Dear Brian Daboll, -Do you stink as an OC?

#34fan

9 minutes ago, #34fan said:

When I started beating the drum for Rex and Rob's head, I got the same flack... "Give them a chance!" "He hasn't even unpacked yet!"... Blah, blah....

Given the results of his past coaching efforts, plus our past experiences with OC's, I think I posed a fair question.

Let's hope that shiny new 1st round QB you guys want isn't destroyed by yet another inept coordinator.

I'll keep this warm for you

%EF%BC%94%E5%8C%85%E8%A3%85%E3%81%AA%E3%

4 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'll keep this warm for you

%EF%BC%94%E5%8C%85%E8%A3%85%E3%81%AA%E3%

Nice try, but you don't eat crow for asking questions, or being suspicious. 

Daboll better have his sh_t together... Because once the season starts, it won't take long to figure who and what he is.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at our new OC's pedigree, it seems like he will run a similar system to what the Patricheats run in the Evil Empire.  It is called the "Erhardt-Perkins System." Did some digging, and from what I am reading we will employ a far more progressive, faster tempo offense next year. Here is where I am getting this. Must read for serious football fans.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

https://www.bigblueview.com/2016/7/15/12188564/summer-school-erhardt-perkins-offense-belichick-weis-parcells-brady-patriots

1 hour ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Looking at our new OC's pedigree, it seems like he will run a similar system to what the Patricheats run in the Evil Empire.  It is called the "Erhardt-Perkins System." Did some digging, and from what I am reading we will employ a far more progressive, faster tempo offense next year. Here is where I am getting this. Must read for serious football fans.

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

https://www.bigblueview.com/2016/7/15/12188564/summer-school-erhardt-perkins-offense-belichick-weis-parcells-brady-patriots

Yeah.  There was a thread on this when Daboll was hired.  Rosen would be the perfect pick for that system which is why I think if us or the Pats move up to #2, he's the pick.

I would have no problem with Chan Gailey as and OC.  Greg Roman did some nice things with the run game as an OC but failed as a passing offense strategist.  But then his QB was Tyrod Taylor.  Nate Hackett had some nice ideas but needed a bit more seasoning as his relative success with Jacksonville demonstrates.  Alabama doesn't really show much of anything about Brian Daboll's abilities as an OC.  Everybody on Nick Saban's staff does what Nick Saban tells him to do.  Daboll would have started the QB who won the national championship for the Crimson Tide much earlier in the season, but Nick Saban said no.  I'll wait and see what Daboll does before i write him off.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:48 PM, #34fan said:

I, for one, would appreciate full disclosure on your limitations up front .

Chan Gailey, Greg Roman, Nat Hackett all failed miserably. -Why?  -Please see the tags that I've re-purposed above…

I, along with everyone else know you come from a dominant NE offense, won superbowls with them, -blah, blah, blah... let's be clear on one thing... -The offensive coordinator of the NE Patriots IS Tom Brady... He’s the guy that made it work for all you freeloaders.

You can’t do light, easy, work in places like Tuscaloosa, and Foxboro, then come here demanding respect right off the bat… This job will be harder. - And you haven’t done NEARLY as well in places that challenged you.

As the QB coach of the 2007 Jets, you were party to an abyssmal 4-12 season, that fielded a 25th ranked offense… As OC of the 2009 Browns, you achieved a 5-11 season with a 29th ranked offense... You sucked again for the 2012 KC Chiefs… Guiding them to a 2-14 season and a 32nd ranked offense!

So, what gives???

Please don’t waste our time if you can’t really pull this off… Go back to the college ranks and hide your incompetence behind some SEC superpower.

No, I'm not the one paying you.. Still, the thought of another sideline pretender in a Bills polo STEALING in broad daylight  makes me ill...

So, to borrow a page from your old boss's book: DO YOUR JOB. -Or, simply walk away and return to a much easier professional life.

Love and kisses,

#34fan

i can't believe they hired that supposed douchebag instead of hiring you...the real douchebag.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Daboll wasn't a good OC earlier in his career.

But he hasn't worked as a NFL OC since his time with Belichick and Saban - until now. 

It's hard to know what kind influence those two may have had on him and how much he may have learned over the years. 

I have zero expectations.  We'll know what kind of OC he is when we see the offense he fields.  

two things are certain. he can't be any worse than dennison and ajm won't be any worse than tyrod. i'll take it.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:48 PM, #34fan said:

I, for one, would appreciate full disclosure on your limitations up front .

Chan Gailey, Greg Roman, Nat Hackett all failed miserably. -Why?  -Please see the tags that I've re-purposed above…

I, along with everyone else know you come from a dominant NE offense, won superbowls with them, -blah, blah, blah... let's be clear on one thing... -The offensive coordinator of the NE Patriots IS Tom Brady... He’s the guy that made it work for all you freeloaders.

You can’t do light, easy, work in places like Tuscaloosa, and Foxboro, then come here demanding respect right off the bat… This job will be harder. - And you haven’t done NEARLY as well in places that challenged you.

As the QB coach of the 2007 Jets, you were party to an abyssmal 4-12 season, that fielded a 25th ranked offense… As OC of the 2009 Browns, you achieved a 5-11 season with a 29th ranked offense... You sucked again for the 2012 KC Chiefs… Guiding them to a 2-14 season and a 32nd ranked offense!

So, what gives???

Please don’t waste our time if you can’t really pull this off… Go back to the college ranks and hide your incompetence behind some SEC superpower.

No, I'm not the one paying you.. Still, the thought of another sideline pretender in a Bills polo STEALING in broad daylight  makes me ill...

So, to borrow a page from your old boss's book: DO YOUR JOB. -Or, simply walk away and return to a much easier professional life.

Love and kisses,

#34fan

Either drink more, or drink less.  

On March 11, 2018 at 5:00 PM, aceman_16 said:

Would it not been easier to just say... "I don't like this hire"  versus rehash it MONTHS later in a passive aggressive undertone?

Ps: His answer should be - " Tell me who my QB is and I will tell you my limitations!"

His question should be and obviously would be "Who the F is #34fan?".

33 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i can't believe they hired that supposed douchebag instead of hiring you...the real douchebag.

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Either drink more, or drink less.  

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

His question should be and obviously would be "Who the F is #34fan?".

Your'e welcome!

Seriously, wtf else do you three winners have to do on a Saturday night?  -Go out with friends? :lol:  -Meet Women? :lol::lol::lol:

How about a little f___ing  gratitude for a thought-provoking, yet entertaining and informative thread?

What was the last letter any of you stiffs wrote? -Other than apologies to your cleaning lady for finding your corpses in the bathtub?

Seriously, -Are NONE of you un-grateful motherf____ers entertained by this???!!!

Is this not better than the bottle of pills you social butterflies had on the menu tonight?

We have thread after thread, and post after post of these meaningless debates, but NOT ONE OF US ever takes a Bills decision-maker to task?

-Except me.

So, don't BORE me with your LAME,  "I'm lonely and frustrated on a Saturday night, CHEAP, one-liners...

ADD something to the conversation, or GTF off the damn thread... -Your Choice!

:)

No idea what is going to happen, but I do like the fact that we have the guy who was being groomed to replace McDaniels if he left NE. Ultimately, I am glad that McDermott got his guy. I think it is clear that Daboll is his guy and I feel like he wanted Daboll last year as well. He never seemed all in on the Dennison decision or even Tyrod. It was just a weird time with Whaley still around etc. Daboll going to Bama was a very clever way to get out from under Belicheck and to Buffalo. I know Belicheck doesn't hold his assistants back, but to a division rival he would. Would he keep Daboll from going to work with his butt buddy Saban? No, so Daboll goes to Bama for a year knowing full well he was likely headed here after the season.  

Last year was the "f-it let's see what happens" year. Now Beane and Daboll are in place and they are ready to get that quarterback. The choices made in the next few weeks are going to be critical to the next 5-10 years of this franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The choices made in the next few weeks are going to be critical to the next 5-10 years of this franchise. 

Can't argue that. -It's a huge moment.

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, #34fan said:

Your'e welcome!

Seriously, wtf else do you three winners have to do on a Saturday night?  -Go out with friends? :lol:  -Meet Women? :lol::lol::lol:

How about a little f___ing  gratitude for a thought-provoking, yet entertaining and informative thread?

What was the last letter any of you stiffs wrote? -Other than apologies to your cleaning lady for finding your corpses in the bathtub?

Seriously, -Are NONE of you un-grateful motherf____ers entertained by this???!!!

Is this not better than the bottle of pills you social butterflies had on the menu tonight?

We have thread after thread, and post after post of these meaningless debates, but NOT ONE OF US ever takes a Bills decision-maker to task?

-Except me.

So, don't BORE me with your LAME,  "I'm lonely and frustrated on a Saturday night, CHEAP, one-liners...

ADD something to the conversation, or GTF off the damn thread... -Your Choice!

:)

It's a good thread, btw. I have no problem with you being Debbie Downer.

In the case of this particular OC you know with almost certainty he's going to use the Erhardt Perkins offense. It's all Daboll has ever known. We know this offense to be the most QB-centric approach in football. It focuses on versatile skill position players that can line up all over the field and handle a fairly easy communication scheme. It is neither run nor pass centric, neither fast paced nor methodical.

I've argued the OPs side before; he'd never really developed a positional player to stardom. But a great deal of the benefit of the EP approach is that it de-emphasizes specificity in drafting particular skills and emphasizes flexibility. Flexible players are not those designed to stardom, generally. Look at the skill set players we've brought in for visits: Goedert, Penny, Samuels. I don't know these guys specifically but their write-ups tell me a story of players that do multiple things well.

And either your QB has it or he doesn't - accuracy and timing, as I've detailed elsewhere, is not a skill set you develop in the NFL. QBs are remarkably consistent in their completion percentage for the first four to six years in the pros. He is going to run the same play he has been running all day and the success is going to be based on pre-snap reads. Again: the massive interest in Baker Mayfield, and Falk, and Rudolph. To a lesser degree, Rosen.

It strikes me that either McCarron or Nate Peterman would be excellent at running this type of offense. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that the HC's fascination with Peterman played a (small) role in Daboll getting hired. IMO, there are limited trigger men in this draft that fill the bill for Buffalo and Daboll. 

But I think my favorite Buffalo targets are known. I would think that they have ruled out Josh Allen; they might be intrigued with Lamar Jackson because he comes from the same offense, but he hasn't been truly successful. 

I'm not sure if Daboll will be successful but either you get the right QB for him or you are absolutely, positively sunk. The Bills should float okay with McCarron and even Peterman. But either the QB can complete the pass or he can't and no downfield passing is going to temper that. A pre-snap read should be the simplest thing to teach in the NFL - easier than changing footwork, easier than manipulating your throwing motion. It's going to be a pretty interesting year.

Edited by Tyrod's friend

On 3/13/2018 at 2:00 PM, #34fan said:

When I started beating the drum for Rex and Rob's head, I got the same flack... "Give them a chance!" "He hasn't even unpacked yet!"... Blah, blah....

Given the results of his past coaching efforts, plus our past experiences with OC's, I think I posed a fair question.

Let's hope that shiny new 1st round QB you guys want isn't destroyed by yet another inept coordinator.

Let's hope that another coordinator isn't destroyed by an inept QB.

Now that the OC Killer is in Cleveland, I think Daboll will be just fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1