Bills Sign Ivory

Chris Ivory has been one of the worst running backs in football over the last two years, averaging 3.6 yards per carry while producing more fumbles (seven) than touchdowns (five). It's no surprise he was cut by the Jaguars, but it's more difficult to... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nice. Good choice as the #2 RB.  He complements Shady very well as a power back. 

4th string running bk averaging 3.6 yds per carry the last 3yrs gonna be 30yrs old next season. He fits right into the old man bks they love these guys. The worst thing bout this is they didn't believe Gillislee was worth this same money basically. 

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

4th string running bk averaging 3.6 yds per carry the last 3yrs gonna be 30yrs old next season. He fits right into the old man bks they love these guys. The worst thing bout this is they didn't believe Gillislee was worth this same money basically. 

Ha, was he?

We also got a pick out of Gillislee

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I remember ivory, Bilal Powell and the other RB that they had at the time, that was scary.

Was it the Arizona RB?  Thomas?

Thomas Jones? 

Edit: I see now someone already answered it above

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

He hasn't been 4th string, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He fits a role on this team and represents an inexpensive upgrade from Tolbert.  They?  This is an entirely different front office headed by Beane. 

Ivory was not very impressive last year. Still an upgrade compared to Tolbert but not feeling too excited about it. Definitely overpaid for him imo, I think better options will sign for less. Blount signed for 1.3 last year after scoring 18tds. This is kind of a headscratcher.

31 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I don't get this fumble issue. If you have the rock in your hands, chances are something CAN happen. Ivory has fumbled 18 times in his career. I know he's been a PT back pretty much all that time. I just happened to pull up two RB's to see how many fumbles they had in their careers...Thurman and Emmitt. Thurman had 50, Emmitt, 62. For the life of me, I don't recall anyone ever complaining about their ability to hold onto the ball. BTW...Jim Brown, 57 times. 

Chris Ivory: 19 fumbles on 1206 touches (1112 carries + 94 receptions) - 1.57% fumble rate

Thurman:  50 fumbles on 3349 touches (2877 carries + 472 receptions) - 1.49% fumble rate

Emmitt: 61 fumbles on 4924 touches (4409 carries + 515 receptions) - 1.24% fumble rate

If Emmitt had fumbled at Ivory's rate, he would've had 77 fumbles in his career instead of 61.  (Only about 2-3 fumble difference for Thurman.) 

I also checked on a couple other RBs that came to mind:

LeGarrette Blount: 1.22% fumble rate

Antowain Smith: 1.30% fumble rate

Fred Jackson: 1.69% fumble rate

Marshawn Lynch: 1.07% fumble rate

LeSean McCoy: 0.84% fumble rate (!)

I generally agree that it's not THAT big a deal.  But I think it's a valid criticism, because fumbles are a lot easier to overlook if they're backed up by HOF production.  Much harder to swallow for a guy who's getting you 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Edited by Cash
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder if this means we won't draft someone to be the future. 

I don’t think it means that at all. Teams should have a stable of 3 good RB’s. They can still draft someone like Freeman in the 3rd to potentially take the reigns. 

Ivory and McCoy are up there in age.

Good signing though.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

To be fair, there's a good chance Rex would have also been able to get him since he is a former Jet and Rex loved them

The Bills have been making some moves jumping on the pre FA signings

Good gawd man - that comment about WRECK made me shiver.......so glad that blowhard CLOWN CAR and his idiot brother are FIRMLY in our rearview mirror!

Agree on the decent moves so far for sure!

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

I don’t think it means that at all. Teams should have a stable of 3 good RB’s. They can still draft someone like Freeman in the 3rd to potentially take the reigns. 

Ivory and McCoy are up there in age.

Good signing though.

I like it too.  Bills should still add a back in the draft.  Let him learn behind a few vets.

Don't want some rookie missing a blitz pick-up on Rosen's blindside next season.

10 minutes ago, Cash said:

Chris Ivory: 19 fumbles on 1206 touches (1112 carries + 94 receptions) - 1.57% fumble rate

Thurman:  50 fumbles on 3349 touches (2877 carries + 472 receptions) - 1.49% fumble rate

Emmitt: 61 fumbles on 4924 touches (4409 carries + 515 receptions) - 1.24% fumble rate

If Emmitt had fumbled at Ivory's rate, he would've had 77 fumbles in his career instead of 61.  (Only about 2-3 fumble difference for Thurman.) 

I also checked on a couple other RBs that came to mind:

LeGarrette Blount: 1.22% fumble rate

Antowain Smith: 1.30% fumble rate

Fred Jackson: 1.69% fumble rate

Marshawn Lynch: 1.07% fumble rate

LeSean McCoy: 0.84% fumble rate (!)

I generally agree that it's not THAT big a deal.  But I think it's a valid criticism, because fumbles are a lot easier to overlook if they're backed up by HOF production.  Much harder to swallow for a guy who's getting you 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Fred sucked, why did we keep him around.  Great stats.

16 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Ha, was he?

We also got a pick out of Gillislee

Really want to compare.  U think 4th string bks that are 30yrs old are worth 3mil guranteed.  Your boy Beane got fleeced these guys keep proving over and over that he they are horrible evaluators when it comes to offensive Football.  Ivory is at best a 3rd string bk at this point in his career.