Dear Brian Daboll, -Do you stink as an OC?

#34fan

12 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Maybe it’s just a little premature to throw Daboll 

under the bus?

...seriously?....according to the "One & Done Gang" rule book, he has reached the maximum allowable time in Buffalo to define a "career" and should be gone Monday morning...imminent bust...

4 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

It's a good thread, btw. I have no problem with you being Debbie Downer.

In the case of this particular OC you know with almost certainty he's going to use the Erhardt Perkins offense. It's all Daboll has ever known. We know this offense to be the most QB-centric approach in football. It focuses on versatile skill position players that can line up all over the field and handle a fairly easy communication scheme. It is neither run nor pass centric, neither fast paced nor methodical.

I've argued the OPs side before; he'd never really developed a positional player to stardom. But a great deal of the benefit of the EP approach is that it de-emphasizes specificity in drafting particular skills and emphasizes flexibility. Flexible players are not those designed to stardom, generally. Look at the skill set players we've brought in for visits: Goedert, Penny, Samuels. I don't know these guys specifically but their write-ups tell me a story of players that do multiple things well.

And either your QB has it or he doesn't - accuracy and timing, as I've detailed elsewhere, is not a skill set you develop in the NFL. QBs are remarkably consistent in their completion percentage for the first four to six years in the pros. He is going to run the same play he has been running all day and the success is going to be based on pre-snap reads. Again: the massive interest in Baker Mayfield, and Falk, and Rudolph. To a lesser degree, Rosen.

It strikes me that either McCarron or Nate Peterman would be excellent at running this type of offense. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that the HC's fascination with Peterman played a (small) role in Daboll getting hired. IMO, there are limited trigger men in this draft that fill the bill for Buffalo and Daboll. 

But I think my favorite Buffalo targets are known. I would think that they have ruled out Josh Allen; they might be intrigued with Lamar Jackson because he comes from the same offense, but he hasn't been truly successful. 

I'm not sure if Daboll will be successful but either you get the right QB for him or you are absolutely, positively sunk. The Bills should float okay with McCarron and even Peterman. But either the QB can complete the pass or he can't and no downfield passing is going to temper that. A pre-snap read should be the simplest thing to teach in the NFL - easier than changing footwork, easier than manipulating your throwing motion. It's going to be a pretty interesting year.

Ah yes, the "flexible" scheme... Wasn't that a major selling point of the 46 defense Wrecks was trying to implement here as HC?... Different side of the ball, -same spiel...

Here's hoping he can teach this system... It sounds to me like a versatility-based system would favor a Lamar Jackson type QB... I would NOT love it, but I'd be OK with LJ at 12.. Perhaps best available WR or TE at 22 (If D.Payne is gone)... Might as well load up on ammo for this "Flexible" offense...

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Ah yes, the "flexible" scheme... Wasn't that a major selling point of the 46 defense Wrecks was trying to implement here as HC?... Different side of the ball, -same spiel...

Here's hoping he can teach this system... It sounds to me like a versatility-based system would favor a Lamar Jackson type QB... I would NOT love it, but I'd be OK with LJ at 12, Perhaps best available WR or TE at 22 (If D.Payne is gone)... Might as well load up on ammo for this "Flexible" offense...

Yeah, I hear this. I always loved Tyson's line: Every fighter has a plan until he gets hit.

Schemes are where you start. Great coaching starts when there is 29:59 left on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1