Guys who killed the combine and moved up the draft. How were their careers?

Mango

We see it every single year. Guys end up showing up to the combine and put up huge measurables. Moving from the 4th to the 2nd round, etc. 

That said, scouts are watching tape on these guys all year long. Are there any major success stories of guys moving way up draft boards suddenly, then killing it in the NFL? Or should we be wary of rising combine stars?

always be wary of combine stars.... ALWAYS

game tape don't lie. the only thing the combine should be used for IMO is to find the tie breaker differences between closely rated players

• Like (+1) 2

First person that comes to mind was that running back from University of Arizona who dominated the combine, 40 in particular....but wasn't any good.  He was taken in the 2nd round and didn't do squat in the NFL.  Can't remember his name.

Bruce Campbell dominated the combine a few years ago.  He was an offensive tackle from Maryland was taken earlier just because of his measurable s.

He's in the CFL now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Campbell_(gridiron_football)

...Vernon Gholston- 6'3" and 266 lbs; 6th overall and started 3 games....bust.........

40 Yard Dash: 4.68 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 17.48 (MPH)
20 Yard Dash: 2.67 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.56 seconds
Bench Press: 37 reps (225 lb)
Wonderlic: (N/A) (0-50)
QB Ball Velocity: (N/A) (MPH)

Vertical Leap: 35.5 inches
Broad Jump: 125 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.40 seconds
Shuttle Split: (N/A) seconds
Three Cone: 7.12 seconds
60 Yd Shuttle: (N/A) seconds
Four Square: (N/A) seconds

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

First person that comes to mind was that running back from University of Arizona who dominated the combine, 40 in particular....but wasn't any good.  He was taken in the 2nd round and didn't do squat in the NFL.  Can't remember his name.

Bruce Campbell dominated the combine a few years ago.  He was an offensive tackle from Maryland was taken earlier just because of his measurable s.

He's in the CFL now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Campbell_(gridiron_football)

I'm fairly certain his last name was henry and he was taken by TENN even though they had plenty of talent in the backfield already..... and that was that. 

23 minutes ago, Mango said:

We see it every single year. Guys end up showing up to the combine and put up huge measurables. Moving from the 4th to the 2nd round, etc. 

That said, scouts are watching tape on these guys all year long. Are there any major success stories of guys moving way up draft boards suddenly, then killing it in the NFL? Or should we be wary of rising combine stars?

Watt and Donald maybe?  But they were already like.. top prospect guys coming out.  

Didn't our very own Aaron Maybin wow Skeletor and Russ at the 2009 Combine?  We all know how that turned out.  Just say no to smurfs on defense in the first round ... and maybe the second as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

Didn't our very own Aaron Maybin wow Skeletor and Russ at the 2009 Combine?  We all know how that turned out.  Just say no to smurfs on defense in the first round ... and maybe the second as well.

Maybin was actually pretty blah at the combine, did a little better at his pro day. Just terrible evaluation through and through.

16 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Mike Mamula always comes up in this conversation. 

as a BC guy, this is the first one that popped into my head.  if i remember correctly, he hired a high end trainer, (maybe an olympic trainer) who helped him on the specific drills of the combine.  he crushed it, and had a meh career.

There are a few things a "combine" type event would be useful for, beyond viewing game tape.

A sit-down, face-to-face interview would be a very helpful tool in player selection.

I can also see the value in getting definitive measurements on height, weight, hand size for skill position players, etc.

Beyond that, the combine is kind of a waste of time, which is why most of the people there "watching it" seem to be yawning, looking away, and doing other things (if you watched any of it on NFL network!).  No one seems to be paying attention.

The Mike Mamula talks always come up around now... as a combine warrior who rose through the draft rankings and then busted

but going back to his draft year scouts knew who he was and had him as an early pick. It was media who freaked out about the combine and made it seem like he was a late riser 

everyone I know who was scouting at that time said his combine was crazy... but that he was gonna go in the first regardless , that he was underrated at BC

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Mike Mamula talks always come up around now... as a combine warrior who rose through the draft rankings and then busted

but going back to his draft year scouts knew who he was and had him as an early pick. It was media who freaked out about the combine and made it seem like he was a late riser 

everyone I know who was scouting at that time said his combine was crazy... but that he was gonna go in the first regardless , that he was underrated at BC

He also had a pretty decent career... certainly disappointing for a #7 overall pick, but people act like he was just worthless.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MamuMi20.htm

8 sacks in year 2 (as a 16-game starter on a 10-6 team), 8.5 sacks in year 5 after missing year 4 with a knee injury.  I'm not sure why he stopped playing after 6 years (doesn't seem to be injury related), but he was an okay player during that time.  I'd gladly take him over Aaron Maybin or Erik Flowers.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe you are thinking of Beanie Wells.  Chris Henry is also a possibility and who the other poster is referencing.