RUMOR: Browns to take Wyoming QB Josh Allen #1 Overall per Peter King

28 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Who does Cleveland have to smoke out?  They pick one.  The reason the first picks usually gets leaked because they have no one to deceive.  Once they figure out who they want at 1 they move onto to 4 where that is a position they would leak mis-information.

Even if they dont have to fool anyone do you really think dorsey is gonna take Allen over all other prospects? Picking at #1 you want a sure fire hit. Allen is probobly the biggest boom or bust prospect. Quote me now. They wont be taking allen at #1. Darnolds a better prospect with more accuracy and college production.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

On that fact alone, any QB that has a shot to be a long-term franchise guy should be a first-round pick. 

Every QB has a shot to be a franchise QB. You're basically saying no team should ever draft a QB outside of the 1st round which is crazy.

18 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Even if they dont have to fool anyone do you really think dorsey is gonna take Allen over all other prospects? Picking at #1 you want a sure fire hit. Allen is probobly the biggest boom or bust prospect. Quote me now. They wont be taking allen at #1. Darnolds a better prospect with more accuracy and college production.

He took Mahomes over Watson and Newton over Gabbert (which was actually thing back in that draft).  It is def a possibility.  Allen has made more NFL throws than Darnold this past year.  Darnold led the NCAA in turnovers.  Allen's Oregon and Iowa games are on par with Darnold's performance vs Ohio St.  They are much closer than some talking heads would have you believe.  I 100% believe Allen is in consideration and wont be surprised that he goes 1.  If both guys reach their potential who end up being better?  Do I think Darnold has a higher probability of being successful?  I do but I also see Allen as a bit of a unicorn who with proper coaching could be special.  Ive said this for a while now.  Do not forget how arrogant coaches are.  They all believe they are the best and will be able to get all that potential out of him.

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Every QB has a shot to be a franchise QB. You're basically saying no team should ever draft a QB outside of the 1st round which is crazy.

Yes, to stash a guy and let them learn, possibly developing to a future replacement or trade-able asset.  However, that is not the first place you go to find a starter.  That is what you do after you have one.  right now Buffalo does not have one.  Even Russell Wilson wasn't suppose to start.  Seatlle gave Flynn a massive deal and expected him to be the starter.  

9 minutes ago, Dalton said:

The delta in the ceiling between Darnold and Allen is smaller than the delta between them in the floor.

To me this is a clear risk management decision and Cleveland will select Darnold as a result.

Agree, but i don't think Hasslam is risk averse.  Imo Wentz sits in his mind today.  He does not want to make that mistake twice.  Both Darnold and Allen should sit a year.  Its not a surprise that Allen could go one.  If Darnold was as polished as Rosen sure, but Darnold is not as clean a prospect as the media perceives him to be.  With the age of the QB pool Imo you are going to see QBs drafted on potenial in a more of a NBA way than the NFL has normally operated.  They are not drafting 20-21 year old Qbs on what they were in January but what they think they will be in next year and the year following.  

Edited by Mat68

On 4/2/2018 at 2:14 PM, SoCoBills said:

Take it for what it’s worth. If true then wow, the Browns are still the Browns. What a mistake in the making. 

UPDATE: Broadcast by some social media pages as fact and some more reputable sources as more of a strong rumor. 

This only bodes well for the Bills IF NYG doesn’t take Darnold.  They are rumored to be interested in Jim.  Drafting Darnold all but ensures that QB’s are going 1-3.  It forces the Bills to trade up to #5 to get Mayfield or Rosen

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Ryan Tannehill has been a very mediocre NFL QB. As a top 10 pick he's not a success. Not a complete failure, but he's done nothing to elevate the Dolphins.

Flacco is an obvious outlier. 

Matt Ryan carried a mediocre BC team to a top 10 ranking and a 10 win season as a Senior. He finished 7th in the Heisman Vote in 2007. 

There are obviously exceptions, but if you look at how many mediocre QBs get drafted to the NFL, and how few of them actually make it as Franchise Guys, the odds are overwhelmingly slanted towards these type of guys never becoming anything more than backups at the pro level.  

The QBs I have with a 1st round grade this year are Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Jackson. I think they could all start this year and have about a 50% chance of becoming really good pros. 

The next tier for me is Allen, Lauletta and Rudolph. I'd consider picking them in the 3rd or 4th round. I think they each have less than a 10% chance of becoming a really good pro QB. 

I wouldn't use a draft pick on any other QB. I'd rather draft a player who can actually contribute on special teams and possibly develop into a good backup. 

There are also countless examples of highly successful QBs at the college level who do little at the NFL level. 

Edited by Hsker4life

19 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Or the Giants just take Barkley like has been rumored, the Jets take Baker and we are getting teams calling us for extra picks while we decide between Rosen and Darnold.

The only way this is true is the Giants interest in Darnold is a total smoke screen.

The way Gettlemen spoke of Eli it would make sense for them to go positional player instead of QB.  But with how the Manning/Luck scenario turned out i'm not one to risk that.

12 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

The only way this is true is the Giants interest in Darnold is a total smoke screen.

The way Gettlemen spoke of Eli it would make sense for them to go positional player instead of QB.  But with how the Manning/Luck scenario turned out i'm not one to risk that.

I believe smokescreen.  I think they view Eli as having plenty in the tank and the Mara's think very highly of him.  Benching him last year basically got everyone involved in the decision fired.  I just think they are going to go with a player that's going to help Eli succeed (Barkley).

Anyone that thinks Gettleman isn't considering a QB isnt being 100% rational. The guy has apparently turned us down to trade up multiple times according to Gelko.

The Giants have zero reason to stay put if they arent considering a QB

Barkley as good as he is, you cant justify taking a RB second overall in this class, you just cant.

Chubb, an exceptional player, no two ways about it. Maybe gettleman thinks they can recapture something with a stout defense. However, the d is changing from a 43 to a 34, no telling if it will garner immediate success. While Chubb is versatile and could absolutely play in a 34, there is no telling if guys like Vernon can, and could see almost a Rex Ryan effect to some of the players on that roster.

In turn, Chubb may not really be that, win now type of pick.

To me if Darnold is there I think the Giants absolutely pounce. If not, I think with all the Cam Newton comparisons, Gettleman could strongly consider Allen. The highest ceiling (I disagree with that notion but) but needs time and needs to develop. Perfect situation. Smith/Mahomes part two.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Nope.

I'm saying that first-round QBs should be limited to guys that you believe has the potential to be a long-term franchise QB.  If you don't think he's got that, then you don't draft him in the first.  Guys on day 2 should be those that you think you can win with if the rest of your team is excellent; those aren't franchise guys.  Day 3 guys are long-term backups.

If you don't think a guy can ever become an NFL QB, then you shouldn't be drafting him.

Solak | The path to success with Josh Allen at #1 overall
“I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend…”

But seriously, it’s all okay. Football is a game. There will be more drafts, and new players, and the wheel of life will rumble on, careless of your moaning and groaning when the Browns select Wyoming QB Josh Allen with the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Just breathe.

While Allen represents the largest gamble–by far–of all the quarterbacks rumored to go in the first round, there still is a path on which he finds great success in the NFL. It’s narrow, bumpy, and covered with pitfalls–that’s what makes him risky–but at its end we find a top-flight NFL quarterback. One that defensive coordinators dread having to face, given his mobility and creativity; that defensive linemen can never seem to drag down; that corners can’t beat, no matter how close their coverage is.

Again, I’m not gonna tell you it’s likely–it’s rather the opposite. It would be an astounding outlier by multiple projections, analytic and film-oriented alike. But the path exists, and I’m one for optimism.

Once you have a player, there’s no reason to bemoan the prospects over which you passed, the outcomes that could have been. The bed is made–let’s see how best to lie in it.

This is how to succeed with Josh Allen.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 4/11/2018 at 10:32 AM, jrober38 said:

Ryan Tannehill has been a very mediocre NFL QB. As a top 10 pick he's not a success. Not a complete failure, but he's done nothing to elevate the Dolphins.

Flacco is an obvious outlier. 

Matt Ryan carried a mediocre BC team to a top 10 ranking and a 10 win season as a Senior. He finished 7th in the Heisman Vote in 2007. 

There are obviously exceptions, but if you look at how many mediocre QBs get drafted to the NFL, and how few of them actually make it as Franchise Guys, the odds are overwhelmingly slanted towards these type of guys never becoming anything more than backups at the pro level.  

The QBs I have with a 1st round grade this year are Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Jackson. I think they could all start this year and have about a 50% chance of becoming really good pros. 

The next tier for me is Allen, Lauletta and Rudolph. I'd consider picking them in the 3rd or 4th round. I think they each have less than a 10% chance of becoming a really good pro QB. 

I wouldn't use a draft pick on any other QB. I'd rather draft a player who can actually contribute on special teams and possibly develop into a good backup. 

I think Tannehill was on an upward path until he got hurt in 2016. This is his make or break year, and I expect him to be pretty good (at least).