport and do well in that major my hats off to them.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:52 AM, Sky Diver said:

132 - 20 record at Alabama with 5 national championships. I think he's just a little more credible than Rosen.

Your win-loss record as a college football coach doesn't say squat about your credibility.

What says something about your credibility is ... you know ... not lying.

Remember this quote from Saban:  "I guess I have to say it, I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You keep missing the point....

And the article you posted doesn't have any football players.  It's swimmers, divers, softball and gymnasts.

The University of Alabama placed 78 student-athletes on the 2016 Fall Southeastern Conference Academic Honor Roll, the conference office announced this week.

A total of 35 members of Alabama's 2016 SEC champion football team earned a place on the honor roll. Among those earning the academic accolade were starters O.J. Howard, JK Scott, Tony Brown, Cole Mazza, Hale Hentges and Ross Pierschbacher. The Tide's total ranked second among the 14 SEC football squads, just behind Arkansas.

http://www.rolltide.com/news/2017/2/8/general-alabama-athletics-places-78-on-the-2016-fall-sec-academic-honor-roll.aspx

Colleges are really good at branding. The fact is, after you are hired no one cares where you graduated from. It’s just a name on a piece of paper. Provided you go to a reputable school, what matters is what you do when you are in school rather than where you went to school.

5 hours ago, cudi said:

Yeah I read that and had to double take.  Exercise Science is extremely difficult and anyone that can play any D1 sport and do well in that major my hats off to them.

I don’t know anything about the Excercise Science program at UA, but it’s a serious curriculum.

ESS-program-of-study.pdf

10 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Isn’t Saban saying the same thing as Rosen? Seems like they are agreeing with each other: it is hard. 

Rosen thinks he is special because he attends UCLA and is majoring in Economics. For some reason, in explaining why playing football and doing academics is difficult, he chose to express his disdain for Alabama and Clemson and those who choose to major in subjects that he doesn’t think are difficult.

The guy appears to be a major snowflake.

Edited by Sky Diver

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Rosen thinks he is special because he attends UCLA and is majoring in Economics. For some reason, in explaining why playing football and doing academics is difficult, he chose to express his disdain for Alabama and Clemson and those who choose to major in subjects that he doesn’t think are difficult.

And you appear to be a major broken record since you've now made the point in what? 3 extaunt threads and now started one, just to make the same point over.  And over.  And over. again.

Rosen made some comments.  You disagree.  /thread.  Why this

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And you appear to be a major broken record since you've now made the point in what? 3 extaunt threads and now started one, just to make the same point over.  And over.  And over. again.

Rosen made some comments.  You disagree.  /thread.  Why this

I am sure the guys in the locker room will really appreciate his elitist attitude. It’s going to play really well.

50 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The University of Alabama placed 78 student-athletes on the 2016 Fall Southeastern Conference Academic Honor Roll, the conference office announced this week.

A total of 35 members of Alabama's 2016 SEC champion football team earned a place on the honor roll. Among those earning the academic accolade were starters O.J. Howard, JK Scott, Tony Brown, Cole Mazza, Hale Hentges and Ross Pierschbacher. The Tide's total ranked second among the 14 SEC football squads, just behind Arkansas.

http://www.rolltide.com/news/2017/2/8/general-alabama-athletics-places-78-on-the-2016-fall-sec-academic-honor-roll.aspx

Colleges are really good at branding. The fact is, after you are hired no one cares where you graduated from. It’s just a name on a piece of paper. Provided you go to a reputable school, what matters is what you do when you are in school rather than where you went to school.

Do you agree with AL.com, the site you used in the first post of this thread, that we should thank Rosen?

12 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I am sure the guys in the locker room will really appreciate his elitist attitude. It’s going to play really well.

https://mobile.twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/754012981793476608

JOSH ROSEN, UCLA

Kolton Miller, offensive tackle, on Rosen and rumors about his aloofness: "I disagree. Josh came in No. 1 high school guy, a little cocky, of course you hear off-campus stuff about him, but as the years went on he really matured, he's really well-rounded, he doesn't try to be more than what he has to be, a really good leader. I don't really have anything negative to say about him."

Miller on whether Rosen provided strong leadership: "Yeah, I would say so. He always did his work on the field and always off the field. He probably worked the hardest off the field. Really smart guy. Really well respected."

Miller on Rosen's coachability: "There's been some negative stigmas about him. Coming from a player, he's a great player, he does everything right, well rounded, nothing negative to say about him." 

Miller on the rumors of the team not rallying around Rosen: "No, I mean, our offense was a pretty tight clique. I don't believe that at all."

Scott Quessenberry, OL, on how Rosen handles adversity: "He performed great in situations where we needed him to perform great. When our backs were against the wall against Texas A&M, we looked to him to lead us and obviously he did that. I think he threw for over 470 yards, 4 touchdowns, all in the second half. When things go wrong and aren't looking the way you want them to look, Josh is a guy you want to have in the backfield commanding the offense and making all the throws and making all the reads."

Quessenberry on negative comments about Rosen: "I don't know where it comes from. It drives me insane. I have a really good relationship with Josh, and I think he'll tell you the same thing about me and we talk, and for him to get the rap that he gets, it's BS because of the type of guy that he is and the type of standup human being that he is and the type of pro that he's going to be. He's a great dude, I love hanging around him and being with him, and whoever gets him is extremely lucky. They're getting a once in a millennium talent in my opinion."

Quessenberry on getting along with Rosen: "I don't think he's hard to get along with. ... Is he opinionated? Yes. Everyone has their own opinions. Will he waver on his opinions? No. But I don't know when that's ever been a bad thing. Everyone gets along with him, he gets along with everybody but obviously no one in the world is going to see eye to eye on everything, so I don't know where that comes from. It drives me crazy, I can only imagine what it's like for him."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/josh_rosen_and_baker_mayfield.html

• Like (+1) 1

UCLA SAT:

Overall Male: 1307

Male Athlete: 998

https://thehuskyhaul.com/2012/05/16/comparing-the-acceptance-rates-of-athletes-to-the-general-public/

The irony in Rosen’s comments, of course, is that UCLA is one of the worst offenders in bending the rules for athletes.

As far as I can tell, no media outlet has picked up on this. But that is the sorry state of journalism these days.

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You keep missing the point....

And the article you posted doesn't have any football players.  It's swimmers, divers, softball and gymnasts.

And what does swimming, diving, softball and gymnastics have in common, and how do they differ from football?

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Economics isn't a difficult major? What planet are you from? 

Yea but what about Economic?  I think they offer that at 'Bama.....

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every Alabama football player should just be enrolled as Criminal Justice majors to prepare them for their time at Bama and afterwards. It would be the most practical degree offered

Yea their criminology course is practical lessons only.  

30 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

UCLA SAT:

Overall Male: 1307

Male Athlete: 998

https://thehuskyhaul.com/2012/05/16/comparing-the-acceptance-rates-of-athletes-to-the-general-public/

The irony in Rosen’s comments, of course, is that UCLA is one of the worst offenders in bending the rules for athletes.

As far as I can tell, no media outlet has picked up on this. But that is the sorry state of journalism these days.

And what does swimming, diving, softball and gymnastics have in common, and how do they differ from football?

Did you really ask how they differ from football?  You never played or know the environment  it’s obvious.  So you’re completely ignorant on the subject and yet you’re arguing about it....which makes you ignorant.  

Geezus dude, you’ve been acting like a stubborn 12 year old about all this....it’s pretty unbelievable.  You’re the “Leave Brittany Alone” guy when it comes to Alabama.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Name calling isn't becoming to you. I thought we were supposed to be thanking Rosen for sparking a debate? Isnt that what the article at Al.com says that you keep linking? Now that there is a debate you are having a hissy fit.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/instead_of_hating_josh_rosen_f.html

As a group, what is different between swimming, diving, softball and gymnastics and football?

Even though the 75th percentile ACT results between UCLA and Alabama are nearly identical, why do you think that the 25th percentile results are so different?

Put on your thinking cap.

Edited by Sky Diver
typo

Joshua Dobbs played QB for a big time college program and earned a degree in Aerospace Engineering, arguably the most difficult engineering degree. 

http://espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/115511/joshua-dobbs-aerospace-engineering-and-five-more-cfb-players-with-crazy-majors

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can I play? 0:)

Rosen said that it’s too hard to play football and do academics, so it must not be true. We all know that Rosen is god-like with his superior intelligence and intellect.

Edited by Sky Diver

On 4/4/2018 at 5:38 PM, Sky Diver said:

He was using himself as an example but Rosen was talking to the larger picture of college athletes.   At major programs he feels that the players are steered to take easier course loads to ensure eligibility over taking classes that challenge them mentally.   He than again used an issue he faced that with his athletic obligations there were programs and majors he was not eligible for.  With that kind of institutional control its naive to then hide behind its all about receiving a higher learning when the majority of the time it is not.  There are outliers in every school.  That players had a goal going in and wanted to obtain a higher learning.  The point is not to look at the high achievers, its to look at the median .  The majority of the players are not pushed to achieve more, they are pushed to stay eligible. 

Grizzled "old school coach" to his player (with spit flying everywhere): NOW RUN THROUGH THAT BRICK WALL SON! Knock that sumofagun over! Hit it straight on, full speed!

Player: Coach, I could just walk around it. Save my body from taking that type of impact...

Coach: Damn millennials! I SAID BASH YOUR SKULL INTO THOSE BRICKS SON! DO IT NOW! Scramble those two brain cells you have in there! I want to be able to scoop custard out of your ears!

Player: I'm already past the wall coach!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I don’t really what Rosen feels, or that he allegedly couldn’t register for a course he needed. He’s a 21 yr old that can throw a ball.

Where are the facts and data?

I have not played top collegiate football or basketball so I can only go off a player who has lived it.  His perception and experience is more viable and relevant to me than a SEC media guide.

Multi Billion dollar business model artificially design to keep the money in the pockets of a few over the individuals that  create the product themselves.  Ballsy for a 21 year old to throw some shade at it.  An entitled rich kid doesn't show empathy for less fortunate teammates.  Being smart is not red flag to me. 

Edited by Mat68

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I have not played top collegiate football or basketball so I can only go off a player who has lived it.  His perception and experience is more viable and relevant to me than a SEC media guide.

Multi Billion dollar business model artificially design to keep the money in the pockets of a few over the individuals that  create the product themselves.  Ballsy for a 21 year old to throw some shade at it.  An entitled rich kid doesn't show empathy for less fortunate teammates.  Being smart is not red flag to me. 

Please enlighten me on what he said that so smart and insightful and then perhaps we can have an intelligent discussion.

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Please enlighten me on what he said that so smart and insightful and then perhaps we can have an intelligent discussion.

Indentured Servitude. Many docs about how NCAA designed the system to push Billions to school at the expense of the college athlete. 

Just go watch “Schooled” 

Edited by MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You would need to read the whole interview about his feelings toward big time college athletics.  Its been discussed.  You disagree with his assessment of big time college athletics.  I tend to agree with him and have no problem about what he said.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

You would need to read the whole interview about his feelings toward big time college athletics.  Its been discussed.  You disagree with his assessment of big time college athletics.  I tend to agree with him and have no problem about what he said.  

That would require him actually reading the article, instead of formulating an opinion without, you know, reading it.

The football program at Alabama is adding money to the general fund and is helping the university attract elite students from all over the country. The majority of students are from out of state.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

About 84% of the football players at Alabama graduate with their degrees.

"Alabama is one of seven programs that recorded a 100-percent graduation rate for members of its 2010 freshman football class. Joining the Tide this year are Cincinnati, Middle Tennessee, Northwestern, Utah, Utah State and Virginia."

http://www.rolltide.com/news/2017/12/6/alabama-football-shares-2017-afca-academic-achievement-award.aspx

Great football and great academics.

Edited by Sky Diver