Jim Kelly Cancer Recovery - Final Surgery Scheduled for 11/28/18

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Fantastic news. 

I was worried when he said something came up. 

I would have been even more worried if I knew he was going today.  He had originally said he was going I think the 2nd week of August because something came up. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are correct . I double checked and we are correct . He never chewed or smoked 

Wow, not that anyone deserves cancer, but that would have made more sense.  The craziest part is my brother, who was an angel most of his life, suddenly started becoming a chewer.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow, not that anyone deserves cancer, but that would have made more sense.  The craziest part is my brother, who was an angel most of his life, suddenly started becoming a chewer.

I don't have a single memory of seeing Jim Kelly chew tobacco back in the day.  You can see that little round can in the ass pocket of most baseball players, or a random shot will show them "putting a pinch between their cheek and gum" in the dugout...but I have no memory of anything like that with Jimbo.

I guess it makes sense if he never chewed. 

31 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't have a single memory of seeing Jim Kelly chew tobacco back in the day.  You can see that little round can in the ass pocket of most baseball players, or a random shot will show them "putting a pinch between their cheek and gum" in the dugout...but I have no memory of anything like that with Jimbo.

I guess it makes sense if he never chewed. 

I was guessing with hunting and booze, it won’t have been terribly shocking if he did.  It’s kinda amazing how many people do it still.  I remember doing it a few times (baseball) and just feeling like I was drooling all over myself. 

Great news about Jim!!! So hard to see your childhood heroes struggle, but he is more of a hero to me now in adulthood than he ever was in my youth.  His strength, perseverance and unrelenting faith are a true inspiration, never once has he conveyed a "why me???" attitude.

Also, even though he wasn't a "chewer", there are other ways to get oral cancers, ranging from Alcohol use, HPV, or just bad luck/genetic disposition.  Michael Douglas' throat cancer was caused by HPV from oral sex (by his own admission). I was completely unaware of this possibility until I read his interview, but men have a harder time ridding themselves of the super common Human Papilloma Virus which can mutate into cancer.   So not going down on random people is a good preventive step... but just about everything can give you cancer, soooo, when in Rome?

Edited by ThunderGun
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

Great news about Jim!!! So hard to see your childhood heroes struggle, but he is more of a hero to me now in adulthood than he ever was in my youth.  His strength, perseverance and unrelenting faith are a true inspiration, never once has he conveyed a "why me???" attitude.

Also, even though he wasn't a "chewer", there are other ways to get oral cancers, ranging from Alcohol use, HPV, or just bad luck/genetic disposition.  Michael Douglas' throat cancer was caused by HPV from oral sex (by his own admission). I was completely unaware of this possibility until I read his interview, but men have a harder time ridding themselves of the super common Human Papillona Virus which can mutate into cancer.   So not going down on random people is a good preventive step... but just about everything can give you cancer, soooo, when in Rome?

Not to make light of a serious subject but as if I needed another reason not to!

On 3/28/2018 at 10:18 PM, TigerJ said:

The good news is that Jim Kelly's surgery is an indication that testing did not find metasticized cancer in other parts of the body.  I wouldn't be surprised if he underwent more chemo in case there are undetectable cancers elsewhere, but there is still hope he can beat this.

On 3/28/2018 at 10:18 PM, TigerJ said:

The good news is that Jim Kelly's surgery is an indication that testing did not find metasticized cancer in other parts of the body.  I wouldn't be surprised if he underwent more chemo in case there are undetectable cancers elsewhere, but there is still hope he can beat this.

That is indeed great news that it has not metasicized.  The same surgeon that performed Jim’s first procedudre , Tom Lorre, also performed a brilliant partial tracheotomy on my older brother.  What Jim is going thru now is far beyond any doctor in WNY.

It was so great to see him on stage getting the Valvano award, and to see him still running his camp for youngsters.

Long may you run, Jim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Jim Kelly Cancer Recovery

What doctors, Jill Kelly are saying about Jim Kelly's latest surgery

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - Bills Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly is on the mend following another successful surgery.

Doctors at Mount Sinai West in New York City said Kelly "underwent a successful restorative procedure to establish a functional denture fixed to his reconstructed upper jaw."

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:35 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm happy to hear Jimbo is doing well following surgery,  but I cant lie it hurts my heart, and brings tears to my eyes to see my all-time favorite Bills player look so fragile.  

Cancer can kiss my a$$. I just found out today that my uncle Reggie has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.   My mom's baby brother by 5 years, this is the man who introduced me to Buffalo Bills football.  I was born in Buffalo but my mom moved with me to Northern Virginia when I was just one.  My uncle Reggie is the one, out of 9 other aunts and uncles, who always came to visit me in Virginia, and brought my my first Bills jersey... it was in 1981, and that players name was Joe Cribbs.  He took me to my first Bills game, at then Rich Stadium, and aside from myself has remained loyal to our Bills our whole lives.  40 something years later, whenever he comes to visit me, he ALWAYS brings me a Bills treat, whether it be a Bills t shirt, yearly calendar, or even just a Bills refrigerator magnet.  Those little gifts are priceless to me, and even though my only child is a little girl, he bought her her first Bills onesie. He will forever be what Buffalo Bills football and the city of Buffalo means to me....everything.  

Please keep uncle Reggie in your prayers y'all,  and thank you for taking the time to listen....Go Bills

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 9/7/2018 at 5:05 PM, smuvtalker said:

I'm happy to hear Jimbo is doing well following surgery,  but I cant lie it hurts my heart, and brings tears to my eyes to see my all-time favorite Bills player look so fragile.  

Cancer can kiss my a$$. I just found out today that my uncle Reggie has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.   My mom's baby brother by 5 years, this is the man who introduced me to Buffalo Bills football.  I was born in Buffalo but my mom moved with me to Northern Virginia when I was just one.  My uncle Reggie is the one, out of 9 other aunts and uncles, who always came to visit me in Virginia, and brought my my first Bills jersey... it was in 1981, and that players name was Joe Cribbs.  He took me to my first Bills game, at then Rich Stadium, and aside from myself has remained loyal to our Bills our whole lives.  40 something years later, whenever he comes to visit me, he ALWAYS brings me a Bills treat, whether it be a Bills t shirt, yearly calendar, or even just a Bills refrigerator magnet.  Those little gifts are priceless to me, and even though my only child is a little girl, he bought her her first Bills onesie. He will forever be what Buffalo Bills football and the city of Buffalo means to me....everything.  

Please keep uncle Reggie in your prayers y'all,  and thank you for taking the time to listen....Go Bills

I'll definitely keep Uncle Reggie in my prayers.  He sounds like quite a guy! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

I'll definitely keep Uncle Reggie in my prayers.  He sounds like quite a guy! 

Thank you so much....he's the GOAT to me.  Every Sunday morning, during football season, for the past however many years we've both had cell phones, he sends me a text that says, "Let's go Buffalo!  Let's line em up and lay the wood!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/7/2018 at 5:05 PM, smuvtalker said:

He sounds like a great guy! We are all here for only a brief time. The real test, what really matters, is what we do with that time. I’ll pray for Reggie, but without even meeting him I can tell he used his time here well. He will be fine in the long run. God bless Reggie. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

He sounds like a great guy! We are all here for only a brief time. The real test, what really matters, is what we do with that time. I’ll pray for Reggie, but without even meeting him I can tell he’s using his time here well. He will be fine in the long run. God bless Reggie. 

Thank you so much....from the bottom of my heart!

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Thanks 26CB. Everything I always loved about #12 while he played is still nothing compared to the type of person he's been off the field since he left the game behind--and has stood down a tougher foe in cancer while doing so. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the Yukon trip was seriously in question.....a grueling big game hunt that was huge work....yet Kelly Tough showed up and did it despite all odds....ain't no quit.....:thumbsup:

Seems like he's still there:

• 1 month later...

Jim’s ESPY speech was beyond inspiring.  I think about it whenever something comes up that I consider challenging - which of course is always minuscule compared to what he has had to face and battle.

Best wishes to him and his family.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Jim Kelly Cancer Recovery - Final Surgery Scheduled for 11/28/18