Marcus Peters to Rams - '18 4th & 19 2nd round picks

Reed83HOF

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That very much remains to be seen

Oh I agree.  I think it was embarrassing how quickly people labeled Goff a bust. But he isn't established yet. I think a big reason for Sammy's lack of production is Goff has a shaky deep ball.

but he has at least 2 years as a starter and being on a cheap deal for a qb gives the Rams a ton of flexibility that other playoff teams don't normally have.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

:lol:

:lol::lol:

9-7 with EJ and Orton 

8-8 with Tyrod (who we both  aren't fans of)

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh I agree.  I think it was embarrassing how quickly people labeled Goff a bust. But he isn't established yet. I think a big reason for Sammy's lack of production is Goff has a shaky deep ball.

but he has at least 2 years as a starter and being on a cheap deal for a qb gives the Rams a ton of flexibility that other playoff teams don't normally have.

9-7 with EJ and Orton 

8-8 with Tyrod (who we both  aren't fans of)

Worst contract ever to dareus, trading up for a WR. Dude was awful.

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What are the Rams doing?? They have $40 million in cap space, about half of which will go to Aaron Donald. They have multiple pending free agents who were starters last year. They only have 2 picks in the first 100 this year. What could they possibly give up for Peters without sacrificing the future of the team?

Rams are going to be fine imo. They have the space to sign the important guys w/ what I imagine will have to be backloaded contracts and their offensive nucleus is young enough to manage financially. They're a little top heavy talent-wise and I don't know offhand how deep their roster runs defensively but they have more than enough to be in contention for the next 2-3 years, especially if they draft wisely.

36 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

The future of the team is ....on their roster. It's stacked. This was a move to sacrifice draft capital to avoid paying Johnson and still have a legit number one corner.

If I was a Rams fan I wouldn't be excited about Les Snead handling all the upcoming decisions but this looks smart on the surface. It keeps the tag available, saves money short term, I expect them to use whatever picks they do have on oline.

32 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i would worry more about what the chiefs were doing then the rams. the rams got a cost controlled top db in the league. 

I'd be willing to bet that Peters is getting a huge new contract right after joining the Rams.  And good luck to Sean McVay in trying to control him then.  

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

im jealous of the talent on the Rams now.  It's funny because their GM was so awful for a lot of years. Their patience with him is paying off.

I'd be fine with just Goff. 

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Rams are going to be fine imo. They have the space to sign the important guys w/ what I imagine will have to be backloaded contracts and their offensive nucleus is young enough to manage financially. They're a little top heavy talent-wise and I don't know offhand how deep their roster runs defensively but they have more than enough to be in contention for the next 2-3 years, especially if they draft wisely.

I think they'll have a couple years with early playoff exits, followed by a total capsize. Heh, no pun intended. Seems like every few years there's a team that tries to build by adding a bunch of talent through free agency and they've all failed spectacularly. Remember the Eagles dream team? If you aren't drafting and developing your own players you aren't set up for the future.

That being said McVay is a great coach and they do have a glut of talent so they could conceivably win a Super Bowl before their cap blows up in their faces, but IMO they're going all in way too early.

Edited by HappyDays

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think they'll have a couple years with early playoff exits, followed by a total capsize. Heh, no pun intended. Seems like every few years there's a team that tries to build by adding a bunch of talent through free agency and they've all failed spectacularly. Remember the Eagles dream team? If you aren't drafting and developing your own players you aren't set up for the future.

That being said McVay is a great coach and they do have a glut of talent so they could conceivably win a Super Bowl before their cap blows up in their faces, but IMO they're going all in way too early.

Yeh I tend to agree, but it's all about windows in today's NFL. Seahawks had one of the most dominant defenses in history and won a total 1 Super Bowl before they had to start tearing it down. You gotta strike while the iron's hot.

I think this move makes more sense for the Chiefs than it does for the Rams. The low part of the entire KC season was this guys meltdown. This move is about clearing negative pieces from the board before giving the reigns to a young QB to lead the team. I also think that with the addition of Amerson (who looked like a good CB before Oakland imploded) and Fuller make this move reasonable. Adding a first round pick this year (which i assume is the basis of the trade) is a big deal for a team trying to find the missing piece. A Courtland Sutton, Calvin Ridley, or Christian Kirk can make a huge impact for Mahomes. 

As for the Rams, I agree that it's questionable to get a limited upgrade over Johnson just to avoid paying him when you know Peters will command at least as much in the next year or so. Also hard to see adding this personality into the mix with such a young group. 

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Hey Yolo- Can you tell me how to embed a tweet? :P

Ok it’s pretty easy and quick once you get the hang of it. This is all from mobile (iPhone) :

to the right of each tweet is a little down arrow. Click on the down arrow and choose option “share tweet via....” then click on “copy link to tweet” 

then go to TBD wherever you want to put the tweet, tap the screen and it should give you an option to “paste”. Click “paste” and the screen should tell you that the tweet is embedding. It take a couple seconds. Then you should see the whole tweet just like you see it on twitter. 

Hope that helps! 

Edit - I see you already did it so cool

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Ok it’s pretty easy and quick once you get the hang of it. This is all from mobile (iPhone) :

to the right of each tweet is a little down arrow. Click on the down arrow and choose option “share tweet via....” then click on “copy link to tweet” 

then go to TBD wherever you want to put the tweet, tap the screen and it should give you an option to “paste”. Click “paste” and the screen should tell you that the tweet is embedding. It take a couple seconds. Then you should see the whole tweet just like you see it on twitter. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks! Just what I needed!

The good news is that the Rams are putting together a roster of talented young players. The bad news is that, eventually, they’ll have to pay them.

Already, the Rams have to decide whether to pay or tag receiver Sammy Watkins (acquired along with a sixth-round pick for E.J. Gaines and a second-round pick) or safety Lamarcus Joyner. Defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who enters the option year of his contract, already has held out in an effort to get paid; absent an extension, they’ll be staring at the franchise tag for him in 2019.

Peters now joins running back Todd Gurley as 2015 first-round picks who are entering their fourth NFL seasons. The fifth-year option, which presumably will be exercised on both, pushes them to potential free agency in 2020.

Next comes quarterback Jared Goff, who will be eligible for a new contract after the 2018 season — and eligible for free agency in 2021.

Every team needs a great nucleus of young talent, but at some point those players need to get paid. It’s difficult to give out contracts at or near market value to five or six players and still have a deep and competitive team around them, as the Seahawks have learned

Imagine trying to sign Todd Gurley and Marcus Peters in the same off-season.

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think a really interesting part of this is that the Rams did not want to include Robert Quinn in the trade (Per Rap), even though theres supposedly talk about them wanting to cut him to save money... 

Maybe they thought it was too much,and wish to get a pick back from him from another team 

If Mahomes turns out to be a bust, the Chiefs franchise is in serious trouble going forward, but............

with that being said..........

if Mahomes is the franchise QB, it will make the Chiefs a constant contender and be a serious black eye to McDermott (maybe not Beane since he wasn't there). Which means that the Chiefs trading away players like Peters might not amount to much.

41 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If Mahomes turns out to be a bust, the Chiefs franchise is in serious trouble going forward, but............

with that being said..........

if Mahomes is the franchise QB, it will make the Chiefs a constant contender and be a serious black eye to McDermott (maybe not Beane since he wasn't there). Which means that the Chiefs trading away players like Peters might not amount to much.

You still need to field good players at other positions besides QB. 

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Not really sure how the Rams plan to afford him. 

They've already got to pay Aaron Donald the richest contract for a defensive player in NFL history and find a way to keep Lamarcus Joyner, Sammy Watkins, Mark Barron, and Robert quinn. After THAT, they're going to have to pay Todd Gurley and Jared Goff. 

I just don't see where they're getting all this money.

It actually may help them cap wise (in the short term)

He is entering the 4th year of his rookie deal with a $1.75M cap hit, and the Rams can pick up his 5th year option. So they can have him for 2 seasons for what, about $10M total (or less?)? 

Figure Trumaine Johnson is going to cost, I would guess at least $10M per year, if not $12-$14M (which is what I've seen projected on the Rams blog). He's one of the best available free agent CBs and I'm sure will be paid by someone. 

So the Rams trade for Peters and save a good deal of cap space th next 2 seasons. 

It may give them the ability to keep someone else now. And who knows what will happen after the next 2 seasons, when it's time to sign him. A lot can change between now and then. 

I do agree with what you're saying though. They have a lot of important (and likely Big) contracts coming up...

Dont forget, Aaron Donald is in the last year of his deal too. He very well could end up the highest paid defensive tackle in the league. Suh money! 

Theres no way they can keep everyone, not without moving on from some others (like Tavon Austin). 

Edited by BillsFan4

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Reminds me of Doug Whaley. No question Peters is a great player, and the move allows them to tag Sammy and let Johnson walk. But they have no draft picks to fill the pipeline.

I'm sorry but if they tag Sammy they are crazy.  Would you be willing to pay him that much when you have limited cap space and Donald to sign?  Sammy is going to hit the market. 

13 hours ago, papazoid said:

if marcus peters was in this draft....he'd be the first non QB taken.....maybe first overall

lol, character and contract need to come into play.  There is a reason why there wasn't much interest in Peters.  The guy is a total headcase, and quite frankly, was apart of very mediocre defenses.  He has been on a decline since his rookie year.

3 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

lol, character and contract need to come into play.  There is a reason why there wasn't much interest in Peters.  The guy is a total headcase, and quite frankly, was apart of very mediocre defenses.  He has been on a decline since his rookie year.

Peters leads all players with 19 interceptions since 2015, and his passer rating allowed has remained at an astonishingly low level during that span. (Peters' passer ratings allowed from 2015-17, according to Pro Football Focus: 67.1, 65.6 and 66.0.) Not to mention, he has discouraged quarterbacks from throwing the ball in his direction, due to his remarkable ball-hawking skills on the perimeter (targets have dropped from 151 to 91 to 72 each year)

he's arguably a Top 5 corner.....no doubt Top 10

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917349/article/patriots-qb-succession-plan-marcus-peters-trade-assessment

he's under team control for 2 seasons (if they exercise his option and way below franchise tag level)

cap hit 2017 : $1.7 mil

cap hit 2018 : $9.5 mil

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/marcus-peters-16742/

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Peters leads all players with 19 interceptions since 2015, and his passer rating allowed has remained at an astonishingly low level during that span. (Peters' passer ratings allowed from 2015-17, according to Pro Football Focus: 67.1, 65.6 and 66.0.) Not to mention, he has discouraged quarterbacks from throwing the ball in his direction, due to his remarkable ball-hawking skills on the perimeter (targets have dropped from 151 to 91 to 72 each year)

he's arguably a Top 5 corner.....no doubt Top 10

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917349/article/patriots-qb-succession-plan-marcus-peters-trade-assessment

he's under team control for 2 seasons (if they exercise his option and way below franchise tag level)

cap hit 2017 : $1.7 mil

cap hit 2018 : $9.5 mil

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/marcus-peters-16742/

That's great and all but the dude can't stay under control. 

9.5 is a lot and wait till after that. 

We got Tre White late first round and is on a cheap deal for 4-5 years.  I wouldn't give anything more than a 3rd for Peters, like Benjamin got.

20 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Wouldn't shock me if it's a 2nd rounder with LAR knowing that they'll recoup multiple 3's next year with at least 2 of Joyner, Trumaine, and Sammy leaving in FA.

Amazing how that works, we sent Sammy Watkins away to another team who's going to get their there compensary or a pic k