The Mighty McCarron

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Better hype up McCarron just in case we don’t get a shot at a top QB. Gives us some hope heading into next season. 

Strong defense coupled with strong running attack puts us on par with Jacksonville who went to the conference title game.  We don't need 350 yards and 4 td's from our QB starter each game.  We just need significantly better than TT.  Maybe 280 yds, 2 TD's (two TD's from the running backs) , and one INT (two on occasion) per game.   Reasonably efficient as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm not saying AJ won't be an upgrade over Tyrod but they both have one thing in common.  Both weren't good enough to dethrone  Flacco or Dalton. I view McCarron as a good insurance policy. We still have to draft someone  (other than Allen) from this class.

Is that a bad thing? The two of them are healthy, successful NFL QBs. I don't care how good you are as a backup QB - if the guy in front of you doesn't get injured or doesn't supremely suck, you own the clipboard. 

Neither of those guys is/were great, but they are in the upper middle strata of the NFL and ain't nobody replacing the vested interest with 4th or 5th round backups. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

You jined after BBMB clsed, so you don't know what I said for two years.  I supported him as the best QB on the team which is exactly what he was.  You didn't catch me saying they should not try to upgrade in each offseason.  Nevertheless, what does that have to do with McCarron when the Bills have a chance to grab a prospect to finally fill the void at QB?

I think it’s been 2 years? No? Eh maybe only 1. I personally think McCarron is better then Tyrod and I don’t think he will be over hyped. I think he’s better then people realize. I too wanted to move up and get either Darnold or Rosen but I think today really hurt us. I wouldn’t waste any more time and give another team a shot to go to 2. I would do anything in my power to get to 2 tonight regardless of cost. I know we won’t do that, I really think today is a very bad day for the Bills and might have derailed a long term plan.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Strong defense coupled with strong running attack puts us on par with Jacksonville who went to the conference title game.  We don't need 350 yards and 4 td's from our QB starter each game.  We just need significantly better than TT.  Maybe 280 yds, 2 TD's (two TD's from the running backs) , and one INT (two on occasion) per game.   Reasonably efficient as well. 

That amount of yards would have led the league last year and 2 TDs per game would have been top 3. Basically you want one of the best passing offenses in the league. Should be easy to do right!?

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

All we needed was just a little bit more from the QB position to win more games...their won't be another Tom Brady for many many years..there are other ways to win championships...also our offensive coordinator was an Alabama coach last year so McCarron and him would most likely click together.

It's not like Bills outbid anyone for McCarron.  I believe he was brought in to be a bridge QB.  If it turned out he was really something, then I guess that would be a good problem to have.  We don't know but that Peterman will beat out McCarron.  If Bills don't move up, they might have the 5th - 7th projected best QB.  I think that puts them in the same boat as what they have now on the roster.  Time for FO to regroup and decide what their strategy will be after this turn of events.

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

That amount of yards would have led the league last year and 2 TDs per game would have been top 3. Basically you want one of the best passing offenses in the league. Should be easy to do right!?

Don't know until McCarron gets a chance which he will get and give him some help from the draft.  Plenty of picks in the first three rounds w/o further trades to get a quality WR, choice RB, and Billy Price along with getting a QB prospect.  I still want Roquan Smith to give McDermott the MLB he covets.  Can be done and if neither McCarron or the rookie pan out we have next year with close to 100M salary cap room and should be complete enough to mortgage the farm.  Just like with cars if you think this year's models look good next year's always seem to look better.

7 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

It's not like Bills outbid anyone for McCarron.  I believe he was brought in to be a bridge QB.  If it turned out he was really something, then I guess that would be a good problem to have.  We don't know but that Peterman will beat out McCarron.  If Bills don't move up, they might have the 5th - 7th projected best QB.  I think that puts them in the same boat as what they have now on the roster.  Time for FO to regroup and decide what their strategy will be after this turn of events.

Right, because I doubt, up until now, they haven't given much thought at all about what their primary and contingency plans might be regarding the QB situation...

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Anything can happen.  Favre rode the bench early in his NFL career.  I not predicting Favre-like production but just am saying his floor may not be as low as many are thinking.

I think he'll be an okay QB, but they better get more talent in the receiving corps to support him.  He was just okay for CIN when they had AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think he'll be an okay QB, but they better get more talent in the receiving corps to support him.  He was just okay for CIN when they had AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert. 

That is a sobering thought.   Thanks for pissing in my Cheerios some more today after the Jests trade.....:lol:

1 hour ago, Success said:

I think they may stay put and go that route.  McCarron can really sling it.  Coach him up and use all of our picks to build a great young team.

McCarron is ONE YEAR YOUNGER than Tyrod, yet Ive already read on these boards how AJ has upside and can sling it blah blah blah. 

Its comical how the grass is always greener; until its not. 

25 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Most of this can be done in the draft and still give McDermott his prized MLB assuming minimal tradeups.

52 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I can't pull up 2018 at the moment but can pull up 2015 which features most of the same QB's who will play this fall.  Projecting 280 yards over 16 games gives us 4480 yards which would be sixth for the league that year.  Tannehill posted 4045 yards that year to place 10th.  That is a pace of 253 yards per game. Is it utterly hopeless for McCarron to parallel Tannehill's production?

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not in the 2018 draft.

I disagree and with 2 one's, 2 two's, and 2 three's at present it provides a good basis.  May not get everything but my key word was most.  Billy Price's force down due to injury will be key here. 

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

And it continues.... AJ has been getting blackballed since college for the talent around him. He has a lot of qualities to like as a QB. Even in his scouting report years ago their was so much to like about his strengths and then his weakness was being surrounded by talent and he seemed cocky. 

Now getting the same treatment here for his time on the field with the Bengals. I agree they are good players but AJ did his job as QB during those games he was forced into the starting roll.  If Burflict didn’t !@#$ that playoff game we could of easily seen a change in QB for Cinci the next season. They were down 15 zip in the 4th and AJ helped them take the lead.... His other loss during the stint came in OT against the Broncos who just happened to go on to win the Super Bowl.

Yeah, he’s played with quality players but he has done his part also. There is a lot to like from his time in BaMa and Cinci. If there wasn’t a QB frenzy this offseason I think we wouldn’t of been able to land him myself. FA was just filled with guys who had some success plus more time on the field. I’m eager to see what he can do. 

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I can't pull up 2018 at the moment but can pull up 2015 which features most of the same QB's who will play this fall.  Projecting 280 yards over 16 games gives us 4480 yards which would be sixth for the league that year.  Tannehill posted 4045 yards that year to place 10th.  That is a pace of 253 yards per game. Is it utterly hopeless for McCarron to parallel Tannehill's production?

I disagree and with 2 one's, 2 two's, and 2 three's at present it provides a good basis.  May not get everything but my key word was most.  Billy Price's force down due to injury will be key here. 

I'm talking about upgrading thw receiving corps with immeaidate contributors.  I don't see an abundance of players who can do that. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

25 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

McCarron is ONE YEAR YOUNGER than Tyrod, yet Ive already read on these boards how AJ has upside and can sling it blah blah blah. 

Its comical how the grass is always greener; until its not. 

What does saying he can sling it and has upside have to do with Taylor?

1 hour ago, Success said:

I think they may stay put and go that route.  McCarron can really sling it.  Coach him up and use all of our picks to build a great young team.

And draft a QB with one of our current picks.  No need to panic.

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

And it continues.... AJ has been getting blackballed since college for the talent around him. He has a lot of qualities to like as a QB. Even in his scouting report years ago their was so much to like about his strengths and then his weakness was being surrounded by talent and he seemed cocky. 

Now getting the same treatment here for his time on the field with the Bengals. I agree they are good players but AJ did his job as QB during those games he was forced into the starting roll.  If Burflict didn’t !@#$ that playoff game we could of easily seen a change in QB for Cinci the next season. They were down 15 zip in the 4th and AJ helped them take the lead.... His other loss during the stint came in OT against the Broncos who just happened to go on to win the Super Bowl.

Yeah, he’s played with quality players but he has done his part also. There is a lot to like from his time in BaMa and Cinci. If there wasn’t a QB frenzy this offseason I think we wouldn’t of been able to land him myself. FA was just filled with guys who had some success plus more time on the field. I’m eager to see what he can do. 

Let's be real about this and admit that NFL teams weren't very anxious to see what he can do in a starting role.  He'll have an opportunity to prove everyone wrong, but it's best to temper expectations. 

1 hour ago, MC Hamburg said:

What if AJ actually threw the ball often and with some accuracy....Thats something we didn't have last year and still made the playoffs. Just think off all those picks being used for a fast middle line backer, wide receiver, offensive lineman etc. This team could be even better with a QB that is above average and a much better offensive coorinator.:rolleyes:

People better start rallying around AJ because after today, we’re out on the big 3 QB sweepstakes...unless you want Josh Allen who’s awful.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm talking about upgrading thw receiving corps with immeaidate contributors.  I don't see an abundance of players who can do that. 

I don't know that things are that bad at WR.  Hopefully, Jones had his slump early and Benjamin stays together physically.  That should be a basis along with a high 2018 pick and maybe Thompson coming back.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let's be real about this and admit that NFL teams weren't very anxious to see what he can do in a starting role.  He'll have an opportunity to prove everyone wrong, but it's best to temper expectations. 

I have no real expectations. Just see a guy who has played his position well. 

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I don't know that things are that bad at WR.  Hopefully, Jones had his slump early and Benjamin stays together physically.  That should be a basis along with a high 2018 pick and maybe Thompson coming back.

The only legit WR target on the team is Benjamin (if his knee holds up) and he's no AJ Green.  Zay is a question mark until proven otherwise.  After that we have even bigger ?????

16 minutes ago, Success said:

What does saying he can sling it and has upside have to do with Taylor?

Bc a large majortiy of the people who kept saying that Tyrod was what he was used his years in the league as a reason. So extending that argument, AJ is what he is too:  a career backup. 

15 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Bc a large majortiy of the people who kept saying that Tyrod was what he was used his years in the league as a reason. So extending that argument, AJ is what he is too:  a career backup. 

That makes no sense.  They’re different players.

From my perspective, the Bills are definitely going to draft a QB.  How and where they do it is a complete mystery.  McCarron will have a chance to start no matter who is drafted, but the odds will change.  If Buffalo trades up to #2 and draft Rosen, the odds of McCarron starting probably would be slimmer than with anyone else.  I think McCarron gives the Bills as much of a chance to win as any rookie.  The question is what happens in 2019.  If Buffalo can't trade up and Rosen, Allen, Darnold and Mayfield all are drafted before Buffalo picks at #12, it will be far trickier for Buffalo to be able to identify the QB who has the best shot of developing into a starter.  Is it Jakson? Rudolph? Lauletta?Benkert? White? Shimonek?   I don't know.  Clearly, most are not going to end up as quality starters.  One or two of them may.  Like it's been for nearly the last two decades, we'll continue with the waiting game unless Beane is a genius or gets lucky.

This guy is going to be good i just hope they don't yank him after a couple of games . Any one that has talked about him has said this guy is it & despite what fans here think the guy  has done nothing but win every where he goes si I for one would strap the ship to him & see what he can do , nothing ventured nothing gained !!

I think Bean will go after his guy in the draft but i hope he does what he says he will do & that is not go over board in getting his guy . I don't know what the draft capital would be to move up to 2 but it shouldn't be a lot more than what the Jets gave trade their number 1's & then maybe a 2&3 this yr plus a later round pick should be plenty to move up & keep our late round #1 .