Le’Veon Bell - worth $17 mill/yr?

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I'm a fan of McCoy and dont want to see hin traded, but no way philly doesnt laugh at that trade proposal

Philly would be looking for McCoy and one of the Bills firsts for probably just Foles (maybe they throw in a later pick too)

McCoy is an older RB, Foles is a QB and SB MVP now.  Why would they be giving up more to get the older RB when, as the narrative around here goes, RBs ate a dime a dozen and can be found anywhere?

Why is the market for foles that high???

52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This holds especially true when you factor in his receiving skills. Shady is our best pass catcher now, imo and Bell is even better at that. He could be a 1,300 yard back with 70 catches to go along with it. Outside of Shady our skill players are bad. Bell could cover a lot of that taking over for McCoy.

Steelers use him for another 400 touches this year and it's gotta be a hard pass.    YPC drops in both run and receive.   Injury history.   Drug history.    I think the new tackling rules should help guys like him get a bit more longevity but no thanks on giving a 7th year RB with baggage an $80-$90M 5 year deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He would be our best QB AND best WR :ph34r:

Hate you.

Seriously, I know the X's and O's as good as anyone and never understand the value some of these guys have and it just dumbfounds me.

Foles is the latest Ryan Fitzpatrick or at best Ginny testeverde

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I agree with you, it shouldn't be, but that's where the eagles are attempting to set it. Other teams might not be cooperating with them though given there comments at the owners meetings that Foles will start the season in Philly. They do have experience in this, I understand it was a panic move, but Bradford wasn't worth a first imo. They're trying to do the same with Foles.

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Hate you.

Seriously, I know the X's and O's as good as anyone and never understand the value some of these guys have and it just dumbfounds me.

Foles is the latest Ryan Fitzpatrick or at best Ginny testeverde

It would be even better if Ginny testeverde was due to autocorrect on your phone. 

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Whilst that may or may not be true Phili wants McCoy and needs him for any chance to repeat.

They don't need foles. 

Come draft day they could bite on that idea.  And I've never got the feeling that McCoy was going to play here long.

And the way the draft is looking he could; 4 QBs will go top 5, a lot could happen.

Your speculation is more likely accurate than mine but so what, ideas are fun. 

Ideas are fun

Ideas that are completely unrealistic don't make sense though

No. He's trying to get the market established before Gurley's contract comes due because the Rams won't be able to afford anything near that and that is the contract that will set the ceiling for halfbacks if he outproduces Bell again in 2018. Steelers played this well, Bell is definitely a top 3 RB in the league but there simply isn't the value there, especially when you look at the production you can get from rookies on their wage scale. 

That said, he deserves everything he can finagle and I don't blame him for trying to maximize his value at possibly the most punishing position in football. Good luck to him.

55 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Philly has stated numerous times that they want:

BETTER than a 1st and a 4th for Foles, and if not, they will keep him.

This isn't made up.

That means they would have to value McCoy as a better than a 1st and 3rd PLUS give back another 2nd with Foles.

What the hell drugs are you on, and where can I get some??

Or your second scenario is giving

McCoy + 2nd for 

Philly 1st and Foles?

What??

Then you think Barkley will even be there at 8?

Just stop posting these trades you come up with, it's obvious you have no idea what the hell you are talking about and no concept of reality with these suggestions.

Don't need to be a **"" if they aren't acting like an ***"""".

50 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Whilst that may or may not be true Phili wants McCoy and needs him for any chance to repeat.

They don't need foles. 

Come draft day they could bite on that idea.  And I've never got the feeling that McCoy was going to play here long.

And the way the draft is looking he could; 4 QBs will go top 5, a lot could happen.

Your speculation is more likely accurate than mine but so what, ideas are fun. 

There are RBs in the draft still.

36 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It's not.  That is why he is still an Eagle.

Why not? He's the best dual threat offensive player in the league. If an often injured WR whose posted (1) 1000 yard campaign in 4 seasons and barely is over 3k in his career can get 16 million a year then why shouldn't the best RB in football? From a team perspective, no. No GM would but he is the best at what he does and has proven it for years now.

BTW: The WR's name sounds like Whammy Samkins.

Edited by billsbackto81

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Shady just led our team in receptions and rushing yards...

we should pay him like a #1 WR and running back ??

Bells a beast but it don't work like that

its as if bell thinks he's the first RB to ever catch a bunch of passes out of the backfield...  I live in erie, pa. right on the outskirts of "stiller" country. he has been BELOVED by that fan base for most of his stay and even they have now grown cold on him. they are all fed up and ready to move on. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Make no mistake, Bell is the most important cog on that team.  I understand where he's coming from and appreciate that he wants top RBs true value to be shown in $$$ signs, but no.  No team is trying up that much cap in a RB. 

LeVeon isn't that much better than Zeke Elliott and I think Todd Gurley is the best in the game right now.

The devaluing of the RB position is ridiculous.  Todd Gurley was ROBBED of the MVP simply because he wasn't a QB.  He had a phenomenal year - all time level shizz- and the Rams would be a 5 or 6 win team without him.

Edited by Chicken Boo

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s older, and yes he is worth it but some people still complain about his salary 

People complain about everything in life... 

we have a future HoF in our backfield who is gonna run wild next year and show everybody that 30 year old RBs can kick *** and take names

He was one of the fastest players in the NFL last year, he isn't slowing down yet lol

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

There is no RB worth 17M. You can replace that production with 2 decent RBs for way less. It's the one position where redundancy makes more sense than a superstar. 

No you cannot!  If it were that easy, every team would be doing it.  I get what you're saying, but it's an exaggeration.

Bilal Powell and Isaiah Crowell aren't replicating the impact of Bell.  He is special.

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

fairly miserable place to live during a regular year..... let alone one with 193 inches of snow. haha. 

I make it a point to get off at Peach St any time I'm heading west. Worth it for the Krispy Kreme alone.

• Like (+1) 1

After 2004, the Steelers let Plaxico Burress go. They won the SB the next season.

After 2009, they let Santonio Holmes go. They went to the Super Bowl the next season.

Both Burress and Holmes were really, really good for the Steelers.  The team didn't miss a beat after their departures, however, because they had an elite QB and other good young talent who replaced the people who left fairly easily. 

To paraphrase Charles DeGaulle, the graves are filled with indispensable running backs. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

I make it a point to get off at Peach St any time I'm heading west. Worth it for the Krispy Kreme alone.

haha. we made a trip up there just for that, this last sunday! quick treat for the kids. we live 10 min south in the town of Waterford.... small world man.

There is no RB worth 17M. You can replace that production with 2 decent RBs for way less. It's the one position where redundancy makes more sense than a superstar. 

I just wish people would stop it with the HB stuff.   This is about a playmaker on your team that just happens to be playing HB.  He's a playmaker first.  If he does that for my offense it doesn't matter what position he plays he deserves to get paid.  Now, as someone else has already said, I would knock it down slightly due to him missing games for being suspended and hurt, but not by much.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

After 2004, the Steelers let Plaxico Burress go. They won the SB the next season.

After 2009, they let Santonio Holmes go. They went to the Super Bowl the next season.

Both Burress and Holmes were really, really good for the Steelers.  The team didn't miss a beat after their departures, however, because they had an elite QB and other good young talent who replaced the people who left fairly easily. 

To paraphrase Charles DeGaulle, the graves are filled with indispensable running backs. 

Yeah but let's be honest the Steelers defense carried those teams, not Big Ben and since their defense has fallen off they haven't been back to the SB.  That's not to say that Ben didn't have a par in their championship years because he did, but their defense was really good on those teams to the point that they probably lose the SB to Arizona if it were not for Harrison's TD.  Take that TD off the board and they don't win the game.  Yet Ben's TD in the clutch to Holmes is not to be overlooked.  I'm starting to hate the QB is Jesus narrative as well LOL.  QB can't do anything if there is nothing around him.  Elite QB's are winners not because they are Elite.  They are winners because their team is Elite.  Brees is an elite QB that made it to the mountaintop 1 time and has missed the playoffs more than he's made it.  Phillip Rivers can say the same thing.  When the team is elite, elite QB's are winners.  When you just have an elite QB with no elite team around him who cares??  His name will go down in history with all the other losers.

To add to DeGaulle's statement, the graves are also filled with elite QBs who amounted to nothing without an elite team surrounding them.

No two scrubs can equal Bell.  Pay the Man!

19 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I just wish people would stop it with the HB stuff.   This is about a playmaker on your team that just happens to be playing HB.  He's a playmaker first.  If he does that for my offense it doesn't matter what position he plays he deserves to get paid.  Now, as someone else has already said, I would knock it down slightly due to him missing games for being suspended and hurt, but not by much.

Yeah but let's be honest the Steelers defense carried those teams, not Big Ben and since their defense has fallen off they haven't been back to the SB.  That's not to say that Ben didn't have a par in their championship years because he did, but their defense was really good on those teams to the point that they probably lose the SB to Arizona if it were not for Harrison's TD.  Take that TD off the board and they don't win the game.  Yet Ben's TD in the clutch to Holmes is not to be overlooked.  I'm starting to hate the QB is Jesus narrative as well LOL.  QB can't do anything if there is nothing around him.  Elite QB's are winners not because they are Elite.  They are winners because their team is Elite.  Brees is an elite QB that made it to the mountaintop 1 time and has missed the playoffs more than he's made it.  Phillip Rivers can say the same thing.  When the team is elite, elite QB's are winners.  When you just have an elite QB with no elite team around him who cares??  His name will go down in history with all the other losers.

To add to DeGaulle's statement, the graves are also filled with elite QBs who amounted to nothing without an elite team surrounding them.

The Steelers have decades of history of replacing skill-position pieces with good newcomers as long as the QB is good. I trust their process. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Steelers have decades of history of replacing skill-position pieces with good newcomers as long as the QB is good. I trust their process. 

While this is true, my point was not that.  My point is playmakers need to be paid regardless of what position they play and Bell is a playmaker that just happens to play HB.  I'm not even making the case that the Steelers should be the team to pay him.  All I'm saying is in general playmakers should be paid.

3 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

While this is true, my point was not that.  My point is playmakers need to be paid regardless of what position they play and Bell is a playmaker that just happens to play HB.  I'm not even making the case that the Steelers should be the team to pay him.  All I'm saying is in general playmakers should be paid.

I agree with that. I just think he's replaceable. It's a great draft year for RBs, and to my eye Bell is no better at this point than Kamara. There will be another Kamara this year; there always is. The Steelers are pretty good at finding those guys.  Christ, DeAngelo Williams had a GREAT season the year Bell went down four games into the season: 907 yards, 11 TDs, 4.5 ypc, 40 receptions on 47 targets, and 9.2 yards per reception.

Edited by dave mcbride