Is Glenn a goner??

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

I think he gets traded next week to the Giants and the Bills acquire the number 2 pick in the draft. The Giants are rebuiding their line and sign Norwell and draft an OLine guy with our #21 pick like Daniels or Hernandez and with #22 draft a RB like Sony Michel. These teams want to figure the trade out before FA

I don't see that.  It doesn't make sense to trade up before they know if their guy is on the board.  If they want to trade up it doesn't mean they want to trade up for more than one QB prospect.  

So say Rosen is Beane's guy and they trade up to #2 next week; and on draft day the Browns decide to trade #1 to Denver or the Jets and Rosen happens to be their guy, the Bills are screwed.  

Remember early in Cordy Glenn's career (thinking it was around the time of his first or second training camp)... he was out for awhile for a "medical reason"? I asked John Wawrow if he remembered hearing that at that time Cordy was diagnosed with diabetes... and he seems to remember that as well. But now I can't find evidence of that anywhere & it was never mentioned again. 

Reason I bring it up is because if he indeed was diagnosed with diabetes, these "unexplained" foot/ankle problems he's been having may be related to that diagnosis. It's not uncommon for diabetics to experience peripheral neuropathy in their feet. Hopefully that's not the case, but if it is, he might continue to have problems in the future. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills move on from him, but they will only do it if it works for them. 

17 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I don't see that.  It doesn't make sense to trade up before they know if their guy is on the board.  If they want to trade up it doesn't mean they want to trade up for more than one QB prospect.  

So say Rosen is Beane's guy and they trade up to #2 next week; and on draft day the Browns decide to trade #1 to Denver or the Jets and Rosen happens to be their guy, the Bills are screwed.  

The Browns want Barkley at #1. They don't get him unless they take him there. Look it might not happen that the trade is made now...I just think that it is reasonable to read the tea leaves and see that it is possible given the whole situation.

Edited by horned dogs

3 hours ago, billspro said:

I am not sure, he is a pretty affordable tackle option. If they believe he will be healthy this year I would rather keep him. I would also prefer to move him to RT and keep Dawkins at left. 

I agree with this except I'd keep Cordy at LT. Build the interior of the OL and have bookend tackles for years to come.

32 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

The Browns want Barkley at #1. They don't get him unless they take him there. Look it might not happen that the trade is made now...I just think that it is reasonable to read the tea leaves and see that it is possible given the whole situation.

It's definitely reasonable to read the tea leaves.  I'm simply saying the Browns might get an offer to good to pass up for #1.  Look at it like this:

Denver and the Jets miss out on Cousins.  They will be desperate for a QB.  Tyrod is no longer an option for Elway.  Either team might be willing to do what it takes to get their guy, which in your scenario, is only guaranteed if they jump the Bills sitting at #2.  

If your are John Dorsey you still have pick #4 to grab one of the QBs plus whatever the Broncos or Jets gave you to move up.  With all that capital he can move around the board; get Guice or Michele; he would also still have Duke Johnson, and whomever the QB they like is.  

Dorsey would also know the Broncos/Jets/Bills ain't taking Barkley.  So he could package all the extra assets received in a trade down to the Colts and grab Barkley at 3 and get their QB at 4.  

Why would the Colts do a deal?  Because they have multiple needs and, in this scenario, would only be trading down from 3 to 5 or 7.  They could still conceivably get Chubb and have a boatload of picks In addition to him and the ones they came into the draft with.  

Browns don't have to use pick #1 to come out ahead.  And if the Bills traded up before the draft they could get burned.  The Browns having pick 4 to pivot off of is the difference for them.

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

It's definitely reasonable to read the tea leaves.  I'm simply saying the Browns might get an offer to good to pass up for #1.  Look at it like this:

Denver and the Jets miss out on Cousins.  They will be desperate for a QB.  Tyrod is no longer an option for Elway.  Either team might be willing to do what it takes to get their guy, which in your scenario, is only guaranteed if they jump the Bills sitting at #2.  

If your are John Dorsey you still have pick #4 to grab one of the QBs plus whatever the Broncos or Jets gave you to move up.  With all that capital he can move around the board; get Guice or Michele; he would also still have Duke Johnson, and whomever the QB they like is.  

Dorsey would also know the Broncos/Jets/Bills ain't taking Barkley.  So he could package all the extra assets received in a trade down to the Colts and grab Barkley at 3 and get their QB at 4.  

Why would the Colts do a deal?  Because they have multiple needs and, in this scenario, would only be trading down from 3 to 5 or 7.  They could still conceivably get Chubb and have a boatload of picks In addition to him and the ones they came into the draft with.  

Browns don't have to use pick #1 to come out ahead.  And if the Bills traded up before the draft they could get burned.  The Browns having pick 4 to pivot off of is the difference for them.

Why don't you think they will take Barkley number 1?

I think it is possible that between Minn, Den and NYJ go Couins, Keenum and McCarron.

My point is the Browns will be able to get the best player in the draft and a QB for the future that they want at 4. Do they really want more picks?

Why are the Colts trading up? they can stay pat and have anyone they want who's not Rosen or Barkley and have Luck at QB.

So you're saying the Colts trade down with Denver....doesn't Denver still need to get to number 1 to draft Rosen?

I might be misunderstanding some of what you say. I still remain unconvinced that Gettleman, Beane and Dorsey don't have this thing all wink, wink, nod, nod....but you could be right and I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's true, they could clear him off the books at the cost of nailing the cap further this year.

I just don't see the cost/benefit of that.  If he's healthy, by all reports he's a hard worker, and the loss of Wood already leaves a veteran hole in the line.

With Dareus, I think we mailed him out of here because he was snoozing in meetings etc and it sends a bad message if your top paid guy isn't buying in.

Only reason to move him is attitude, not buying into the process, or to trade up. Yes we can save $$ on the cap, but those savings would be recgonized next year, but at about $90 mil under the cap as of now..IDK if it is even necessary...

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he will be traded before the 2mill bonus is due

I don’t think it’s a matter of money at this point but some guys are just more comfortable on one side than the other. Has ever played RT? 

I don't think Beane is very fond on long term contracts or at least ones that he didn't offer. I wonder who will get the first mega deal from him.

1 hour ago, RobynMundyWYO said:

Remember early in Cordy Glenn's career (thinking it was around the time of his first or second training camp)... he was out for awhile for a "medical reason"? I asked John Wawrow if he remembered hearing that at that time Cordy was diagnosed with diabetes... and he seems to remember that as well. But now I can't find evidence of that anywhere & it was never mentioned again. 

Reason I bring it up is because if he indeed was diagnosed with diabetes, these "unexplained" foot/ankle problems he's been having may be related to that diagnosis. It's not uncommon for diabetics to experience peripheral neuropathy in their feet. Hopefully that's not the case, but if it is, he might continue to have problems in the future. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills move on from him, but they will only do it if it works for them. 

If Glenn has a habitual ailment as you have suggested then I can see his future needs to be examined.

I truly hope he can play near the level that he is capable of for at least one more year.

On a personal note, I did not know that you were a member of TSW Robyn.

My brother is being treated currently at Roswell and I couldn't help but think of you lately.

3 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Why don't you think they will take Barkley number 1?

I think it is possible that between Minn, Den and NYJ go Couins, Keenum and McCarron.

My point is the Browns will be able to get the best player in the draft and a QB for the future that they want at 4. Do they really want more picks?

Why are the Colts trading up? they can stay pat and have anyone they want who's not Rosen or Barkley and have Luck at QB.

So you're saying the Colts trade down with Denver....doesn't Denver still need to get to number 1 to draft Rosen?

I might be misunderstanding some of what you say. I still remain unconvinced that Gettleman, Beane and Dorsey don't have this thing all wink, wink, nod, nod....but you could be right and I'm wrong.

I'm saying the Browns could trade down with the Broncos or Jets.  Then, if they want, trade back up with the Colts.

Some of the picks they give/get could be for future picks. 

Something I just realized.

The Giants don't have the cap room for Glenn.  So either, moves would have to be made by the G-Men to free up space for his contract or the Bills will be in even deeper, pick-wise, if they plan to move up to #2.

I'm perfectly fine with keeping Cordy on the roster.  His contract doesn't hinder the Bills and it never hurts to have good lineman around.

I think he will be around long enough to be used as a bargaining chip to move up to grab their QB in the draft .

NYG is in need of a starting LT & Glenn when healthy has proven to be a good one & with the relationship the Bean/ McD have with Gettleman now in NY I believe that is a strong possibility of them working something out to get ahead of teams like the Jets to get the guy they want !!

22 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and perhaps a move to RT may not be as demanding as the blind side, prolonging his career...BUT....some posters said "he would never go for that"......if he is healthy and can play the right side effectively, who cares if he's getting LT money?......

I’m with you.  If he is healthy, he is worth far more than you could get in a trade.  If he isn’t healthy, you won’t get much in trade.

19 hours ago, RobynMundyWYO said:

I wonder if you are getting this mixed up with him having had a kidney removed? I think that was back in 2015.

My guess would be more that he's had some ongoing foot issues, that he hasn't made enough of a fuss about, that eventually accumulated to the point of needing surgey (s?). Glenn is one of those rare breeds in the NFL, in that he's a 'no fuss, no bother' guy, who just goes to work.

Injuries aside, Glenn would be a prototypical McDermott/Beane type of guy, but as they haven't seen him play much (live), then they aren't likely to be wedded to him.

It makes no sense to me to cut, or even trade him, when if he's going to be healthy, you could put him at RT and immediately make the O-Line much better. That could also have the effect of helping with any future foot problems, by not needing to use his feet quite as much at RT. The 'cost' of tackles is gradually becoming more even, due to the fact that rushers will much more frequently swap sides, so you need more agility on the right anyway.

18 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I wonder if you are getting this mixed up with him having had a kidney removed? I think that was back in 2015.

My guess would be more that he's had some ongoing foot issues, that he hasn't made enough of a fuss about, that eventually accumulated to the point of needing surgey (s?). Glenn is one of those rare breeds in the NFL, in that he's a 'no fuss, no bother' guy, who just goes to work.

Injuries aside, Glenn would be a prototypical McDermott/Beane type of guy, but as they haven't seen him play much (live), then they aren't likely to be wedded to him.

It makes no sense to me to cut, or even trade him, when if he's going to be healthy, you could put him at RT and immediately make the O-Line much better. That could also have the effect of helping with any future foot problems, by not needing to use his feet quite as much at RT. The 'cost' of tackles is gradually becoming more even, due to the fact that rushers will much more frequently swap sides, so you need more agility on the right anyway.

...absolutely NAILED it bud....nicely done....too bad former collegiate lineman Shaunta53 no longer posts here.....I'm going to take a couple unsubstantiated guesses about the transition...first, I would think the blind side is the tougher side, so perhaps RT vs LT money is a misnomer, better valued as blind side versus not......Glenn is under contract and has always been a worker as you stated, no harm , no fuss, no foul.....and if this surgery finally works for the lad, why the rush to trade him?.....both the Bills and potential trade partners would have the same IF question.....and IF moving him to the right side is less wear and tear versus defending the blind side, isn't that a club benefit?.....who gives a rat's azz if he is now a RT earning LT money?.....the bulk has sailed....remember when Dopey Dickie Jauron decided to move Langston Walker from the right side to THE LEFT SIDE?.....a 6'8", 360 lb behemoth who moved slower than Rosey O'Donnell to the BLIND SIDE?.....Dopey Dickie shined......some have said "Glenn would NEVER go for it".....if his pay remains the same, why not?.....what is your assessment?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy