Dear Brian Daboll, -Do you stink as an OC?

#34fan

3 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

There are still lots of Bama fans who are happy to see him gone. 

"Lots?" Funny how people use these unsubstantiated words to "back up" their claim. Watch this... "NEARLY all of 'Bama fans were sad to see him go and think the Bills ABSOLUTELY lucked out!!!" - geez that was fun!

2 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

"Lots?" Funny how people use these unsubstantiated words to "back up" their claim. Watch this... "NEARLY all of 'Bama fans were sad to see him go and think the Bills ABSOLUTELY lucked out!!!" - geez that was fun!

It’s all completely unscientific. I’m not claiming to be in the know. I just know a lot of Bama fans who are not distraught over Daboll leaving. The second half of the National Championship certainly left a good final impression. Prior to that,  it was far from all sunshine and roses. 

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I thought you had an unnatural love for Alabama QBs...

Anyway, Dabol is a U of R grad, so he's smarter than all of you.

The rocket scientist in NE couldn’t stop Nick Foles,

so I’m not sure how much I’m going to give Daboll credit based on his education. Let’s just hope that he turns out to be a great OC. We will all find out soon enough. I’m not impressed by his NFL OC resume, but we need to give him a chance. 

6 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

It’s all completely unscientific. I’m not claiming to be in the know. I just know a lot of Bama fans who are not distraught over Daboll leaving. The second half of the National Championship certainly left a good final impression. Prior to that,  it was far from all sunshine and roses. 

The rocket scientist in NE couldn’t stop Nick Foles,

so I’m not sure how much I’m going to give Daboll credit based on his education. Let’s just hope that he turns out to be a great OC. We will all find out soon enough. I’m not impressed by his NFL OC resume, but we need to give him a chance. 

huh?

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Did you watch any Alabama games last year? Not exactly known for their offensive prowess. Some of their games looked like the infamous Bills 3 Browns 6 OT game

So witch exact game did they play where the game ended 6-3 9-6 12-7 or anything CLOSE to those numbers?> this is such a lazy post and no where near the truth. so I agree with you.. OP needs his coffee

Edited by PrimeTime101

2 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Im shocked by hapless today. He can get testy but he decidee to unload this time

"Beware the Wrath of a Patient Man"

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

huh?

Matt Patricia is literally a rocket scientist by education.  He has a BS in aeronautical engineering from RPI.  You didn't know?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Beware the Wrath of a Patient Man"

Matt Patricia is literally a rocket scientist by education.  He has a BS in aeronautical engineering from RPI.  You didn't know?

That really doesn't make him a rocket scientist...

4 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’m not really looking forward to the Daboll experience. That’s why I’m hoping we find a franchise QB who can cover other areas of deficiency. I think Daboll could be successful with a top notch signal caller, but I don’t see him as an OC who creates something from nothing. He could win with a top notch QB, but I don’t see him succeeding the way of a guy like Pedersen with Foles at a QB. 

Why would you allow yourself to get so down about a guy before he has had a chance to show you what he's got?

Masochist?

Don't you owe it to yourself to at least try to keep an open mind - at least until he proves he is a lousy coach if he is in fact one?

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

Is there no responsibility on the part of coaches to make the QB good? -Or, at least BETTER?

-What's the point of a coach, if not to improve performance?

If you were a chef and I handed you a pile of dog crap, should I expect you to make it be able to taste good?

There has to be something that is able to be improved upon is the point.  If I keep giving you dog crap and  keep expecting a gourmet meal it doesnt make much sense now does it?

4 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Would it not been easier to just say... "I don't like this hire"  versus rehash it MONTHS later in a passive aggressive undertone?

Ps: His answer should be - " Tell me who my QB is and I will tell you my limitations!"

Think about how much time went into writing it, and then how much time was taken up by all the people who read it. Damn shame, that time could have been spent arguing if it's smart to trade up or what FA qb is the best? Heck, it could have even been spent debating if our punter lost us the JAX game!!

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

braveheart.png

:) I see what you did there.

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Daboll wasn't a good OC earlier in his career.

But he hasn't worked as a NFL OC since his time with Belichick and Saban - until now. 

It's hard to know what kind influence those two may have had on him and how much he may have learned over the years. 

I have zero expectations.  We'll know what kind of OC he is when we see the offense he fields.  

In this circumstance, I'm not sure I hand the guy a Rd 1 pick that I'll be making payments on for a while....

Maybe you get the guy Foles, or McCarron and see what he can make..

The real problem was you went into the future in your head. In that place Fire Daboll threads raged 100 pages long. A place that after a terrible offensive season people had a little justification for venting on Daboll. 

It could be the future but it's kind of awkward right know because most people are in the wait and see camp because that card is played and not played out. 

I might one day feel the same as you. If it's very terrible offensive season. This is the truth. Regardless of this guy's resume and who he is he is walking into a tougher situation. The team was kinda broken offensively. If he turns it completely around in one season season people will be calling him Genius.

My expectations are kinda low as for how fast I expect a turn around but my expectations for Daboll are high being the second try for OC. Now you have had time this should be the guy who does turn it around.

So as far as Daboll goes if he turns out not to be the guy then I would agree that makes them look very bad. This is your second try at OC so I want to trend up two years and be competitive in the second year or it's all a bust.

I think we should all have high expectations of Daboll in a two year window. 

Edited by Lfod

I agree OP. After doing some research (wasn’t hard to look it up) I noticed in his time in the league as an offensive coordinator the most passing yards his QBs have thrown for is something like 3,500. When he was an “offensive assistant” in New England, Tom Brady threw for less TDs than he had in about 10 years and about the same with the yards. 

So so before I looked into him at all I was ok with the hire. Now I just feel like we’re going to have a worse offense than this past year. 

The only thing that could change it is who we have at QB. If we get lucky in the draft or with a FA that could change things. Other than that, I’m not optimistic about this year with an aging RB that has slowed down orbjeen hurt in each of the last 3 seasons. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I agree OP. After doing some research (wasn’t hard to look it up) I noticed in his time in the league as an offensive coordinator the most passing yards his QBs have thrown for is something like 3,500. When he was an “offensive assistant” in New England, Tom Brady threw for less TDs than he had in about 10 years and about the same with the yards. 

So so before I looked into him at all I was ok with the hire. Now I just feel like we’re going to have a worse offense than this past year. 

The only thing that could change it is who we have at QB. If we get lucky in the draft or with a FA that could change things. Other than that, I’m not optimistic about this year with an aging RB that has slowed down orbjeen hurt in each of the last 3 seasons. 

aging RB that has slowed down?  that's your takeaway from Shady last year?  :huh:

7 hours ago, Mango said:

Chan Gailey isn't a failed OC. As a HC, sure, mediocre in his best years.

Chan's big issue as an OC was thinking he could get more with less too often. He wasn't wrong. He got tremendous production out of mediocrity from Kordell Stewart, Fitzy, Spiller, and Stevie. He wasn't wrong. But because of he could do it, he never really surrounded himself with talent as a HC. As an OC, and playing with the pieces he is given, he is talented. 

He is/was one of the most widely respected OC's in inner circles in the NFL. 

I can agree with your assessment of Chan but I think you are actually undervaluing him as an OC.  He was very good and like you said - he got the most out of a very limited roster.  His spread offense was a few years ahead of his time.

Chan’s downfall in Buffalo wasn’t offense related.  It was his inability to understand defense and/or find someone who could competently run an effective defense.  Chan should have fired George Edwards after it was clear he was in over his head.  He held onto him for a year too long and replaced him with the uninspiring hire of Dave Wannstedt who was equally as bad.

if Chan had a defense in 2011, chances are the team makes the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1