Trade up or bust

QBorBust2018

8 hours ago, KingRex said:

Trading up makes sense mostly to try to satisfy whining fans, but makes little football sense.

This TEAM desperately needs to reload in order to:

A. Make one of the oldest rosters in the league (this is true even with the Bills scoring heavily in the last draft) younger( This is a huge need not only simply due to age, but older players cause larger cap hits

B.  Fill a # of holes left by injuries such as LCenter and older players like4 Shady being unlikely to last forever.

If the Bills lose their 2 first rounders and one or both of their second rounders to trade up, they not only risk that their pick will be more Ryan Leaf than Peyton Manning, but even if he is as good as Peyton, the simple fact was that this talented rookie elevated his Colts from 3-13 w/o him to 3-13 w/ him his rookie year.

Drafting a talented rookie while not reloading this team would be like putting a Formula 1 engine into a VW bug.

And that's if we're lucky and he turns out not to be Andrew Luck equivalent.

If anything the Bills should trade down.

Yup. That's the traditional wisdom, and for very good reason. Never ever trade up, always trade down, unless you're going after a franchise quarterback.

Oh, wait.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Lets never draft a QB high until we have the perfect coaching staff, great WRs and an elite o-line. Some of you are waiting for the perfect situation to draft one high and it will never happen. 

Yes, let's just speak in absolutes. There was absolutely no place I said anything about 1. Not drafting a QB, 2. Drafting other positions or 3. Even drafting a QB high.

I'm sorry, if having an inexperienced QB coach and a terrible OL coach isn't a concern for you...awesome. you get a gold star. ?

If you're not nervous about sinking...I don't know 3 first round picks into a guy that will be directly coached up by a WR coach... phenomenal. You guessed it ?

I don't care how highly though of a young QB is...he still needs proper coaching and to be set up for success.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Forget about the holes.  This was a playoff team, sure it has holes but you would not be bringing a rookie QB into a dumpster fire.  And forget about Manning's 3-13 rookie year.... the NFL is far gentler to rookie QBs now than it was in 1998.  

It was not really a playoff team.  They ticked a box with a little help from Cincinnati and, expectedly, got dominated in the WC game.  Just keeping it real. 

15 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Yes, let's just speak in absolutes. There was absolutely no place I said anything about 1. Not drafting a QB, 2. Drafting other positions or 3. Even drafting a QB high.

I'm sorry, if having an inexperienced QB coach and a terrible OL coach isn't a concern for you...awesome. you get a gold star. ?

If you're not nervous about sinking...I don't know 3 first round picks into a guy that will be directly coached up by a WR coach... phenomenal. You guessed it ?

I don't care how highly though of a young QB is...he still needs proper coaching and to be set up for success.

Wow 2 Internet gold stars! Today was a big big day for me.

Just now, sleeby said:

It was not really a playoff team.  They ticked a box with a little help from Cincinnati and, expectedly, got dominated in the WC game.  Just keeping it real. 

But it really was a Playoff team. Like, literally they were in the playoffs. Doesn't matter that Cincy "helped" them. If that game is played at 1pm...same results happen and there isn't talk of "help".

And since when is losing a road playoff game by 7 being dominated? Had the opportunity to tie it on last possession...that's not being "dominated". 

Just keeping it realer

9 hours ago, KingRex said:

Trading up makes sense mostly to try to satisfy whining fans, but makes little football sense.

. . . . .

If anything the Bills should trade down.

I agree.  Buffalo has a fascination for a magical bullet - a one shot that hits perfectly.  See the sabers.  Remember the odd bass pro in the old aud will somehow resurrect the city?  Thr city is now on the right path by doing multiple, obvious things to improve and not fantasizing about nonsense. 

I hope the process is not playing roulette and putting all in on one guy.  If that guy fails it will set us back at least two more years due to all the picks we gave away.  Luck has not been strong here and yet so many fancy that route.  

I also think that getting that WC appearance was for the whiny fans (ticket sales).  We could be looking at picks 5 and 22 now.  Or 10 and 22.  I do seem to be alone in that logic here though; here meaning all of buffalo, heh.

6 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

But it really was a Playoff team. Like, literally they were in the playoffs. Doesn't matter that Cincy "helped" them. If that game is played at 1pm...same results happen and there isn't talk of "help".

And since when is losing a road playoff game by 7 being dominated? Had the opportunity to tie it on last possession...that's not being "dominated". 

Just keeping it realer

By definition you are correct - they were in the playoffs.  They stood as close to zero a chance of a Superbowl appearance as about any WC ever has though.  They were the red meat for the WC weekend to feast on was all.

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

So you are saying Darnold is a more talented, more athletic Nate Peterman?     Get him and kick Nate to the curb.

I will say I think the ceiling is higher on Darnold than Peterman. The jury is still out on both. Darnold has a stronger arm. I'm not sure what Peterman had anything to do with this.

15 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Trading up to 10, I could see but to #3? I'd pass on that.

Yes, more than us agreeing I believe Beane and McDermott are not gambling anything more than our 2-1st's on a QB.

Our 2 #1's get us to about 10.

Tampa had Winston #1 overall.  His 3 year combined record is 20-28.

Titans with Mariota is 21-27.  I would also argue that the Titans 9-7 record would be less if the Colts and Texans had a QB for the year.

Colts with Luck at QB probably would not of loss 2 games to the Titans.

I say this only to point out that the best 2 QBs in the 2015 draft has not helped their teams turn around into some perennial winner.

The draft is a gamble and I don't think OBD is going to go "all in".

56 minutes ago, sleeby said:

I agree.  Buffalo has a fascination for a magical bullet - a one shot that hits perfectly.  See the sabers.  Remember the odd bass pro in the old aud will somehow resurrect the city?  Thr city is now on the right path by doing multiple, obvious things to improve and not fantasizing about nonsense. 

I hope the process is not playing roulette and putting all in on one guy.  If that guy fails it will set us back at least two more years due to all the picks we gave away.  Luck has not been strong here and yet so many fancy that route.  

I also think that getting that WC appearance was for the whiny fans (ticket sales).  We could be looking at picks 5 and 22 now.  Or 10 and 22.  I do seem to be alone in that logic here though; here meaning all of buffalo, heh.

By definition you are correct - they were in the playoffs.  They stood as close to zero a chance of a Superbowl appearance as about any WC ever has though.  They were the red meat for the WC weekend to feast on was all.

For a franchise that had missed 17 post seasons they did exactly what they should have. They made the playoffs. They didn't get embarrassed. Well, the offense did...but the franchise didn't get blown out. They had a shot to win in round 1.

Everyone knew going into the game that Buffalo was not really a Super Bowl team. Not a news flash. Now it's their job to build on that success. From the time Beane and McDermott took over the mantra has been win today and win tomorrow. They accomplished the first part. Was it a Championship season? No, but only 1 in 32 teams can say that it was a year. But it was a winning season.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They actually put us around pick #5. And that's with a 10% tax.

Depends which chart you use and how much "tax" you give, but I get your point.

My point is get whatever QB you can get with the 2 firsts if we don't get a guy in FA.

I will state again, I, personally, don't think Beane and McDermott are giving up these 3-1sts, 1-2nd and player type trades.

They want to build their type of players thru the draft like Carolina and Pittsburg have.

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Nooooo lol.

No way I would go after cousins especially at 27 to 30 mil per year 

I'm not sure that there isn't some logic to it, if properly structured.  The Bills will be loading the roster with seven or eight 'cheap' draft picks this year. I'd imagine that will clear space for Cousin's hefty contract for the next few years....no?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Depends which chart you use and how much "tax" you give, but I get your point.

My point is get whatever QB you can get with the 2 firsts if we don't get a guy in FA.

I will state again, I, personally, don't think Beane and McDermott are giving up these 3-1sts, 1-2nd and player type trades.

They want to build their type of players thru the draft like Carolina and Pittsburg have.

Agree to disagree. I don't think they mind being like the Eagles or the Rams as long as they achieve sustainable success.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not sure that there isn't some logic to it, if properly structured.  The Bills will be loading the roster with seven or eight 'cheap' draft picks this year. I'd imagine that will clear space for Cousin's hefty contract for the next few years....no?

I see your points.

Im just personally not sold on Cousins as a franchise guy.

If he was even like a Matt Ryan type then I would have no problem with the Bills spending a ton of money at the QB position 

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I see your points.

If he was even like a Matt Ryan type then I would have no problem with the Bills spending a ton of money at the QB position 

I'm not a huge Cousins fan either, but it sort of doesn't matter what they pay him as long as the Rookie is ready to compete on his Rookie Contract and everyone else fits inside the Cap.  Put it this way........are you losing sleep over Dareus?  They're paying him and he's not even on the roster anymore!

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Agree to disagree. I don't think they mind being like the Eagles or the Rams as long as they achieve sustainable success.

Fair enough.  The Eagles have a great team and where a good QB away from success.

Whether the Rams can achieve sustainable success is yet to be seen.

If Beane pulls the trigger all the way up to #2 overall it will be very exciting and I hope it will work out great.

I just don't think they will do it.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not a huge Cousins fan either, but it sort of doesn't matter what they pay him as long as the Rookie is ready to compete on his Rookie Contract and everyone else fits inside the Cap.  Put it this way........are you losing sleep over Dareus?  They're paying him and he's not even on the roster anymore!

Oh ok so you’re suggesting draft a rookie and sign cousins?

I would personally do one or the other.

Ideally I would love for the Bills to go all in and try to get Rosen or Allen

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

I see your points.

I don't understand.

Since becoming a starter in 2015, Cousins' and Ryan's production numbers are incredibly similar (and Cousins doesn't have Julio Jones or a run game). 0.1% difference in Completion %, 10 YPG difference, and Kirk has accounted for 15 more TDs and 2 more Turnovers than Matt Ryan in those 3 years. I think Cousins has more game winning drives in that span too.

58 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I will say I think the ceiling is higher on Darnold than Peterman. The jury is still out on both. Darnold has a stronger arm. I'm not sure what Peterman had anything to do with this.

You said Darnold is a turnover machine.   I instantly thought of Peterman.  :D

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't understand.

Since becoming a starter in 2015, Cousins' and Ryan's production numbers are incredibly similar (and Cousins doesn't have Julio Jones or a run game). 0.1% difference in Completion %, 10 YPG difference, and Kirk has accounted for 15 more TDs and 2 more Turnovers than Matt Ryan in those 3 years. I think Cousins has more game winning drives in that span too.

Cousins is the king of fantasy football.

He will throw 3 tds and then throw an interception in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line.

I get wins and losses aren’t everything to measure a QB, but what is Cousins career wins and loss record? I’m guessing .500 at best?

No playoff wins either and only 1 playoff game .

Ryan has won an MVP and has been to a super bowl. Should have won the SB if his coaches and defence didn’t crap the bed.

They aren’t comparable QBs in my opinion. Maybe in fantasy but that’s it

13 hours ago, QBorBust2018 said:

No excuse for passing on Mahomes & Watson last year. It’s always been “next year”, for the last 20 years. Obviously the most important position. Will the incompetent bills fail to get their guy after acquiring an extra first round pick ?

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or bust !

Ill just have to start watching the WNBA after the bills fail to secure one of these guys and miss playoffs next year. 

Please give me a reason to buy tickets this year. 

Go bills !

I’m 33. If the Bills !@#$ this up I’m done. I’m done watching **** football. 

17 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Oh ok so you’re suggesting draft a rookie and sign cousins?

I would personally do one or the other.

Ideally I would love for the Bills to go all in and try to get Rosen or Allen

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting.  If the Rookie is ready in a year or two, (like the Chiefs think with Mahomes) you unload Cousins on the next team that's in need in 2020.  If the Rookie isn't ready, no harm done.  If Cousins turns out to be the real deal....then it doesn't matter that the Rookie is sitting there, and you probably have an opportunity to trade him.

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Cousins is the king of fantasy football.

He will throw 3 tds and then throw an interception in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line.

I get wins and losses aren’t everything to measure a QB, but what is Cousins career wins and loss record? I’m guessing .500 at best?

No playoff wins either and only 1 playoff game .

Ryan has won an MVP and has been to a super bowl. Should have won the SB if his coaches and defence didn’t crap the bed.

They aren’t comparable QBs in my opinion. Maybe in fantasy but that’s it

W/L isn't on just the QB, but I'll entertain regardless.

His record since becoming the full time starter is 24-23-1. For someone who 'throws an interception in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line' he has 7 4th Quarter Comebacks and 11 Game Winning Drives since 2015.

In 'his' playoff loss he was 29/46 (63%) for 329 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT, and he had a Rushing TD.

Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins are incredibly comparable NFL QBs. One just happens to be on a better team.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I’m 33. If the Bills !@#$ this up I’m done. I’m done watching **** football. 

I agree with the Dude on this one: Best QB draft in recent memory, and Bills have two 1sts and two 2nds and a screaming need for a quarterback.

It's not rocket science. We shouldn't overpay for a free agent, we shouldn't get cute, we should just use our draft capital to move up and take the QB we like best. I don't want to hear "fill other holes and wait 'til next year!". No. We've been filling holes for years, but because we haven't had a good QB, we've been spinning our wheels. 

Epic QB class, lots of draft capital, big need...don't mess this up, don't overthink it. Trade up, get your guy, and let's roll.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree with the Dude on this one: Best QB draft in recent memory, and Bills have two 1sts and two 2nds and a screaming need for a quarterback.

It's not rocket science. We shouldn't overpay for a free agent, we shouldn't get cute, we should just use our draft capital to move up and take the QB we like best. I don't want to hear "fill other holes and wait 'til next year!". No. We've been filling holes for years, but because we haven't had a good QB, we've been spinning our wheels. 

Epic QB class, lots of draft capital, big need...don't mess this up, don't overthink it. Trade up, get your guy, and let's roll.

...I’ll say this though. If we end up with Foles I’ll be fine. If we end up with Foles the most likely reason is because the Giants, Colts and Browns wouldn’t sell. I won’t hold that against McBeane but I will say that’s why I was raging last year when they passed on Mahomes. 

“Buffalo, do you want to draft a franchise QB?”

”Naw, we’ll pass and take a CB!”

???????

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

W/L isn't on just the QB, but I'll entertain regardless.

His record since becoming the full time starter is 24-23-1. For someone who 'throws an interception in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line' he has 7 4th Quarter Comebacks and 11 Game Winning Drives since 2015.

In 'his' playoff loss he was 29/46 (63%) for 329 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT, and he had a Rushing TD.

Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins are incredibly comparable NFL QBs. One just happens to be on a better team.

I appreciate you taking the time to check the stats.

But I still disagree with your last line . Cousins has been in some very friendly QB systems and has had tons of playmakers as well.

Just look at Mcvay this year.

Cousins had him for what was it, 2 or 3 years?

You can argue Goff (a qb who was awful before Mcvay came) had more success with Mcvay in 1 year than Cousins had with Mcvay in those 2 to 3 years.

Now I’m not saying cousins sucks as I think he’s an above average QB.

But no way I can put him top 10 where I have Matt Ryan.

Cousins has had some excellent coaches and players around him on both sides of the ball and really hasn’t accomplished anything outside of good fantasy numbers so far in his career.

Not taking Watson was a mistake based on his performance this year with the Texans.  Mahones....not so sure yet about him.   The only thing we know now about Mahones that we didn't know a year ago is that KC is willing to stake their future on him and let Alex Smith go.  The game Mahones played this year was strictly an exhibition job that didn't count in the season outcome. (unfortunately familiar with that type of g ame as  Bills fan)  I don't favor moving up....to many holes and needs....take a shot a Mason Rudolph at #21 says me. (or Lamar Jackson)  The bills aren't a QB away...they are a dozen starters away from making the playoffs again.

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm all for trading up but I don't think we can expect all of our holes to be patched up in FA or with whatever picks are left from moving up.  There will certainly be holes left and I'm okay with that.  The rebuilding continues with a big step of getting the franchise QB.  

We did pretty good with the players we had last year, we don't have fill them all this year.

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I appreciate you taking the time to check the stats.

But I still disagree with your last line . Cousins has been in some very friendly QB systems and has had tons of playmakers as well.

Just look at Mcvay this year.

Cousins had him for what was it, 2 or 3 years?

You can argue Goff (a qb who was awful before Mcvay came) had more success with Mcvay in 1 year than Cousins had with Mcvay in those 2 to 3 years.

Now I’m not saying cousins sucks as I think he’s an above average QB.

But no way I can put him top 10 where I have Matt Ryan.

Cousins has had some excellent coaches and players around him on both sides of the ball and really hasn’t accomplished anything outside of good fantasy numbers so far in his career.

He had McVay for 2, just like Matt Ryan had Kyle Shanahan for 2. Washington has never had the playmakers that the Falcons do.

10 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

The logic of this continues to escape me, as we've done this exact same thing for 20+ years.   Sure, let's reload on our 7-9 or 9-7 roster in order to stay at 7-9 or 9-7.  The good organizations reload and/or rebuild around a QB and fill in with lower round finds.

Actually that NOT what the Bills have done for 20+ years.   They NEVER "reloaded" but rather shuffled deck chairs on the Titanic by continuously drafting RBs, DBs, and WRs to replace the good ones they let walk away.  They were more interested in eeking out the last $ of profit on the bottom line than in winning football games.  That's why they had a 17 year playoff drought, not because they didn't draft QBs in the first round, because, of course, they traded a first round pick for a franchise QB in 2002 and then drafted 2 first rounders.

They did EXACTLY what you want (trade up) in 2004 to take JP Losman.   They also selected EJ Manuel in the first round in 2013.  Both busted.  Trading up for Losman cost them a shot at Aaron Rodgers the next year.  Taking Manuel precluded them taking Bridgewater in 2014 because when a team drafts a first round QB, they're generally committed to him for 4 years unless he's an outright bust like Manziel.

No player in the draft comes with a guarantee, and that's especially true of QBs. 

7 hours ago, Bills365 said:

it is odd that we would pass on Watson and mahomes considering they were both on the board and then only try to trade the pick we received for the trade and a boatload of others to try to move up for another unproven? we need a qb of the future and its been long overdue for over a decade I just don't get why we didn't take are shot last year.

It's not odd at all.  My guess is that they didn't think they were going to make NFL QBs.  Taking a QB in the first round just to placate fans gets you JP Losman and EJ Manuel.  Losman might have been around in the 2nd, and if he wasn't no great loss.  The Bills would have been much better off using the 2nd rounder they traded to Dallas on Matt Schaub, who was a decent starter for several years in Houston.  Since none of the QBs in 2013 were worth crap, passing on Manuel would have been a positive thing.

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes, more than us agreeing I believe Beane and McDermott are not gambling anything more than our 2-1st's on a QB.

Our 2 #1's get us to about 10.

Tampa had Winston #1 overall.  His 3 year combined record is 20-28.

Titans with Mariota is 21-27.  I would also argue that the Titans 9-7 record would be less if the Colts and Texans had a QB for the year.

Colts with Luck at QB probably would not of loss 2 games to the Titans.

I say this only to point out that the best 2 QBs in the 2015 draft has not helped their teams turn around into some perennial winner.

The draft is a gamble and I don't think OBD is going to go "all in".

Too many Bills fans forget that the draft is a gamble.  They've convinced themselves that all the Bills problems stem from not drafting first round QBs when in reality not drafting the right first round QB was simply a symptom of the numerous problems that beset this franchise over the last two decades of Ralph Wilson's ownership and into the first years of the Pegulas' ownership.  I'm much more hopeful that the new regime is committed to winning than I was even at this time last year. I don't think that McDermott will take a QB that he doesn't like just to take one.  He wants to win too much, and I think he's the one who has control of the personnel. 

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting.  If the Rookie is ready in a year or two, (like the Chiefs think with Mahomes) you unload Cousins on the next team that's in need in 2020.  If the Rookie isn't ready, no harm done.  If Cousins turns out to be the real deal....then it doesn't matter that the Rookie is sitting there, and you probably have an opportunity to trade him.

If the Bills sign Cousins, there will be no rookie first round QB in 2018 because he's the guy who will be their franchise guy going forward for 4 or 5 years or whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Actually that NOT what the Bills have done for 20+ years.   They NEVER "reloaded" but rather shuffled deck chairs on the Titanic by continuously drafting RBs, DBs, and WRs to replace the good ones they let walk away.  They were more interested in eeking out the last $ of profit on the bottom line than in winning football games.  That's why they had a 17 year playoff drought, not because they didn't draft QBs in the first round, because, of course, they traded a first round pick for a franchise QB in 2002 and then drafted 2 first rounders.

They did EXACTLY what you want (trade up) in 2004 to take JP Losman.   They also selected EJ Manuel in the first round in 2013.  Both busted.  Trading up for Losman cost them a shot at Aaron Rodgers the next year.  Taking Manuel precluded them taking Bridgewater in 2014 because when a team drafts a first round QB, they're generally committed to him for 4 years unless he's an outright bust like Manziel.

No player in the draft comes with a guarantee, and that's especially true of QBs. 

It's not odd at all.  My guess is that they didn't think they were going to make NFL QBs.  Taking a QB in the first round just to placate fans gets you JP Losman and EJ Manuel.  Losman might have been around in the 2nd, and if he wasn't no great loss.  The Bills would have been much better off using the 2nd rounder they traded to Dallas on Matt Schaub, who was a decent starter for several years in Houston.  Since none of the QBs in 2013 were worth crap, passing on Manuel would have been a positive thing.

Too many Bills fans forget that the draft is a gamble.  They've convinced themselves that all the Bills problems stem from not drafting first round QBs when in reality not drafting the right first round QB was simply a symptom of the numerous problems that beset this franchise over the last two decades of Ralph Wilson's ownership and into the first years of the Pegulas' ownership.  I'm much more hopeful that the new regime is committed to winning than I was even at this time last year. I don't think that McDermott will take a QB that he doesn't like just to take one.  He wants to win too much, and I think he's the one who has control of the personnel. 

All great points.

Building a team (the way I see Beane and McDermott want to build one) is methodical.  They don't strike me as big risk takers.

If they see a QB they think is an "upgrade" they will pursue it, but not to the detriment of the rest of their plan.

I for one am so interested in this offseason because we will see what they are made of and how they think!

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

If the Bills sign Cousins, there will be no rookie first round QB in 2018 because he's the guy who will be their franchise guy going forward for 4 or 5 years or whatever.

I suspect that many will find it painful to face what you have pointed out.  What if by the metric that Beane and McDermott are using that nobody grades above the 21st pick and 4 QB's are off the board when we do choose ?  Despite what is said here I doubt that many believe the Bills used a satisfactory metric if the chosen QB of each board member is not selected.  We will truly know that the current regime is incapable of building a team if they take a QB to satisfy a vocal but tiny minority here.