Bills have private workout with Baker Mayfield

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

Yeah - Mayfield's my first choice too - but this ^^^ is probably the situation - the Bills don't really control their own destiny on this - they need to be agile and smart the whole way though the draft - fortunately agile and smart is exactly what Brandon Beane appears to be!

I think Beane, Gettleman, and all these GM's are being thorough and patient. These are decisions that could get them fired, and I totally get them all being patient and methodical. IMHO, at the end of the day on April 26th, we will be @2 drafting Rosen!

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

This is Beane to the Jets if Bills are able to trade up to 2 and take Mayfield (or another QB) before the Jets can

mayfieldgrab.gif

I would be thrilled with either Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield.  If the Jets want Mayfield, then I really hope we trade up to #2 to get him....then hope we open up on the road at the NY.

2 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

too short for the NFL

Which is why it was a mistake for the Saints to sign Brees and the Seahawks drafting Russell Wilson.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I really wonder if the Browns are willing to move out of 4 and what the price is, as much as I want #2, going to 4 right now might be the play.  If the Giants decide to pass on QB, the price to go from 4 to 2, with them 100% sure QBs go 1-3 (and the added benefit of screwing the Jets) could decrease significantly.

The price for a pick swap for San Fran and Chicago last year was a pick in the 60s and one in the 90s.  If the Giants are asking for 3 1sts and more for #2, while the Browns would take #12 / #22 / #65 to make the move, we could make the move to #4 now to ensure one of the "Big 4", then flip to #2 with something like #4 / #53 / #97.  Walk out not touching 2019 and keeping 1 2nd.

Yes I think you're right.   Sticking to a general trade up chart value system, the trade to #4 allows us to keep BOTH second round picks vs trading up to #2 which basically crushes our entire draft until 3rd round.   No matter what anyone says,  there is still a very large amount of guesswork involved on which qb is going to be better than the other one.   We need those 2nd round picks

29 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

This is Beane to the Jets if Bills are able to trade up to 2 and take Mayfield (or another QB) before the Jets can

mayfieldgrab.gif

That's very Losman like.  Not a popular guy.  Remember that Troy Vincent laid Losman out for this type of immaturity and trying to show up folks. 

Edited by VABills

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Which is why it was a mistake for the Saints to sign Brees and the Seahawks drafting Russell Wilson.

The other side of the coin is that you can only name 2 guys that were short and worth drafting high.

2!  That's it.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The other side of the coin is that you can only name 2 guys that were short and worth drafting high.

2!  That's it.

Some of the same people are saying it’s not worth trading up for QB because of Leaf and Jamarcus Russell, but it’s worth taking Baker because of Brees and Wilson. 

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

2!  That's it.

And, actually Brees was a 2nd round pick and Wilson of course a 3rd....soooooo, there's that....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billspro said:

I have never been more nervous for a draft. 

Nah. What's the worst that could happen? The team stays in 6-10/9-7 mediocrity? We're certainly not going back to the "Dark Ages" of 2006-2013 due to the quality of people we have running the ship. 

If Pegula could only get those people over to Canalside and turn that flaming turd around.......

42 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Some of the same people are saying it’s not worth trading up for QB because of Leaf and Jamarcus Russell, but it’s worth taking Baker because of Brees and Wilson. 

What's the cost? Most teams with good QBs spent only one draft pick for them. That's a lot less risk. The reward is big if you hit, but if you don't you paid a huge price to find out. I think they should try to move up to get a QB. If Mayfield fell into their lap at 12 it's absolutely worth a shot. I don't think he falls that far though , contrary to the USA Today mock. 

35 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Could the Bills move up to #6 now, and then still have enough to move from #6 to #2 on draft day.

For those who want Mayfield.....

IMG_20180321_125911.jpg

You would not move up to 6 now. There's no way to predict if the player you want will even be there.NYG at 2 would be a sensible target pre draft. Anything else should probably wait unless there is already an indication from NYG that the lack of a top ten pick is the holdup, not just an unwillingness to trade out of the 2 slot. 

In reading Beane's comments about what he looks for in a franchise QB, it doesn't quite line up with what Mayfield brings to the table. His height is a factor, so he's going to be less consistent with making plays inside the pocket. Beane has stated that all the contenders in the league have QBs that consistently make plays from the pocket. Beane also mentioned size and arm strength (he actually mentioned arm strength a lot when most scouts/executives are coming around to the fact that accuracy is more important that a strong arm). Mayfield's arm looks fine to me, but again, his size. Beane also mentioned Cam and QBs of that size and how they don't have to worry about finding lanes and windows to see through because they can see over the linemen in front of them. 

At the same time, a lot of scouts (both those anonymous scout quotes you read and the media guys) have said that if Mayfield was 6'2" he'd be an easy consensus for #1 overall. 

I don't mind Mayfield's attitude either. I don't think he's anywhere close to being Manziel v2.0. Manziel was hyped up his whole life, he was "da man" all through high school and college and that stuff inflated his ego. Mayfield was a walk-on who's earned everything he has and if it were me in that situation, sh*t, I'd have some swagger to my personality as well. Who doesn't want a confident QB and team leader? Why wouldn't teammates rally around a guy who isn't intimidated and looks at opponents with the mindset of, "Yeah, we're gonna knock the snot outta these guys." So what if he doesn't 100% embody the character McBeane are looking for? I've said this before, I sincerely hope McBeane and co. do not emphasize character so much so that they pass on a super talented player because of some minor character defects. If you're a good leader and you've built a strong, unified locker room, then you should absolutely have the confidence to draft players that may not fully check the character box because you know your team leaders will be able to take the guy in and familiarize him with the make-up of the team.

• Like (+1) 1