2-28: McDermott & Beane Pressers/Interviews at the Scouting Combine

26CornerBlitz

Sal Capaccio  ?Retweeted Joey B

I’m still on the fence about that. Probably, but a chance they might not. I am still much more on the side that he will not be their QB in 2018, though.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/28/sean-mcdermott-qa-were-not-as-far-along-as-some-think/

Q: Do you plan to have Tyrod Taylor as your quarterback this year?

A: When you look at our quarterback position, Tyrod and Nate, those are two good quarterbacks. Tyrod now can add to his resume that he was instrumental in getting us to the playoffs and breaking what was a 17-year drought. You've heard me say it before, his work ethic and intangibles are unmatched, and his leadership that goes along with the position. We're still going through that process. We're in a good position with some options out there. So that will work itself out.

Q: How much have you dug into the QBs in the draft?

A: Just going chronologically through the offseason here, it's really going through free agency putting the due diligence and the work in on that end. Now getting into the draft. I had an opportunity to go to the Senior Bowl and evaluate and observe some of the players we see here today. Then you add the juniors that are coming out as well. I'm really just getting started on that end of it. We'll put the work in. we do have some picks out there that are good opportunities to improve our football team.

Q: How much does the timeline affect your decision on Tyrod Taylor, with the roster bonus due in March?

A: It's something obviously that comes into consideration because it is real. It's part of the equation. It's one of the variables as we continue to move forward and go through that process.

Q: If a team called interested in Tyrod Taylor for a trade, would you be comfortable moving him?

A: As I've said before, Tyrod's a good player. At this point in the process I've learned being around this league around 20 years that it's way too early to take anything off the table. Other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans. He's a good football player who has been instrumental in getting us to the playoffs. AT this point in the process, whether it's Tyrod or any of our players, you look at what's out there, you look at your options and you make decisions based on the best interests of your football team.

Edited by Reed83HOF

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I think was a report a couple weeks ago that he could be on the trade block and it's been discussed around here. But sounds like there is zero chance of Shady not being a Bill next year.

Beane said "expect" not "will".  So never say never. 

My guess is they discussed moving up with various trade partners, and some teams mentioned Shady as part of a package that would interest them

The Bills have decided that's off the table for the trade-up scenarios they know about. 

That's not to say a trade package that would interest them for Shady might not emerge, "never say never"

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I’m still on the fence about that. Probably, but a chance they might not. I am still much more on the side that he will not be their QB in 2018, though.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/28/sean-mcdermott-qa-were-not-as-far-along-as-some-think/

A: When you look at our quarterback position, Tyrod and Nate, those are two good quarterbacks. Tyrod now can add to his resume that he was instrumental in getting us to the playoffs and breaking what was a 17-year drought. You've heard me say it before, his work ethic and intangibles are unmatched, and his leadership that goes along with the position. We're still going through that process. We're in a good position with some options out there. So that will work itself out.

A: Just going chronologically through the offseason here, it's really going through free agency putting the due diligence and the work in on that end. Now getting into the draft. I had an opportunity to go to the Senior Bowl and evaluate and observe some of the players we see here today. Then you add the juniors that are coming out as well. I'm really just getting started on that end of it. We'll put the work in. we do have some picks out there that are good opportunities to improve our football team.

Q: How much does the timeline affect your decision on Tyrod Taylor, with the roster bonus due in March?

A: It's something obviously that comes into consideration because it is real. It's part of the equation. It's one of the variables as we continue to move forward and go through that process.

Q: If a team called interested in Tyrod Taylor for a trade, would you be comfortable moving him?

A: As I've said before, Tyrod's a good player. At this point in the process I've learned being around this league around 20 years that it's way too early to take anything off the table. Other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans. He's a good football player who has been instrumental in getting us to the playoffs. AT this point in the process, whether it's Tyrod or any of our players, you look at what's out there, you look at your options and you make decisions based on the best interests of your football team.

Lots of smoke and mirrors this time of the year, but I can almost gleam, from his comments here, a hint that they might have an interested trade partner for Tyrod? 

I think it would be foolish to cut him, but also very foolish not to seriously consider a trade.

2 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Lots of smoke and mirrors this time of the year, but I can almost gleam, from his comments here, a hint that they might have an interested trade partner for Tyrod? 

I think it would be foolish to cut him, but also very foolish not to seriously consider a trade.

He isn't gonna be on this team IMO...very small chance. I do want to see us being aggressive, but yet smart, in getting a QB. I think when you couple with with what Gettleman said about trading out of #2 but being smart will require us to make 2 trades; one to get at least or within 10 and then that pick plus whatever to the Giants...

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Just reading that (and keep in mind I am not nearly as rabidly anti-Taylor as some here), I translate that as "we're seriously trying to trade Tyrod"

1) To trade him, you have to convince people he will not wind up in the Alley to be Free-cycled.  The only definitive statement here is "cutting him is not in our plans".

2) Mentions resume.  You build your resume if you're trying to market yourself (or have someone market you)

3) To trade Tyrod, talk up his good points.  Mentions playoffs twice, 'instrumental' twice, 'good football player' twice, 'unmatched work ethic and intangibles'.  Since in other contexts McDermott cheapens the team's playoff accomplishment saying "we're not as close as people think", this sounds specifically like talking up Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane said "expect" not "will".  So never say never. 

My guess is they discussed moving up with various trade partners, and some teams mentioned Shady as part of a package that would interest them

The Bills have decided that's off the table for the trade-up scenarios they know about. 

That's not to say a trade package that would interest them for Shady might not emerge, "never say never"

I think Shady is the one guy on the team who really is untouchable. I think McDermott learned something about team camaraderie from the Peterman debacle. The leadership council came to him and said Tyrod has to be the starter because the team respected Tyrod, and McDermott realized he was losing the team by starting Peterman. Trading Shady would lose the team. He's an important presence in the locker room and he's never given less than 100%. He represents everything the new Bills are all about. I'm pretty sure Dennison lost his job in large part because the QB switch was his choice. I don't expect McDermott to make a mistake like that again.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

My takeaway is Cordy is healthy.  That would be fantastic to have a healthy Cordy.  That would somewhat offset losing Eric

Slightly above average centers are easier to replace, though I realize he's an excellent locker room fella as well.  Today's defensive schemes require skill at both tackle spots.  It would be big, assuming we don't end up trading Glenn in order to move up and grab a qb.  Personally, I'd rather find a way to keep him and move up.  A solid oline would certainly improve the potential for a young qb to have success.

Bills GM: Tyrod on roster 'until we decide different'

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills brass made it clear Wednesday at the NFL Combine where they stand with Tyrod Taylor: He's on the roster right now. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Bills general manager Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott toed the line when speaking about their starting quarterback, never talking in firm, glowing language.

That final "until we decide different" caveat hovered loudly over both Beane and McDermott's pressers on Wednesday. The Bills are hanging onto Taylor until something better comes along like a teenage girl searching for a new boyfriend. There's a decent chance nothing will, and Buffalo could head into the 2018 season with a QB the franchise is lukewarm about.

3 minutes ago, Cash said:

Has the full audio of either interview been posted anywhere yet?

Here's the video link for McDermott.

MCDERMOTT: "YOU'RE ALWAYS LOOKING TO EVOLVE" (22:35)
Bills HC Sean McDermott spoke to the media at the 2018 NFL Combine. McDermott discussed what his staff looks for when they evaluate players and areas in which the team can improve as they prepare for free agency and the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/28/brandon-beane-qa-bills-gm-on-new-cb-ransoms-combine/

Q: In regard to Tyrod Taylor, how tricky is the roster bonus going to be in keeping him on the roster?

A: Tyrod's on our roster right now. That's the plan. We're just taking it day by day. Like every position, we're trying to get better everywhere. We're looking at every position, including quarterback. But Tyrod did a lot of good things for us, so I'm not really worried about the bonus. I see him on the roster right now. Unless something changes, he'll be here through that part.

Q: Does it make you cringe, the price it would take if you want to go into the top five to make a trade? I'm sure you like the fact you have a lot of picks.

A: I do like my picks, you nailed that. It's one of those things where if you're gonna move up, especially in Round One, it takes a lot. The higher you go, it exponentially increases. So you have to feel good about what you're doing. You can't just go up there, hey, we need a quarterback, we're going to mortgage everything to go up there. We've got to know that we feel this guy is the guy and is worth the ransom or whatever you want to call it that it would take to move wherever you have to move to get a guy you think fits your long term plan.

Q: Do you think it's a seller's market this year with all these teams that seem to be chasing a quarterback?

A: I don't know. I haven't gotten into any deep conversations with anybody because we're still evaluating. I haven't met some of the quarterbacks. So all I've seen is them on tape. You hear some things about them, with some of the recon we've done talking to some of their coaches and trainers and people in the building. I have not met all of these quarterbacks. I'm going to meet some of them this week. Then we have a plan in March and through April until the draft to continue to process. The combine is another step. Until I can put that final value on where we see each of these quarterbacks I'm not going to worry about where I'd have to move to if we decided we need to move up and get one.

Q: You only have two QBs on the roster even if Tyrod Taylor is one. Will you be looking at free agency there?

A: We're looking at everything. We really are. We're seeing what's out there. This year it's been well publicized there's more veteran quarterbacks that are out there. We have to do our recon on those. If we see something that seems like it's a good fit for us and upgrades us, then we'd look to do that. Again, we're happy with where we're at with Tyrod and Nathan until we decide different, really.

Q: Your view on this QB class and how has that view evolved?

A: There's a lot of good players. Again, I haven't got to meet them all but there's some guys who have done a lot of good things. I know all the mocks have five, six guys, maybe some even have seven. But there's a lot of guys, different flavors, different skill sets, different personalities. Not everybody is a fit for every team. We've got to decide what's the best fit for the Buffalo Bills.

Q: How important with the QBs is the personality piece and the connection with Sean McDermott and Brian Daboll?

A: The intangibles of the quarterback, it's the most important position, it's a quarterback league. There's so much expected out of that position. It's the closest thing to a coach on the field. The leadership that's required. So to your point, you're going to vet a quarterback probably more than any other position. I know at Carolina, the guy we vetted the most was Cam Newton. We spent a lot of hours before we came to that decision. As we go through this process we will investigate all these guys. But we'll do that every year.

Q: How do you balance the cap space you have, free agency and the chance to move up?

A: Picks are valuable. I trust my scouts. I trust our vision. I trust the coaches in the process that we're going to select good players. Any time you're packaging picks in any round to move up you've got to know you're doing it for the right guy. So I do take that very seriously. I have to look at those things. There's a time to be aggressive. You've got to know when that is. Part of it's your gut. Part of it is all the research you've done on these guys. . . . I value this guy at the 12th. If he falls past 10, let's go up to get him. If he falls to 20, let's go get him there. We're in the third round and we had a second-round value, we believe in this second-round grade, let's go up and get him.

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 2-28: McDermott & Beane Pressers/Interviews at the Scouting Combine
Sal Capaccio  ?Verified account @SalSports 28m28 minutes ago
You have to really, really parse words and try to read into what McDermott and/or Beane said re: Tyrod today. Phrases used: -"At this point" (used 4 times) -"Right now" -"Day-by-day" -"Unless something changes" -"he'll be here through that part" -"Way too early"

Sal Capaccio  ?Verified account @SalSports 26m26 minutes ago
One thing neither said was that he will be on the Bills' roster in 2018.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think Shady is the one guy on the team who really is untouchable. I think McDermott learned something about team camaraderie from the Peterman debacle. The leadership council came to him and said Tyrod has to be the starter because the team respected Tyrod, and McDermott realized he was losing the team by starting Peterman. Trading Shady would lose the team. He's an important presence in the locker room and he's never given less than 100%. He represents everything the new Bills are all about. I'm pretty sure Dennison lost his job in large part because the QB switch was his choice. I don't expect McDermott to make a mistake like that again.

Do you know this for a fact?  If so how?

The "Dennison lost his job...." part I believe.  It's called "making your Boss look like a damn fool in Public" and is recognized universally as a CLM (career limiting move).

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane's presser was pretty good.

I got a better feel on how he does business.

I'm liking him more and more.

I'd agree. The only trouble is, it will probably sound the same for the next however many years he's GM. He's really going to have to start using 'due diligence' though. 'Recon' isn't proper GM speak. ;)

Bills GM Brandon Beane spoke to the media at the 2018 NFL Combine. Beane discussed what it's like being at the Combine for the first time as General Manager and provided insight into his staff's evaluation process.

HC Sean McDermott spoke to Bills' Insider Chris Brown on Wednesday in Indianapolis.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The thing that really really really surprised me is neither coach or GM said Tyrod sucks and we need to trade him now!!

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Tyrod must really be feeling the love.

Of course, I hold him to higher standards when it comes to things like feeling love, so maybe I'm expecting too much.

While Im not even a smig of a TT fan these days......I got to wonder what his mind is going through right now? 

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think this is pretty funny...

Here are how 2 different sources present a quote by McDermott... notice that one omits a mere 10 words from what McDermott says, for some reason:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2018/02/28/buffalo-bills-nfl-scouting-combine-tyrod-taylor-future-nfl-draft/381999002/

“At this point in the process … it's way too early to take anything off the table other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans. He's a good football player who has been instrumental in getting us to the playoffs. Whether it's Tyrod or any of our players, you look at what's out there, you look at your options, and you make decisions based on the best interests of your football team.”

vs.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Quick-Hits-II-Bills-see-Taylor-on-their-roster/381c9772-ebef-41e3-baa6-e95e7fe7d022

“At this point in the process I’ve learned being around this league around 20 years that it’s way too early to take anything off the table, other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans,” McDermott said. “He’s a good football player who has been instrumental in getting us to the playoffs. At this point in the process, whether it’s Tyrod or any of our players, you look at what’s out there, you look at your options and you make decisions based on the best interests of your football team.”

That's a really interesting omission.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think this is pretty funny...

Here are how 2 different sources present a quote by McDermott... notice that one omits a mere 10 words from what McDermott says, for some reason:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2018/02/28/buffalo-bills-nfl-scouting-combine-tyrod-taylor-future-nfl-draft/381999002/

“At this point in the process … it's way too early to take anything off the table other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans. He's a good football player who has been instrumental in getting us to the playoffs. Whether it's Tyrod or any of our players, you look at what's out there, you look at your options, and you make decisions based on the best interests of your football team.”

vs.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Quick-Hits-II-Bills-see-Taylor-on-their-roster/381c9772-ebef-41e3-baa6-e95e7fe7d022

“At this point in the process I’ve learned being around this league around 20 years that it’s way too early to take anything off the table, other than cutting him at this point, which is not in our plans,” McDermott said. “He’s a good football player who has been instrumental in getting us to the playoffs. At this point in the process, whether it’s Tyrod or any of our players, you look at what’s out there, you look at your options and you make decisions based on the best interests of your football team.”

That's a really interesting omission.

The Anti-Tyrod conspiracy continues!