Well, the Bills are well underway in free agency

I was literally debating posting and then I refreshed the page and then walla all of a sudden we signed Ivory! Matter of fact I was actually looking at a list of all the teams’ FAs.

I believe and firmly expect this to continue, first Vontae Davis and now Ivory. The Bills will be very active in free agency in filling in holes and reinforcing depth. DT Dontari Poe, G Jahri Evans, WR Donte Moncrief and LB Dannell Ellerbe would be FA targets that I would love to see the Bills get once free agency opens up. Players like these would certainly make our roster more solidified and our draft picks more effective imo.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a question that I probably should have added to the post. Would you be alright if the Bills signed a few 1 rentals this year? Players who are looking to improve their stock but not commit to long term just yet like what Alshon Jeffery did last year? 

Davis and Ivory were cut by their teams so they won't count against or compensatory picks so it's good to sign these types of guys off the street rather than making a big splash with free agents.  Adding veteran leaders for cheap which buys us time to build through the draft

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Davis and Ivory were cut by their teams so they won't count against or compensatory picks so it's good to sign these types of guys off the street rather than making a big splash with free agents.  Adding veteran leaders for cheap which buys us time to build through the draft

Yep, I agree...Especially when you consider the guys we could lose in FA - Gaines, Brown, etc.  Those guys should be "higher" value in the comp pick equation.  I don't think you should take inferior talent in order to get comp picks, but if you are comparing apples to apples, go with the signing that facilitates comp picks.   

26 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I have a question that I probably should have added to the post. Would you be alright if the Bills signed a few 1 rentals this year? Players who are looking to improve their stock but not commit to long term just yet like what Alshon Jeffery did last year? 

Like the Vontae Davis deal...

31 minutes ago, McBean said:

I think they will be aggressive in free agency because they know our draft picks are about to packaged for a QB.

Atleast I hope...

Not a ton of cap room to be aggressive in FA this year. A few judicious signings maybe, but they are #1 in dead cap for 2018. This improves a lot in 2019 but expect the belt to be a bit tight this offseason. 

32 minutes ago, McBean said:

I think they will be aggressive in free agency because they know our draft picks are about to packaged for a QB.

Atleast I hope...

Could be right, at least a contingency plan if we have to give up a ton of draft picks.

I also think it could be more of a model in the NFL where you plug and play pieces into the roster while avoiding the big contract.  These put such a huge strain on a team that plays a sport naturally riddled with injuries.

I don't recommend going crazy in FA, it almost never works out. I remember the NYG a few years ago spending all that money in free agency on the defense aand they were 1 and done in the playoffs, losing to the Packers I believe. Smart signings, get lucky and hopefully get a James Harrison type, that rarely happens but it can happen, look at Lorenzo Alexander.

44 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Oh yeah... I'm all for this. I think you can plug a lot of holes with 1 year contracts.

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a ton of cap room to be aggressive in FA this year. A few judicious signings maybe, but they are #1 in dead cap for 2018. This improves a lot in 2019 but expect the belt to be a bit tight this offseason. 

Wow no idea we were THAT bad in dead $$  that's a bummer for sure.  One thing for sure so far this offseason is shaping up nicely minus the crummy news about EW.

38 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Time to sign Sammy Watkins. Watkins, Benjamin, Jones. Nice group of WR's for a QB that's going to take a ton of draft capital to bring in.

Some folks think Sammy's a tease and want him to get overpaid somewhere else.  I continue to think he's a quality wr and would love to get him back.  However, if the current regime shipped him out because they didn't like his attitude (I don't know) they won't have any interest.  Will other teams outbid our price point?  I suspect there are teams with more to spend in FA this year that are willing to take a chance on him.

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I was literally debating posting and then I refreshed the page and then walla all of a sudden we signed Ivory! Matter of fact I was actually looking at a list of all the teams’ FAs.

I believe and firmly expect this to continue, first Vontae Davis and now Ivory. The Bills will be very active in free agency in filling in holes and reinforcing depth. DT Dontari Poe, G Jahri Evans, WR Donte Moncrief and LB Dannell Ellerbe would be FA targets that I would love to see the Bills get once free agency opens up. Players like these would certainly make our roster more solidified and our draft picks more effective imo.

Walla walla