Veteran QB: It all comes down to FOLES / MCCARRON!

Why bring in McCarron or trade for Foles if you intend to draft a QB in the top 5? The cost would be too high for the projected role. If you are going to flip draft picks for a starting QB, it better be for a someone that is going to carry the franchise.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't pry Luck free from Indianapolis. I would offer 22 and 65 for him, giving the Colts the ability to draft a QB at 3 and start their rebuild with 22. That way the Bills could draft best player available at 12 or trade back. I know his health is a concern, but he is handling the rehab of his shoulder the right way and news from the last week leads everyone to believe he will be ready to go come preseason workouts.

23 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

am still holding out hope for a Foles trade. trade makes too much sense for philly to pass on getting a high draft pick and relieve cap concerns

Fitz signed with Tampa Bay 5 days ago

The eagles don't HAVE to trade Foles. They are in a great position with him as backup and Went coming off an injury. They already turned down a 2nd rounder from someone and I'm not even remotely convinced it was us. This isn't a "buyer's market" as has been indicated by some hopeful people around here, it's a "if you want to make us an offer we can't turn down I guess we have to do it" situation. We're going to have to trade both of our firsts to get our QB, so where is the extra 1st required to acquire this placeholder QB? 

I don't care for McCarron, but this is currently the only job open in the league. You sign him to a 2 year deal for backup money and tell him he's got a chance to start and earn a payday somewhere else. I'm not blowing draft picks on a guy I'm rooting not to start anyway.

Edited by ndirish1978

4 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

oh you were serious? You want me to answer "does a team have to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND pass the domdab99 test to realy be a playoff team?" 

I just figured you were playing semantics. Yes, they made the playoffs. So, technically, the Bills are "a playoff team." I know that. So does everyone else. However, we also all know that the Bills team last year was mediocre at best, and we only made the playoffs because the Colts coach made worse decisions than Mac did, and because Andy Dalton decided to pretend to be an elite QB for one play. 

So, while I'd love for them to make the playoffs again, I'd much rather them build a strong foundation for a team that becomes a perennial Super Bowl contender, like the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, etc. 

Does that answer your question?

you quoted me...but i have no idea what you're talking about. maybe you meant to qoute someone else? btw , i haven't read all the posts so i don't know what said test is////

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

With Brees, Garoppolo, Cousins, Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater gone, it all comes down to these options: (there are other QBs but I dont think they are going to happen)

Tier 1: (not a FA)

Nick Foles

Tier 2: (All FA)

Aj McCarron

Josh McCown

Tier 3: (All FA)

Derek Anderson 

Tom Savage

Chase Daniel

Matt Moore

Colin Kaepernick

Geno Smith

Chad Henne

Wonder who the Bills sign / get.

I think you have Geno a little too high on that list

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

you quoted me...but i have no idea what you're talking about. maybe you meant to qoute someone else? btw , i haven't read all the posts so i don't know what said test is////

yes, I meant to quote someone else. Just enjoy the warm fuzziness of complete confusion for a few seconds more, though. It's my gift to you. 

10 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

and we only made the playoffs because the Colts coach made worse decisions than Mac did, and because Andy Dalton decided to pretend to be an elite QB for one play. 

the lamest things I've seen around here lately are people downplaying the playoffs by nit picking certain games and plays that swung the season and acting as if you cant say that about almost any other playoff team for numerous games.... I don't understand how people cant see how foolish that looks.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

the lamest things I've seen around here lately are people downplaying the playoffs by nit picking certain games and plays that have swung the season and acting as if you cant say that about almost any other playoff team for numerous games.... I don't understand how people cant see how foolish that looks.

Are you saying the Bills were a legit playoff team? That they had a a real shot of making the Super Bowl? That everything that broke their way wasn't really lucky? 

9 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

oh you were serious? You want me to answer "does a team have to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND pass the domdab99 test to realy be a playoff team?" 

I just figured you were playing semantics. Yes, they made the playoffs. So, technically, the Bills are "a playoff team." I know that. So does everyone else. However, we also all know that the Bills team last year was mediocre at best, and we only made the playoffs because the Colts coach made worse decisions than Mac did, and because Andy Dalton decided to pretend to be an elite QB for one play. 

So, while I'd love for them to make the playoffs again, I'd much rather them build a strong foundation for a team that becomes a perennial Super Bowl contender, like the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, etc. 

Does that answer your question?

Sort of.  It's not just you.  I just tire of every time the Bills do something good, there is a long string of yeah butts.  Hotrod was not very good.  Tim Dalton, blah blah blah.

Do other teams do this too?

Giants - We won the Super Bowl. yeah butt, the other teams FG kicker missed a 47 yard gimme.

Steelers - We won the Super Bowl. Yeah, butt the other team's TE dropped an easy pass in the EZ.

Patsies - We won a playoff game. Yeah butt, the ref called a tuck.

Steelers- We won a playoff game, yeah butt, Franco made a lucky play on the Immaculate Reception

Steelers - We won the game. Yeah butt, the other teams WR dropped a pass in the EZ in OT

Vikings - We won a playoff game. Yeah butt, that DB for the Saints took a bad angle on the football

Fish - We made the playoffs. Yeah butt, the other team only had 10 men on the fields when Jay made the big game sealing run.

Luck is part of the game too and every year is different. No yeah butts requried IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Sort of.  It's not just you.  I just tire of every time the Bills do something good, there is a long string of yeah butts.  Hotrod was not very good.  Tim Dalton, blah blah blah.

Giants - We won the Super Bowl. yeah butt, the other teams FG kicker missed a 47 yard gimme.

Steelers - We won the Super Bowl. Yeah, butt the other team's TE dropped an easy pass in the EZ.

Steelers- We won a playoff game, yeah butt, Franco made a lucky play on the Immaculate Reception

Steelers - We won the game. Yeah butt, the other teams WR dropped a pass in the EZ in OT

Vikings - We won a playoff game. Yeah butt, that DB for the Saints took a bad angle on the football

Fish - We made the playoffs. Yeah butt, the other team only had 10 men on the fields when Jay made the big game sealing run.

Luck is part of the game too and every year is different. No yeah butts requried IMHO.

Yeah, I'm fine with luck and had a blast watching the Bills make the playoffs finally. I'm not complaining. I'm just looking towards next year and tempering my expectations because I know the FO is trying to build a perennial contender and that whether or not we make the playoffs in 2018 is meaningless in the long run. Unless, of course, we're really good and make a real SB run. Then, yay! 

Just now, Domdab99 said:

Are you saying the Bills were a legit playoff team? That they had a a real shot of making the Super Bowl? That everything that broke their way wasn't really lucky? 

the bills most definitely were a legit playoff team. they beat 2 different playoff teams on the road last year. while they were mediocre in a lot of aspects they were very good in others. namely taking the ball away and not giving it away. that's a real thing and teams win when they are good at it. the colts game? it was a blizzard. all conventional wisdom went out the window in that game.... as for the ravens? we did what we needed to do over 16 games and they DID NOT. bottom line. maybe we should go back and credit the steelers for our playoff berth as well. they had quite a drive to finish off the ravens weeks earlier. or how bout and losses the ravens suffered in September?

literally any team can look back at a couple of games and if a few plays go one way or the other the season changes or they miss the playoffs. its silly argument against our team, man.

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

I have a feeling back channels are being worked and Foles is coming to Buffalo. 

I have a feelibg theres a itch on my crotch.

one of these feelings has merit

I agree completely with your last statement. 

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Yeah, I'm fine with luck and had a blast watching the Bills make the playoffs finally. I'm not complaining. I'm just looking towards next year and tempering my expectations because I know the FO is trying to build a perennial contender and that whether or not we make the playoffs in 2018 is meaningless in the long run. Unless, of course, we're really good and make a real SB run. Then, yay! 

well I also don't agree with this at all. I think playoff experience is a pretty big deal. 

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

this. 100%. I have no clue why people feel the need to make excuses as to why they made it. any team can look back on a season and have a couple of games they can say that about. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe Foles is coming to Buffalo.  The Eagles need him, and we aren't going to break the draft pick bank when all our actions seem directed at building resources to fire a missile at an elite QB prospect.

I do not have a read on McCarron, in terms of what kind of situation/money he is looking for.  We shall see.  Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a less hypey vet to go with our trade up.

Just now, Domdab99 said:

Yeah, I'm fine with luck and had a blast watching the Bills make the playoffs finally.

Well, except for the call to punt vs the Colts. :(

I look at it differently.  Every year is a new year and chance to go all the way!  I don't care about 2019, 2020, etc.  Just win the next game and it will take care of itself.

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Waiting for the news that we signed McCarron.

i have a feeling it won't be long unless someone makes a ridiculous contract. give me nate/mayfield and rudolph with a good qb coach.  spend the money on a good rt./ speed wr.  i have all the faith in the world that nate can produce. when's the last time we had a qb that threw 27-33 290 2td per game? he can do it.

i predict with a healthy k.b and jones getting in a groove combined with deonte on another 1 yr. deal,...along with oleary and clay, we will be fine. i also expect brandon reilly and dupri to make the team. if we draft a washington or anthony miller, we will see a passing offense this year that we haven;t seen in 20 years. it's gonna be great!

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Trade a second for Foles...Only 4 million next year.Draft Mayfield .

Cool handle! Glad to see Jeff Lynne is back at it.

I'm not sure how much interest there ever was on F oles, but if we trade up again can we really afford to be tossing 2nd rd picks out for a 1 yr rental?

Maybe you could trade him to a team if the rook comes in and tears it up but that's piling even more resources into a position that will be looked at as much as a coach as player. 

Moore has inspired few, but he can win a game here and there,  is avbl when needed, and seems to be a team player who understands the role. 

Not very exciting,  but both the rookie and Peterman would benefit and maybe Peterman takes his role the following year.

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i have a feeling it won't be long unless someone makes a ridiculous contract. give me nate/mayfield and rudolph with a good qb coach.  spend the money on a good rt./ speed wr.  i have all the faith in the world that nate can produce. when's the last time we had a qb that threw 27-33 290 2td per game? he can do it.

i predict with a healthy k.b and jones getting in a groove combined with deonte on another 1 yr. deal,...along with oleary and clay, we will be fine. i also expect brandon reilly and dupri to make the team. if we draft a washington or anthony miller, we will see a passing offense this year that we haven;t seen in 20 years. it's gonna be great!

I asked this in one of the other 20 threads about FA QBs (LOL).

What teams are left needing a QB that are going to sign McCarron or Bridgewater?

Maybe Beane will have his choice on a "prove you're a starter" contract.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I asked this in one of the other 20 threads about FA QBs (LOL).

What teams are left needing a QB that are going to sign McCarron or Bridgewater?

Maybe Beane will have his choice on a "prove you're a starter" contract.

Didn't Bridgewater sign with the Jets?

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

Right? If they trade up for their guy it just seems bringing in a younger guy who still wants to start and be the guy somewhere wldnt make sense. Even if for some reason he took a 1 yr prove it deal, I'm not sure that's the best look.

They are professionals, but they all are competitors and I'm not sure putting 2 like minded (3 if Peterman feels slighted) guys who wanna prove themselves and start in the qb room would be helpful. Maybe it would turn into a volatile situation rather than one that would flourish w a clear rookie and mentor

2 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

If we grab McCarron it will obviously be on a big money, multi-year deal. Is it possible we then trade up to get weapons....say like Saquon Barkley or Calvin Ridley? And then use 22 on defense?

Why are there still people who want this soo badly? Even with the tea leaves pointing as they are it seems a small group (like the old man who calls each and every show on wgr to say the same thing) who just can't handle/accept what the plan appears to be.

Just now, gobills1212 said:

Why are there still people who want this soo badly? Even with the tea leaves pointing as they are it seems a small group (like the old man who calls each and every show on wgr to say the same thing) who just can't handle/accept what the plan appears to be.

I don't want to put all my eggs in a basket that historically shows about a 33 percent chance of actually hatching.  

AJ had a great career at Alabama and has played well in limited NFL action.  and, he studied under the great Andy Dalton.  I would prefer we hedge our bets.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

With Brees, Garoppolo, Cousins, Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater gone, it all comes down to these options: (there are other QBs but I dont think they are going to happen)

Tier 1: (not a FA)

Nick Foles

Tier 2: (All FA)

Aj McCarron

Josh McCown

Tier 3: (All FA)

Derek Anderson 

Tom Savage

Chase Daniel

Matt Moore

Colin Kaepernick

Geno Smith

Chad Henne

Wonder who the Bills sign / get.

Foles will cost us picks, McCarron can be had straight up. The safe bet is on Foles tho. Also, I would put Kap as tier 2- just my opinion tho. Great Post!

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

The question was based on the hypothetical of whether or not we signed McCarron. If we do he is going to be our starter for the next few years. He is not going to come cheap and is not going to sign somewhere unless he has a guarantee of starting. If he is our starter, then we could use our picks to trade up for weapons or sit at 12 and take the best player available. 

Somebody obviously can't handle a hypothetical question very well.

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't want to put all my eggs in a basket that historically shows about a 33 percent chance of actually hatching.  

AJ had a great career at Alabama and has played well in limited NFL action.  and, he studied under the great Andy Dalton.  I would prefer we hedge our bets.

I get that, and respect that.

I disagree, which I'm sure you know BUT I guess I feel that with things looking the way they do that this is just going to make you upset if they continue the direction it appears they are.

At what point does that crowd jump ship to the other raft? I guess if it were me it would just drive me nuts to continue to go against it if that makes sense

8 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

The question was based on the hypothetical of whether or not we signed McCarron. If we do he is going to be our starter for the next few years. He is not going to come cheap and is not going to sign somewhere unless he has a guarantee of starting. If he is our starter, then we could use our picks to trade up for weapons or sit at 12 and take the best player available. 

Ok then, let's see how you handle hypothetical.

Hypothetically, have you paid attention towards the way the off season has progressed? 

Not hypothetically- apparently not. 

Reddogblitz at least makes sense and backs up his arguments with valid points. I respect that and enjoy listening to why he feels that way.

Meanwhile, you post nonsense backed with insults rather than backing up your nonsense...

Edited by gobills1212

11 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Name me 1 team (other than the Bill's) who need to sign McCarron as a starter for the 2018 season.

18 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Why does McCarron have to be our starter for the next few years if signed?    Jets signed McCown for one year for $10 million.   Cardinals signed Bradford for one year for $20 million.

Who is to say the Bills can't sign McCarron on a one year deal for money somewhere in between those two?

McCarron hasn't proven anything in this league yet -except that he is a capable backup.

Edited by PolishDave
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Why does McCarron have to be our starter for the next few years if signed?    Jets signed McCown for one year for $10 million.   Cardinals signed Bradford for one year for $20 million.

Who is to say the Bills can't sign McCarron on a one year deal for money somewhere in between those two?

Bridgewater too!

If Bridgewater or McCarron want to be a starter this year, Bill's are the only game in town!