Where are the worst drivers located?

Another Fan

20 hours ago, Pete said:

#1 New Jersey

#2 Mass

I live in CT so see my fair share of both- and they are horrible drivers.

I agree.  I'm shocked that the major Interstates in this country aren't perpetually littered with the wreckage of Jerseyites who insist on cruising along in the left lane at or just below the speed limit.

The Bay Area.  Lots of Asians there.  Get behind someone who is driving terribly.  For instance is usually driving well below the speed limit in the fast lane and you can be sure it's an Asian.  I was on the phone with a friend.  She was driving in GA and I was here in CA.   She was bitching about how badly the the person in front of her was driving.  I said "probably Asain".  She passes the woman and said "Oh my God!!  She is Asain!!"   I could tell from 2,000 miles away. 

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

pb180228.gif

I've said a hundred times and I'll say it a hundred more.  Rat is Tom. 

On 2/27/2018 at 10:30 AM, chknwing334 said:

Another vote for NJ.  I am amazed that the streets here are not lined with burning wreckage every day.  Half the drivers are oblivious to their surroundings, and the other half simply don't care.  You are more likely to see bigfoot roaming the streets than a blinker.  Cars with more than 1 working brake light are most likely lost and from out of state.

Admittedly my NJ experience is largely limited to highways, but I always found NJ (and really the whole tri-state area) relatively easy to manage because of the consistency. You can safely assume that in any situation someone will drive as fast and aggressive as possible.  In NJ it's just 10 mph faster in every situation than in CT.  NY is entirely traffic dependent.  MA is the same expect people are bigger a--holes and you get the sense that being an a--hole is more of a motivation than getting somewhere more quickly.  Someone should do a study to see if MA drivers have become bigger a--holes since the Pats* and Red Sox starting winning championships.

CA by comparison is somewhat more courteous because unlike everywhere on the east coast this isn't the case:

On 2/27/2018 at 12:44 PM, Rob's House said:

DC is pretty bad. Your blinker isn't seen as a warning that the other car is moving into your lane, but rather as a notice to speed up and fill the gap.

Edited by KD in CA

16 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

Several years ago to appease my wife I was making an effort to clean up the road rage cursing.  I changed "C'mon Dildo" to "C'mon Della".

One holiday weekend I was driving from Michigan back to Buffalo.  There is a stretch near Toledo where you have to exit the highway in order to pick up Rt 80/90.  This is always a bottleneck and this time I was also behind this fool riding down the center of 2 lanes going about 10 miles below the speed limit and now slowing to a stop at a still green light.  As my head was about to pop I yelled my new, "C'mon Della!" 

As I am now behind this idiot at the red light, I glance at the license plate.  And, there it was, 'Della'. 

Was the next Guy's plate "Mudder Fudger"?

On 2/27/2018 at 12:58 PM, Fadingpain said:

In the civilized world?  

The USA, by far.  I see no difference in driver behavior among US localities.  

Our poor road quality, artificial speed limits, lack of driver education, and total lack of lane discipline combined with cell phone usage make driving on American highways a scary, chaotic adventure.

It's every man for himself and you don't know what anyone is going to do at any moment in time.

Zipping along on proper roads in an orderly fashion at 115mph on the Autobahn in Germany is massively safer, more predictable, and more relaxing.

I also give high marks to the Italian Autostradas as well; great lane discipline, great roads, high avg. vehicle speed and attentive drivers. 

I’m not sure where you went in Italy, but you might have had a different experience driving around Naples. 

17 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Admittedly my NJ experience is largely limited to highways, but I always found NJ (and really the whole tri-state area) relatively easy to manage because of the consistency. You can safely assume that in any situation someone will drive as fast and aggressive as possible.  In NJ it's just 10 mph faster in every situation than in CT.  NY is entirely traffic dependent.  MA is the same expect people are bigger a--holes and you get the sense that being an a--hole is more of a motivation than getting somewhere more quickly.  Someone should do a study to see if MA drivers have become bigger a--holes since the Pats* and Red Sox starting winning championships.

CA by comparison is somewhat more courteous because unlike everywhere on the east coast this isn't the case:

Interesting you say that.  I was around 8 in Larry Birds last couple seasons but I was thinking how I used to like those teams.

Anyway was it only this century in your experience they became more a-holeish.  I mean today not that I follow b ball but couldn't root for the Celtics.  

On 2/27/2018 at 3:44 PM, Rob's House said:

DC is pretty bad. Your blinker isn't seen as a warning that the other car is moving into your lane, but rather as a notice to speed up and fill the gap.

Well, yeah, In big-city traffic, you use the blinker to signal a move you are making, not to get someone to slow down & let you in, ain’t nobody got time for that.:D

1. Seemingly wherever I drive

2. 90 East between Orchard Park and Pembroke after a Bills game

3. The Baltimore to Washington deathway

4. St Thomas ... they drive on the proper side of the vehicle but on the wrong side of the road. When I rented a jeep there the guy at the rental agency told me to keep my arm out the window hitting the weeds on the side of the road to know I was in the proper lane.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, LeviF91 said:

Quebecois are pretty awful too, see them a lot on the Northway and on I-87 between Albany and NYC

Excellent call.

I've also noticed a lot more Pennsylvania and Connecticut drivers lately.  Both horrible.  Pennsylvania likes the middle lane and cruise control; Connecticut is overly aggressive.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Well, yeah, In big-city traffic, you use the blinker to signal a move you are making, not to get someone to slow down & let you in, ain’t nobody got time for that.:D

I now wait until I've made my move before I hit the blinker. That way by the time they realize they want to cut me off I'm already in there.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've also noticed a lot more Pennsylvania and Connecticut drivers lately.  Both horrible.  Pennsylvania likes the middle lane and cruise control; Connecticut is overly aggressive.

I made a few phone calls back home to PA, they're just trolling you on my behalf

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I now wait until I've made my move before I hit the blinker. That way by the time they realize they want to cut me off I'm already in there.

Odds are anyone who can’t get over to a faster lane without relying on help from other cars will drive the speed limit at best, or probably below.  I have no problem with them moving over behind me.

• Like (+1) 1

There are different kinds of bad. Places like NJ, LA etc have aggressive drivers. I’ve seen a lot of annoying texting and driving issues in college towns. And those darn 90 year old snowbirds in Florida who have no idea their blinker has been on for miles are no treat as they clog up the left lane going 15 mph under the limit. 

Years ago when my kids were young in FL we were on our way to a kids sporting event. I pulled up to a red light and noticed my parents were right next to us, heading to the same field. We waved to them, and shouted with our windows down. Nothing. A quick toot on the horn. Nothing. I layed on the horn. Still nothing. Staring straight ahead. No way they could hear a fire engine coming through. Or even a train. I knew it was trouble, then a week later my father renewed his drivers license for many years....by mail. He wasn’t really safe to drive in and do it in person. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2018 at 8:37 PM, Bad Things said:

When I used to live in Colorado, we would avoid cars with Wyoming plates like the plague.  They were horrible drivers.

That said, foreign visitors driving in New Zealand have to be the worst.

Most aren't used to driving in the left lane, and many Asian drivers have barely any actual driving experience before coming here.  

On top of all that, our South Island roads are very twisty and incredibly scenic, so many drivers spend time looking at the beautiful landscape instead of the road in front of them.

It's gotten to the point that I'm considering getting rid of my motorcycle.  Too many close calls.

Here's a shot of my bike on the lower South Island.

12309826_10153501213398551_4232488273061888597_o-2.jpg

I was just looking through the local news and saw this story.  (About an American tourist causing an accident by driving on the wrong side of the road.)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/101893120/american-causes-crash-after-driving-on-wrong-side-of-the-road

On 3/1/2018 at 6:16 PM, Fan in San Diego said:

Good one, anywhere there is a high concentration of Asian drivers.

the rearview mirror that is 4 feet wide and leaned into the whole trip scares me when i become aware someone is doing this