Dear Brian Daboll, -Do you stink as an OC?

#34fan

6 hours ago, Section27 said:

So he was 32 years old in 2007. He was 36 in 2012. Then he worked with Belichek. I wonder if he may have learned something? I prefer to think it is possible young coordinators get better. 

Wait, all this math is confusing me. So he's how old now? 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That really doesn't make him a rocket scientist...

Yeah, you need have at least a graduate degree...it's like calling someone who has a BS with a pre-med major a  "doctor."

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

IAs the QB coach of the 2007 Jets, you were party to an abyssmal 4-12 season, that fielded a 25th ranked offense… As OC of the 2009 Browns, you achieved a 5-11 season with a 29th ranked offense... You sucked again for the 2012 KC Chiefs… Guiding them to a 2-14 season and a 23rd ranked offense!

Look at the QB's he had to work with.  Those records and numbers are completely predictable.  

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the damn guy isn't even unpacked yet and this?

Look, If you suck, I don't even want your sh-t unpacked...  I'm just asking the new OC what he's really about in my own #34fan way.

All these threads about which QB we take, and how high we take them are POINTLESS if Daboll can't play the gig...

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If you were a chef and I handed you a pile of dog crap, should I expect you to make it be able to taste good?

TRUTH: I can burn a little bit... Not bragging, but you probably wouldn't regret a meal that I prepared....

To answer your question, I wouldn't even TRY to work with something like that.  I cannot think of one Bills OC in the last decade that was handed a dog-crap offense and asked to produce a winner.  We simply have not been that devoid of talent. 

6 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

i thought Chan had some really good game plans and had a very fun offense,when it was working. the whole talent thing though...was that really him saying "no, i really don't need any blue chippers. just give me some udfas and a few journeymen, and i'll be fine"? or did he really just do the best he could with what the gm had given him? 

That is fair. He never really had a ton of talent in either HC stint, and you’d think he would have some say in the roster their. Didn’t have a ton in Pitt or NYJ as OC. The answer is probably a little bit of both. 

I don’t think anybody ever really says “I don’t want better talent”. It’s probably closer to “get somebody somewhere else, I can make due with this”

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I can agree with your assessment of Chan but I think you are actually undervaluing him as an OC.  He was very good and like you said - he got the most out of a very limited roster.  His spread offense was a few years ahead of his time.

Chan’s downfall in Buffalo wasn’t offense related.  It was his inability to understand defense and/or find someone who could competently run an effective defense.  Chan should have fired George Edwards after it was clear he was in over his head.  He held onto him for a year too long and replaced him with the uninspiring hire of Dave Wannstedt who was equally as bad.

if Chan had a defense in 2011, chances are the team makes the playoffs. 

I dont disagree with that at all. 

7 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Did you watch any Alabama games last year? Not exactly known for their offensive prowess. Some of their games looked like the infamous Bills 3 Browns 6 OT game

To be far Hurts was trash the offense looked completely different with the freshman on the field.

36 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

aging RB that has slowed down?  that's your takeaway from Shady last year?  :huh:

Well, let’s see, with the exception of 2015 when he misses 4 games, he had his worst season since 2012 when he also missed 4 games. And if you consider the fact that he might have had his worst career output since 2010 when he was just his 2nd year and still missed games. He also had his worst yards per carry of his career at 4.0. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/leseanmccoy/79607/profile

He also finished this season with only 131 yards in his final 3 games this past season. 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/lesean-mccoy-player-game-log

You can believe whatever you’d like but the guy is on the wrong side of 30. He’s getting worse, not better. And the point of me posting all this has nothing to do with Shady and has everything to do with our lame duck offensive coordinator that has never had an offense with over 3,500 passing yards and QBs that have never done well. And that includes Tom Brady’s worst statistical season in the last decade, the Chiefs at their worst in years, and the Browns. Lol. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Well, let’s see, with the exception of 2015 when he misses 4 games, he had his worst season since 2012 when he also missed 4 games. And if you consider the fact that he might have had his worst career output since 2010 when he was just his 2nd year and still missed games. He also had his worst yards per carry of his career at 4.0. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/leseanmccoy/79607/profile

He also finished this season with only 131 yards in his final 3 games this past season. 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/lesean-mccoy-player-game-log

You can believe whatever you’d like but the guy is on the wrong side of 30. He’s getting worse, not better. And the point of me posting all this has nothing to do with Shady and has everything to do with our lame duck offensive coordinator that has never had an offense with over 3,500 passing yards and QBs that have never done well. And that includes Tom Brady’s worst statistical season in the last decade, the Chiefs at their worst in years, and the Browns. Lol. 

I get what you're saying, but... "he's getting worse"?  I don't get that.  He's obviously one of the best at his position still.  Sure, he's not 22 anymore but...

Also: i predict you are going to be wrong about Daboll.  I have no evidence for this, just a hunch. 

45 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

I get what you're saying, but... "he's getting worse"?  I don't get that.  He's obviously one of the best at his position still.  Sure, he's not 22 anymore but...

Also: i predict you are going to be wrong about Daboll.  I have no evidence for this, just a hunch. 

If you don’t think he’s becoming less and less each year then I don’t know what to tell you. It’s almost a guaranteed fact that RBs over the age 30 drop off significantly in their careers. 

As far as Daboll, which was the reason why I even bothered with this thread. I said there’s a chance that he could be good, if we get really lucky in the Draft, or just just get Cousins or Foles at QB. But even then we have a lame duck OC we’re dealing with. 

Let’s see, Tom Brady in 2013 had just over 4,300 yards, which is pretty good. But let’s not get too excited. It’s still Tom Brady we’re talking about. But he also threw only 25 TDs (3rd least In his career) and his worst since 2006. He also had his 5th worst QB rating of his career and his worst since 2003 (throwing out the 2008 season when he played less than a quarter) 

In 2012 his offense with the KC Chiefs, was 32rd in the league. His offense produced just over 2,900 passing and 8 TDs. 

In 2011 his offense with the Miami Dolphins, was 20th In the league. His offense produced just over 3,400 passing yards and 20 TDs.  

In 2010 his offense with the Cleveland Browns was 31st in the league. His offense produced just over 3,200 passing yards and 13 TDs. 

In 2009 his offense with the Cleveland Browns was 29th in the league. His offense produced just over 2,200 passing yards and 11 TDs. 

I don’t know about you but the pattern I see is that he’s been bad (that’s being really generous) at the very least with his offensive rankings as an OC with not so great teams and QBs. He created some of Tom Brady’s worst numbers of his 18 year career. 

Yeah, I can see how you feel optimistic. SMH 

Edited by mrags

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

If you don’t think he’s becoming less and less each year then I don’t know what to tell you. It’s almost a guaranteed fact that RBs over the age 30 drop off significantly in their careers. 

As far as Daboll, which was the reason why I even bothered with this thread. I said there’s a chance that he could be good, if we get really lucky in the Draft, or just just get Cousins or Foles at QB. But even then we have a lame duck OC we’re dealing with. 

Let’s see, Tom Brady in 2013 had just over 4,300 yards, which is pretty good. But let’s not get too excited. It’s still Tom Brady we’re talking about. But he also threw only 25 TDs (3rd least In his career) and his worst since 2006. He also had his 5th worst QB rating of his career and his worst since 2003 (throwing out the 2008 season when he played less than a quarter) 

In 2012 his offense with the KC Chiefs, was 32rd in the league. His offense produced just over 2,900 passing and 8 TDs. 

In 2011 his offense with the Miami Dolphins, was 20th In the league. His offense produced just over 3,400 passing yards and 20 TDs.  

In 2010 his offense with the Cleveland Browns was 31st in the league. His offense produced just over 3,200 passing yards and 13 TDs. 

In 2009 his offense with the Cleveland Browns was 29th in the league. His offense produced just over 2,200 passing yards and 11 TDs. 

I don’t know about you but the pattern I see is that he’s been bad (that’s being really generous) at the very least with his offensive rankings as an OC with not so great teams and QBs. He created some of Tom Brady’s worst numbers of his 18 year career. 

Yeah, I can see how you feel optimistic. SMH 

I think my issue is a semantic one in regards to Shady.  I mean, no one is going to dispute that a running back post-30 is on the downside.  Obviously.  My point is, you said " he's getting worse", and yet, he's still one of the top RB's in the league.  So he's not getting worse.  It's just his window is closing.

In regards to Daboll: you're right.  his record is shady.  I just have a feeling.  Don't know why.  So there it is....in my humble opinion.

13 hours ago, #34fan said:

Look, If you suck, I don't even want your sh-t unpacked...  I'm just asking the new OC what he's really about in my own #34fan way.

All these threads about which QB we take, and how high we take them are POINTLESS if Daboll can't play the gig...

TRUTH: I can burn a little bit... Not bragging, but you probably wouldn't regret a meal that I prepared....

To answer your question, I wouldn't even TRY to work with something like that.  I cannot think of one Bills OC in the last decade that was handed a dog-crap offense and asked to produce a winner.  We simply have not been that devoid of talent. 

Exactly my point. He was...4 times.

21 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Did you watch any Alabama games last year? Not exactly known for their offensive prowess. Some of their games looked like the infamous Bills 3 Browns 6 OT game

Daboll was not to blame kd.

Remember, Tua didn't come in until the 2nd half of the last game. Hurts is a great kid but he is not a great passer. Trust me, I have seen every play he was in since his arrival in Tuscaloosa.

21 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

There are still lots of Bama fans who are happy to see him gone. 

Not me. My son is coaching and has ten years exp. and I 17, so much more of a college fan than pros.Been a Bama fan since I was five. If he would have been able to put Tagovailoa in earlier then we would be able to judge much better. He had a QB who couldn't read defenses and  was too eager to run. Not a Daboll fan but judging from Bama's year is inconclusive to me. he was handcuffed. The fans wanted Tua from day 1 but how can you bench the QB who took you title game the year before. Fortunately, the Bills traded a QB who would have put the handcuffs right back on him.

19 hours ago, #34fan said:

Is there no responsibility on the part of coaches to make the QB good? -Or, at least BETTER?

-What's the point of a coach, if not to improve performance?

Better put the keyboard down since you're showing your true  naiveté in coaching.  Sorry bro, you are digging deep hole and are exposing your lack of understanding on this subject.

2 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Not me. My son is coaching and has ten years exp. and I 17, so much more of a college fan than pros.Been a Bama fan since I was five. If he would have been able to put Tagovailoa in earlier then we would be able to judge much better. He had a QB who couldn't read defenses and  was too eager to run. Not a Daboll fan but judging from Bama's year is inconclusive to me. he was handcuffed. The fans wanted Tua from day 1 but how can you bench the QB who took you title game the year before. Fortunately, the Bills traded a QB who would have put the handcuffs right back on him.

Better put the keyboard down since you're showing your true  naiveté in coaching.  Sorry bro, you are digging deep hole and are exposing your lack of understanding on this subject.

:lol: Oh, give it a f___ing rest....

12-year NFL vet Shannon Sharpe echoed my sentiment on Undisputed the other day... Saying: " Do coaches not want to do any work?!" -That was in reference to the class of 2018 -Specifically, Lamar Jackson...  (I'm trying to find the clip)

But no, It's not Naïve to expect every college QB to enter the NFL ready to start day 1,  -It's F___ing DENSE... As a coordinator in the NFL , you have got  to be able to teach SOMETHING... Of course you need talent, but you also need to provide useful technical knowledge and instruction to young players.

So they can DEVELOP... -Something we haven't' helped a young QB do in 25 years.

Edited by #34fan

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Exactly my point. He was...4 times.

So the only teams he was able to do ANYTHING with... were the #1 ranked college team, and the pro team with arguably the greatest QB of all time???

As a pro OC, he never goy ANYWHERE NEAR the top 25 offenses in the league?!! 

The 2017 Texans were ranked 17th despite having no OC, only winning 4 games, -and only having a real QB for six.

Edited by #34fan

18 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The teacher in the kindergarten class should screen lock her computer.

When I started beating the drum for Rex and Rob's head, I got the same flack... "Give them a chance!" "He hasn't even unpacked yet!"... Blah, blah....

Given the results of his past coaching efforts, plus our past experiences with OC's, I think I posed a fair question.

Let's hope that shiny new 1st round QB you guys want isn't destroyed by yet another inept coordinator.

• Like (+1) 1