Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No one is disputing that, but his position negates his importance. 

RB has been increasingly important over the past few years as elite QB play has declined. 

Barkley, Gordon and Landry forms an elite NFL offense. Insert a QB from the 4th overall pick and you greatly increase their odds of being successful with such a talented supporting cast. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Le'Veon Bell, Alvin Kamara, and Kareem Hunt all drafted beyond the 1st round. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

RB has been increasingly important over the past few years as elite QB play has declined. 

Barkley, Gordon and Landry forms an elite NFL offense. Insert a QB from the 4th overall pick and you greatly increase their odds of being successful with such a talented supporting cast. 

If the Bills trade up to #2, and draft Josh Allen, how upset are Bills fans going to be?  If they are going to trade up to 2 for Josh Allen, would you rather they just stay at 12?

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

If the Bills trade up to #2, and draft Josh Allen, how upset are Bills fans going to be?  If they are going to trade up to 2 for Josh Allen, would you rather they just stay at 12?

I think for most of us it goes with out saying: (a) very upset, (2) yes. 

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm just thinking why the Jets didn't just go up to #2, my guess is that it was unavailable, I think worst case scenario is we move up to #4 with Cleveland if the Giants aren't budging. That's if the Bills think there are truly 4 franchise QB's in this draft which is highly unlikely. 

Could Be The Spot For Mayfield, Most Think He Is Number 4 Anyway.

14 minutes ago, PIZ said:

We are not trading up...

If we do the right thing and TANK last season, NONE of this high Drama is necessary... What'd we accomplish? -Win nine games, luck into a wildcard

spot, THEN directly embarrass ourselves with an AWFUL performance... Now we're looking at taking out a mortgage on some scrub kid, who would have fallen

to us naturally, had we sucked as bad as we needed to in order to NOT get stuck in this no-man's-land.... STAY PUT Beane... This year's "Rosen one" might be

next year's "Rosen-bum."

Edited by #34fan

17 minutes ago, #34fan said:

If we do the right thing and TANK last season, NONE of this high Drama is necessary... What'd we accomplish? -Win nine games, luck into a wildcard

spot, THEN directly embarrass ourselves with an AWFUL performance... Now we're looking at taking out a mortgage on some scrub kid, who would have fallen

to us naturally, had we sucked as bad as we needed to in order to NOT get stuck in this no-man's-land.... STAY PUT Beane... This year's "Rosen one" might be

next year's "Rosen-bum."

Exactly ... if the Bills would just lose every game for two or three seasons, they'd be unbeatable . Think of the possibilities ! What kind of simpletons are running the show over there?  Just lose Baby! 

8 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Carlos Hyde?

The Browns just traded for Tyrod Taylor. I guess that means they aren't picking a QB.

LMAO

If they didn't have the 4th pick they wouldn't pick Barkley, but they do....

Barkley is the best player. Draft him, then get one of the QBs who are all similarly rated without a consensus #1 guy. 

Go into 2018 with Tyrod, Barkley, Landry, Gordon, Njoku and an improved D, and then hand the reigns to Allen, Darnold or Mayfield in 2019. 

You say the QB's are all "similarly" rated. But to whom? The national media?? Gimme a break. You don't know how each team grades them. I doubt VERY highly that teams all share a consensus on QB's like Rosen/ Allen. I call straight up BS on that notion

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

With the way things are shaping up, they stand a great chance of getting him at #4. 

The only way he goes in the top 4 is if Cle don't trade out of that spot. And still, with Chubb n Nelson, or Fitzpatrick there, its not even a lock at #4. Best overall player in the draft? Maybe. But not worth the cost at that point

The Pressure is on Buffalo

The Bills already came halfway by jumping to no. 12 in their trade with the Bengals, and they can’t afford to get stuck there. If the Giants are locked in at no. 2 and taking a quarterback, the Jets may have already whipped the Bills for position to grab the third quarterback off the board, leaving Buffalo to evaluate whoever is left at that point.

The most likely scenario for the Bills seems to be a move to no. 4 where Cleveland currently sits, but will that be high enough to land the passer they covet? The Bills are one of the few teams who could really offer the Giants a castle with the draft capital they possess, but I’m not sure New York is biting. It’s desperation time for the Bills, and if they get into a bidding war with the Broncos to move to no. 2 or 4, they could end up surrendering a ton of their assets in the process.

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Pressure is on Buffalo

The Bills already came halfway by jumping to no. 12 in their trade with the Bengals, and they can’t afford to get stuck there. If the Giants are locked in at no. 2 and taking a quarterback, the Jets may have already whipped the Bills for position to grab the third quarterback off the board, leaving Buffalo to evaluate whoever is left at that point.

The most likely scenario for the Bills seems to be a move to no. 4 where Cleveland currently sits, but will that be high enough to land the passer they covet? The Bills are one of the few teams who could really offer the Giants a castle with the draft capital they possess, but I’m not sure New York is biting. It’s desperation time for the Bills, and if they get into a bidding war with the Broncos to move to no. 2 or 4, they could end up surrendering a ton of their assets in the process.

This guy is telling us nothing new. Whether we jumped to spot 3 or 2, we’d be surrendering most of our draft capital for this year and even 1 or 2 picks next year. On a team that has multiple holes to fill, Beane is asking himself if any of these “top 4” QB’s are generational talent. He doesn’t want to chase a player. If they aren’t generational QB’s, he’ll stay put and select other pressing needs. The move to 12 was excellent. Giving away most of what you accumulated for a dog with fleas is not in Beane’s playbook. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

This guy is telling us nothing new. Whether we jumped to spot 3 or 2, we’d be surrendering most of our draft capital for this year and even 1 or 2 picks next year. On a team that has multiple holes to fill, Beane is asking himself if any of these “top 4” QB’s are generational talent. He doesn’t want to chase a player. If they aren’t generational QB’s, he’ll stay put and select other pressing needs. The move to 12 was excellent. Giving away most of what you accumulated for a dog with fleas is not in Beane’s playbook. 

But what if that dog can hunt?

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

But what if that dog can hunt?

All four of them can hunt. One has a good sniffer but prefers swimming. The second is a big puppy, has potential but has only played with other pups. The third looks pretty but picks up false scents alot. And the last one is the runt of the litter and yaps a lot. None of them are “Old Yeller”. Don’t waste your money on a mediocre huntin’ dog. Buy a better shotgun at MLB. 

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

All four of them can hunt. One has a good sniffer but prefers swimming. The second is a big puppy, has potential but has only played with other pups. The third looks pretty but picks up false scents alot. And the last one is the runt of the litter and yaps a lot. None of them are “Old Yeller”. Don’t waste your money on a mediocre huntin’ dog. Buy a better shotgun at MLB. 

Thank you Buddy.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

You say the QB's are all "similarly" rated. But to whom? The national media?? Gimme a break. You don't know how each team grades them. I doubt VERY highly that teams all share a consensus on QB's like Rosen/ Allen. I call straight up BS on that notion

The only way he goes in the top 4 is if Cle don't trade out of that spot. And still, with Chubb n Nelson, or Fitzpatrick there, its not even a lock at #4. Best overall player in the draft? Maybe. But not worth the cost at that point

The top ten will be QB centric due to simple supply and demand.

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The top ten will be QB centric due to simple supply and demand.

Absolutely. And with Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson and maybe even a top LB, I have a hard time seeing Barkley going that early. He IS a beast, no doubt. Living near, and working at Penn State, I'm very familiar with him and his exceptional talent.  But there's a whole lot of talent elsewhere that teams typically put a higher premium on than RB. Just my belief

The giants aren't moving out of the top ten, Beane is going to have to get into the top ten, then hope the Giants will make the deal. 

Darnold, Rosen and Allen will all be gone by the fourth overall.

This is why, once we got to 12 we absolutely needed to get up to the third overall. 

Mailbag: Bills can address QB need via bold draft move
The Bills are wandering through the desert, afflicted with that quarterback thirst. This had to make news of the Jets' move up to No. 3 a grim development up at 1 Bills Drive. You can argue Buffalo was overly transparent in its draft plan, but not aggressive enough. Once the Bills traded up with the Bengals -- setting Buffalo up with the 12th and 22nd* pick in the first round -- it seemed an obvious prelude to another jump, likely into the top five. (*Yes, 22nd, not 21st. Clean it up, Jason.) This hypothesis appeared to be corroborated by two roster moves: the trade of Tyrod Taylor and signing of AJ McCarron, the latter move coming after Buffalo sat out the first wave of QB movement in free agency.

Remember in "Independence Day" when the alien spaceships were camped out above the White House and Empire State Building? Something was about to happen, and it was going to be very big. This was the Bills moving into position for their big draft gambit. To extend the ID4 analogy further: Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan is Jeff Goldblum, the guy who studied the data and figured out the motives of the enemy. So Maccagnan collected his dad -- actually, I don't have a Judd Hirsch comp here -- and beat the Billsat their own game, jumping into the third spot before Buffalo could strike. Checkmate.

The result? The Bills have leapfrogged the Jets as the most desperate team in this high-stakes game of musical chairs. If Buffalo trades with the Brownsinto the fourth spot, it's very possible three quarterbacks will be off the board by the time Rog steps to the podium to announce the Bills' pick. The smarter move is to target the No. 2 spot, a costly proposition that would put Giants general manager Dave Gettleman in an enviable position. According to the NFL Draft Value Chart, a very unofficial (but fun!) guide that assigns points to every pick, the second overall selection is worth 2,600 points. The Bills' 12th and 22nd picks have a combined point value of 1,980 points. In other words, Buffalo would probably have to sweeten the pot to get the deal done. It could look something like this: The Bills get the No. 2 in exchange for 12 and 22 (first round), 55 (second round) and 65 (the first pick of the third round).

Are they giving up a lot to move up 10 spots? Hell yes, but not one human in Western New York will complain if the Bills end up with a long-term answer at quarterback at the close of business on April 26.

What about a trade down? The notion “quarterback or else they must trade out” is not flying with the Giants. Again, go back to Gettleman, who stressed, “You can’t get too cute” here. You see a player with the potential for greatness, you take him. Now, if the Giants get blown away by the Broncos (sitting at No. 5), do they move down? They definitely would consider it, especially if at No. 5 they can get Nelson. Sliding all the way down in a deal with the Bills could bring back No. 12 and 22 in the first round and, in the second round, the 53rd and 65th overall picks, plus a 2019 second-round pick. It is believed Gettleman would hold out for more — the Bills would have to include their 2019 first-round pick. That is a bounty the Giants would have to consider, but the smart money is on them staying put and taking a player they see greatness in.

Reading the tea leaves: Has any Giants move to this point indicated anything other than all-in on winning now? They put their faith in a quarterback entering his 15th season. They made a left tackle (Nate Solder), who will be 30 before he ever dons a Giants uniform and has never been named to a Pro Bowl, the league’s highest-paid offensive lineman. They signed Jonathan Stewart, a running back with too much tread on his tires — he turns 31 on Wednesday — to mentor the room (hello, Saquon) and get the tough yards. A rookie quarterback needing a few years to develop does not seem to fit.

58 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What about a trade down? The notion “quarterback or else they must trade out” is not flying with the Giants. Again, go back to Gettleman, who stressed, “You can’t get too cute” here. You see a player with the potential for greatness, you take him. Now, if the Giants get blown away by the Broncos (sitting at No. 5), do they move down? They definitely would consider it, especially if at No. 5 they can get Nelson. Sliding all the way down in a deal with the Bills could bring back No. 12 and 22 in the first round and, in the second round, the 53rd and 65th overall picks, plus a 2019 second-round pick. It is believed Gettleman would hold out for more — the Bills would have to include their 2019 first-round pick. That is a bounty the Giants would have to consider, but the smart money is on them staying put and taking a player they see greatness in.

Reading the tea leaves: Has any Giants move to this point indicated anything other than all-in on winning now? They put their faith in a quarterback entering his 15th season. They made a left tackle (Nate Solder), who will be 30 before he ever dons a Giants uniform and has never been named to a Pro Bowl, the league’s highest-paid offensive lineman. They signed Jonathan Stewart, a running back with too much tread on his tires — he turns 31 on Wednesday — to mentor the room (hello, Saquon) and get the tough yards. A rookie quarterback needing a few years to develop does not seem to fit.

If the Giants stay at 2 and don't draft a QB, it's HUGE for Buffalo, who can then move to 4 to get a QB for a much lower price than getting to 2.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, thebandit27 said:

If the Giants stay at 2 and don't draft a QB, it's HUGE for Buffalo, who can then move to 4 to get a QB for a much lower price than getting to 2.

Most certianly would. So much anticipation between now and APR 26th. 

As much as I want a qb, it's hopeless. gettleman is going to want everything and then some.

Pro sports is starting to burn me up...the concept that the giants  who have  had a super bowl

winning franchise qb for 15 years, have one freaking bad year, and are in  the position to walk

into another potential franchise qb or stick up the bills for this draft and the next one really

infuriates me.

Edited by Kelly101

Calling it now, it's going to happen.  I think it's going to be #12 / #22 / 2019 1st / #53 / #97 for #2.  The Giants would do VERY well on the trade value chart while we pretty much have a full draft this year (picks in all rounds 1 - 6) and are only down 1 future pick.  It's a package no one else can beat.  I think the Giants then turn around and trade #12 & #53 to get back up into the 6-8 range and get Nelson.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Calling it now, it's going to happen.  I think it's going to be #12 / #22 / 2019 1st / #53 / #97 for #2.  The Giants would do VERY well on the trade value chart while we pretty much have a full draft this year (picks in all rounds 1 - 6) and are only down 1 future pick.  It's a package no one else can beat.  I think the Giants then turn around and trade #12 & #53 to get back up into the 6-8 range and get Nelson.

I'm highly in favor of moving up. Having said that I wish I could share the optimism. I don't right now because I think there are too many moving parts at the top and I'm not seeing it add up in the Bills favor. I think #12 is a big problem for the Bills to overcome because people don't want to trade down that far.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I'm highly in favor of moving up. Having said that I wish I could share the optimism. I don't right now because I think there are too many moving parts at the top and I'm not seeing it add up in the Bills favor. I think #12 is a big problem for the Bills to overcome because people don't want to trade down that far.

I think we give up #12 / #22 / 2019 1st as the price for the trade with one of #53-#65 as the kicker to help the Giants move back up.  I just don't see Denver in a position to offer #5 and 2 more 1sts, I think they know they are getting Baker and the coaching staff knows him from the Senior Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

I think we give up #12 / #22 / 2019 1st as the price for the trade with one of #53-#65 as the kicker to help the Giants move back up.  I just don't see Denver in a position to offer #5 and 2 more 1sts, I think they know they are getting Baker and the coaching staff knows him from the Senior Bowl.

I hope you are right. I'm scared that Giants won't move down to 12. 

18 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Trade package sounds about right. Steep price, but one we should pay. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1