Speculation: McCarron Lands in WNY

19 minutes ago, Bob&Doug said:

Garoppolo signed Big "before he tore it up with SF" based on a couple of games..... why not McCarron ????

Again not true - he didn't "sign big" until AFTER the Super Bowl....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

So the actually get to draft players I  the first 3 rounds this year. It's going to cost a ton of picks to move from the 20s into the top 5

For the love of God, for once pull the trigger and do it. We have tried every other approach and it's been failure after failure. The Eagles just did this to get Wentz,(Admittedly the Bills have to move up further to do so) do it and be done with it. The Rams moved from 15th to the 1st pick also that year for 3 total 1st round picks 2 seconds & 2 thirds. In both cases the teams improved greatly within a 2 year span.

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve seen this question asked a lot. There was never a QB competition in Cincy. They paid Andy, and he is the starter. AJ didn’t have a the reps in practice to ever be able to “beat out” Andy. 

And if you watch what limited game film there is with McCarron starting, he appears every bit as good as Dalton - but younger.   Nobody really knows this guy's upside.   It is a guess.

I'm not against McCarron. A bit risky imo. 

If Beane and co believe there is something there i don't see the problem. I still think the optimal route is to move up and get one of Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold. If no trade is available i could see McCarron as an option. At that point i think you target a QB later in the draft in hopes of developing someone. 

I'm not sure you could call it backfiring on Beane if a trade up was never really available. For all we know the teams ahead of us have every intention of staying where they are in the draft. A McCarron signing would make the draft picks we do won very interesting as we would really be able to fill out the roster with young talent. 

If McCarron flops we'd still have the young QB and potentially another high pick next year to try again. Lets hope it doesn't come to this though. 

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Browns had the draft capital to get McCarron but chose Taylor. I trust John Dorsey  and Scot McCloughan  on this one.

They don’t need draft capital for mccarron. He’s a FA.

mccloughan doesn’t work for the Browns btw. He  is consulting with them for the draft (not FA/pro personnel side) and he isn’t consulting for them exclusively. Same as last year. He may get hired on eventually but he hasn’t yet.

Edited by YoloinOhio

47 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

If he's so good, why didn't he beat out Andy Dalton?

Agreed.  Andy Dalton . . . is who he is, the miracle in Baltimore notwithstanding. The Bengals saw both Dalton and McCarron in practice for years.  And stuck with Dalton.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

Browns had the draft capital to get McCarron but chose Taylor. I trust John Dorsey  and Scot McCloughan  on this one.

It won't take any "draft capital" to get McCarron.  As of Monday he will be an UFA.  They just need to sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

Mccarron I bet doesn’t want to be a part of a glennon type situation. Which also means he won’t come here. He will go to the safest spot to start and not get yanked for the prized rookie. I think zona gets him. 

38 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Foles makes less than half that ($6.1 million per year through 2021) and has accomplished more.    He'd be a better mentor to a Rd1 QB pick as well.    If it took less than a first to get him, I'd rather go that route than AJ...

When Foles gets traded he will want a new contract. He will hold out for 14 to 17 mil per year, no doubt about it.

17 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Mccarron I bet doesn’t want to be a part of a glennon type situation. Which also means he won’t come here. He will go to the safest spot to start and not get yanked for the prized rookie. I think zona gets him. 

I completely agree with you on this.  I don't think he's a realistic option unless Beane has told him flat out they won't be drafting a QB high.  Arizona seems like the perfect marriage for him.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I completely agree with you on this.  I don't think he's a realistic option unless Beane has told him flat out they won't be drafting a QB high.  Arizona seems like the perfect marriage for him.

I think Arizona wants an older guy like a McCown or a Bradford.

With the kind of contract McCarron is looking for, I doubt any team will sign him and then draft a QB in the first round.

If the Bills signed McCarron, Peterman is your backup and maybe they'd go after Mike White or Kyle Lauletta in the 3rd or 4th round.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

If Buffalo moves up to grab a QB in the top 3-4 picks he’s gonna start.

Youre not gonna trade away 5-6 picks and hope a “bridge” QB can help him out down the road in 2-3 years.

Meanwhile your stud QB you picked at #3 plays lights out, now you have a backup QB with a $45M contract $18 Guaranteed on the bench...

Don't forget McDerma comes from Andy Reid football school. Rookie could sit for a year.

Just now, frostbitmic said:

With the kind of contract McCarron is looking for, I doubt any team will sign him and then draft a QB in the first round.

If the Bills signed McCarron, Peterman is your backup and maybe they'd go after Mike White or Kyle Lauletta in the 3rd or 4th round.

With McCarron luck , Peterman would beat him out for starting gig.

Peterman I assume practices well as he impressed enough to get a regular season start in retrospect "just a little early" in his career.(I hate your play Dimarco)