Dear Brian Daboll, -Do you stink as an OC?

#34fan

45 minutes ago, Mango said:

Chan Gailey isn't a failed OC. As a HC, sure, mediocre in his best years.

Chan's big issue as an OC was thinking he could get more with less too often. He wasn't wrong. He got tremendous production out of mediocrity from Kordell Stewart, Fitzy, Spiller, and Stevie. He wasn't wrong. But because of he could do it, he never really surrounded himself with talent as a HC. As an OC, and playing with the pieces he is given, he is talented. 

He is/was one of the most widely respected OC's in inner circles in the NFL. 

i thought Chan had some really good game plans and had a very fun offense,when it was working. the whole talent thing though...was that really him saying "no, i really don't need any blue chippers. just give me some udfas and a few journeymen, and i'll be fine"? or did he really just do the best he could with what the gm had given him? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Section27 said:

So he was 32 years old in 2007. He was 36 in 2012. Then he worked with Belichek. I wonder if he may have learned something? I prefer to think it is possible young coordinators get better. 

No,  that's silly.

People never improve

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please go away.  I mean, your points about his previous tenure as NFL OC are correct, but the crap about "light easy work in Tuscaloosa and Foxboro" is rude and ignorant, and you provide bupkiss of information about whether or not in any previous job he could teach, had creativity, or enforced standards.  There's neither insight nor information here.

There are about 85 threads asking whether or not the Bills move up for a QB...   -Follow those if you want.

I can assure you than NONE of that matters if the next OC is as bad as the last two.

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Oh I'm sorry  twobillsdrive tuff guy. I guess there's one I every forum today must be your day to be king ding of the ding a ling of the internet tuff Guy's. I can't believe I even wasted my time with this!

Im shocked by hapless today. He can get testy but he decidee to unload this time

We dont know because he has always had bottom of the barrel QBs during his OC stints...might be the worst 4 year stretch of QB talent of any OC in NFL history

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah... I hope he doesn't suck too. Too early to get all worked up about it imo. Whether we like it or not we have him as the OC this year. He hasn't even called a Bills game yet so... I'm going to hope for the best. In the meantime there's still a lot of off-season drama to entertain myself with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

I, for one, would appreciate full disclosure on your limitations up front .

Chan Gailey, Greg Roman, Nat Hackett all failed miserably. -Why?  -Please see the tags that I've re-purposed above…

I, along with everyone else know you come from a dominant NE offense, won superbowls with them, -blah, blah, blah... let's be clear on one thing... -The offensive coordinator of the NE Patriots IS Tom Brady... He’s the guy that made it work for all you freeloaders.

You can’t do light, easy, work in places like Tuscaloosa, and Foxboro, then come here demanding respect right off the bat… This job will be harder. - And you haven’t done NEARLY as well in places that challenged you.

As the QB coach of the 2007 Jets, you were party to an abyssmal 4-12 season, that fielded a 25th ranked offense… As OC of the 2009 Browns, you achieved a 5-11 season with a 29th ranked offense... You sucked again for the 2012 KC Chiefs… Guiding them to a 2-14 season and a 23rd ranked offense!

So, what gives???

Please don’t waste our time if you can’t really pull this off… Go back to the college ranks and hide your incompetence behind some SEC superpower.

No, I'm not the one paying you.. Still, the thought of another sideline pretender in a Bills polo STEALING in broad daylight  makes me ill...

So, to borrow a page from your old boss's book: DO YOUR JOB. -Or, simply walk away and return to a much easier professional life.

Love and kisses,

#34fan

What do you expect to learn when the Bills don't even have their QB?

37 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We dont know because he has always had bottom of the barrel QBs during his OC stints...might be the worst 4 year stretch of QB talent of any OC in NFL history

Is there no responsibility on the part of coaches to make the QB good? -Or, at least BETTER?

-What's the point of a coach, if not to improve performance?

Edited by #34fan

Daboll wasn't a good OC earlier in his career.

But he hasn't worked as a NFL OC since his time with Belichick and Saban - until now. 

It's hard to know what kind influence those two may have had on him and how much he may have learned over the years. 

I have zero expectations.  We'll know what kind of OC he is when we see the offense he fields.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’m not really looking forward to the Daboll experience. That’s why I’m hoping we find a franchise QB who can cover other areas of deficiency. I think Daboll could be successful with a top notch signal caller, but I don’t see him as an OC who create something from nothing. He could win with a top notch QB, but I don’t see him

succeeding the way of a guy like Pedersen with Foles at a QB. 

Isn’t that true of most OC?  The best coaches have great players, not the other way round...

Bill Belichick was run out of Cleveland.  He is a great coach, but he would have been fired years ago if he didn’t have Brady.

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Daboll wasn't a good OC earlier in his career.

But he hasn't worked as a NFL OC since his time with Belichick and Saban - until now. 

It's hard to know what kind influence those two may have had on him and how much he may have learned over the years. 

I have zero expectations.  We'll know what kind of OC he is when we see the offense he fields.  

What did he have to work with in those early gigs?  Almost no coaches can turn turds into diamonds.

that's some hot take there OP. although I wont go as far as to say he succeeds, I wont say he'll fail either and will not compare him to the other failures from the past.

I see it as like how a player (huges for example) who didn't have much success elsewhere, came here to a new team and environment and went on to contribute positively with the team.

Daboll has the same opportunity and rather then feel he'll fail, I hope he succeeds, which in turn means the team succeeds.

I guess some use the past as a way to predict the future?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

24 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Isn’t that true of most OC?  The best coaches have great players, not the other way round...

Bill Belichick was run out of Cleveland.  He is a great coach, but he would have been fired years ago if he didn’t have Brady.

What did he have to work with in those early gigs?  Almost no coaches can turn turds into diamonds.

True enough.  I don't blame him for his earlier OC gigs with the Browns, Fins and Chiefs.   But I can't praise him a lot for his accomplishments there either. 

My point was that he's largely an unknown because there's little doubt that his time with Saban and Belichick have shaped the kind of coach he is today.  We have no way of knowing what kind of OC he'll be.  

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

True enough.  I don't blame him for his earlier OC gigs with the Browns, Fins and Chiefs.   But I can't praise him a lot for his accomplishments there either. 

My point was that he's largely an unknown because there's little doubt that his time with Saban and Belichick have shaped the kind of coach he is today.  We have no way of knowing what kind of OC he'll be.  

Agreed, but I can’t think of many better coaches to study under than Belichick and Saban.  Still to be sure he will need talent to work with in order to succeed.

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

They basically trampled their opponents... The 2nd string QB threw 2 pretty balls in an NC game, and Daboll was suddenly a genius.

I thought you had an unnatural love for Alabama QBs...

Anyway, Dabol is a U of R grad, so he's smarter than all of you.

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

I, for one, would appreciate full disclosure on your limitations up front .

Chan Gailey, Greg Roman, Nat Hackett all failed miserably. -Why?  -Please see the tags that I've re-purposed above…

I, along with everyone else know you come from a dominant NE offense, won superbowls with them, -blah, blah, blah... let's be clear on one thing... -The offensive coordinator of the NE Patriots IS Tom Brady... He’s the guy that made it work for all you freeloaders.

You can’t do light, easy, work in places like Tuscaloosa, and Foxboro, then come here demanding respect right off the bat… This job will be harder. - And you haven’t done NEARLY as well in places that challenged you.

As the QB coach of the 2007 Jets, you were party to an abyssmal 4-12 season, that fielded a 25th ranked offense… As OC of the 2009 Browns, you achieved a 5-11 season with a 29th ranked offense... You sucked again for the 2012 KC Chiefs… Guiding them to a 2-14 season and a 23rd ranked offense!

So, what gives???

Please don’t waste our time if you can’t really pull this off… Go back to the college ranks and hide your incompetence behind some SEC superpower.

No, I'm not the one paying you.. Still, the thought of another sideline pretender in a Bills polo STEALING in broad daylight  makes me ill...

So, to borrow a page from your old boss's book: DO YOUR JOB. -Or, simply walk away and return to a much easier professional life.

Love and kisses,

#34fan

...the damn guy isn't even unpacked yet and this?......does your mother know you're out posting this late?.....good Lord, just when I thought I heard it all......ignorance is bliss......

• Like (+1) 1

I'll reserve my judgement on Daboll for now. I took into consideration people's thoughts on his resume and I won't argue that it could be better. I would have taken a more proven guy but sometimes you take a shot on a lesser known.

My expectations for the offense is low next season. I don't think it's because of Daboll either. It just looked very bad at times last season. I'm giving Daboll a pass next season. I hope he can be a miracle worker and turn everything around in his first season as the  OC for the Bills.